PG Music Home
Posted By: MarioD Funky City - 09/17/14 03:03 PM
[Link no longer valid]

This is the second song that I wrote during my two hour no student gap.

I used BiaB style City2-70s funky Soundtrack gro. I kept the bass, drums, and strings (changed to a B3) but I modified each to fit the song. The other tracks were deleted.

JonD is playing the backing horns via his keyboard MIDI controller.

I am playing the Flute via my wind controller. I copied and lowered the octave of the flute and changed that track to a Bari Sax. I am also playing the guitar part.

Let us know what you think.

Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Funky City - 09/17/14 04:54 PM
Nice tune and the instruments worked well with your melody in this style.

Charlie
Posted By: Al-David Re: Funky City - 09/17/14 06:43 PM
Mario ... great stuff ... somewhere between Funky Disco and Motown. The horns are the perfect touch and you picking is great! Love all the breaks & syncopations. Killer tune! And that ending with the keys behind the horns was terrific. Best to ya ...

Alan & Di
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Funky City - 09/17/14 07:52 PM
Very cool stuff!! I could imagine this in a film against some city scene in a frenetic, comical setting. Excellent job!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: MarioD Re: Funky City - 09/17/14 11:44 PM
Thanx all for listening:

Charlie - thanx for the very kind comments.

Alan & Di - Thank you so much. I had to modify the BiaB tracks to add those breaks so I'm glad that you like them.

Greg - thanx for the very nice comments.
Posted By: boehm Re: Funky City - 09/18/14 01:02 PM
Hi Mario,

just funky! Like the breaks a lot, too.
Great guitar picking.

Guenter
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Funky City - 09/18/14 05:04 PM
Mario,

Great mix on this!

Smokin' guitar, dude!

The bass is cool. Organ, too. you do such nice work with the controller! On Jon's horns are well done.

Very different. And very fun listen.

You are on a roll!

fj
Posted By: dani48 Re: Funky City - 09/18/14 11:06 PM

Hi, Mario !:))

Even if I knew you are
a master on certain instruments
I was still much surprised by your
ability to pick out such fine tunes
as this one !:))

WOW !!!

Enjoyed listening to it !!!

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: cubanpete Re: Funky City - 09/20/14 12:37 AM
Hey Mario, good and funky stuff indeed! Good playing all around. And yes, the breaks are awesome.

Mike B.
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: Funky City - 09/20/14 05:16 AM
You need your students to cancel more often; 2 great tunes. Nice collab; thanks for sharing!
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Funky City - 09/21/14 01:54 AM
hi marioD great listen well done great guitar work thanks for sharing eric
Posted By: MarioD Re: Funky City - 09/22/14 12:02 AM
Thanx everyone for listening and the nice comments:

Guenter - thanx. I like those breaks also!

Floyd - coming from a great guitarist like yourself I really appreciate that smokin' guitar comment. That wind controller is still a work in progress.

Dani - thanx for that master comment but I am no master. I'm just a hacker that is trying to do a lot of stuff. Thank God that I can easily correct MIDI parts wink

Mike B - thanx so much. Every once in a while this ol' fart gets funky!

Robert - Ah no I don't want them to cancel. I need my money for my toys grin Thanx for the very nice comments.

Eric - thanx for commenting, I really appreciate the guitar comment.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Funky City - 09/22/14 12:11 AM
Hi Mario,

Another great musical excursion. The bass guitar really captivated me. The horns were great, the lead guitar was awesome, and the wind instruments - well who'd believe that they're a wind controller (you really have the knack, now).

You convinced me. This is fun music!

All the best,
Noel

P.S. Loved the ending.
Posted By: aleck rand Re: Funky City - 09/22/14 06:36 PM
Cookin' tune. Great horns with convincing shaking except at just one point where the mod wheel was unmistakable. Good changes, very - very - hot guitar. Your wind controller - does it have the standard fingering system common to the saxes and flute? So you can play that thing? Impressive, man.

Dean
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Funky City - 09/23/14 01:07 PM
Great listen. Man, if I could sit down and produce all that by myself I'd be insufferable! Likely never exit our music room. Super guitar chops and the wind controller is amazing. Heartfelt kudos.

J&B
Posted By: MarioD Re: Funky City - 09/24/14 02:15 PM
Thanx all who listened and commented:

Noel - thanx. I am not ready for prime time wind controller playing. What you hear is about 90% live and 10% edited. That's why I love MIDI, I can changed things!

Dean - Thanx. Actually there is no mod wheel used in the horns; the shake is built into one of the articulations. I have an Aria EWI-USB wind controller. It has a number of fingering options including both sax and flute. I use the modified trumpet fingering.

J&B - I spend a tremendous amount of time in my little studio, probably way to much time.

I really appreciate all of the very nice comments you all have given me.
Posted By: gibson Re: Funky City - 09/24/14 04:18 PM
Quote:
You are on a roll!
says floyd and I say how true!
Quite a productive 2 hours, you don't want students to not attend too often or the inspiration will slow down! And more importantly a man needs toys to play with grin

Alyn
Posted By: RnAM Re: Funky City - 09/24/14 08:29 PM
Hi Mario,

Very funky indeed!
This would do very nicely in a movie or documentary.
Another cool instrumental!

Regards,
Rob
© PG Music Forums