PG Music Home
Hello fellow Band in a Boxers. My music is currently homeless (living only on the work CD from which this song is drawn) as I am metamorphasizing my music set up). This is a song I posted recently in a kinder, gentler form. A few people pointed out, and rightly so, that it didn't really work, particularly the horns. Having not a lot of other options, since I can't really play any instrument worth a damn, I decided to take another approach........turn everything to 11. For some reason, the Soundcloud version seems to compress in few areas like my first post of the song (cursed song?) but I think the vibe is apparent. Anyway, see what you think and give your honest opinion. If it is another swing and a miss, I can swing again (3 strikes you know), and Hell, I can even get up to bat with a fresh count again. Take care. Greg

https://soundcloud.com/gjohnson-2/dont-radicl
Well, I like this version a lot. The guitar solos are great and the arrangement fits it much better to me. I like the echo on your vocal too. There's some swirliness going on but that could be SC....

The vibe is apparent and it's a really good one.

Josie
Thanks Josie! Actually, the swirliness is in the plugin. I used Waves CLA fx plugin which is pretty wild. I was kinda going for a radical Hendrix thing. Appreciate your kind words. Take care. Greg
Greg,

My first post has mysteriously not appeared, weird crazy

Anyway I agree with the Hendrix vibe, nice guitar solo.

When I first read your post I thought YOU were homeless but soon calmed down when I put my glasses on LOL

take care

Alyn
Greg -

A very interesting treatment. And fun to listen to.

The band is super! The guitar solos are excellent. The mix is good.

I like the vocal treatment (lennon-ish... that seems to be "going 'round" these days smile ). I thought it (the vocal) was a little too loud/out-front. I think it would work better (perfectly) if it were "tucked back" in the mix more - blended in might be a better description...

Which I guess would be hard with your music in an alley somewhere pushing an old shopping cart, dressed in rags, muttering to itself....

It is a very cool song (well sung, btw). It is still bouncing around in my head...

floyd
HI Greg ...

Interesting and fabulous! The vocal treatment is super!

And like a couple of folks have already said, has somewhat of a Hendrix sound. And the extra reverb on the guitar is a perfect blend ... and a really nice tone. The vocal is the shining star in this production , though possibly just a wee bit too much in front of the mix. This is some real down and out Blues! Great job! Best to ya ...

Alan & Di
Hey Greg,

Powerhouse guitar, voice, effects. A clean knockout in the first round.

Dean
Hi, Greg !:))

I can hear the sincerity
in your voice ! That is what
I call "the real thing" !!
I found this a very good listen,
yes, maybe one of your best ?

Cheers
Dani
Originally Posted By: Sundance
Well, I like this version a lot. The guitar solos are great and the arrangement fits it much better to me. I like the echo on your vocal too. There's some swirliness going on but that could be SC....

The vibe is apparent and it's a really good one.

Josie

Plus one from me too.
skuze me while I kiss thesky.......

Normally I'm not a fan of the flanged echo sound you got going on here but this works.

I like it better than the first version.
Zero nits here. It's a thin line from "too out front" and "lost" re mixing vocals.
I seem to always err on the side of too out front. With a great vocal like this it's
a good side of the fence to sit on. I'm never sure where the sweet spot is anyway
but I keep trying to figure it out.

I have no idea what the "swirliness" thing is.....perhaps I've listened to so much
Hendrix for the last 46 years that I don't notice these things anymore :-)

It's amazing what turning it up to 11 can do for some songs. Ozone's
Maximizer is a great way to experiment with that.

I just enjoyed the heck outa this and I know Janice will also.

Bud
Hi Greg,

very interesting version. Like it a lot.

Guenter
I like this version, it all fits perfect; thanks for sharing!
Greg, everything that I want to say has already been said!

As I listen to this I think more Robert Cray than Hendrix. But either way you are with good company!

I like this exactly the way it is mixed. That Spinal Tap treatment really worked.

I am a blues lover and as far as I am concerned this is a keeper!
Hi Greg,

I recall the first version, but this one's much better!
Personally I like some flange and delays on the vocals, so that's much appreciated here.
The guitar solo is very cool too!

Regards,
Rob
Fortunately, I'm not homeless and it appears my songs will have their new home (if all goes well) within a day or 2-I'm switching platforms from PT MP9 to UAD Apollo with a Macbook pro. I'm excited about the upgrade. Thanks so much for your kind words. I really enjoy your truly creative work! Take care. Greg
Thanks for the kind words Floyd. You were one of the ones who correctly pointed out that the horns didn't fit. Tom suggested a live rhythm track, but since that would be disastrous (if I played it), I decided to just pump up the intensity with FX-I used the waves CLA fx plugin which can get pretty much as radical as you want. I liked the edge better and felt like it released the true emotion of the song better (dark blues) but I wanted some honest confirmation. Thanks for taking the time. I always appreciate your great ears and honesty. Take care. Greg
Thanks Al and Di. I appreciate the kind words!! Always watching for new posts from you guys, and I have to say the last 2 were probably my faves! Take care. Greg
THanks for the kind words Dean. I am always impressed by the tasty treats and fine guitar work you bring to the forum! Also, love your profile pic!! Killer! Take care. Greg
Dani, thanks for the kind words. You are truly the hearth of this forum!! I always look forward to hearing your stuff, although I think I am late on your most recent-will get on it tomorrow and looking forward to it. Busy week! Take care. Greg
Thanks for the kind words Charlie. Much appreciated!!!

Herb, thanks for the compliment. I know you have great ears, and it makes me feel good that you think it works this way. It is possibly the most extreme mix I've done but I think it brought out the dark lyrical message that way. I don't have a big voice like BB King so I had to inject some steroid fx.

Janice and Bud. Many thanks!! I always love what you guys are doing (new one is killer!!) and am flattered that you think the new version works. I know you had some doubts about the first arrangement, as did I. I was hoping this gritty one would feel better, and to me it does, even though is is pretty edgy.

Take care all! Greg
Robert/Guenter, Thanks a lot for the positive feedback. I'm really glad you felt like it worked this way.

R @ A, really appreciate the support. Glad you liked the arrangement as you are some of the master arrangers/producers on the forum!!

Mario, you have been a virtual hit factory lately!! You are on a roll!! Love the quality and variety of your productions. Very appreciative of your kind words on the new mix. Means a lot to me.

Take care all! Greg
Hey Greg, just played this for Janice and she loved it -- particularly the unwelcome mat line.
© PG Music Forums