PG Music Home
Posted By: Icelander Prelude in Em, jazzy arrangement. - 10/14/14 04:41 AM
Here I am back again with one so fresh out of the cooker I haven't even listened to it on SC myself! laugh
Spent the last two days on this short piece, hard to believe. Anyway, even if you hate jazz and love classic, I'm confident you'll like this acoustic jazzy take on Master Chopin cool

Prelude in E minor

And for the formalities, from song memo:

RealTracks in style: ~1204:Bass, Acoustic, GypsyJazzBallad Sw 110
RealTracks in song: 1207:Fiddle, Soloist GypsyJazzBallad Sw 110
RealTracks in song: ~951:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm CountryBoogieMuted Sw 110
RealTracks in style: ~1210:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm GypsyJazzBalladJohn Sw 110
RealDrums: RealDrums in Style: GypsyJazzSw: a: GypsyJazzSwb: GypsyJazzSw
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Prelude in Em, jazzy arrangement. - 10/14/14 04:45 AM
Nice arrangement and great choice of instruments. This is a fun listen.

Charlie
Posted By: dcuny Re: Prelude in Em, jazzy arrangement. - 10/14/14 06:50 AM
It's certainly a much more upbeat version than the original! laugh

Well done!
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Prelude in Em, jazzy arrangement. - 10/14/14 11:37 AM
This worked out good.... I always recommend that you listen to the mix after you convert it to MP3, and again after you upload it before you post the link.

In this case nothing went wrong but.... trust me when I say it can and sometimes does. I've had conversion issues, clicks, pops, and other abnormalities appear in a mix upon the upload.

Nice work.
Posted By: Icelander Re: Prelude in Em, jazzy arrangement. - 10/14/14 03:20 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
This worked out good.... I always recommend that you listen to the mix after you convert it to MP3, and again after you upload it before you post the link.

A good reminder, thanks! In my eagerness to get it up & out for "ya'll", I took the short cut on this one and uploaded straight from BBox, hence not hearing the compressed m4a until after it was all over and done with.
But you are of course quite right, things can and do sometimes go wrong in the rendition, have for me as well (piano is too bright in my previous Vem Kan Segla, for instance).
I guess I just was fortunate this time - but point duly noted.
Posted By: boehm Re: Prelude in Em, jazzy arrangement. - 10/14/14 03:28 PM
Hi Icelander,

cool version. I like your choice of RTs and the breaks.
Enjoyable listen.

Guenter
Posted By: Icelander Re: Prelude in Em, jazzy arrangement. - 10/14/14 04:05 PM
As I consider myself quite the entertainer at heart, I'm very much appreciating the words "fun" & "enjoy" in your feedbacks here already. Thank you kindly! smile
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Prelude in Em, jazzy arrangement. - 10/14/14 05:19 PM
Nice. I used to play with a friend who played wonderful gypsy jazz fiddle. It definitely kept me on my toes playing my acoustic bass with him. And I've always been a major fan of both Stephane Grappelli and Django Reinhardt so the groove definitely worked for me. Enjoyed it.
Posted By: Icelander Re: Prelude in Em, jazzy arrangement. - 10/15/14 06:36 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
It's certainly a much more upbeat version than the original! laugh

Now, this is an interesting observation. See, while I quite agree with your statement, I can't quite put a my finger on just why this is the case.
What I mean is, in terms of definable, concrete elements of the construction, I haven't really changed all that much when compared to the original piece: The key is the same, tempo is (almost) the same, as are the bulk of the chord progressions, including positions and sliced (of which there turned out to be a lot, let me tell ya). Even the basic 'on the beat' pattern is already present in the original.
So... if we're to get a bit analytical here, just for 'fun', how do we explain this one? Where or in what does that 'upbeat' effect lie? wink
Posted By: BruceI Re: Prelude in Em, jazzy arrangement. - 10/15/14 09:36 PM
Now that is quite a little gem! A swinging, jazzy music box with an elegant, classic melody inside. Short and sweet and... listening again. Yup, that's nice alright. And cool.

Thanks for sharing,
Bruce
Posted By: Icelander Re: Prelude in Em, jazzy arrangement. - 10/15/14 09:43 PM
Thank you likewise for commenting smile
Posted By: dcuny Re: Prelude in Em, jazzy arrangement. - 10/15/14 11:55 PM
Originally Posted By: Icelander
So... if we're to get a bit analytical here, just for 'fun', how do we explain this one? Where or in what does that 'upbeat' effect lie? wink

In original, the music is much more halting and tentative. Chopin has a single instrument, with an intimate feel. The music halts and falters, moving to a whisper and back, ending with a series of ponderous chords. It changes.

