PG Music Home
Posted By: floyd jane A Perfect Night - 10/03/14 04:20 PM
In commenting about "Make It To Macon", Charlie said...

"You left room for a follow up song with the story to whether you made it to Macon on time.
...looking forward to hearing 'the rest of the story'"

SO... here it is... (a couples of years down the road)

A PERFECT NIGHT

the rain's soakin' through a hole in my boot
and drippin' from the brim of my hat
i'm shiv'rin' from the chill of a western wind
not much i can do about that
been three hours on the side of this road
not a single car in sight
i'm cold and hungry and tired as hell
ain't this a perfect night

it's a perfect night
   for the way that i feel
   carrying around a heartache
   i know will never heal
   letting the rain fall on my face
   to hide the tears i've cried
   if a man's ever gonna break down

she's somewhere deep in lower alabama
i hope she's safe and warm
i hope she's found the love she deserves
in a good man's arms
i try to forget...she once was mine
and one day i just might
but most things still remind me she's gone
and ain't this a perfect night

it's a perfect night
   for the way that i feel
   carrying around a heartache
   i know will never heal
   letting the rain fall on my face
   to hide the tears i've cried
   if a man's ever gonna break down

Harmonies again by the janettes (Thank You Janice!!! ...and Bud)

...and The BAND...
RealTracks in song: ~~518:Bass, Electric, Pop HalfNotes Ev 085
RealTracks in song: ~~365:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 085
RealTracks in song: ~~2051:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking CountryBrent Ev 085
RealTracks in song: ~370:Pedal Steel, Background Hank Sw 120
RealTracks in song: 1669:Pedal Steel, Soloist CountryPaul Ev 120
RealTracks in song: ~542:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Dreamy Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 2203:Guitar, Electric, Soloist PopPromiseBrent Ev16 100
RealTracks in song: 1690:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm PopPromise Ev16 100
RealTracks in song: 2021:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm CountryBalladJohn Ev 120
RealDrums in Song: NashvilleEven8^1-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

Have at it.

floyd
Posted By: airtcon-161 Re: A Perfect Night - 10/03/14 04:30 PM
Hi Floyd, very well put together and sung. I guess we have all been there at sometime in our life and will be again lol. Liked it all. Great job

Nels
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: A Perfect Night - 10/03/14 05:41 PM
Floyd----Perfect!! Everything works. Great lyric, great arrangement, great song! The Janettes indeed are a Perfect compliment. Really nice twist on the title-classic country. Great job on everything!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Achordocaster Re: A Perfect Night - 10/03/14 08:08 PM
Floyd,

Your a machine man! I'm so impressed with how you consistently crank out quality material.

Great vocal & The Janettes sound wonderful! Good instrumentation and mix... If I had one nit it would be the solo guitar, it just seems a little dry to me. Maybe some more reverb or a little delay (200-300ms)would smooth it out some and make it sit in the mix a little better. Just my .02. grin

Great Job!

Greg
Posted By: Al-David Re: A Perfect Night - 10/03/14 08:46 PM
Hi Floyd ...

Well, I'm not sure what more I can dd that hasn't been said in the few comments before this one. But, FWIW, here are my thoughts ...

Perfect selection of b/g trax. It's Classic Country with a fresh feel. And, as always, your voice shines bright, like a beacon in a bad storm.

The vocal harmony is just enough without being too much ... great balance with that layering! The Janettes are superb!

The final mix and master are so well done. you have a great ear for that kind of stuff ... wish I was but half that good. Heck, if I were even half as good as you, I'd be twice as good as almost everyone else.

Loved the sound effect at the end ... good call!

Great listen ... thanks for the ear candy!

