PG Music Home
Posted By: Dan45 1st Post Here! - 11/03/14 01:11 PM

This is my first attempt at re-tracking a previously recorded P&W song using BiaB. I had a lot of fun trying out different styles before settling on the final version which is recorded in BALADR.STY Rock Ballad with Electric Guitar.

366: Bass, Electric, Country EV65
364: Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking EV 065
RealDrums: NashPopBallad
368:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming
367: Guitar, Electric, Background Dreamy

My wife is usually a backup singer but here she sings the lead, I recorded a little bit of slide guitar throughout and sang some towards the end. Also on the Choruses I added a "dumbec" drum pattern from within Sonar...not even sure what that is but I like how it sounds, kind of like Congas I guess.

"Lord Help me to listen, Lord help me to hear
Your gentle whisper singing in my ear
Sometimes it's hard to know your way
I'm listening but I still can't hear
But I know it's not too late
and wherever I go from here, I'll wait on You
I'll wait on You.
(Run and not grow weary, walk and not faint, rise up like Eagles, renew my strength)

I'll Wait on You (revised)
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: 1st Post Here! - 11/03/14 01:33 PM
Nice P/W song.

That's one of the cool things about BB... the ease with which one can "try on" various styles, keys, tempos, before settling in on the one that works best.

I have retracked some of my songs 3 or more times before I finally got close to that one style/groove, that actually works best with a song.

Nice work.
Posted By: tommyad Re: 1st Post Here! - 11/03/14 01:43 PM
Dan, Very good 1st post. Welcome. Good choice of real tracks. I would definitely turn up the vocal in the beginning. It seemed to get progressively louder as the song got closer at the end. I liked the call and response with your voice. Keep writing and keep posting. Your wife has an easy to listen to voice that reminded me of the character Scarlett on the TV show Nashville. Tom
Posted By: Dan45 Re: 1st Post Here! - 11/03/14 04:46 PM
Thanks for all the feedback!
I made some changes and reloaded.

It's funny, now I can hear some bleed through of the original egg-shaker click track on some of the vocals. It comes and goes according to where I sliced and diced the old vocal tracks. Oh well!
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: 1st Post Here! - 11/03/14 05:00 PM
This is very nice. Good choice of real tracks, good vocals and well written lyrics. I agree that it needs a bit of tweaking on the levels and to bring the vocals a bit forward in the mix. You can't go wrong letting your wife take the lead vocals sometimes, she has a nice voice.

You're off to a great start and I look forward to hearing more from you soon.

Charlie
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: 1st Post Here! - 11/03/14 09:00 PM
Pretty song!! Nice music and feel. Although I think sparse works well with this song, you might dress up the arrangement a little in some parts (strings, pad?). Great work! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: 1st Post Here! - 11/03/14 09:03 PM
And, BTW, thanks very much for re-posting my song "The right lane of life". I was very touched to hear it start after yours played. Thanks!! Greg
Posted By: MarioD Re: 1st Post Here! - 11/03/14 09:07 PM
This is really good! I liked your wife's vocals, she sounds great. I like the backing tracks and personally I wouldn't change a thing.

Great first post.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: 1st Post Here! - 11/03/14 10:56 PM
Good job on this, Dan. A nice set of tracks that carry the lyric and vocal well. Your wife has a cool singing voice (Tom's right!...Scarlett..).

Welcome to the Showcase! Look forward to more.

floyd
Posted By: Sundance Re: 1st Post Here! - 11/04/14 04:51 AM
Welcome Dan,

Good first post. Really enjoyed the song, the vocal from your wife and the call and response with you coming in towards the end. Like the slide guitar you played in addition to the RT's you used too.

Josie
Posted By: Skyline Re: 1st Post Here! - 11/04/14 10:29 AM
Wow, perfectly lovely. Nicely engineered also.

John
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: 1st Post Here! - 11/04/14 12:19 PM
Hi Dan!

welcome to the PGMusic user showcase! Very nice song! Praise and Worship is one of my favorite listening genres, and this song fits right into my play list!

The combination of your song and your wife's singing reminded me of Paul and Rita Baloche ... probably my favorite P&W husband-wife team.

Great introduction to your music! I think you'll fit right in around here!

I look forward to hearing more from you and your songbird spouse. wink
Posted By: boehm Re: 1st Post Here! - 11/04/14 02:23 PM
Hi Dan,

welcome to the forum.
Great first post.
I like the vocals and the backing tracks with the steel and all those tiny rhythmic bits.
I listened to the remixed version and I wouldn't change anything.

Guenter
Posted By: Dan45 Re: 1st Post Here! - 11/04/14 03:53 PM
Thanks so much for all the welcoming comments! I'm definitely feeling encouraged to go back and dust off a few other nuggets. Part of the learning curve, getting back into the whole recording world. I haven't written anything new in a while, but that will come.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: 1st Post Here! - 11/04/14 04:13 PM
Welcome!

We enjoyed the spin. Nice
arrangement and mix.

J&B
Posted By: dani48 Re: 1st Post Here! - 11/04/14 10:14 PM
Hi, Dan ! :))

Welcome among the posters
on this forum !:))

This is really a very nice song
and your wife has a very beautiful
voice and yours is not bad either !:))

A very enjoyable listen !:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: RnAM Re: 1st Post Here! - 11/04/14 11:05 PM
Hello Dan,

this is a very nice song!
The audio quality is quite clear, lots of high frequencies in it.
I read in one of your replies that you redid the song.
In my opinion the female vocals are little bit too loud, could probably also use a little bit of reverb. But that's just my opinion.

Anyway, very well done.

Regards,
Rob
© PG Music Forums