PG Music Home
Posted By: Greg Johnson New song: Destination:paradise - 10/06/14 03:21 AM
Hello PG music friends. My songs are not homeless anymore. I have transferred my current projects to my new system (macbook with PT-11). I tried to burn an audio CD and had a CPU issue, so this is a post from my work (sleeping on the couch between homes) CD. On my new system, the mixes are much clearer but my songs are now locked inside their new home with no current means of escape for public scrutiny. At any rate, this song represents my best Michael Franks feel. He was one of my main heroes for many years. If my last post (Heartbreak Blues) was Dr. Jeckyl (sp?) on steroids, this is Mr. Hyde on Valium. The main mix changes I have in mind are some cutting of the high frequencies, and possibly some mellow strings in parts. I will post the tracks used soon. Comments welcome (even encouraged!). Take care all. Greg

https://soundcloud.com/gjohnson-2/paradise

Destination:paradise

Giving in, I close my eyes
Imagine you beneath the skies
Of endless summer sun

I can feel you next to me
We lie beside the turquoise sea
The ocean plays its symphony
My dream has just begun

I taste your kiss, your touch I feel
The distance great but love so real
Our spirits connect until
I find my way back home

Destination: fantasy
We lie beneath the banyan tree
Nothin’ ‘round, just you and me
The world just slips away

Melting underneath your touch
Didn’t know that I could feel so much
Emotion, but your love is such
It carries me away

Wrapped in love, I feel so small
A butterfly in a waterfall
I’ll spread my wings and take it all
And never even try to fly away

Destination: rendezvous
Soon I will be home with you
A celebration, just us two
Beneath the summer sun

I could drown within your eyes
Stay submerged and never rise
Two spirits become one
Posted By: Sundance Re: New song: Destination:paradise - 10/06/14 05:06 AM
Greg,

Love those lyrics and the melody.

My goodness, talk about romantic imagery. Doesn't get any better than "Wrapped in love, I feel so small A butterfly in a waterfall I’ll spread my wings and take it all And never even try to fly away"

Looking forward to your final arrangement since you said you're not finished with it yet. Also congrats on the new Mac DAW home!

Love the song. A+

Josie
Posted By: Al-David Re: New song: Destination:paradise - 10/06/14 05:16 AM
HI Greg ... This such a pretty song! We hung on to every word as it played. nice lyric to compliment the music. It really wis a very pretty song ... nicely done!

I (Alan) fully agree with cutting some of the high EQ. I would probably leave the flute (nice touch, BTW!) as is as the tone is mellow but crystal clear. Your vocal is where we most noted the strength high EQ's. It caught you inhaling a couple of times and really popped the "S" and "P" sounds. So, I think you're on the right track there.

Also, as you approach the end, there is nothing but silence between 4:30 and 5:22, then about 45 seconds more music. Not sure if that was intended, an oversight or something you're aware of but can;t fix at the moment. Just thought I would mention it.

We enjoyed the song very much. Kudos an a great song! best to ya ...

Alan & Di
Posted By: RnAM Re: New song: Destination:paradise - 10/06/14 12:55 PM
Hi Greg,

We think this is one of your best songs. Although we are not really jazz lovers, we do like this one. It's got a nice atmosphere to it and we really like your vocals here (they sound pretty enhanced, heavily compressed?).
We agree with Al, that the end of the song should be at about 4.30?
Anyway, very nice work.

Regards,
Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: New song: Destination:paradise - 10/06/14 01:13 PM
Very smooth and mellow. Your vocal is a very comfortable fit for this genre. All the nits I would have mentioned have been mentioned in others postings and you've stated this is not final.

Good job and enjoyable listen. Keep em coming.

Charlie
Posted By: boehm Re: New song: Destination:paradise - 10/06/14 04:19 PM
Hi Greg,

beautiful lyrics and chords. I'm curious how it's going to develop.
Nice flute. Enjoyable listen.

Guenter
Posted By: floyd jane Re: New song: Destination:paradise - 10/06/14 04:20 PM
Greg,

A beautiful, beautiful song. Both lyric and melody.