Alan & Di
Posted By: sixchannel Re: A Perfect Night - 10/03/14 10:01 PM
Wow!! A lovely piece of Irony.
A bit sad for us on our last night here on Anna Maria Island but heck we've had an awesome three weeks.
And this is another FJ masterpiece - and thanks too to Janice for the classy backing.
Loved the long rain and thunder FX outro - we've had a bit of that too.
Cheers
Ian
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: A Perfect Night - 10/04/14 05:42 AM
You have one great voice and such a talent for lyrics; I aspire to one day make my music production sound as good as yours does, another outstanding job! Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: gibson Re: A Perfect Night - 10/04/14 07:21 AM
floyd,

wonderful words, harmonies etc.
It was just a shame that Ian spoilt whistle the sound-effect ending!! laugh grin

+1 to the other comments
I too like "walking in rain and getting real wet, cos it's then I can hide my tears" from one of my songs posted a few eons ago!!

thoroughly enjoyed

Alyn
Posted By: RnAM Re: A Perfect Night - 10/04/14 11:32 AM
Floyd,

The slider on your website finally works, after I installed QuickTime, haha
I love the pedal steel, the vocals and Janice's backing vocals.
Quite a number of real tracks in this. A very, very nice composition!

Regards,
Rob
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: A Perfect Night - 10/04/14 11:43 AM
Floyd

Well, another great set of lyrics. Absolutely well done. Harmonies (thanks Janice & co.), lead guitar, and instrumental breaks, all topped off of with (as usual from you) superb vocals.

Nothing else to add except to say thanks for sharing this - really enjoyed it.

Trevor
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: A Perfect Night - 10/04/14 12:59 PM
Classic country at its finest. Great write, performance and production.

It's another bike weekend at Myrtle Beach so there will be a lot of bikers and they so love a good country song..... I'm thinking this one deserves a spin at the Walmart parking lot. ;=)

Charlie
Posted By: boehm Re: A Perfect Night - 10/04/14 04:08 PM
Hi Floyd,

everything has been said.
Perfect! Everything works like always. The Janettes are a great replacement for the Biabettes.
A great listen (although I'm not a country fan in general)!

Guenter
Posted By: dcuny Re: A Perfect Night - 10/04/14 05:59 PM
It's always a pleasure to listen to your songs. Flawless productions with nice touches all around.

One thing that I love about your lyrics as how efficient they are. In a very short space you lay out the scene with enough specific details to paint a picture, start the story, hook in the listener... and create a setup to contrast with the second verse. The last line in the chorus brings another layer of meaning, and brings the hook back.

My spilling-over-the-brim hat's off to you! smile
Posted By: ROG Re: A Perfect Night - 10/04/14 06:21 PM
Hi Floyd.

Back from a month in France without internet, just in time to pick up on this one.

Not much I can say at this point which hasn't been said by someone already. Basically it's a classic country track, from the lyric through to the chord sequence and the instrumentation. Almost everything is exactly where it should be and the performances are excellent.

So why "almost"? Hmm.. no one else has mentioned this so I'm probably out on a limb here, but I'm not sure about the amount of overdrive on the lead guitar. I'd have preferred something a bit sweeter - something more like a Tele through a twin reverb. I felt the effect you used was just leaning a little bit towards Aerosmith (Ouch). OK, so that wasn't fair, but hopefully you get my drift.

Hey, everything else was brilliant.

ROG.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Perfect Night - 10/04/14 08:52 PM
Nels - thanks for the spin.. appreciate it.

Greg - thanks for the kind words....

Greg (A) - appreciate all that. Adding reverb to those solo guitars sometimes works, sometimes doesn't... I give the delay a shot...

Allan & Di - glad you enjoy this... thanks for all of that...
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: A Perfect Night - 10/05/14 02:09 PM
Nice work on this. Lyrically, well done. Everything in place like it needs to be. Piano sounds nice. Just the right level of steel floating in the background.

Several folks have mentioned the electric lead. I have to agree with them, the lead doesn't fit into the song like it needs to. I don't think reverb is solely the answer, I think the tone needs to be looked at, and something done about it, as ROG was suggesting.