In your version, the intimate piano is replaced with an upbeat dance band. It is faster, and plays with a confident, steady beat - all hesitation gone. Where Chopin ritards, you proceed without hesitation. Where Chopin whispers, you keep the same volume. It feels like a ship out for a jaunty ride on the lake, happily bobbing along.

Does that start to answer the question? laugh
Posted By: cubanpete Re: Prelude in Em, jazzy arrangement. - 10/15/14 11:58 PM
Hey Ice, I loved this one! very sweet arrangement. I dabbed myself in classic arrangement into jazz years ago and is fun. I might re-arrange some of them using the new rt's available now.
Take care

Mike B.
Posted By: Icelander Re: Prelude in Em, jazzy arrangement. - 10/16/14 12:03 AM

In original, the music is much more halting and tentative. Chopin has a single instrument, with an intimate feel. The music halts and falters, moving to a whisper and back, ending with a series of ponderous chords. It changes.

In your version, the intimate piano is replaced with an upbeat dance band. It is faster, and plays with a confident, steady beat - all hesitation gone. Where Chopin ritards, you proceed without hesitation. Where Chopin whispers, you keep the same volume. It feels like a ship out for a jaunty ride on the lake, happily bobbing along.

Does that start to answer the question? laugh

If "start" be the key word here, then yes I'd certainly say it does, and quite nicely at that. I particularly liked your visual "bobbing ship" analogy, such a poetic touch cool
A quick one back re the 'ponderous chords' bit. I tried my best to pick them up and follow, did you feel mine were noticeable different in some big ways?
Posted By: Icelander Re: Prelude in Em, jazzy arrangement. - 10/16/14 12:32 AM
Originally Posted By: cubanpete
Hey Ice, I loved this one! very sweet arrangement. I dabbed myself in classic arrangement into jazz years ago and is fun. I might re-arrange some of them using the new rt's available now.
Take care

Mike B.

Go for it! Oh, and then share, of course, I for one am most interested in how others do this sort of thing cool
Posted By: dcuny Re: Prelude in Em, jazzy arrangement. - 10/16/14 02:20 AM
A quick one back re the 'ponderous chords' bit. I tried my best to pick them up and follow, did you feel mine were noticeable different in some big ways?

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I was referring to the chords Chopin uses in the final cadence.
Posted By: Icelander Re: Prelude in Em, jazzy arrangement. - 10/16/14 02:33 AM
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I was referring to the chords Chopin uses in the final cadence.
Ah right, no problem. I likewise should have kept it less vain there, I'm sure wink
Back to being clinical then, if I can: Melody! It occurred to me that's surely a factor here, probably the biggest, even? I mean, going from the floating, somber style of the original to the laid back 'bouncy' style in my rendition has to add to that whole 'upbeat'.. or maybe I'm just stating the obvious here, what say you? smile
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Prelude in Em, jazzy arrangement. - 10/16/14 04:59 AM
Very cool rendition of this piece!! I don't know that much classical music but I recognized the melody, and it worked great in its different skin. Very cool stuff!! And, BTW, you should definitely stick around on this forum which is friendly, fun, fantastic, and fiendishly creative (and that's just the Fs). Love hearing what you're doing. Take care. Greg
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Prelude in Em, jazzy arrangement. - 10/16/14 12:43 PM
Interesting take on the classics, Eddie. Sounds good.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Prelude in Em, jazzy arrangement. - 10/16/14 03:38 PM
[I mean, going from the floating, somber style of the original to the laid back 'bouncy' style in my rendition has to add to that whole 'upbeat'.. or maybe I'm just stating the obvious here, what say you? smile

Not necessarily.

Many "sad" songs in minor keys are perceived as more upbeat as their tempo increases - one of the things you did.

And by making the tempo regular instead of much more rubato, you changed the interpretation of phrases as distinct "gestures", putting the focus on staying on beat and a steady tempo, instead of looking at each bit as an expressive and independent gesture.

In perceiving music, there's a tendency to map the tempo and rate to physical motion. Thus the interpretation of "halting" or "hesitating". Having a steady tempo removes that from the music.

It's a bit like auto-tuning. The notes remain the same, but amount of pitch variation within the note is altered.

Similarly, the position of the events in you song remain the same, but rate of change - which contains a lot of emotive power - is removed. You haven't quantized the placement or tempo - you've made the rate of change a constant.
Posted By: tommyad Re: Prelude in Em, jazzy arrangement. - 10/16/14 04:02 PM
Well put together. I too am not versed in classical music, but I also recognize the melody. interesting concept. Nice job. Tom
Posted By: Icelander Re: Prelude in Em, jazzy arrangement. - 10/16/14 07:53 PM
It's a bit like auto-tuning.