Quite Michael Frank-ish. And a little Steven Bishop? Maybe a touch of Robbie Dupree mixed in? smile a great sound - wherever it comes from... you do it as well as any of them...

Listened a number of times. Such a pleasure to listen to. I don't think you need to do anything other than to "tame" the vocal a bit. It has great presence, but is just "too hot". Besides pulling out some hi-EQ, some volume slopes on the breaths - not to completely eliminate them (that would likely be "obvious"), but sort of a volume fade in so you catch a bit of the breath before the next word. (Do you use a pop screen?)

Oh... and... nice instrumentation and mix, too. There's just so much to like about this... I would buy the album.

floyd
Posted By: gibson Re: New song: Destination:paradise - 10/07/14 06:04 AM
Greg,

All's been said.
What a beautiful song.

Mr Hyde is certainly chilled in this song!!

Alyn
Posted By: tommyad Re: New song: Destination:paradise - 10/07/14 02:01 PM
Wow, How beautiful is this! Well written and expertly delivered. I am a huge fan of your vocals. There is a fine line between capturing the intimacy of a vocal and reducing some of the breaths and even a swallow in the beginning. I have used Nectar breath control on a few of Janice's quieter passages. It does a fine job of removing some of the extraneous noise while still retaining the quiet character of the vocal. A fine song from a great singer/writer. Tom
Posted By: Icelander Re: New song: Destination:paradise - 10/07/14 11:47 PM
Zzzzmoooothh... cool
Posted By: floyd jane Re: New song: Destination:paradise - 10/08/14 12:05 PM
This should not be on Page 2 already.
Needs to be heard!
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New song: Destination:paradise - 10/11/14 08:05 PM
Josie, thanks so much for the support and kind words. You always make my day better with your comments!

Rob and Anne Marie, thanks so much. Really appreciate your feedback. You guys are a well of energy and creativity. Keep it up!

Charlie, thanks for your generous comments. They mean a lot to me. Really loved your most recent post!

Take care all, Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New song: Destination:paradise - 10/11/14 08:11 PM
Guenter, thanks for you support and kind words. Always appreciated!!

Floyd, thanks for the generous comments. Always appreciate your wealth of knowledge and positive input. And, thanks for trying to give me another ride through the cycle. No bites. It doesn't seem that people don't like the song per se but just aren't interested in listening for some reason (few plays on Soundcloud). But definitely appreciate your effort and support.

Alyn, thanks for your encouraging words. Always enjoy what you do, and put a lot of value in your opinion!

Take care all. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New song: Destination:paradise - 10/11/14 08:15 PM
Icelander, thanks for your kind words. You have been a very positive new presence on the forum.

Tom, as always, your comments are beyond kind. I always love to hear from you and listen to your songs as you post them. I was about to shoot you a message as I noticed your absence. Welcome back, and I loved your new rocker! If you get a chance, listen to my remake of Heartbreak Blues (quite a different mix) and let me know if it too over the top. You can just send a backdoor message-don't want to be shamelessly self-promoting. Take care. Greg
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New song: Destination:paradise - 10/12/14 06:14 AM
Hi Greg,

This is beautiful. I love the feel and the flow of the music and the lyrics. Added to these, the melody and harmony are outstanding.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: New song: Destination:paradise - 10/12/14 12:53 PM
Cool island feel....

Is that you in the beginning on guitar or a RT?

I like this.
Posted By: Steve Young Re: New song: Destination:paradise - 10/12/14 04:33 PM
Greg,

This is really nice! Your voice really fits the bill on this one (Floyd has a good tip there). I think this is my favorite that I have heard from you. Thanks for sharing it!

Steve
Posted By: dcuny Re: New song: Destination:paradise - 10/12/14 04:55 PM
Nice song!

The introduction had me wondering - it seemed a tad slow, and a bit noisy. The guitar seemed a bit lonely by itself, and there's some rustling sound at 0:24-0:26. wink

But once the vocals and other instruments came in, it clicked together.

As others have said, it's a nice song - well sung an very evocative!