Many country songs use the overdriven distorted tone and it works well. So it's not the distortion that makes it not fit properly.... it's the tone... the EQ of that lead. It has a hollow sound to it. like someone tried to EQ it and screwed up the mids. I have found this same issue when I have used the RB leads. It may be due to the key change algorithms or the recording of the tracks to start with, but sometimes the tone just isn't right. If the quality of the mix was not as good as it is, the tone would be covered up by other things..... but that's not the case.... you have excellent quality on the other instruments and that lets the tone of the guitar show. This could be construed as a "personal opinion" but 2 others heard something there too. As a guitar player, this stands out to me.

I don't know how PG recorded the RT's but I have had very similar tonal disasters when I attempt to use some of the amp sims. I hate those things. I can never get them sounding quite like a real amp in a room. Maybe I'm too picky when it comes to guitar tone. Anyway.... So I record one of 2 ways. Either through a hardware based Line 6 POD 2, or through a tube amp (Mesa) with a mic on the speaker. Either of those give me a "real guitar" tone.

My plan of action would be: render several tracks and see if they are all the same.... tone wise. Perhaps select a different real track to use.... listen to the tone. It's amazing that choosing a different RT can be as different as day and night. If all else fails, choose a different instrument as the lead/fills or play a live guitar part in there.

I like how you use the lead on the fills. The application of the instrument is spot on.

Really well done song.... and the guitar tone is acceptable as is. Not many folks would register a complaint with it. I've listened to that song about 4 or 5 times...... I keep thinking back to an old Ronnie Milsap song.....
Posted By: MarioD Re: A Perfect Night - 10/05/14 02:34 PM
Floyd every time you post a song I say how in hell is he ever going too top this. Well every time you do!

Everything that I wanted to say has already been said. I will add that I was not put off by your guitar tone.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: A Perfect Night - 10/05/14 03:01 PM
Thanks to all you guys and gals for mentioning my small part with the Janettes. It was a pleasure!

Janice
Posted By: Steve Young Re: A Perfect Night - 10/05/14 08:25 PM
Floyd,

Do you ever write a bad song? Just wondering. smile

This, like all your other work, is just top shelf! Everything about it is spot on.

Glad I was able to give it a listen!

Steve
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Perfect Night - 10/06/14 04:40 PM
Ian - thanks for the spin! We have had our share of rain this year!

Robert - I do appreciate you saying those things. I think you are doing just fine in all those departments yourself!

Alyn - You can't trust that Ian, eh!?... So, apparently, great minds DO think alike... how about a link to that song from eons ago?....

Rob - Thanks. I do occasionally look for another slider that would not require QuickTime. Had a different one before, but it required Flash... just can't win...
Posted By: gibson Re: A Perfect Night - 10/07/14 06:56 AM
Floyd,

Here's a link Walking in rain done in the days before I started using Real Tracks.
Why I delayed so long I will never know blush

I've just played your song again to prepare myself for the walk to town as the raindrops are bouncing outside at the moment. I am going to get drenched grin

Alyn
Posted By: bock1965 Re: A Perfect Night - 10/07/14 11:59 AM
fantastic song !!.......I have owned band in a box / real band since 2011....I have so little musical knowledge that it's like having a toolbox full of wrenches but not knowing how to tighten a bolt or turn a screw....listening to your song has proven to me that indeed a professional song can be forged with this software ..again your song is fantastic !
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: A Perfect Night - 10/07/14 12:11 PM
Originally Posted By: bock1965
fantastic song !!.......I have owned band in a box / real band since 2011....I have so little musical knowledge that it's like having a toolbox full of wrenches but not knowing how to tighten a bolt or turn a screw....listening to your song has proven to me that indeed a professional song can be forged with this software ..again your song is fantastic !

Indeed.

