PG Music Home
Posted By: ROG PLAY GUITAR AND GET RICH (with video) - 11/17/14 08:50 PM
Hi Everyone.

It's been a while since I posted a song, so here's a bit of light-hearted nonsense and our first post with a video. The drums, banjo and sax are RTs and the rest is me. It's all recorded in RealBand and mixed and mastered in PowerTracks.
Video editing is done in Serif Movie Plus.

PLAY GUITAR - GET RICH

Sometimes it kind of seems
Like I'm living my life in some sort of dream
I gotta wake up
I'm knocking on the door but there's no one there
I'd like to kick it right in but I'm never gonna dare
I gotta shape up
Won't some one hear my plea
I'm down on the ground on my bended knee
I need some dough and I need it fast
I've got a little bit of money but it's never gonna last.

I'll buy a guitar and then learn to play
I've seen this book called "Play in a Day"
It won't take long
Got this idea about starting a band
Gonna play Rock & Roll, do one night stands
And write a hit song
Write a big hit, how hard can it be
Play it all day on the MTV
Pay me lots of money and make me a star
Buy a big house and drive a fast car
And buy a saxophone

You've gotta have a plan you've got to work it out
You don't get a second chance it's what it's all about
You gotta take it
Never even start to look at second best
Just pick up number one, forget about the rest
You've got to make it
Everybody knows it's just a dream
It's never gonna work it's a stupid scheme
I don't care what people say
Pick up my guitar and begin to play
Something like this.

Many thanks to anyone who has time to listen.

ROG.
Wonderful song, nice production and I really enjoyed the video.

Charlie
Posted By: Sundance Re: PLAY GUITAR AND GET RICH (with video) - 11/17/14 10:39 PM
ROG that's great - video and song - buy a saxophone...LOL!

Loved every minute of it and am still grinning.

Josie
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: PLAY GUITAR AND GET RICH (with video) - 11/17/14 11:40 PM
there have been some really top notch songs posted to the user showcase in the past few weeks, but for sheer "WHOAH! THAT WAS FUN!" impact, I don't think any of them came close to this!!

I loved every aspect of it... I even laughed out loud when the sax player started lying on his back... exactly what you'd expect from the imaginary person singing the song.

Right from the beginning it reminded me of Tom Petty's "INTO THE GREAT WIDE OPEN"

How did you make that video??? That was AWESOME!! I liked it so much I want to make that exact same video and apply to a different song!

And apart from the clever video, the song itself really ROCKED! I tapped my foot from start to finish! (but the video really did add a lot)

Final summary, this project reinforced what I already suspected: "Rog.. you ain't right!" LOL! (just the way we like ya!)
You are a very creative and intelligent man,and it shows in everything you do. Thanks for posting!

Signed,

"A Rebel Without A Clue"
Cool, fun song!! A little Dylan/Petty mixture with a "money for nothin' and chicks for free" sentiment. And, the video put it over the top!! Loved the guitar solo too!! I miss the days of the guitar heroes. Only John Mayer plays solos these days. Great stuff Rog!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: gibson Re: PLAY GUITAR AND GET RICH (with video) - 11/18/14 03:16 AM
ROG

hahaha
Music is up the same high standard but you upped the bar with the video, that must have taken time as I have tried to do similar, but different, and gave up!!

good stuff

Alyn
Hi ROG
That is simply awesome! Do you have to practice that Bob Dylan voice? What a great idea for the video. I love it love it!
Posted By: boehm Re: PLAY GUITAR AND GET RICH (with video) - 11/18/14 01:47 PM
Hi Rog,
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Cool, fun song!! A little Dylan/Petty mixture with a "money for nothin' and chicks for free" sentiment. And, the video put it over the top!! Loved the guitar solo too!

Greg just found the right words.
+1 from me.

Guenter
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: PLAY GUITAR AND GET RICH (with video) - 11/18/14 04:10 PM
breaking news! This song is featured on the PGMusic facebook page!

CHECK IT OUT!!
Howdy Rog,

Pat said it all from our perspective. We are HUGE Petty fans and, man, this one is in that wheelhouse. We're not implying imitation at all....just the Petty Vibe, if you will.

The productions sounds nailed on our monitors. Everything sits where, IMO, it needs to me. Just a great listen from all angles -- production, arrangement, instrumentation, RT use, vocals and lyric. BTW, some folks' results may vary but we really liked the banjo.

Kudos!!