Ouch! The expression 'careful what you wish for' is coming to mind here grin
But I jest, and to pick out just that one line of your very thorough analysis is of course spectacularly unfair smile
The thing that got me started on this topic in the first place was that none of those things were done with any sort of conscious intention to change its overall mood or feel. If anything, I tried to retain the mood with some 'blue' touches to most of the triad chords, but I guess that only took things so far. Maybe that's the next place to go in discussions like this, i.e. how to intentionally do these things, in either direction wink
And then, if you look again at my other two (re)arrangements, I think it's safe to say that both of those retained the mood of the original. One was in minor key, the other in major, so obviously that in on itself wasn't the deciding factor (I think), So I had to wonder where those nuances lay.
Anyway, thank you for that valuable insight into the concept of 'what makes the mood of a piece', to which I myself could sadly only contribute so much. But it's been a delight - Cheers! cool
Posted By: RnAM Re: Prelude in Em, jazzy arrangement. - 10/16/14 10:59 PM
Hi Icelander,

That's a nice arrangement. I also use classical themes now and then for writing songs.
Do you know this one has also been arranged and turned into a song by Sinatra and Jobim, it's called "How insensitive" (or: When a love affair is over)
This is the song:
How insensitive
Astrud Gilberto also sings it.
Your song sounds a bit... how shall I say it...less sad, happy maybe.
I'm one of those who don't like jazz, but do like classical music (amongst others), but this one is OK wink

Regards,
Anne-Marie
Posted By: Icelander Re: Prelude in Em, jazzy arrangement. - 10/16/14 11:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
...And, BTW, you should definitely stick around on this forum...

Ah, I see you spotted my reply to one of your own showcase earlier, the one I made while deep in the midst of my "not so special now, are you, princess!" complex grin
Thanks for the sentiment but don't you worry. I think I've found my own 'niche' around here by now, as it were, so I'm not going anywhere - in fact, I can safely say: I'm only just getting started! cool
Posted By: Icelander Re: Prelude in Em, jazzy arrangement. - 10/16/14 11:16 PM
Originally Posted By: R & AM
Hi Icelander,

That's a nice arrangement. I also use classical themes now and then for writing songs ===
Your song sounds a bit... how shall I say it...less sad, happy maybe.
I'm one of those who don't like jazz, but do like classical music (amongst others), but this one is OK wink

Regards,
Anne-Marie

Well, that's a relief! laugh
I myself quite like classical music, and my rendition of this one was perhaps not in the most 'purest' of jazz per se, which is one reason I was feeling confident about its 'general' appeal. My aim is always to please, not to put people off, heh.
Glad you liked it enough to add to those positive comments, thanks for the gesture cool
Posted By: dcuny Re: Prelude in Em, jazzy arrangement. - 10/17/14 06:23 AM
Anyway, thank you for that valuable insight into the concept of 'what makes the mood of a piece', to which I myself could sadly only contribute so much. But it's been a delight - Cheers! cool

My comments were just food for thought, that's all.

To be clear - it wasn't a complaint about the music! smile
Posted By: Icelander Re: Prelude in Em, jazzy arrangement. - 10/17/14 01:38 PM
My comments were just food for thought, that's all.

And scrumptious nuggets they were indeed! cool

To be clear - it wasn't a complaint about the music! smile

But of course, goes without saying. And likewise 'to be clear', I only cut the subject off short to prevent the absolute killing of the frog wink

Edit: Visited that song's link again myself just now, to my amazement it's got over a 100 views already shocked
That may not seem that much to most of you who live in the 'big world' out there, but it's the most views I've had of anything I've submitted to the online world, ever!
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Prelude in Em, jazzy arrangement. - 10/18/14 01:56 AM
Ice,
I really enjoyed this piece. Coincidently, I'm learning to play this prelude right now. I'm a big classical fan and this is one of my favorite Chopin pieces.
I believe the classical composers would appreciate the creativity your work shows and find it to be a tribute. Some of them were real Rock Stars of the their era just as progressive as technology would allow. On the other hand... you never know.
Any way thanks for sharing.
SD
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Prelude in Em, jazzy arrangement. - 10/18/14 02:30 PM
hi Icelander really enjoyed this sounded great thanks eric
Posted By: Icelander Re: Prelude in Em, jazzy arrangement. - 10/18/14 02:34 PM
Originally Posted By: SpaceDog

I believe the classical composers would appreciate the creativity your work shows and find it to be a tribute. Some of them were real Rock Stars of the their era just as progressive as technology would allow.

I could not have put it better myself (and thanks to you I don't have to)! A tribute was precisely what I had in mind here - And I'm pretty sure the modern Mozart would be 'digging' the smooth jazz groove wink
© PG Music Forums