With Band in a Box (BB) and Real Band (RB) the only limits I have found are your personal limitations and imagination. Floyd is one of several folks I quietly refer to as "Power Users" in this forum. Don't let him know, his head's already big enough.... ;-)

It is totally within the realm of possibility to get professional results that are hard to differentiate from a true Nashville session.

The best way I know to get to the "higher levels" with BB/RB is to use it and work with it. The more you do, the better you become.
Posted By: tommyad Re: A Perfect Night - 10/07/14 01:54 PM
floyd, Perfect is the only way to describe this. One of your best. All the previous comments sum up just how great this is. Not a single thing out of place. It just doesn't get any better than this. Tom
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Perfect Night - 10/07/14 06:42 PM
Trevor - always appreciate you stopping by for a listen...and appreciate all those nice comments...

Charlie - Thanks! Always wanted to play Myrtle Beach! Exclusively at Wal-Mart!!!... Just like Garth! smile

Guenter - Thanks so much. The Janettes are a step up from the BIABettes...

... and I need to again say a big THANK YOU to Janice for doing harmonies with me (and often, for me) in the production of these songs. I consider the Merritts as "part of my band" and I am lucky to have them along and lucky to call them my friends...

Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Perfect Night - 10/07/14 06:58 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
It's always a pleasure to listen to your songs. Flawless productions with nice touches all around.

One thing that I love about your lyrics as how efficient they are. In a very short space you lay out the scene with enough specific details to paint a picture, start the story, hook in the listener... and create a setup to contrast with the second verse. The last line in the chorus brings another layer of meaning, and brings the hook back.

My spilling-over-the-brim hat's off to you! smile

David - Thanks for that wonderful review... I quoted you here because you picked out some very important things in terms of songwriting... a fairly good summary of how I approach writing. It generally starts with a hook or that main idea which is the hook - even if it is not a "hook" in the conventional sense of the word. I develop those ideas in my head before starting to write (usually)... so I know how it will begin (to grab the listener's attention)...how that will feed into the chorus... how to structure a second verse to "put a new twist" on the main idea which again feeds to the chorus - hopefully with a fresh angle... If I intend to use the hook to both open and close the chorus, if at all possible, I want the second use of it (at the end) to have "new meaning" (compared to the first line). You can't always do that, but it's nice when you can...

In this song, it started with the concept of "breaking down" - the truck and the man - so you get a nice double meaning from that phrase. "a perfect night" came secondary to that and was nice icing..

I do a lot of planning before (and as) I write to have those things happens in a very natural way.

If I CAN'T find these type things for an idea that I might be considering, it's usually best to look for a different idea. Or...you end up writing songs with no meat. Repeating the same thought over and over...

I thought your comments were perceptive - and so took this opportunity to "bore ya with the details" a bit...

Thanks again...
Posted By: Icelander Re: A Perfect Night - 10/07/14 11:27 PM
I'll admit I don't really care for country, came upon this just from browsing the latest posts without knowing what kind of a song I'd get.
So my comment is on the technical side, the arrangement and the mix: To put it short, I have to say both these elements here are absolutely top notch. You would not know this was from a computer application unless somebody told you!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Perfect Night - 10/08/14 02:51 PM
Originally Posted By: ROG

So why "almost"? Hmm.. no one else has mentioned this so I'm probably out on a limb here, but I'm not sure about the amount of overdrive on the lead guitar. I'd have preferred something a bit sweeter - something more like a Tele through a twin reverb. I felt the effect you used was just leaning a little bit towards Aerosmith (Ouch). OK, so that wasn't fair, but hopefully you get my drift.

Hey, everything else was brilliant. ROG.

ROG - thanks, as always... I've quoted your comment about the lead here to talk a bit about that...

"...leaning a little bit towards Aerosmith (Ouch)."

