PG Music Home
Posted By: JoanneCooper Light set me free (Instrumental) - 09/14/14 06:01 PM
Light set me Free

Hi All

Sorry I have been a bit scarce recently. I hope to change that over the next week or so. I have been busy with an album that I am wholly and completely sick of (isn't that the first mistake? Tweeking endlessly with the mix?)and I am no longer sure it is much good (I am sure that is always the case!!)

Anyway, our friend Mario introduced me to and helped me with working with midi. I purchased Dimension Pro for the grand old price of $15 and this is my first tune that I did with midi. It is for a friend who wants to use the music in yoga videos.

It is all midi, synth and a bird tweet loop. The basic track was produced in BIAB and it was mixed in RealBand.

I may get round to putting vocals in for the mantra "Light set me free"that is in the song title (one of these days!)

Any comments are always welcome as usual.
Posted By: RnAM Re: Light set me free (Instrumental) - 09/14/14 06:22 PM
Hi Joanne,

This is a beautiful tune, very suitable for yoga.
It surely calmed us down!

Regards,
Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Light set me free (Instrumental) - 09/14/14 09:41 PM
Very pretty!! Don't worry about your album. I'm sure it's great! I remember being heavily into my first CD and listening to the tracks, I couldn't even tell if the vocals were in tune. Once you have a little space, I'm sure you'll be very happy with the final product as the listeners on this forum have always been with your work. Take care!! Greg
Posted By: Al-David Re: Light set me free (Instrumental) - 09/15/14 12:46 AM
Hi Joanne ...

Indeed, very pretty! Soothing, relaxing and a real mood setter. Great job!

And like Greg said, put a little distance between yourself and the album for a short while ... then go back with fresh ears. I'll bet it's top shelf all the way! Best to you ...

Alan & Di
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Light set me free (Instrumental) - 09/15/14 02:36 AM
Great work for your first midi tune. Very soothing.

Charlie
Posted By: Skyline Re: Light set me free (Instrumental) - 09/15/14 09:28 AM
Very nice Josie, this got me off to a calm start this morning!
It's also very well mixed/engineered

John
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Light set me free (Instrumental) - 09/15/14 10:43 AM
Hi Rob, Anne marie, Greg, Al, Charlie and John

Thank you so much for listening and for your very nice comments. Hopefully it set off Monday to a good start
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Light set me free (Instrumental) - 09/15/14 11:46 AM
Josie, very nicely orchestrated, beautifully presented. An enjoyable and relaxing listen

Thanks

Trevor
Posted By: molsenhouse Re: Light set me free (Instrumental) - 09/15/14 04:16 PM
Soft, nice and beautiful instrumental! Almost a lullaby :-)
Definitly a good break in making an entire album. Good luck and always keep on making music!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Light set me free (Instrumental) - 09/15/14 09:52 PM
Joanne,

That was nicely put together. I grabbed the $15 DP, too. Haven't used it yet... but that piano sounded pretty nice...

A good yoga piece.

fj
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Light set me free (Instrumental) - 09/15/14 11:30 PM
hi Josie great job on this fits well for yoga thanks for sharing eric
Posted By: PatrickH Re: Light set me free (Instrumental) - 09/16/14 03:49 AM
Nice work. I have Dimension and Rapture. So many great sounds. You chose well for the yoga track!
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Light set me free (Instrumental) - 09/16/14 04:55 AM
Hi Trevor, Moslenhouse, Floyd, Eric and Patrick
Thank you so much. I am really enjoying taking a break from the album to work on these instrumental tunes. It is something I never thought I was much good at. I suppose you never know until you give it a try.'

Floyd, I do hope you get to use DP soon. It has opened up a whole new world for me. I can now explore all those styles I couldn't even think of using before because they had midi in them. I am also mixing midi and real tracks quite a bit.

Patrick, I haven't heard of or tried Rapture yet but DP has enough to keep me busy for the rest of my life!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Light set me free (Instrumental) - 09/16/14 02:33 PM
Mellow in a most positive way.....I've started viniyoga to help my back issues. I think it would be cool to play this for my first routine today. Thanks!!!
Posted By: Al-David Re: Light set me free (Instrumental) - 09/16/14 02:57 PM
I just picked up Dimension Pro on eBay ... but it cost me $24.00. Should be here next Monday or Tuesday. I used to be pretty good at pickin' ... before the focal dystonia kicked in ... but was never very good with the "gadgets"! we'll see how it goes .. looking forward to playing around with it. If I get lost or confused, I'll come yelling for help!

