if she fires it often enough
   someone's gonna fall
   that's all there is to it
   holly's got a heart
   and she's not afraid to use it

...and the Band...
RealDrums in Song: NashvilleEven8^1-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare,
RealTracks in style: ~~520:Bass, Electric, Pop HalfNotes Ev 165
RealTracks in song: 845:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm CountryRockPopping Ev 120 (A:sync)
RealTracks in song: 378:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming DoubleTime Ev 088
RealTracks in song: 581:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Blues Roadhouse Ev 120 ('A' only)
RealTracks in song: 848:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm CountryRockRiff Ev 120 (A:sync)
RealTracks in song: 620:Pedal Steel, Background Cowboy Ev 165
RealTracks in song: 412:Guitar, Electric, Soloist Cowboy Ev 165
RealTracks in song: 1518:Guitar, Electric, Soloist CountryWorkinBrent Ev16 090

Have at it.

floyd
Posted By: gibson Re: Holly's Got A Heart - 10/24/14 03:29 PM
Floyd,

That got me rockin'.
I expected you to do a solo laugh
Quote:
gut-wrenchin', toe-clinchin' hit-you-from-behind kind
I like that line, when those were the days for me!! altho' some girls probably would say that they felt the gut wrenching, toe clenching feeling when they saw me shimmy on over lol.

As I have said before this is the country I like.

Thoroughly enjoyed.

Alyn
Posted By: dcuny Re: Holly's Got A Heart - 10/24/14 04:40 PM
Yep, that's a rocker all right. I like the way it opens it a matter of fact tone, and gets right to the chorus.

I cheated and read the lyrics first - I liked the asymmetrical stuff you threw in there, and how natural it sounded when sung - the hits on "use it" were a nice touch. I thought the bridge was especially effective.

Nice song, nicely done... As usual! smile
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Holly's Got A Heart - 10/24/14 08:09 PM
Alyn - thanks for the spin. It was best to leave this one to Brent...

David - appreciate it... if it doesn't sound natural, "you've done something wrong" - should always be the foremost thought in a songwriter's mind... that and... "if it's cliché, throw it away".
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Holly's Got A Heart - 10/24/14 09:56 PM
Very nice. Jumpin' stuff man.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: ROG Re: Holly's Got A Heart - 10/24/14 10:35 PM
Hi Floyd.

Classic country, right up there at your usual professional high standard throughout, which doesn't leave me a lot more to say.

Well, maybe just one thing, but I had to look really hard this time!

This isn't as pronounced on the mains, but in the 'phones you can hear the instruments stop at different times when sustaining the last chord. It's marginal, but I think back to the days when we did sessions and I don't think we'd have got away with that.

Hey, you're making it really difficult for me to find anything at all these days, but I know you'd be disappointed if we didn't have our usual discussion about something?

Regards, ROG.
Posted By: RnAM Re: Holly's Got A Heart - 10/25/14 12:24 AM
Hi Floyd,

A very nice country rock song!
Sounds very steady and crispy clear through my speakers.
Quality as usual, I especially like the bridge and the pedal steel guitar in it.
Some real tracks in there I haven't tried yet.

regards,
Rob
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Holly's Got A Heart - 10/25/14 02:27 AM
Floyd. Another good write and production. Good choice of instruments and it kept me interested from start to finish.

Charlie
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Holly's Got A Heart - 10/25/14 12:59 PM
Hey, you have a nice classic 80's style country rocker there my friend.

The mix is nice and clean. Vocals are good.

I especially liked the way you treated the modulation.

Nits: end of the second verse coming into the chorus.... something's not synced properly and the ending....as has been pointed out, is a bit careless.

Other than those small nits, listening on this small speaker computer system, the mix sounded good.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Holly's Got A Heart - 10/25/14 02:16 PM
What a cool country rocker! We were
streaming it in the breakfast room this
morning and Janice's visiting 93 year
old mother was loving it! Tapping out
the drum beat in perfect time and
saying how much she likes that voice.

Note: She raised a family of musical
folks and genuinely likes a zillion
genres. She still has a great left hand
rhythm on the piano.

Heck, floyd you are trans-generational
indeed. Our nieces and nephews
and mothers love it. And this one is
another example why. Great lyric and
arrangement along with your typical
incredible grasp of what can be done
with BIAB. Big studio sound on my
studio system and on the "big"
living room system.

A great Saturday morning spin!

J&B
Posted By: boehm Re: Holly's Got A Heart - 10/25/14 02:19 PM
Hi Floyd,

another good story and production. I like the choice of instruments and the mix. Very rocking.
Thanks for sharing this with us.

Guenter
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Holly's Got A Heart - 10/25/14 05:00 PM
Hi Floyd
Havent had much time for listening lately but had to give this one a listen because my daughter's name is Holly. Read the lyrics to her and it got a smile on her face even before we listened to the song. We loved it!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Holly's Got A Heart - 10/25/14 10:51 PM
BOB! So very nice to have you around for a listen.... and, btw, where is the next BOB-song????

ROG - thanks, as always... the little "disconnect" at the end was intentional. I could have easily deleted it. But I liked how it sounded like one guy just didn't quite get that last chord right. It happens all the time in the studio. And sometimes they become iconic. (did you know the piano at the beginning of Seger's Old Time Rock'n'Roll was a mistake?). I left it in for a little fun and "realism"....
Posted By: ROG Re: Holly's Got A Heart - 10/25/14 10:59 PM
Hmmm... And I really thought I'd caught you out this time, Floyd.

I should, of course, have known better.

Maybe next time...