That is, actually, intentional. Country pretty much sounds like Aerosmith these days. In fact, to my ear, and what I have become accustom to, this lead is fairly tame. The things I am listening to on a regular basis are Country - mostly Lee Brice and Eric Church.. a little Miranda Lambert - but sound more like classic rock than 1992 Country. 1992 Country is what you get if you constantly stick with the conventional sounds of "country" - which is what you get here in the forum - and that is understandable - I still do a lot of that, myself. No one else seems to embrace the current sounds of Country (and I get that, too)... but I like the SOUND even if I don't like the songs (there is still a LOT of good songs if you look deeper than the radio).

So, like I said, when I listen to this in line with what else I listen to, that lead doesn't stand out at all... I would assume that you are not a regular listener to "today's Country" (though I may be wrong) and the common reaction from people who don't listen to that will be "that lead should be 'more country'"...

RealTracks: 2203:Guitar, Electric, Soloist PopPromiseBrent Ev16 100 is pretty tame... after all, it is the premier Country picker - playing a "pop" solo geared towards "praise" music...

Allow me to give a few quick examples...

Lee Brice - A Picture Of Me - @ 2:08 or 3:20 -> out... and omg... a fade ending - heaven forbid!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSsu8YXlYTQ

Eric Chirch - Love Your Love The Most - @ 2:15
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7gbtQSFz4Q

Lee Brice - That's When You Know It's Over - @ 1:57
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN1jZaZbBhw

Top 25 Country July 2014 - I just happened to find this as I was poking around... and these are just a few of the spot I found quickly by jumping around...

17:10
20:59
29:16
31:57
38:55
41:55
53:24
55:50
1:06:12
1:09:36
1:12:42
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc3jUC17RaY
Posted By: ROG Re: A Perfect Night - 10/08/14 05:55 PM
Hi Floyd.

You're exactly right in saying that I don't listen to a lot of today's country and the tracks you pointed me towards were a revelation. Then again, I'm always ready to learn and I liked what I heard. Thanks for that.

Having said that, if I'd heard the track - Lee Brice, That's When You Know It's Over - on the radio and then gone to buy it in my local record store (before it closed) I don't think I'd have been heading for the Country section. It appeared to have more in common with Guns & Roses than it did with Charlie Pride.

And I think this is really the moot point. Looking at the instrumentation in the Lee Brice track, there's a power bass, root/5th chugging, power chords and synths. The overdriven lead fits perfectly, but anything else would have struggled to compete in what is essentially a rock track.

On the other hand, I would immediately identify your track as country. The feel is different, but more importantly the instrumentation is too. Piano and pedal steel well to the fore and acoustic guitars in the rhythm. Over this, I still feel the distorted lead is a little out of place.

So to sum up, I fully accept that country has moved on and that some of the tracks are using many techniques usually associated with heavy rock, but I'm not sure that you can take one feature of these tracks and drop it into a more traditional country song with complete success.

I can't remember disagreeing with you to this extent before and I trust you're not offended by my candid approach. Where Country is concerned, you're the master and I'm happy to learn.

ROG.
Posted By: dcuny Re: A Perfect Night - 10/09/14 12:09 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
I thought your comments were perceptive - and so took this opportunity to "bore ya with the details" a bit...

Thanks for the details! Given that this is essentially a songwriting forum, who wouldn't want to know how the experts put their music together? smile

Thanks!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Perfect Night - 10/09/14 01:55 PM
Hey ROG!

I thoroughly enjoy such discussions and am glad to hear differing opinions. I gave some thought to changing the lead, but think I'll leave it - for now, at least... Like I said, as I listen to it, it works - because I'm accustom to this "style"..

The Eric Church song that I listed has similar instruments and a similar lead sound - and I doubt you would mistake it for a Guns & Roses song smile Adding Brice's "That's When You Know It's Over" was probably not a good idea, since it is just straight-ahead pop-rock (typical Country, though). I just happen to really like the song and it popped up on the side while listening to his other song...

I have some songs in the works that have productions that are "not your grampa's Country"... We'll see if we can continue to "shake things up"...

