PG Music Home
Posted By: airtcon-161 SAM by Nels - 09/18/14 03:18 AM
Hi all, well it has been a very long time since I posted something here. This song was written by my friend Marinus Vandertogt. It's about a blacksmith standing watching his work place of many years being torn down for the sake of progress and remembering all the memories held within the walls . Please enjoy. I am doing the singing and all tracts were BIAB 2014. Midi piano using addictive keys Here is the link I hope:

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=12918812&q=hi

If the link doesn't work I might have to re think things, as I said it's been awhile

Nelson
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: SAM by Nels - 09/18/14 01:07 PM
Hi Nelson. I think this is the first post of yours I've heard. This is a very good song, written well and you've got a great mix. Enjoyed it and I hope you post again soon.

Charlie
Posted By: floyd jane Re: SAM by Nels - 09/18/14 04:57 PM
Nelson,

A very enjoyable listen. Well written story song (the lyric would be nice.. to follow along).

The production and mix are quite nice. The piano sounds really good. Drums and guitar are at good levels. The reverb on the vocal is a bit heavy (but reverb is a very subjective thing). You have a good singing voice - and this is very well-sung - in my opinion it doesn't need that much reverb. It is especially noticeable when the harmonies (which are quite nice, too) join in. The combination of reverb on vocal and harmony takes the singing "out of the mix". That is all just regarding the reverb and should in no way take away from how well done everything here is done.

Quite enjoyable.

floyd
Posted By: dani48 Re: SAM by Nels - 09/18/14 10:59 PM
Hi, Nelson !:))

I like this tune and your
singing voice very much and
most of all the superb harmony
vocal parts (as I love to sing
harmony myself) !:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: SAM by Nels - 09/20/14 03:13 AM
I agree with Floyd. Very nice song, and well-performed!! Reverb may be a bit overdone. With the drums, a bit more verb and maybe some eq would make them sit better. Really nice tune and well sung!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: SAM by Nels - 09/20/14 05:06 AM
Beautifully done in all aspects, good to see you posting again, thanks for sharing!
Posted By: airtcon-161 Re: SAM by Nels - 09/20/14 04:48 PM
Here is the lyric for those that are interested. Thanks to all that listened and left comments. There really appreciated very much. Thanks for the reverb comments, as said it is a very subjective thing we all have to deal with..

Nelson

VERSE

Standin there alone with his pipe full of memories
Looking over a building torn away
With a tear in his eye
looking over a lifetime
He had to say goodbye

BRIDGE
Cold winter afternoons kept the fires burnin high
And friends dropped in to pass the time
Faded dailies of two wars and the friends he left behind
Funny how some sixty years went by

VERSE

Think of all the years as far as he can remember
It's like they've taken part of him away
In his eyes he can see, like the day never ended
The way it used to be
Posted By: Skyline Re: SAM by Nels - 09/20/14 09:24 PM
A very moving song, Nelson. Passionately sung, nicely arranged and engineered. I loved the key changes starting at 3:02.
cool

John
Posted By: PatrickH Re: SAM by Nels - 09/20/14 11:56 PM
Real nice. +1 to the nice modulation change at the solo section.
Posted By: sixchannel Re: SAM by Nels - 09/20/14 11:57 PM
Ah Nels, Life is all about Memories. Often, its all we have left.
This is a great song, full of accurate observation.
Yeah, maybe the Verb was up a bit but it didn't spoil it one bit for me.
Nice guitar break - suits perfectly.
Well done
Cheers
Ian
Posted By: Al-David Re: SAM by Nels - 09/21/14 02:12 AM
HI Nelson ...

I think this is the first of y our songs we've listened to. A very sad song, but well done. Your selection of tracks is just perfect for the song...in other words, great prosody. Very nice, indeed! Wishing you well ...

Alan & Di
Posted By: Noel96 Re: SAM by Nels - 09/21/14 02:48 AM
Hi Nels,

Very enjoyable indeed.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Sundance Re: SAM by Nels - 09/21/14 02:51 PM
This is so pretty. The vocal, arrangement and lyrics all work well. I especially like the melody.

Josie
Posted By: MarioD Re: SAM by Nels - 09/21/14 11:52 PM
Nels I think this is the first time I have heard one of your songs.

It's all been said, great mix, instrumentation, and vocals. Your voice and these lyrics are a perfect match. I could feel that blacksmith' pain in your vocals, excellent job on that!

I think the reverb on your voice is set just right, but as already been mentioned that is a personal choice. Personally I would leave it as is.

Super job on this song.
Posted By: gibson Re: SAM by Nels - 09/22/14 05:42 AM
Nelson,
What an emotive song.
I thoroughly enjoyed it and think the reverb is OK myself

thanks for sharing

Alyn
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: SAM by Nels - 09/23/14 12:37 PM
Great imagery. Enjoyed it!

J&B
Posted By: RnAM Re: SAM by Nels - 09/24/14 09:07 PM
Hi Nelson,

yes, I definitely like this one!
very moving, the backing vocals are also very good.

Regards,
Rob
Posted By: airtcon-161 Re: SAM by Nels - 10/01/14 02:40 PM
Hi, thanks again to all of you who have listened and left comments. They are all very much appreciated by Marinus and myself. Have been working hard on the next tune and hopefully will be posted soon. Take care

Nelson
© PG Music Forums