PG Music Home
Posted By: Charlie Fogle This Time - 10/02/14 04:10 AM
This is a different arrangement and recording of a song I previously posted titled "this time love wasn't blind".

This recording was done in late 2009 and the drums, bass and a synth electric guitar was used from a Yamaha Keyboard style. I played the acoustic guitar rhythm live.

Vocals were done by a friend, Bob Butler. The fade out was done at the 2009 recording session so no way to change it and just had to match the fade with the new tracks.

The lyrics are a bit different on this version from the other version.

The song was put through Biab ACW and then moved to Realband where the pedal steel guitar and piano were generated.

Background vocal was added and harmony parts generated in Realband. The song was mixed, completed and exported from Realband.

Hope you enjoy this version.

https://soundcloud.com/charlie-fogle/this-time
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: This Time - 10/02/14 05:45 AM
Very nice production, great vocal performance; thanks for sharing!
Posted By: RnAM Re: This Time - 10/02/14 03:17 PM
Hello Charlie,

Ah, Yamaha keyboard styles, I am familiar with those, used them before I started using BIAB. I used the program OneManBand (from Jos Maas), to play all available Yamaha styles on the computer with a MIDI keyboard.

The song:
You have merged the real tracks very nicely into the existing arrangement (the pedal is really functional here). Everything also sounds nicely in sync.
I like the song, although I rather would've heard you singing it.

Regards,
Rob
Posted By: Al-David Re: This Time - 10/02/14 03:45 PM
HI Charlie ...

Very nice Country song. I played lead guitar in a Country band for over 40 years. Bob's voice is perfect for this one ... he reminds me a little bit of Johnny Bush, particularly the way his voice breaks in places.

Sure is nice to add a little life to some of those old duster collectors! You did a real nice job resurrecting this one. good job! Best to ya ...

Alan & Di
Posted By: boehm Re: This Time - 10/02/14 04:12 PM
Hi Charlie,

much nicer arrangement than the older version from June this year. And, forgive me, I prefer the vocals.
Enjoyable listen.

Guenter
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: This Time - 10/02/14 07:03 PM
PGFantastic: Thanks for listening. I'll pass your thoughts on the vocals to Bob too.

R & AM: Hi Rob. I had a Yamaha PSR-910 prior to Biab. Similar to Biab in some ways, one track of audio and also has an on-board mp3/wave player/recorder. Had to dig deep into menus to access a lot of features. It also had a vocal harmony feature. Pretty advanced for the day. Preferred Biab/RB to it and sold it back in 2013.

The Song: Thank ACW for the chord chart and tempo map synch and F5 to mute/unmute the pedal steel. I used the RB TC Helicon over my backing vocals.

I sincerely appreciate your comment preferring on the lead vocals. That is an unexpected, pleasant surprise.

Alan & Di: Glad you enjoyed the song. I prefer this version over the earlier version I posted. Bob has a booming, resonant vocal with a lot of projection and in my opinion, sounds better in a live setting. He was also unfamiliar with this original song and usually spends a lot of time on phrasing when doing cover songs. Real tracks worked very well with the Yamaha style in this instance.

Guenter: I also think this is better version than the June submission. No problem with your preference of Bob on the vocals. Bob had to learn and record this song in a couple of hours. He practiced it a few times but it was recorded in a single take. He performs much better on cover songs he is familiar with. Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for posting.

Charlie
Posted By: dcuny Re: This Time - 10/02/14 07:51 PM
Good mix, and great first line to hook into the song.

Nicely done all around.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: This Time - 10/02/14 09:52 PM
Charlie,

Nice job of adding tracks to an existing recording. The steel works really well - like it was there all the time. A big sound to it all.

Bob does a fine job on the vocal. I imagine he could rattle off a few Elvis numbers and follow that up with some Conway... smile

Well done.

floyd
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: This Time - 10/03/14 01:01 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Good mix, and great first line to hook into the song.

Nicely done all around.

Thanks for listening David. My Dad said the same thing about that first line. I hadn't thought of that in quite a while.

Charlie
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: This Time - 10/03/14 01:05 PM
Thanks for your comments Floyd. You are right about Bob. He fancies himself as a Elvis knockoff and actually does a good job. He is a big fan and does a lot of Elvis Karaoke covers at local karaoke clubs and also makes cd's for friends. His 'stage name' is Evlis and he has that as a vanity license plate on his car. I think the pedal steel fits this song good also.

Charlie
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: This Time - 10/03/14 01:35 PM
Hi Charlie
Certainly the Elvis comments fit the bill. I enjoyed this very much. The vocals are very smooth. It is never easy fitting tracks to vocals that have already been recorded.
Is that you on the backup vocals?
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: This Time - 10/03/14 03:48 PM
Hi JosieC. Thanks for listening and glad you enjoyed the tune. Yes, I'm doing the backing vocals.

Charlie
Posted By: airtcon-161 Re: This Time - 10/03/14 03:59 PM
Hi, liked it. The vocal had a touch of Presley at certain times. Well done

Nels
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: This Time - 10/04/14 03:21 AM
HI Nels. Thanks for listening and your kind comments.

Charlie
Posted By: gibson Re: This Time - 10/05/14 08:38 AM
Charlie,

Well done to add the RTs to an already recorded song.
Your friend Bob certainly has the Elvis vibe in his voice.

A very enjoyable song

Alyn
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: This Time - 10/05/14 01:23 PM
Nice example of a very successful
update with BIAB. My efforts
at that haven't worked out.

Having become an Elvis fan
in the 50's as kid and remained
one ever since I certainly enjoyed
this....and so did the younger Janice!

J&B
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: This Time - 10/05/14 03:35 PM
Alyn: Thanks for listening and I'm glad you enjoyed the song. I'll pass your kind comments out to Evlis (his rendition of Elvis impersonator).

J&B: I appreciate your comments. I've had fun re-visiting some of these old tunes and reviving them and yes, it can be tedious and frustrating but I glad I did it and think it was worth the effort. I have more I could do and post but do not want to flood the forum.

Been thinking of getting back to something new and many folks have commented about Bob's Elvis tone, might be fun to write a song in the "style" of Elvis and feature Bob in his full-blown 'Evlis' character. He was not consciously trying to be Evlis in this song and he was not familiar with it since it was my original rather than a cover.

Or, if anyone already had a good Elvis style song and would want to collaborate on line to record his vocals, I would be glad to help out.

Charlie
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: This Time - 10/06/14 02:36 PM
Charlie,
Very nice. I don't remember the original but this version sounds great.
I've used the Yamaha styles to jump-start an arrangement. Felt like I was cheating, but the ends justified the means.
SD
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: This Time - 10/07/14 01:10 PM
Thanks for listening SD. I had a lot of fun with my Yamaha and liked the sounds it produced and I agree, the end justified the means.

Charlie
Posted By: tommyad Re: This Time - 10/07/14 01:41 PM
Charlie, Nice job on the steel editing. Bob nails the vocal. Good ol classic country. Love It! Tom
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: This Time - 10/08/14 03:17 AM
Thanks for listening and your kind comment Tom. It was fun using Biab to update this one.

Charlie
© PG Music Forums