PG Music Home
Posted By: jannesan I Threw You Out - 11/16/14 07:14 AM
I Threw You Out

I have made several versions of this song with different female Vocaloids, but for this version I hired a real vocalist. Maybe too expensive way when songwriting is just a modest hobby for me, but I wanted to try something different and the end result is not so bad.

RealTracks used:

Acoustic Bass #481
RealDrums JazzTerryClarke
Acoustic Piano #2314
Acoustic Guitar #527
Electric Guitars #939, #969
Trumpet #494

Solo guitar melody uses SampleTank Silk Shake - I have used lots of effects to find the sound I want (echo, chorus, stereo expander, compressor, eq), but I'm still not fully satisfied with the result.

Mixed with Adobe Audition.

Janne
Posted By: Scott C Re: I Threw You Out - 11/16/14 10:16 AM
Very nice listen. Enjoyed it
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: I Threw You Out - 11/16/14 10:28 AM
Nice tune and I think your vocalist did a good job for you. Enjoyed this.

Charlie
Posted By: boehm Re: I Threw You Out - 11/16/14 12:25 PM
Hi Janne,

very nice song. You hired a great singer.
Enjoyable listens.

Guenter
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: I Threw You Out - 11/16/14 02:40 PM
the end result is not so bad......That's an extreme understatement. This is excellent!! Music works great-great composition and great use of "the Band". Love the singer-perfect for the song. Trumpet works beautifully. Great job all around!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: I Threw You Out - 11/16/14 05:09 PM
good call hiring the vocalist!!

how did you find this vocalist? Was she an online collaborator? A local singer? a friend? Hired through a talent agency?

(I want to be thrown out by somebody that classy....)
Posted By: MarioD Re: I Threw You Out - 11/16/14 06:40 PM
Janne, this is fantastic! Great sound selection, tempo, and mix. Great work on that guitar solo.

PS - keep this singer as she is great!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: I Threw You Out - 11/16/14 07:10 PM
Janne,

"Middle-age chaos swirls in my heart" ... I really like that line...

Your singer is sensational.

The arrangement is very good. And the mix is, too. I think there is a little too much reverb on the overall mix - you can hear it on the count-in, so I'm assuming it is on the final mix (?) - maybe not. The arrangement and vocal are good enough that they should not need that little extra reverb...

Cool stuff...

floyd
Posted By: RnAM Re: I Threw You Out - 11/16/14 07:15 PM
Hello Jannesan,

We think this is a very good song. The vocals are also very professional. Speaking of which, next time you may want to hire one of us for your vocals. We love to do it and we're probably going to be a lot cheaper whistle.

Regards,
R & AM
Posted By: gibson Re: I Threw You Out - 11/17/14 04:36 AM
Beautiful song.

That vocalist was worth the money.
The trumpet fits so well making the song a smooth production.

Enjoyed

Alyn
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: I Threw You Out - 11/17/14 02:07 PM
Janne... would you please post the lyrics...?

I'm having trouble understanding the words... and what I manage to catch sounds very good.. I don't want to miss any of it!
I agree with Floyd about the reverb being a bit too much... in fact, I think that contributes to my inability to understand the lyrics

Once again, this is a very pleasing and interesting work! I'd like to hear more!

Oh, and can I assume that www.DEMOMYSONG.COM is where you hired this singer?
Posted By: jannesan Re: I Threw You Out - 11/17/14 03:40 PM
Thanks all for your nice comments!

Pat, yes I used DemoMySong , I was hoping to get another vocalist, but she was not available at that time, so they suggested me Melissa, first I thought she was not the best possible singer for this kind of tune, but she did very professional job as commentators have stated. You and Floyd are right about the amount of reverb, I got also their own mix, which had drier vocals, but I had to do my own mix and I wanted bit more reverb - I guess I added bit too much :-)

R & AM: thanks for your suggestion, I keep that in my mind when a suitable song comes along.

Pat requested the lyrics, so they are below. I'm not native english speaker, so there definitely are language issues, but I hope they can be accepted as artistic freedom:

I threw you out
nothing was left to talk about
quiet mummy in the armchair
was not worth the affair.
I threw you out
when I was in fire, you were drought
seasons of souls never met
burning lips without sweat.

A teenager living in her dreamland
wish I could teach her the erosion of the bond
too many homes built on just sand
the first waves weather the fond.

[Chorus]

Middle-age chaos swirls in my heart
undermining the equilibrium bliss
what used to complete tears apart
too proud to cross the abyss.

[Chorus]

---

Janne
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I Threw You Out - 11/18/14 06:09 PM
O U T S T A N D I N G !!

J&B
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: I Threw You Out - 11/19/14 10:22 AM
Yeah... this is very well done.

When I work with folks in other studios I always , always insist on dry raw tracks. I can add what level of verb I want.... I can not undo what they do, if they do anything to the tracks.

Certainly this is a well done song. Production chops are top notch. I could hear this in any number of movie scenes as either source or underscore.

The call to use a live singer over the vocaloid was a good one on this.....

I like this song.
Posted By: horsthartung Re: I Threw You Out - 11/20/14 02:01 PM
I think the song lyrics are better than what your Professional singer interpreted them to be...

I don't think she was the right voice for this song.....I'm hearing a more soulful singer who sings with much more feeling and maybe a lower register....
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: I Threw You Out - 11/20/14 05:48 PM
Originally Posted By: horsthartung
I think the song lyrics are better than what your Professional singer interpreted them to be...

I don't think she was the right voice for this song.....I'm hearing a more soulful singer who sings with much more feeling and maybe a lower register....

yep! She's definitely a good singer... but I'd like to hear it done by one of the singer chicks on the forum to see how they would interpret it.
Posted By: jannesan Re: I Threw You Out - 11/21/14 01:01 PM
Guitarhacker, thanks for your nice words. I did get dry vocal tracks, but I added that little extra reverb. I'll be waiting for that movie, then I could rest in peace :-)

Horst, I agree with you. I was hoping to get another singer, IMO more soulful (sample here), but unfortunately she was too busy. And my preferred voice Julie London was not available either :-)

Pat, yes it would be nice to hear, actually any new interpretation would give new dimension, because I feel the song is not complete yet. I have a feeling that it could work also with slower tempo...

Janne
© PG Music Forums