Alan
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Light set me free (Instrumental) - 09/16/14 03:30 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Mellow in a most positive way.....I've started viniyoga to help my back issues. I think it would be cool to play this for my first routine today. Thanks!!!

Hi bud. So glad you gonna use it for your yoga. Please pm your email and I will send you an mp 3 of the 7 minute version. That should help your back.
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Light set me free (Instrumental) - 09/16/14 03:34 PM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
I just picked up Dimension Pro on eBay ... but it cost me $24.00. Should be here next Monday or Tuesday. I used to be pretty good at pickin' ... before the focal dystonia kicked in ... but was never very good with the "gadgets"! we'll see how it goes .. looking forward to playing around with it. If I get lost or confused, I'll come yelling for help!

Alan

Hi Al
You're going to enjoy exploring dimension pro. I am only just learning the ropes but Mario is an absolute wiz. Good luck!
Posted By: boehm Re: Light set me free (Instrumental) - 09/16/14 03:55 PM
Hi Josie,

if soothing, reassuring, comforting, relaxing and calming was your aim then you have accomplished it.
Very enjoyable listen.

Guenter
Posted By: dani48 Re: Light set me free (Instrumental) - 09/17/14 06:52 AM
Hi, Josie !:))

Late as ususal I really needed
this most soothing of tunes
to start up this beautiful day
over here in Helsinki ! I am prepping
myself to meet with my new ladyfriend
down at the market place ( it is no
more than a 1,5 km walk from where
I live) ! :)) You are perfectly right,
at least I share your feelings when it
comes to working with a record, you´ll never
be perfectly satisfied with the end result
but then again, maybe that is just how it
should be ??

The best of luck with your album !:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: gibson Re: Light set me free (Instrumental) - 09/17/14 07:18 AM
Josie,

Whilst listening to your song I got stuck in the lotus position and needed help from a neighbour to move again. grin

Seriously tho' BIAB is great with the right MIDI VSTi.
You ought to have a look at EMU Proteus free and UVI workstation free THose are the only ones I can remember but if you wish I will, when next on my music computer get a list of all the other free ones I have. I like the word free. blush

enjoyed

Alyn
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Light set me free (Instrumental) - 09/17/14 02:12 PM
Guenter. Thanks so much for your very nice comments.'

Dani - I hope your meeting with your lady went well. I am sure you were your normal charming self.

Alyn - You are very funny!! I can just imagine you getting stuck in the lotus position. Don't try that again!! Thanks for those links. Will make a note of them but I certainly have enough in DP to keep me busy for a while. The only thing I think is lacking is special effects. Right now a piece I am working on could do with a howling wind but there are no loops in BIAB for that and I didn't see anything in DP.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Light set me free (Instrumental) - 09/17/14 03:17 PM
Very nice and those birds give it a real nature feeling.

I'm sure based on what I've heard you do so far that your album is fine, like Greg said you just need some space from it so you can hear it again with fresh ears. I can get OCD on mixing so I can relate. smile

Josie
Posted By: MarioD Re: Light set me free (Instrumental) - 09/18/14 12:06 AM
Josie, this is excellent! It didn't take you long to get into MIDI!

This will work well for any meditation routines.

Great job on this.
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Light set me free (Instrumental) - 09/18/14 08:51 AM
Josie - Thanks for that. I really appreciate it. It is an achievement I supposed. Next I am going to be working on a "Dylan and Denver uncovered" compilation. Should be fun. The people who are releasing the album were impressed with the production so all kudos to BIAB on that one.

Mario - Thanks for all your help in getting me up and running with midi. I really appreciate it and am having such fun! I am working on a "score" for another friend who is doing an advert for a windshield company. It is going to be all midi.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Light set me free (Instrumental) - 09/18/14 10:12 AM
Hi Josie,

Very well done! I enjoyed the listen - calming and soothing. Also, congrats on getting MIDI tamed. It's an incredibly productive door to open.

All the best with your album!
Noel
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: Light set me free (Instrumental) - 09/20/14 05:21 AM
This is beautiful; nice and soothing; thanks for sharing!
© PG Music Forums