J&B
Posted By: Danny C. Re: PLAY GUITAR AND GET RICH (with video) - 11/18/14 04:32 PM
Rog,

That was wonderful, and of course very creative.

Still on the floor with the line "buy a saxophone" to introduce the sax solo.

As our friend Russ would say . . . good on you man!

Later
Hi Rog...

Very catchy Tune and full of fun....is the Dylan voice ow you always sing or just for this song?

Loved it....
Posted By: 90 dB Re: PLAY GUITAR AND GET RICH (with video) - 11/18/14 06:04 PM
"Buy a big house and drive a fast car
And buy a saxophone..."

Priceless. grin
Posted By: floyd jane Re: PLAY GUITAR AND GET RICH (with video) - 11/18/14 07:56 PM
ROG,

You know I've always been a big fan of your singing voice...Great to hear it again! This one goes straight to the top of the list.

How did you do the opening cymbal? Nice touch!

Great mix. Everything sounds good - and right in the slot. Nice bass!
Those far-off ooohs are nicely done. The sax solo is about the best I've heard in a rock song (What RT was that???). Terrific guitar solo. It sings!

Good use of the banjo.

Good write (yes, the saxophone line made me laugh every time I played this). Cool video.

Awesome. Delightful. A standing O.

floyd
Posted By: Scott C Re: PLAY GUITAR AND GET RICH (with video) - 11/18/14 08:39 PM
Hi Rog

Excellent song and video. Excellent singing and playing. Really enjoyed it
Yeah..... what they said ^^^^^

Cool song and video too.

It has a Dire Straits Money for nothing vibe to me.... in places.... in the phrasing of the lead on the intro especially

sweet tone on the guitar.

I have a buddy who played guitar in a band we were in back in the day.... he came home one day with a sax.... he stuck with it, through all the hours upon hours of practice and can play that thing pretty nicely now.

Loved the rolling banjo in the background of a rock and roll song. cool move.
Posted By: tommyad Re: PLAY GUITAR AND GET RICH (with video) - 11/19/14 10:22 AM
ROG, I am all in on this one. Fantabulous!!! The write, the video , the vocals are all top notch. Excellent choice and editing of real tracks. Mix is just right. Lead guitar is great. I have nothing but good things to say about this one. Your very best to date. Bravo! Tom
Posted By: RnAM Re: PLAY GUITAR AND GET RICH (with video) - 11/20/14 01:33 PM
Hi ROG,

laugh laugh LOL!

Wonderful music and vocals and a very nice video too.

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: ROG Re: PLAY GUITAR AND GET RICH (with video) - 11/20/14 08:09 PM
Originally Posted By: c_fogle
Wonderful song, nice production and I really enjoyed the video.
Charlie

Thanks for the listen, Charlie. Glad you enjoyed it

ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: PLAY GUITAR AND GET RICH (with video) - 11/20/14 08:11 PM
Originally Posted By: Sundance
ROG that's great - video and song - buy a saxophone...LOL!

Loved every minute of it and am still grinning.

Josie

Hi Josie. If it made you smile then it makes my day. Many thanks for the kind words.

ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: PLAY GUITAR AND GET RICH (with video) - 11/20/14 08:26 PM
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
there have been some really top notch songs posted to the user showcase in the past few weeks, but for sheer "WHOAH! THAT WAS FUN!" impact, I don't think any of them came close to this!!

I loved every aspect of it... I even laughed out loud when the sax player started lying on his back... exactly what you'd expect from the imaginary person singing the song.

Right from the beginning it reminded me of Tom Petty's "INTO THE GREAT WIDE OPEN"

How did you make that video??? That was AWESOME!! I liked it so much I want to make that exact same video and apply to a different song!

And apart from the clever video, the song itself really ROCKED! I tapped my foot from start to finish! (but the video really did add a lot)

Final summary, this project reinforced what I already suspected: "Rog.. you ain't right!" LOL! (just the way we like ya!)
You are a very creative and intelligent man,and it shows in everything you do. Thanks for posting!

Signed,

"A Rebel Without A Clue"

Well, Pat, what can I say?

I always regard you as a man of wit and perception, so your views are always most valued.

The video? I got involved with video animation in the days when I did music for advertising and found it fascinating. Back in those days we were working on Amiga 4000s with a Video Toaster card added and they cost a fortune. This was done quite simply using Serif Draw Plus, Serif Movie Plus and even the old and trusted Windows Paint, which is a highly under-rated program.

