PG Music Home
I am by no means a composer, but recently tried my hand at writing an instrumental. This is my first attempt at anything, and I thought of sharing it in the User Showcase.

The song was composed on Piano and then I initially created a backing using BiaB, which I then took into RealBand for final mixing. The style is a contemporary medium Bossa style.

I used the following RealTracks
921:Bass, Acoustic, Bossa Ev 110
923:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm BossaFreeComp Ev 110
BossaBrushes: a: Sidestick Brushes b: Sidestick, Ride

The song is intended to have an 'easy listening' style, so I just tried to keep a smooth Bossa feel throughout.

I arranged and played the Cellos, Viola and Violins parts. These were added with 'Kontakt Session Strings'. The Violins parts were written to play unisons with the piano in places.

All piano is played by me, which was just recorded live into the melody track.

Anyway, I would be pleased to received any comments, criticism (anything) that might be offered.

Two versions, same song:

Autumn Pulse (Vimeo)

Autumn Pulse (Soundcloud)

Thanks anyone for listening

Trev

Hi Trevor,

Wonderful music!

For someone who says "I am by no means a composer", you have an excellent sense of melody and harmony. You definitely should keep on composing. DEFINITELY!!!

On my system the drums were very quiet. If you ever decide to revisit the mix at some point in time, I'd try bringing them up a little. Also, if the drums are lifted, the strings, too, may also need to be brought up a notch or two in dB.

Overall, though, this is beautiful. Excellent piano work. I thoroughly enjoyed the listen. It's a great first entry in the Users Showcase forum!

Regards,
Noel

Thanks for thinking of us on the PG Forum. Very impressive work. Excellent composition and I like that you didn't ever complicate or overplay anywhere throughout the song.

The only recommendation I can make is to keep it up. You are more than capable as a composer, arranger, and producer. You should definitely keep writing and of course, sharing with us here on the PG Forum.

Charlie
Very good "1st". I liked the whole thing. Especially right around the 2 minute mark I felt it really started to hit its stride in a very good way. Not sure if you changed something there. It just seemed to lay.back more. Keep it up.
Hi, Trevor !

Whaddayamean "no Composer" ?
If this is not one of the best
compositions I have ever heard
I do not know what is ????

IMO you are as ready as a composer
as anyone else on this forum, you
do not need to downplay yourself !
This is simply brilliant and it so
happens that I happen to like this
kind of music also very much !!

Keep doing what you were created for !!!:))

Cheers
Dani
I'm not sure you're "not a composer". In fact, I'm quite sure you are!! This is really pretty. And the piano playing sounds amazing to me. Killer job!! Take care. Greg
Hi Trevor,

you're not only a composer but a great piano player.
I wonder why this is your first post. You've been around
for quite long. We want more!
I'm just going to my third listen.

Guenter
Trevor,
Really nice piece. Keep it up. I can't wait to hear your next composition.

SD
Trev you are most certainly a composer and a good one at that! This is one beautiful song!

You are also one excellent pianist! Those strings sound perfect, isn't Kontakt great for sounds?

I do have a couple of what I hope you view as constructive comments. One is that the drums have to be more out front and two in spots so does the strings. This of course would mean a complete remix to balance everything out but IMHO it would take it over the top. Again this is just me and others may or may not agree.

But whatever you do keep composing!
Marvelous Trevor. You have a wonderful touch on the piano and the arrangement is beautiful.

Josie
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Trevor,

Wonderful music!

For someone who says "I am by no means a composer", you have an excellent sense of melody and harmony. You definitely should keep on composing. DEFINITELY!!!

On my system the drums were very quiet. If you ever decide to revisit the mix at some point in time, I'd try bringing them up a little. Also, if the drums are lifted, the strings, too, may also need to be brought up a notch or two in dB.

Overall, though, this is beautiful. Excellent piano work. I thoroughly enjoyed the listen. It's a great first entry in the Users Showcase forum!

Regards,
Noel

Thanks Noel for your inspirational comments and positive feedback. Your points are taken on board, I'll look at levels a little more carefully. Thanks again

Trevor
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Trevor !

Whaddayamean "no Composer" ?
If this is not one of the best
compositions I have ever heard
I do not know what is ????

IMO you are as ready as a composer
as anyone else on this forum, you
do not need to downplay yourself !
This is simply brilliant and it so
happens that I happen to like this
kind of music also very much !!

Keep doing what you were created for !!!:))

Cheers
Dani

Thanks Dani. This feedback is sure giving me a lot of inspiration! Appreciate your comments.
Trev
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Trevor,

you're not only a composer but a great piano player.
I wonder why this is your first post. You've been around
for quite long. We want more!
I'm just going to my third listen.

Guenter

Guenter, thanks again. Normally I just use BIAB for playing along with. Mainly jazz standards. I'm obviously not taking full advantage of the features. I need to knuckle-down a bit more and try writing...
Your kind words are appreciated.
Trev
Trevor,

Gotta agree with everything that has already been said...

