PG Music Home
Posted By: Rafa T Final versions - 11/14/14 09:42 AM
Hi all, here I bring you the new and final version of two songs that I posted here two years ago (yes, I'm a slow man). My good friend and great saxophone player Morgan Hernandez has put his art on them and improved.
Piano, bass and drums are RealTracks (you can find the details in the original posts)

Hope you like it

Blues in the box
https://soundcloud.com/rafa-toledo/blues-in-the-box-1
Happy lucky chachi
https://soundcloud.com/rafa-toledo/happy-lucky-chachi-final-version

EDIT: this are the old posts
Blues in the box
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=383854&site_id=1#import

Happy lucky chachi
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=348498&site_id=1#import
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Final versions - 11/14/14 09:55 AM
Nice stuff there.

2 years ago... the original posts are buried too deep to try to find the tracks you used.

This is really nice though... it's a good example of how well music can sound with BB using real players in the mix.

Nice chops.
Posted By: Rafa T Re: Final versions - 11/14/14 10:13 AM
Thanks guitarhacker for your words, appreciated.
Is easy to find the songs if you use the list of songs (the second post on this forum)
http://www.pgmusic.com/user-showcase/?genre=jazz
I will add the links to my post
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Final versions - 11/14/14 10:17 AM
Beautiful music. Both songs were very enjoyable listens. Thanks for posting.

Charlie
Posted By: boehm Re: Final versions - 11/14/14 12:17 PM
Hi Rafa,

thanks that you revisited those two songs. They are great.
The sax adds a lot, especially the unison parts in "blues in the box". You really let it jump out of the box.
I listened to the old versions again. They were good. But the new ones are excellent.

Guenter
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Final versions - 11/14/14 12:39 PM
Wow! Instantly likable stuff!
You may be slow but you're good!

Both you and your sax-playing friend have added very personal statements to these songs! Was it an online collaboration? Or do you live close enough to collaborate in the same studio? I especially like the guitar-sax harmonies in the song "Blues in a Box"... wow, very attention getting!

I see from another post that you know Dean Clark. I guess its true that "birds of a feather flock together".. you both have that Jazz thang goin' on!

BIAB has traditionally been a Jazz musician's dream program, and it has been somewhat of an unexpected trend that Jazz musicians are under-represented on this forum. With the presence of you, Dean and a few others, I hope that trend is about to change! I look forward to hearing more from you and your collaborators!

Posted By: Rafa T Re: Final versions - 11/14/14 01:48 PM
@foogle
Thanks to you, I'm happy that you enjoy the songs

@Boehm
Thanks for your words, I've heard so many times the songs on the mixing process that I lost the perspective, so I win confidence if a good composer like you think the songs are better now

@Pat
Thanks Pat, glad you liked it ;-)
I took advantage of my friend traveled to my island for a concert (we live in Canary Islands) and brought it to my house to record the songs one morning. No Studio here, only my PC with my Echo Mia soundcard (now i got Focusrrite 18i8) and one borrowed mic.

I'am virtual friend from Dean, like you ;-) I'm big fan from him, and Dean has always been generous with me.
I agree with you that there is surprisingly little jazz in this forum, hopefully come new teammates
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Final versions - 11/14/14 02:09 PM
Very nice and the sax really iced the cake.

Enjoyed it.

J&B
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Final versions - 11/14/14 02:47 PM
Two excellent tracks!! Great guitar licks. Heard some George Winston in the second tune. Great work! Don't wait 2 years to post more!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Final versions - 11/14/14 05:51 PM
Rafa,

"blues in the box" is one of the finest things I've heard in this forum. Composition, arrangement, playing - all superb. The mix is excellent. It does not get much more pro sounding than that.

And just absolutely enjoyable!

"Happy Lucky ChaChi" would not play for me... Soundcloud does that sometimes on my computer (just spins).

But I will DEFINITELY be back to listen when it settles down...