The sax player was just a lucky break. Sometimes things just work straight out of the box. Basically, I tried to imagine what I'd do if I could actually play the sax and modelled him on that.

Anyway, many thanks for the detailed review and I'm so pleased it raised a laugh.

ROG.
great song and video, rog!
LOL – this one made my day ;-)
Posted By: ROG Re: PLAY GUITAR AND GET RICH (with video) - 11/21/14 08:13 PM
Cool, fun song!! A little Dylan/Petty mixture with a "money for nothin' and chicks for free" sentiment. And, the video put it over the top!! Loved the guitar solo too!! I miss the days of the guitar heroes. Only John Mayer plays solos these days. Great stuff Rog!! Take care. Greg

Greg, thanks for the listen and the positive comments.
Had great fun with the solo - there's not many songs where you can get away with it these days!

ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: PLAY GUITAR AND GET RICH (with video) - 11/21/14 08:14 PM
Originally Posted By: gibson
ROG

hahaha
Music is up the same high standard but you upped the bar with the video, that must have taken time as I have tried to do similar, but different, and gave up!!

good stuff

Alyn

Thanks, Alyn. Yeah, a few hours toil went into the video, but time passes quickly when you're having fun.

ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: PLAY GUITAR AND GET RICH (with video) - 11/21/14 08:18 PM
Originally Posted By: JosieC
Hi ROG
That is simply awesome! Do you have to practice that Bob Dylan voice? What a great idea for the video. I love it love it!

Aw Josie, now you're making me blush.

The voice? No practice needed! I think I'm just stuck with it.

Glad you liked the video - it makes the work worthwhile.

Thanks, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: PLAY GUITAR AND GET RICH (with video) - 11/21/14 08:19 PM
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Rog,
Cool, fun song!! A little Dylan/Petty mixture with a "money for nothin' and chicks for free" sentiment. And, the video put it over the top!! Loved the guitar solo too!

Greg just found the right words.
+1 from me.

Guenter

Much appreciated, Guenter. Many thanks.

ROG.
Posted By: dani48 Re: PLAY GUITAR AND GET RICH (with video) - 11/21/14 08:47 PM
Hi, ROG & Co !:))

This is a helluva tune !!!:))
Impossible to sit still
to this one..... (LOL) !
What a groove !!!

I dig your tunes, they
are always just great !!!:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Al-David Re: PLAY GUITAR AND GET RICH (with video) - 11/22/14 12:39 AM
Hey ROG ...

Just left you a comment on the You Tube video.

And yeah. Nonsense can be a lot of fun! And you did it superbly! Loved everything about it. the Dylin-esque voice, taken up a couple of levels of clarity from his, was perfect! Totally loved it!

My wife, Di, wrote a really silly lyric to a Reggae song track I wrote years ago. It was called "Strawberry Jello." Total nonsense but so much fun! And listening to this song was just about as much fun! Nice work!!!

Best to ya,

Alan & Di
Posted By: ROG Re: PLAY GUITAR AND GET RICH (with video) - 11/22/14 08:15 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Howdy Rog,

Pat said it all from our perspective. We are HUGE Petty fans and, man, this one is in that wheelhouse. We're not implying imitation at all....just the Petty Vibe, if you will.

The productions sounds nailed on our monitors. Everything sits where, IMO, it needs to me. Just a great listen from all angles -- production, arrangement, instrumentation, RT use, vocals and lyric. BTW, some folks' results may vary but we really liked the banjo.

Kudos!!

J&B

Hi Jan & Bud and many thanks for the review. Sorry if it's taking me a while to get round to all the replies.

Tom Petty, yes. Been a great fan for over 30 years, but never intentionally imitated his voice, though some of his style might have rubbed off. That voice is just the one I'm stuck with!

Really glad you liked the banjo. I put it in as much for it's percussive effect as anything - it helped to drive the track along, though as you say it might not have been everyone's choice for this style of music.

Regards, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: PLAY GUITAR AND GET RICH (with video) - 11/22/14 08:20 PM
Originally Posted By: Danny C.
Rog,

That was wonderful, and of course very creative.

Still on the floor with the line "buy a saxophone" to introduce the sax solo.

As our friend Russ would say . . . good on you man!

Later

Danny - I'm indebted to you, not just for this review, but for the kind words you left on the PG facebook page.

I love it when I can make someone laugh, but I hope you're off the floor by now!

Many thanks, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: PLAY GUITAR AND GET RICH (with video) - 11/22/14 08:23 PM
Originally Posted By: horsthartung
Hi Rog...