A truly delightful tune. Beautifully composed! Your playing has feeling... lively, comfortable, musical. It falls on the ear so very nicely! The song itself... sounds like a song!!! not just noodling. Listenable from start to finish.

The soundcloud version has a "smoothness" that the video version seems to lack (there almost seemed some distortion to the video soundtrack - might be my imagination). I would agree that the drums and strings could come up some. Nice job on the strings - a great flow to them...

Do this again!!! A lot!!! Tasty!!! I'm STILL hearing it in my head...

floyd
Enjoyable listen, well mix music!
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Trev you are most certainly a composer and a good one at that! This is one beautiful song!

You are also one excellent pianist! Those strings sound perfect, isn't Kontakt great for sounds?

I do have a couple of what I hope you view as constructive comments. One is that the drums have to be more out front and two in spots so does the strings. This of course would mean a complete remix to balance everything out but IMHO it would take it over the top. Again this is just me and others may or may not agree.

But whatever you do keep composing!

Hi Mario, yours and others feedback is appreciated.

I have remixed, brought the drums in a bit more (increased by 5.4dB) and raised the cellos and violas slightly for the first chorus, but left the violins at the same level.

Overall I believe there is an improvement, and I have kept the balance that I had been looking for.

Thanks again
Trev
That is a beautiful piece of work....beautifully arranged, played and mixed. Many would wish for half of your "by no means a composer" talent. Janice and I are listening while looking out across our porch into a forest that will soon transition to an autumn wonderland. Perfect. Thanks.
Lovely music Videotrack, well composed. Lots of hard work must have gone in to bring it up to that standard.

And I love the video with it too, I know that in lots of cases in the websites such as soundcloud you get a better quality sound, but I do like a video with music any day.

The video scenes fit perfectly, I can imagine myself cruising down that river, the music playing, though I do hope no crocs about....lol

Great job on both Trevor the music and the video.

Musiclover
Hi Trev, +10 to what Noel said. Being an instrumental lover myself I really dig this one,Also agree that the drums are kind of low volume, not sure about raising the volume of the strings though. Experiment with the drums first IMHO. Good stuff, love the progression.

Mike B.
I ditto everything all has said. VERY very nicely done. Please continue composing. Can't wait to hear the next one.
Originally Posted By: Sundance
Marvelous Trevor. You have a wonderful touch on the piano and the arrangement is beautiful.

Josie

Hi Josie
Thanks for your very encouraging words.

Thanks also to those who offered their comments and suggestions both in this Forum and separately. It's all been really appreciated

Cheers

Trevor
Thanks Mike

It's great to get positive feedback and suggestions from all the other experts on the forum.

I'll have to see if I can maintain some creativeness!

Best

Trevor
Trevor,

I listened to the SoundCloud version and am impressed. Four wonderful highlights to this song, your piano playing, the arrangement, the mix and your use of dynamics. You did an excellent job with the string tracks, they complemented your playing without intruding.
Trevor ...

When you come in late, like we have here, everything we wanted to say has been said. We'll be somewhat redundant and say this is great composition and wonderful playing. The balance and dynamics all worked perfectly. terrific song and performance!

Alan & Di
VERY nice all around! I loved your piano playing style, and it is very easy to imagine this tune in a movie.

The distortion Floyd referred to may have been extreme lows that not every system can handle. The bass made my klipsch speakers rattle quite a bit, and I don't remember any other song doing that before. The bass itself was not terribly loud, so the speakers aren't rattling because of excessive volume..

I'm thinking if you used EQ to remove everything below the lowest frequency your monitors can handle, (ie, the lowest frequency that you can hear and mix effectively) you will be reasonably sure that what you hear is what others hear

But that's a small nit to pick when everything else is so dang well done! I'd like to hear More!
Wow, what's to say apart from this is top drawer in every respect!
A nice composition, terrific musicianship, tasteful and communicative piano playing, A1 engineering and mixing. Very nice indeed.
cool

John
Hi Al & Di

Thanks very much, and apologies for not thanking you sooner. I have been very pleased with the feedback.

Thanks again

Trevor
Pat, thanks for your comments. All taken on board, and genuinely appreciated.
Trev
Originally Posted By: Skyline
Wow, what's to say apart from this is top drawer in every respect!
A nice composition, terrific musicianship, tasteful and communicative piano playing, A1 engineering and mixing. Very nice indeed.
cool

John

John, sorry for the late acknowledgement. Your feedback is too kind, and definitely somewhat inspirational!

Appreciated greatly.

Cheers
Trevor
Hate to break it to you, Trev, but like it or not, you are now a composer - or at least a person who writes his own music, whatever you decide to call it. And "a thumpin' good one" at that!
Very nice.

Makes me want to go practice my scales so I can do pretty runs like that. smile
Hi Tevor ...

We thought it was wonderful ... almost magical. You can say you're not a composer ... but doesn't make it so! You are very talented composer. That was a real treat for our ears! Best to you. Hope to hear another original composition from you sometime in the near future!

Alan & Di
Hi Trevor,

This sounds very good.
The piano is fabulous!

Regards,
Rob
© PG Music Forums