Thanks for the follow up reply!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Perfect Night - 10/09/14 02:37 PM
Herb,

Thanks for the listen.

The leads (a fairly small part of the song), are taken from 5 generations of the RT (plus 3 that were not used). The original tempo of the RT is 100. The song is at 105. Listening to the raw RT files, the range is almost identical. And the tone is the same. The process involved did not change that at all. There is no added processing to those tracks - they are exactly as they come out of BIAB. I doubt seriously that Brent Mason went into the studio to record this stuff and used an amp sim - so the fact that you can't get those to work for you has no bearing here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc2sBG7WsC0

Though you consider Brent's choice a "tonal disaster", I happen to like it and I trust that he knows what he is doing. Otherwise, I would not have used it in the first place. But, of course, you can't please everyone and everyone has their own tastes.

Your thoughts on the subject are interesting to hear. And, again... thanks for the listen
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Perfect Night - 10/09/14 02:40 PM
Mario - Thanks for swinging by for a listen! Glad it all "set well" for ya!

Janice! - You know how much I appreciate you!

Steve - it is ALWAYS good to have you in the neighborhood...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Perfect Night - 10/09/14 02:46 PM
Originally Posted By: gibson
Floyd,

Here's a link Walking in rain done in the days before I started using Real Tracks.
Why I delayed so long I will never know blush

I've just played your song again to prepare myself for the walk to town as the raindrops are bouncing outside at the moment. I am going to get drenched grin

Alyn

Alyn - Thanks for coming back to provide that link! It is impossible to not head-bounce during that one! Excellent mix on that one! Loved the background vocals, too! Now I can't get it out of my head...
Posted By: dani48 Re: A Perfect Night - 10/09/14 03:11 PM
Hi, Floyd !:))

I think I´ve just heard
my new FJ favourite song !:))
I am speechless (as usual)
listening to such professional
performances as yours !:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: A Perfect Night - 10/09/14 04:28 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane

Though you consider Brent's choice a "tonal disaster", I happen to like it and I trust that he knows what he is doing. Otherwise, I would not have used it in the first place. But, of course, you can't please everyone and everyone has their own tastes.

Read it again my friend.....I referred to MY forays into amps sims as "tonal disasters", not Brent's playing or his tone. The man knows what he's doing no doubt. However, that aside, yes, I have had to back up and try something different a number of times using Brent's tracks and those of others. The key change algorithm sometimes affects the audio in strange ways that make it.... well lets just say, plan B might be the best route during those times. Sounds like very sloppy playing and the tone is less than convincing.

And yeah, it's a matter of taste.... what works tone wise in one song doesn't necessarily work in another song. I was just commenting on the tone, which to my ears, didn't quite fit the framework and feel of the song. Mainly due to the EQ.

And make no mistake.... this is a very very small nit. The majority of folks probably don't agree with me on this at all and I'm fine with that....
Posted By: Sundance Re: A Perfect Night - 10/10/14 02:40 AM
Good write Floyd. I like the arrangement and the instruments you put together. What's on the radio now was written and produced one or more years ago. Nothing wrong with bending the existing curve to make a little more cutting edge style. Even what's considered ahead of the curve can easily end up being the curve soon enough - am I making sense... LOL! I hope you get what I'm saying. It's a compliment.

Josie
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Perfect Night - 10/10/14 11:59 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Read it again my friend.....I referred to MY forays into amps sims as "tonal disasters", ...

Hi Herb... I read it again and it still says the same thing...

"I don't know how PG recorded the RT's but I have had very similar tonal disasters..."

Which means that you were talking about not just your amp sim foray, but also the thing you are comparing it to being "very similar" - the RT in question. I was not trying to "put words in your mouth" by any stretch...

