PG Music Home
Posted By: joesarahh I Like You - 11/13/14 06:18 PM
I Like You is my latest song written for television. The lyrics, genera, tempo and vocal style are designed to fit the unique needs of TV. The button ending also fits that template. This is a simple song with painfully simple lyrics done in a pop style with a bit of modern grunge folk used to create emotional appeal.

The piece is 120bpm and is based around a core Cello loop taken from the Looperman web site that is copyright free and usable commercially. The base style used is POPPNOL.STY. but ultimately several loops were imported and used largely with Real Band once BIAB had generated the basic instrumentation.
Piano is acoustic PopLiverpool EV
Drums are NashvilleBrushesBalladPush EV16
Guitar is Bouzouki, Rhythm CelticReel EV16
Then several loops were added.
The backup vocals are the auto harmonies of Real Band done with a %75 female voice in the FolkVib style. One voice, up which is my favorite. My vocals were recorded here in my studio with a Blue "Reactor" Microphone. I took the rock power out of my voice and sang ever so slightly out of tune with to create the Folk Grunge. Doing the same with the backup singer added to the feel.

Thanks
Joe
Of Joe and the Reluctant Prophets

SoundCloud
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: I Like You - 11/13/14 06:39 PM
Joe,

I find that I have to listen to some songs several times before I get a feel for it, but this one was INSTANTLY likable!

I am totally impressed to see that you created the "female" backing vocal using tools supplied by PGMusic to modify your voice! I was about to ask if the female singer was your wife or girlfriend!

Speaking of voices, yours is highly distinctive and marketable... a fact I'd guess is by design. I'm glad you are targeting TV.. I wish you much success.. based on this project, I'd say you have good momentum!

You're using a bunch of capabilities in these programs that don't get exploited very often here on the forum.. your use of loops is done VERY well... nothing about this song says BIAB.. you have used the tools at your disposal to create something that flows like it was played by studio musicians. All of my musical sensibilities are whole-heartedly pleased by this presentation of yours!

I see you are a fairly new forum member with only 15 posts... welcome to the forum! You bring good things for us to hear, and I look forward to hearing more of them!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: I Like You - 11/13/14 08:20 PM
A very enjoyable track, Joe.

Everything holds together so nicely from start to finish.

Interesting. Original (to my ears, anyway).

Good use of all the tools.

Well done. A good listen. I liked it!

floyd
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: I Like You - 11/13/14 08:09 PM
A superb offering Joe. Enjoyed it and a nice, different touch with your vocals on this one. Thanks for posting and also sharing how you developed the songs and vocals. I'd been hoping for another posting from you for a while.

Charlie
Posted By: RnAM Re: I Like You - 11/13/14 09:10 PM
Hi Joe,

This is a very good production in every way! The cello loop is very functional. (We didn't know about this Looperman site, thanks for mentioning). Your vocals are impressive. We also listened to Jeremiad. Very emotional way of singing, great song.

Regards,
Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: Scott C Re: I Like You - 11/13/14 11:33 PM
Very enjoyable listen. Thanks for sharing
Posted By: Sundance Re: I Like You - 11/13/14 11:49 PM
Hey Joe,

I'm totally impressed. These "easy" little singer/songwriter pop songs for tv/film are not that easy to pull off at all imo. It takes a lot of skill to make it universal with a fresh slant and keep it interesting plus sounding emotionally authentic to the specific emotion. I'd love to write one this catchy and current.

Sounds great to me. Love it. And wonderful description of your process too.

Hope it gets picked up and let us know!

Josie
Posted By: joesarahh Re: I Like You - 11/14/14 01:56 AM
Gosh folks, thanks, if anyone cares, another great site for free loops is http://www.freesound.org/. I use it and Looperman quite often and am developing a pretty nifty library of sounds.
Posted By: joesarahh Re: I Like You - 11/14/14 02:05 AM
Hard to thank you enough for the comments, you have seen right through to the heart of song. I use loops in conjunction with BIAB as I find they do wonders for removing the BIAB distinct audio signature. I have increasingly found using them in tandem yields a vastly superior sound. I had one A&R man comment that a piece, (not one of mine) sounded a bit "Band in a Boxy". As I was the next poor sod in line handing out recordings I sort of quietly turned around and tiptoed out unnoticed to return another day with a better sound. Loops is one of the tricks I have found to "mask" the BIAB sound without loosing the powerful songwriting and recording tool the software really is.
Posted By: boehm Re: I Like You - 11/14/14 11:47 AM
Hi Joe,

interesting song. You handled all the tools in a fine way.
And you're right: no BiaB sound at all. Sounds very original. Good voice and harmonies.

Guenter
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: I Like You - 11/14/14 12:30 PM
Originally Posted By: joesarahh
Hard to thank you enough for the comments, you have seen right through to the heart of song. I use loops in conjunction with BIAB as I find they do wonders for removing the BIAB distinct audio signature. I have increasingly found using them in tandem yields a vastly superior sound. I had one A&R man comment that a piece, (not one of mine) sounded a bit "Band in a Boxy". As I was the next poor sod in line handing out recordings I sort of quietly turned around and tiptoed out unnoticed to return another day with a better sound. Loops is one of the tricks I have found to "mask" the BIAB sound without loosing the powerful songwriting and recording tool the software really is.

Instead of using the phrase "A BETTER SOUND" (pretty tough to sound better than the pro studio musicians who made all the real tracks) Maybe another way to describe what you are doing would be to say "A MORE DISTINCTIVE SOUND" ... because we all want to differentiate our compositions from everyone else's. Industry people EXPECT the quality to be good. What they're looking for is a distinctive sound... something that says you and only you.

That's probably the main question I ask myself when listening to songs posted to the forum: "what makes this song unique?"
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: I Like You - 11/14/14 01:42 PM
Breaking news! This song just got featured on PGMusic's Facebook Page!

CHECK IT OUT!

(Link may not go directly to the song, you may have to scroll to it!... but they gave it a very flattering setup!)
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: I Like You - 11/14/14 02:55 PM
Cool tune!! Good energy, good emotion, and (as always with your stuff) great vocals! Very pleasant listen. Thanks for posting. Take care. Greg
Posted By: joesarahh Re: I Like You - 11/14/14 05:43 PM
Holy hype Batman, somebody put it on PG's Facebook page! How humbeling is that? I didn't even know PG had a facebook page.
Posted By: gibson Re: I Like You - 11/15/14 06:44 AM
Joe,
Nice emotive vocal delivery.

And from 2.30 a good ending, excellent!

Alyn
© PG Music Forums