Very catchy Tune and full of fun....is the Dylan voice ow you always sing or just for this song?

Loved it....

Horst - Many thanks for listening. Unfortunately, that's the only voice I have, so it's just lucky that I like Dylan and Petty.

ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: PLAY GUITAR AND GET RICH (with video) - 11/22/14 08:26 PM
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
"Buy a big house and drive a fast car
And buy a saxophone..."

Priceless. grin

Hi Bob.

A minimalist review which still manages to sum up exactly what I was going for!

Many thanks and regards, ROG.
Posted By: DaveG Re: PLAY GUITAR AND GET RICH (with video) - 11/23/14 01:12 AM
Wow!

Excellent song, mix, vocal, and video.
Shows off what our favorite software can do and your writing, composition, and performing talents.

Very inspiring, thanks for sharing and explaining all the details.

Dave
Posted By: ROG Re: PLAY GUITAR AND GET RICH (with video) - 11/24/14 08:14 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
ROG,

You know I've always been a big fan of your singing voice...Great to hear it again! This one goes straight to the top of the list.

How did you do the opening cymbal? Nice touch!

Great mix. Everything sounds good - and right in the slot. Nice bass!
Those far-off ooohs are nicely done. The sax solo is about the best I've heard in a rock song (What RT was that???). Terrific guitar solo. It sings!

Good use of the banjo.

Good write (yes, the saxophone line made me laugh every time I played this). Cool video.

Awesome. Delightful. A standing O.

floyd

Hi Floyd.

Seems to be taking me forever to get to do all the replies, sorry.

The main drum track is RD, but the cymbals are a mix of our own samples and some sounds from Edirol Orchestral. There's also some roto-toms in there which are our samples and some more percussion from Forte.

I got an idea for the bass part from an RT, but it wasn't doing everything I wanted, so I put it in live on my old Jazz bass. Listening to the guitar solo, it sounds like I did it on the Les Paul, but in actual fact it's the Tele!

The sax is RT 404: Sax, Tenor, Hip Hop Rock. It took quite a lot of regenerating and comping, but it's amazing to get that quality of solo from software.

The banjo? I thought - If Floyd can put overdrive into country, I can put a banjo into Rock!

Many thanks for the review my old pal.

ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: PLAY GUITAR AND GET RICH (with video) - 11/24/14 08:26 PM
Hey, Everyone.

I feel bad about bumping this thread so much, so can I just say to all those who I haven't got round to replying to, that I really value your reviews and apologise for not commenting individually on your posts.

I was taken by surprise that so many people took the time to make such detailed comments and I want you all to know that getting so much feedback is great - it's really the only way we have of knowing if we're getting it right.

So, many thanks to you all and I'm pleased that our first song with video managed to raise a smile for some of you.

Best regards, Roger.
Posted By: MarioD Re: PLAY GUITAR AND GET RICH (with video) - 11/24/14 10:34 PM

I agree and couldn't have said this any better.

This is a keeper!

Ps - what did you do go back in time and channel my 16 year old brain? I had many of the same dreams!
Very cool Rog...always a great listen!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: PLAY GUITAR AND GET RICH (with video) - 12/14/14 06:20 AM
Hey ROG,

I'm incredibly late getting to this one. The stars haven't been aligning properly for me for most of this year. I'm hoping 2015 will get me back in sync!

As late as I am, I'm really glad that I didn't miss this one. It's great!!!! Video, song, arranging, singing, mixing, all shout 'here's a guy who knows what he's doing!' I'm with Sundance, the "buy a saxophone" line is lyric writing genius.

This was a terrific listen.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: FredM Re: PLAY GUITAR AND GET RICH (with video) - 12/14/14 02:04 PM
And so I get to know this song to.
Great song, slapstick video, great production,,and a lot of fun !!! Can't add much to all the lovely comments.
F
Posted By: Dale M. Re: PLAY GUITAR AND GET RICH (with video) - 12/14/14 08:03 PM
Love it!
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: PLAY GUITAR AND GET RICH (with video) - 12/14/14 08:57 PM
ROG,

I just hope it was half as much fun composing the song and creating the video as it was from this side watching and hearing creative genius at it's best.

Chalk on a blackboard stick figures. Who would ever think they could be so funny?!!
Posted By: RichMac Re: PLAY GUITAR AND GET RICH (with video) - 12/14/14 09:16 PM
Good fun plus --- unique! Cheers.
© PG Music Forums