But let's not beat a dead horse. You don't like that guitar. Got it. No problem... like I said, it is interesting to hear what your thoughts are....
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Perfect Night - 10/11/14 12:30 AM
Originally Posted By: bock1965

bock1965 - Thanks. And Welcome! I feel that that is what we are here for... to show what can be done using this amazing software (and to get a few people to listen to our songs, of course).

Band In A Box IS capable of producing top-level, professional sounding recording of your songs. It takes some practice, but not a lot... Start slow... figure out drums and bass, then add a simple acoustic guitar... put a vocal on top of that and then add some flavoring. BIAB provides it all. And as the people in this forum have shown, the possibilities are virtually endless... any style...

I have demos done in the best studios in Nashville. They are as good as it gets - radio-ready sound. I believe that what you hear on this forum by the "Power Users" - as Herb as dubbed them (and there are several) approaches that kind of sound...

Jump in! We are here to help each other...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Perfect Night - 10/11/14 12:40 AM
Tom - Thanks for all that. You know I appreciate it... and so very good to have you back...

Icelander Eddie - thanks for dropping in for a listen.

ROG and David and Herb - thanks for making this such a fun thread...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Perfect Night - 10/11/14 10:54 PM
Dani - You make me laugh! I hope you are well....

Josie - Thanks smile It made sense to me... I "get" the curve - you know that...
Posted By: Noel96 Re: A Perfect Night - 11/01/14 01:24 AM
Hi floyd,

If I were Pat Marr, I'd say …

Quote:
Dang, Floyd! Just DANG!

With everything you write, it seems that you use 24 carat gold to gild each and every aspect of your work. When I read through the comments of your songs, it seems that we all agree. You're a one-man, top-notch songwriting and music production team!

When I listened to “Perfect Night” many moons ago, I was very impressed with how you managed to convey sarcasm and irony through the lyrics. That's talent. I know that if I tried to use sarcasm, I'd end up falling in a heap – just like I do whenever I try to use it in the real world!

Back at that first listen, I also noticed that you used a lyric-writing principle that Steve Seskin once made me aware of. In a nutshell, what I'll call 'Steve's Principle' is that the lyrics of a verse or bridge work well when they target one aspect of the chorus.

For example, in your chorus for “Perfect Night”, there are a number of possible targets that could be used. These are ...

• way that i feel
  • heartache
  • heartache that will never heal
  • rain fall on my face
  • tears i've cried
  • if a man's gonna break down
  • ain't this a perfect night

When I look at the verses to “Perfect Night” from the perspective of Steve's Principle, I see that verse 1 targets the last four lines of the chorus. By the end of the first chorus, it's very clear to the listener that the song's character is stuck with a broken down car on the side of the road in foul weather. Because of the first four lines of the chorus, though, the lyric line, “If ever a man's gonna break down”, becomes a double entendre and refers mostly to the guys physical situation but also hints at his emotional situation. Now THAT'S mighty fine lyric crafting.

Still using Steve's Principle, verse 2 targets the “Carrying around a heartache” aspect of the chorus. Because of this, and because of the setting up done by verse 1, the bells of metaphor chime loud and clear throughout this second song system that consists of verse 2 plus the chorus. The concept of “break down” moves from the physical and plunges headlong into the emotional.

Pondering the above, it makes me wonder what aspect of the chorus you'd target if you wrote a bridge!

What a terrific musical and lyrical journey you've put together with “Perfect Night”.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: A Perfect Night - 11/01/14 02:47 AM
Hi Floyd!

If I were Noel96 I'd say...

things that are a lot more interesting and musically wise than what I actually say. wink
But hey.. I agree with him even if I don't fully understand the theory behind all of it!
(Noel, how I ENVY your knowledge!)

Floyd, I just love your songs and your style of writing them... but what I like every bit as much as the songs themselves are the tidbits of insight you sprinkle in with your replies to the forum. You are a one-man music lesson.. and you are kind too! Most times when somebody totally dominates a forum, that person ends up acting like an @$$... but from the beginning you have never been that person. You have consistently encouraged others and played a big part in making this song writing forum one of the few on the web that is just as safe for newbies as for experienced song writers.