ROG.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Holly's Got A Heart - 10/27/14 01:47 AM
First I really like the beat and your arrangement choices to support that country groove you've got going. Interesting lyric approach that works. Well sung.

Josie
Posted By: Al-David Re: Holly's Got A Heart - 10/27/14 02:00 AM
Howdy Floyd ...

Great country rocker from early to mid eighties. Loved everything about about. Did notice one small thing:

Coming out of the chorus, I think that lead guitar on the left channel could use a little more volume. just until the the next verse begins, then drop it back where it was. I guess that's really more of a personal preference than a nit, but it stood out a touch to me (Alan).

We love key modulations ... they give the song a whole new spirit and makes it fly as high as the previous verses/choruses. Kinda like infusing new energy and "oomph".

Nice stuff, as always! Best to you ...

Alan & Di
Posted By: tommyad Re: Holly's Got A Heart - 10/27/14 12:50 PM
floyd, Good solid write. Love the modulation after the bridge. Good use of the steel in the bridge. The vocals are spot on. At first I thought the lead guitar was a little busy in the choruses, but I realize at that speed and with so many notes being played it would have not been possible to cut fills in and out. On further listening it really does work as is. I also love the opening. One of your best comments to date is [ " if it doesn't sound natural, "you've done something wrong" - should always be the foremost thought in a songwriter's mind... that and... "if it's cliché, throw it away". ] This is valuable information to all of us aspiring songwriters. It is something I've always thought but probably never verbalized. Thanks as always for sharing your thoughts on what you do so well. Once again, Well Done! Tom
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Holly's Got A Heart - 10/27/14 08:46 PM
that gut-wrenchin', toe-clinchin' hit-you-from-behind kind
with no denying it's real

That's crafty writing! The whole production is top notch. Very clever and different metaphor which is superbly executed. If I was going to change anything, I would consider going G to A (I believe the song is in G?) to D with the melody climbing in the line "with both sides pumpin'..." I think it would offer a nice musical change. Just a thought. Really excellent write!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Holly's Got A Heart - 10/28/14 02:27 PM
Rob - thanks - appreciate that...

Thanks, Charlie - glad you enjoyed it...

Herb - thanks for the listen. I listened to that section a number of times and am not hearing whatever it is you think is there. "something's not synced" is pretty nebulous. I can guarantee you that I am never careless about any aspect of a production. The ending was intentional. I had just seen the Muscle Shoals movie and one of the things that really stuck with me was Rick Hall's comment at the very end of the movie regarding how sterile music is today because all the little things that make it "human" are removed. So I decided to leave it. I like "human".
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Holly's Got A Heart - 10/29/14 02:45 PM
J&B - Mama is one of my favorite people! smile Thanks for all the nice words...

Guenter - always appreciate your comments. Thanks

Joanne - I know you've been busy. Haven't listened to your CD, but will... I popped into your SJ kick off for a couple of minutes (all I had time for) and just happened to hit it at the middle of I Will Always Be Here...
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Holly's Got A Heart - 10/29/14 03:21 PM
Floyd,

Nice listen. I could "see" Alan Jackson rearing back from the microphone while his boot is tapping away. Really his kind of song in my mind and that's a good thing.

Sounds like you had a lot of fun with this song. Once again as good an example of what a person can do with BiaB as anyone can ask for.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Holly's Got A Heart - 10/29/14 06:02 PM
Floyd, another winner!

Great lyrics, vocals and backing tracks, what's not to like!

This is a keeper.

Ps I agree with the Alan Jackson comment.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Holly's Got A Heart - 10/30/14 09:54 PM
ROG - yeah.. maybe smile

Thanks, Josie. Appreciate that.

Alan & Di - Thanks. I had thought that same thing at one point. Next time I have the studio going, I'll pull it up and see if bringing that up some works. Thanks for the listen.

Tom - Appreciate all of that. For this type production I've always liked that semi-busy guitar under the chorus utilized as a "second rhythm" - it plays the same thing under all the choruses so it becomes a part of the recognizable sound of the song once you've heard it enough to be familiar with it... although I may be the only one who listens that many times smile

Posted By: floyd jane Re: Holly's Got A Heart - 10/31/14 01:05 PM
Greg - thanks! LOL - that would mean re-doing the whole thing - not sure I'd want to do that... too many song waiting to be written and recorded. And life gets shorter all the time smile

Jim - Always appreciate you dropping in for a listen. Having been a big Alan Jackson fan, I like that mention... when I do these type songs, I naturally fall into that AJ type production/sound....thanks again.

Mario - appreciate that!
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Holly's Got A Heart - 10/31/14 10:57 PM
Dang, Floyd! Just DANG!

When I see your name on a song in the user showcase, I always know its going to be top-notch... yet, every single time I get blown away all over again.

If you were only good at one thing, I'd take some comfort in that.. but your lyrics are always pro-quality, your arrangements are always catchy and fun, and your mixes are (to my ears) flawless.

Truly, you da man!
Oops, that was a cliche, I should delete it... (NAH!)
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Holly's Got A Heart - 11/03/14 10:59 PM
Pat - I appreciate the very kind comments..... But I really like the joke at the end! HA! Crack me up! smile (you were paying attention..)
Posted By: dani48 Re: Holly's Got A Heart - 11/04/14 12:18 AM
Hi, Floyd !:))

Have been away a lot
and when peeping in on
the site I noticed your
super song ! You have
to excuse me for not
finding any new superlatives
to throw in ! If there were any
your production would have
got them all !!:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Holly's Got A Heart - 11/04/14 10:48 PM
Dani - Thanks for the spin. Good to see you back!
© PG Music Forums