PG Music Home
Posted By: jgottlied I'll Give You Everything - 10/30/14 10:19 PM
I wrote this song and recorded it using Real Tracks for all the instrumentation. I apologize that I don't have the exact BB setup but the song was recorded before my old system crashed over a year ago and was a total loss. I dropped each track into Cubase LE for the final mix.

I'll Give You Everything

I'd like to add that I used BB to record many songs and was always very happy with the results. I plan to purchase the latest BB software as soon as I have the money so that I can get back to recording.
Posted By: ROG Re: I'll Give You Everything - 10/30/14 11:11 PM
Hi.

An interesting track. There's a rather unusual effect on the vocal, either a short doubling echo or very small room reverb, which is very pronounced. I wasn't sure about it at first but as the song progressed it seemed more and more to suit the track and I finally decided I liked it.

The song has a quite original feel to it, which is always nice and I'm interested to see what you do with your new BiaB when you eventually go for the up-grade.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. Good first post.

ROG.
Posted By: RnAM Re: I'll Give You Everything - 10/31/14 01:02 AM
Well, this sounds pretty good for real tracks only!
Quite a shame that you don't have the real track list anymore...
I would love to experiment with this style.

Regards,
Rob
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: I'll Give You Everything - 10/31/14 01:55 AM
Really cool track!! Very nice straight, simple arrangement and great production. I'd like to ask how you processed the vocal and the drums-both sounded great! Great stuff! Take care. Greg
Posted By: jgottlied Re: I'll Give You Everything - 10/31/14 04:43 AM
I was recording in an about a 225 square foot room with furniture. Usually at that time I would record two or three different vocal tracks or just duplicate one track several times and then set each track either milliseconds forward or back to artificially add echo and to fatten my normally thin vocals. Sometimes I was happier with the results than other times. I would also sometimes add slight chorus and/or reverb effects to different tracks with reduced volume. I really should have taken a lot of notes on my recording setups and procedures, but my main interest was in getting a recorded version of my songs at least a basic level of production. I sometimes would double the drum tracks similar to the vocals or add effects in Cubase, but I think these may have been dropped in Cubase with no changes. I often picked a Real Style I liked and would swap in Real Tracks from other styles or for different instruments. Sometimes I would create solos using non=solo tracks for many different instruments and drop each into Cubase one at a time. I loved experimenting with Band-in-a-Box to get as close to the way I imagined the songs in my head. I think BB is the most amazing tool I ever used in my songwriting. I made many mistakes that I will learn from, such as moving my BB copy from the external drive to my pc's hard drive. Since that pc crashed, I lost all my BB tracks, the program, all my programed songs, and all my recordings in Cubase. Since then I haven't recorded any new songs. I have several written but I am just not financially able to replace my system to get back to recording yet. I truly appreciate the comments and questions and am glad to help as much as I can. After my three children, music is my truest and greatest passion. I love just about all types of music and have tried to write and record in many different styles.
Posted By: jgottlied Re: I'll Give You Everything - 10/31/14 05:17 AM
I did some digging and found some back-ups I had made of some of my songs on another computer. This song was recorded with the POPBRIT PopBrit 2 guitars 120 style. I am not sure of what if any changes I had made to this particular style and am unable to play the file to see how different it is from the recorded version. I hope that helps some.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: I'll Give You Everything - 10/31/14 07:52 AM
Hi John,

Welcome to the forum.

What a great first post! I enjoyed the journey. It's a very well put together song. You've got the knack!

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Skyline Re: I'll Give You Everything - 10/31/14 11:12 AM
A nice track John! As Noel said, you have the knack, the fours on the snare in the choruses is just right.

John
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: I'll Give You Everything - 10/31/14 11:14 AM
Very cool song. I really liked the vocal treatment. I normally don't like fx on the vox but this one fit quite nicely as ROG pointed out.

When you are trying to use doubling, the best way is to record a unique track each time rather than to slide or nudge the one track several times. You must still tread carefully but the chances of getting comb filtering are reduced somewhat by using unique tracks.

I use doubling on much of my vocal work in the songs I create.

Great first song for the forum. If you've been away from PG for a few years, you're gonna like the new stuff..... great lead/solo real tracks are in there now.
Posted By: tommyad Re: I'll Give You Everything - 10/31/14 12:25 PM
Welcome, This is a great first song. The vocals work well in this style. Very nice production. I enjoyed it a lot. Tom
Posted By: floyd jane Re: I'll Give You Everything - 10/31/14 12:38 PM
John,

Welcome! A solid first post, for sure. Nicely put together and a good mix. I like the vocal effects - works well for this song.

floyd
Posted By: boehm Re: I'll Give You Everything - 10/31/14 03:00 PM
Hi John,

welcome to the forum.
This is a great first song. The vocal effects work well in this genre.
Enjoyable listen.

Guenter
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: I'll Give You Everything - 10/31/14 03:37 PM
Enjoyed the song. Thought it is well written with a good choice for the real tracks and the mix and vocals fit the song nicely.

Charlie
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: I'll Give You Everything - 10/31/14 10:14 PM
Hey John! Welcome to the PGMusic forum! This is an awesome group of talented and encouraging people... And if you want tips, they can do that too!

Regarding your first post: I like it! very engaging... it was a little slow starting due to the long intro, but once you started singing it really grabbed my attention. I can see this song filling the dance floor if you played it at a live gig.

I look forward to hearing more from you!
Posted By: jgottlied Re: I'll Give You Everything - 11/02/14 04:13 PM
Thanks to all for the gracious welcome. I have enjoyed listening to many of your posts on this forum over the last few days. It makes me that much more eager to get a new copy of Band-in-a-Box and get back to recording.
© PG Music Forums