My respect for your song writing is huge... but my respect for the way you wield your influence in the forum is even more.
Posted By: JPeden73 Re: A Perfect Night - 11/02/14 01:40 AM
Hey Floyd

Just wanted to echo what Pat said. This forum is a great resource for aspiring songwriters, and your insights are greatly appreciated. Thanks again for taking the time to share.

Btw - great tune!
Posted By: cubanpete Re: A Perfect Night - 11/02/14 02:01 AM
Hi Floyd, its all said, except that I envy you guys whom are able and have the talent to write and sing like this.

Mike B.
Posted By: jgottlied Re: A Perfect Night - 11/02/14 04:44 PM
Ain't this a perfect song??!! I don't know what else to say except I wished it were longer. I wasn't ready for the song to be over. I was enjoying it so much. It reminded me of a cross between my father's country music and my sister's Eagle's records. It was not too much of one, just enough of the other, and totally awesome!!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Perfect Night - 11/02/14 10:14 PM
My goodness! The forum seems to have exploded all of a sudden.
It is great to see so much activity! The last couple of months were a bit slow...

Noel - I was not expecting this one to return, but I always love to read your assessments of a song. And it is gratifying that you always manage to catch the salient points in the writing process that make a song what it is. They are there for a reason - and you understand that - and I appreciate that you do. The aspects of the "set-up" for this song that you point out are often missed - yet are important in creating a song that "works" from beginning to end. The verses pointing to some aspect of the chorus is important. And, changing up that focus in the next chorus or bridge is equally important. So that the song works on more than one level. A one-dimensional song pales in comparison to a song that shifts the focus yet maintains the payoff of the hook or title with each change. The one-dimensional song simply repeats in the 2nd verse what it said in the 1st. A song that "grows" as it goes is obviously a "richer experience" for the listener....

Thanks you for sharing your thoughts on this one.....

And PAT!!!
Man! What a VERY nice thing to say. I am humbled. And, grateful, of course. This forum is a unique, wonderful place with unique, wonderful people. And an AMAZING amount of talent considering how small it is. The quality of writing here surpasses many sites that are geared towards writing. The quality of production is mind-boggling. I do have to say... Noel is the one who taught me (by example) how to conduct yourself on a forum - that everyone has a valid point of view - that everyone has something to offer - that everyone should be given a chance to "show their stuff". To learn, to grow, to shine. No one "knows it all" (regardless of what they may think... smile ). Thank you for the nice words. Your posts are every bit as enjoyable as the best of them... Your perspective on songs and their production are as delightful as our friend Noel's...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Perfect Night - 11/02/14 10:23 PM
JP (Jeff?) and John -

It's great to have you guys here. I think you both have a lot to offer based on what you have presented so far. There is simply no place like this. The music just keeps getting better and better all the time. And thanks for the kind words...

Y'all pull up a chair and "set a spell" (and..uh..grab a guitar...)

Mike - it is always nice to have you drop by... I know this (country stuff) is not your cup of tea... I do appreciate it...
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: A Perfect Night - 11/06/14 07:57 PM
Floyd,
Sounds great. Excellent lyric and melody, beautifully performed, the mix is superb.

SD
Posted By: olemon Re: A Perfect Night - 11/09/14 02:12 PM
Floyd,

I listened to this a while back. I've dropped by from time to time...lots of new music. Good song, RT selection, and production, big, wide sound. Sweet vocals.
Posted By: horsthartung Re: A Perfect Night - 11/10/14 04:34 AM
Hi Floyd,

Another great song....I've read the other comments...so my only suggestion is to bring up your lead vocal....to me it doesn't stand out in front enough....

Like the thunder and rain in the end....

Horst
© PG Music Forums