I hope PG Music gets some more flute tracks - it's amazing how much you an tweak the tempo of some of these instruments, and you selected some tasty bits. But I think it's been sadly overlooked in the RealTracks.

I found the "hidden" bonus track at 6:33! laugh

Thanks for posting!
Posted By: Icelander Re: New song: Destination:paradise - 10/12/14 07:00 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Icelander, thanks for your kind words. You have been a very positive new presence on the forum.
I have?? After messing up a bit with my last 'showcase' contribution, I honestly was starting to doubt if I fit in here or should be looking elsewhere for a 'home' smirk So thanks right back for that very well timed compliment.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: New song: Destination:paradise - 10/13/14 12:57 PM
Greg

I started listening to the song before I commenced reading your comments. My immediate thoughts were: "Wow, is this Michael Franks II"? Then as I listened I read your words.

Absolutely sensational. If that's what you thought you might achieve, then I can tell you, you nailed it - in one.

This even exceeds your usual high-standards. Your best yet. Congratulations, (and more please).

When's the album going to be released?

Best
Trev

PS: Yes, there might be a small issue with the mix, there is a tag at the end after a long pause - I'm sure it's accidental

Attached picture 2014-10-13_23-57-26.jpg
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: New song: Destination:paradise - 10/14/14 02:52 PM
Man, that is a wonderful production.
I love the "desination:" idea. Great
groove that is perfect for the lyric.
And a fine vocal.

Everything works for me. Kudos!
Posted By: aleck rand Re: New song: Destination:paradise - 10/14/14 11:16 PM
Hi Greg,

I tried to listen, but SC says "Oh No! - file missing."

Dean
Posted By: dani48 Re: New song: Destination:paradise - 10/16/14 06:00 PM
Hi, Greg !

I love this tune, and IMO
it sounds a little Beach Boyish ?:) (Lol) !
Just great, Greg !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New song: Destination:paradise - 10/22/14 08:17 PM
Noel, thanks for the kind words. Much appreciated!!

Herb, unfortunately I can't play guitar that well-there is a RT just meant for using solo but I combined it with some samba combo. It was the solo guitar that inspired the song and got me going on the idea. Thanks for your support.

Steve, thanks so much for the kind words. I really enjoy hearing your stuff!

Take care all. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New song: Destination:paradise - 10/22/14 08:21 PM
David, thanks for the nice comments. I did start the song kind of slowly but I dug the feel of that solo guitar. Always enjoy your stuff. Some great lyrics, and pretty music. Love to hear more conventional vocals as the songs are very cool!

Trev, thanks for the support. Yeah, I think the band took a break and went to the bar for drinks in the middle of the song. I think it was outside of the visual window when I burned to disc. Thanks again for the listen!
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New song: Destination:paradise - 10/22/14 08:25 PM
J and B, Thanks for listening and for the nice words. Always love to hear from you guys, and appreciated your detailed listens.

Dean, I think the link is working. Would love it if you tried again. Always enjoy your unique influence in the forum as the jazz master!!

Dani, so glad to hear from you. Thanks for the kind assessment of my song, and keep posting-always love to hear what you're doing!!

Take care all. Greg
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: New song: Destination:paradise - 10/23/14 01:18 AM
Greg,
Sorry I'm late to comment. This really is a beautiful tune. You have a wonderful voice. Thanks for sharing.
SD
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New song: Destination:paradise - 10/27/14 08:53 PM
Thanks SD! Really flattered that you liked it. I'm enjoying your posts a lot as well! Take care. Greg
Posted By: cubanpete Re: New song: Destination:paradise - 10/28/14 03:07 AM
Hi Greg, first time I hear one of your songs, and I just love your sound. Gosh I forgot about Michael Franks all together, I used to listen to him all the time, being "Eggplant" one of my favorites. Very well produced and nice vocals.

Mike B.
Posted By: MarioD Re: New song: Destination:paradise - 10/29/14 06:36 PM
I'm late to the party but again I am glad that I came. I agree with everything that has been said, but I will add one thing. I love jazz lounge music and you did that genre justice. I would buy a CD of this genre if you every produce one.
© PG Music Forums