Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: New song - After the storm - 10/16/14 10:00 PM
Hallo

Compliments for the way you play

I like this music style

Very clean playing
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: New song - After the storm - 10/17/14 01:31 PM
Nice work on the tune... good playing.

I like the chord progressions used.

On the production.... just my thoughts...

The mix seems to be "full" and "heavy" sounding. Mostly, as I hear it, from perhaps overuse of compression on one hand and a muddled EQ setting(s) on the other.

It sounds really heavy in the low mids. Try cutting the lows and the mids a bit to thin it out and make it sound cleaner. This might be solved with a master bus EQ or perhaps by working the EQ in the tracks that are in that frequency band. Remember that things tend to be additive in mixing. If the bass is full, you will need to cut everything else in it's freq range or you end up with other things stepping on it's toes and muddling up the mix.

I listen on cheap computer speakers and the bass is booming on these little cones.

Try cutting the lows below 80hz to 100hz on the guitar, as it sounds good, but is a bit muddy and indistinct in the mix. A solo guitar should stand out clearly in the mix since it's the featured instrument. But don't use volume alone to get it there.

Yup... you have a little bit of work to do IMHO....
Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: New song - After the storm - 10/18/14 12:14 PM
Hi,
you are right on the production

This is an old song of mine.
I was not too able using BiB
Maybe it's the whole process that is no good.

Before I create the base in BiB
than I export it as mp3 file
At this point I record the guitar on the base using or Real Band
or others software.

The guitar goes into a multi-effect that goes directly to the computer sound card and perhaps the Gretsch guitar that is an hollowbody can create acoustic problem with her sounding board.

However have patience. I'll post other song and I hope you continue to give me advice and I will try to apply.

I hear from you soon.
Hallo
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: New song - After the storm - 10/19/14 01:08 PM
Sergio....

Always try to use wave files in your work not mp3's.

The only time you want to even think about an mp3 is when you convert the finished wave to MP3 for posting on the music servers we like to use, like Sound click or sound cloud where mp3 is required... then, you want to use the highest resolution mp3 possible to fit into the limits of that server.

I always try to avoid the use of FX in the recording process. I prefer clean dry tracks. I use FX as plugs only where they will improve the sound quality. For guitar, you absolutely must get the right sound up front before you press record.

I set up my guitar to sound like I want it, then I record a short section to see what it sounds like on playback in the mix. I adjust the tone and try again if it doesn't work.

One thing to know.... you can tweek the guitar (or any instrument for that matter) to where it sounds really good, and repeat that for each other instrument in the mix by soloing them one at a time.... then , when you put them all in the mix together, they sound like crap. The reason is that they each contain the frequencies to make them sound good individually, but together, the freqs overlap and you end up with mud because there's way to much energy in the frequency bands....

It's for this reason that I start a mix with drums and bass..... together.... get them sounding good and start adding and tweeking from there.

That's my way of working.... it's not the only way to do things... just how I do them.
Posted By: MarioD Re: New song - After the storm - 10/20/14 12:23 AM
Sergio I agree with Herb about the bass heavy sound tracks. I do like the sound of your guitar and the chord progression! You are a very fine guitarist!

It is interesting that Herb and I work in the very same way; I didn't know that before today. The only difference that I can tell is that I record my guitar with Amplitude 3 while he may be recording off of his guitar amp. Either way, like he said, it is a trial and error method. Herb has made some very important points.
Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: New song - After the storm - 10/20/14 06:20 PM
Hi Guitarhacker,

did you mean that I can connect my guitar (with volume and tone max settings) to a usb sound card I can record in a program like real band a clean guitar? after I use the program effect to apply to the guitar. If I understand correctly, I'll try with next recordings.

I saw in your recording studio the Line 6 pod; I have got one too. But when do you use it in recording?

Thanks.

Hallo.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: New song - After the storm - 10/21/14 12:13 AM
Technically yes, you can record straight in and get a clean sounds and then use an amp sim to effect the guitar..... however, I personally, hate that method.

I use the POD2 as you saw or a mic on my boogie amp. The POD2 is used on about 80% of my guitar parts. It's only recently that I've started to use the boogie mic'd for tone....and I think it's actually a cleaner sound.... even with distortion cranked. It's certainly more "real" sounding than the POD.... not that I have any issues with the POD...

The POD2 outputs run direct to the Saffire Interface audio inputs and that is straight into the software.... or a mic into the Saffire Audio input.... the mic is a condenser mic.

I prefer to get the sound I want up front... including reverb. Then I rarely have to do more than a very slight reverb and or some eq to make the guitar fit the mix better.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New song - After the storm - 10/21/14 02:28 AM
Really love the vibe!! For a moment, I thought I was listening to a Pink Floyd record-great mix of synth strings and guitar soloing. Really like this! Take care. Greg
© PG Music Forums