AWESOME.

floyd
Posted By: RnAM Re: Final versions - 11/14/14 08:25 PM
Hi Rafa,

Both songs are very good, but we like the latest versions better. Cool sax. Thanks for posting.

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: Rafa T Re: Final versions - 11/14/14 08:45 PM
@Janice & Bud
Thanks, and I agree, the sax adds another flavor ;-)

@Greg
Thanks man, I appreciate your words. Later I will go to youtube to discover who is George Winston, is one of my favourite pleasure when I find some new artist

@FJ
What I can say?, it is an honor for me that you liked the song so much. Your words are very valuable to me, because I believe, like many others here, you're a great songwriter and producer. So many beautiful songs with exquisite taste in instrumentation and sound. You are one of our Dream Team.
Muchas gracias.

@R&AM
Thanks for taking the time to listen
Posted By: MarioD Re: Final versions - 11/14/14 09:49 PM
Blues in the Box is as pro sounding as anything I have heard, either here or on a CD! You have really super jazz chops and those sax/guitar unison parts are over the top! You and that sax man should do more together.

Take everything that I said about Blues in the Box and copy it down here for Happy Lucky Chachi!

These are two keepers in my book!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Final versions - 11/15/14 11:14 AM
Rafa,

I got "Happy Lucky Chachi" to play. It is every bit a good as the other. Tasteful. Professional. A real treat...

STUNNINGLY good!

floyd
Posted By: Rafa T Re: Final versions - 11/15/14 06:42 PM
@Mario

Thank you very much Mario,You're very generous with me.

@FJ

So...double thanks ;-)
Posted By: Scott C Re: Final versions - 11/15/14 08:48 PM
Excellent tunes Rafa. My favorite was Happy Lucky Chachi. Excellent guitar work. Loved your guitar tune. That scatting in Blues in the Box was pretty cool.
Posted By: Rafa T Re: Final versions - 11/16/14 06:09 PM
@Scott
Thanks for your words!
Posted By: aleck rand Re: Final versions - 11/17/14 10:40 PM
Originally Posted By: aleck rand
Rafa,
Check my comments on your stuff on SoundCloud. You have that clean, pure sound that reminds me so much of Grant Green, but you're a man with your own ideas, your own voice. It is such a struggle to get there and you got there.

Dean
Posted By: Rafa T Re: Final versions - 11/18/14 08:25 PM
Thanks Dean, you are very generous with me.
What a great player Grant Green, I think he is one of the best guitar players that follow the Wes Montgomery "school", like George Benson too.
Wes is really incredible...Is my number One forever.
Posted By: Icelander Re: Final versions - 04/01/15 02:32 PM
Killer jazz of top quality, from two very different angles - Colour me mighty impressed! cool
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Final versions - 04/01/15 05:00 PM
(yes, I'm a slow man)......Maybe so, but some things are worth the wait. These are great tracks!! Both of you are amazing players. Loved it! Take care. Greg
Posted By: cubanpete Re: Final versions - 04/01/15 11:30 PM
Hola Rafa, don't remember having heard the original post, but in any case these are great tunes man! My kind of music. Playing and mixing impeccable.
Bravo compaƱero!

Mike B.
Posted By: Rafa T Re: Final versions - 04/03/15 01:30 PM
Originally Posted By: cubanpete
Hola Rafa, don't remember having heard the original post, but in any case these are great tunes man! My kind of music. Playing and mixing impeccable.
Bravo compaƱero!

Mike B.

Muchas gracias amigo!
Best regards from the Canary Islands ;-)
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Final versions - 04/03/15 03:46 PM
All round great job.
Well mixed.
Rob.
Posted By: Rafa T Re: Final versions - 04/04/15 07:06 PM
Thanks Rob!
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Final versions - 04/07/15 10:08 PM
Really nice work on these two songs. Very enjoyable.

About being "a slow man"; some tings are worth waiting for. I'm still reworking songs from 35 years ago!!
SD
Posted By: Sironedragon Re: Final versions - 09/29/21 04:30 AM
cool where did you study guitar
© PG Music Forums