PG Music Home
Posted By: horsthartung We The People - 11/19/14 04:04 PM
Hello Everyone....

Here's a new one for you....If you've stayed up with current events then you probably know how corrupt our current form of Government is...then you'll love this song.

I wrote it after reading The Declaration of Independence....I just had to put this to music. I play acoustic guitar and Bass and my wife and brother help to sing harmony. I used Real Band 2013 at the time to record it.

Let me know what you think.... Here's the Link: https://soundcloud.com/horst_hartung/we-the-people
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: We The People - 11/19/14 06:11 PM
I like it!! I'm personally kind of a libertarian so I like the sentiments expressed here. Loved the vocals-sweet harmonies and that soulful voice that comes in intermittently! This song has some of the fire found in the songs of the 60's. Cool stuff! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: We The People - 11/20/14 03:00 AM
Good song. Good message.

Charlie
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: We The People - 11/20/14 12:53 PM
Hi Horst
Love the title of this one. "We the people" pulled me in straight away. Loved the backing vocal.
Posted By: RnAM Re: We The People - 11/20/14 01:02 PM
Hi Horst,

An interesting song about something we all worry about. Is there any government that is completely free from corruption?
Nice backing vocals.

Regards,
Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: horsthartung Re: We The People - 11/20/14 01:20 PM
Thank you

Greg Johnson -
Charlie Fogle -
Joanne Cooper -
R & AM -

I'm not part of any party....I'm for truth and honesty which is something very lacking in our Government. Not only do we have corruption in our Government but we also have it in our Bankers, Law Enforcement and Corporations....

Songs like this help educate We The People and help them remember important documents like "The Declaration of Independence" and "The Constitution" and "The Bill of Rights".

But more than that....it makes them stand for something or they will fall for anything...
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: We The People - 11/20/14 01:54 PM
Interesting concept song...

the idea of putting text that isn't specifically crafted as lyrics directly into a song isn't new in itself... it's fairly common in Christian music where passages of scripture are directly incorporated into a song. Handel's MESSIAH is perhaps the best known example of that.

Having said that, it's not as easy to pull of as Handel made it sound. Listening to a complex combination of words can become tedious, even in the context of a song. But as usual, you did a good job of making it work.

I wasn't real crazy about the harmonica, and here's why:
Whether you speak to a particular political party's point of view or not, the fact is that the party system has divided the country... and that division manifests in a variety of recurring ad hominem attacks that are specifically designed to portray the other party in a negative light.

One of those recurring attacks is to suggest that people who think a certain way are just a bunch of ignorant rednecks. Since the harmonica is more associated with bib overalls than tuxedos, I think its use in a politically oriented song biases the view instead of letting the message fall squarely in the middle ground that is where it stands to exercise the most influence. (It *IS* your primary goal to use this song as a tool for making people think, right?) It has been my experience that our highly polarized society encourages knee-jerk withdrawal from debate if there is the slightest reference to any of the hot buttons.

I may be over thinking this. If so, It isn't the first time. ;-)

LOVE your music, brother! I am SO GLAD you joined this forum!

Posted By: horsthartung Re: We The People - 11/20/14 02:15 PM
Hi Pat...

I love reading your reviews....but who am I singing this song to? It's not to the people in Tuxedos....It's people like you and me and even in bib overalls. This is why I put the harmonica in the song. I'm singing to "We The People" all of us...not pointing to any party but looking at problems and suggesting solutions.

I'm trying to educate the young and help the old to remember important documents....and to make a stand.

I will always love you Brother Pat....
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: We The People - 11/20/14 02:50 PM
Originally Posted By: horsthartung
Hi Pat...

I love reading your reviews....but who am I singing this song to? It's not to the people in Tuxedos....It's people like you and me and even in bib overalls. This is why I put the harmonica in the song. I'm singing to "We The People" all of us...not pointing to any party but looking at problems and suggesting solutions.

I'm trying to educate the young and help the old to remember important documents....and to make a stand.

I will always love you Brother Pat....

I thought that you probably included the harmonica to put the song at a very unpretentious and grass roots level. I would probably do the same thing. My point was to illustrate how your good faith approach could still get misconstrued depending on how the listener might choose to hear it.

And.. just to play the role of devil's advocate... people in tuxedos are also our fellow countrymen. Granted, it is very hard to make any kind of political statement without inadvertently drawing a dividing line between one group and another. I like to imagine an approach that focuses on what makes us all alike instead of on what makes us different.

I like the fact that you are a thinking man, and it spills over into your song writing. A head should be more than just a hat rack... and it seems yours is.
Posted By: tommyad Re: We The People - 11/20/14 03:44 PM
Horst, A good message song. It's got that 60's vibe of a protest song. Certainly meaningful in today's context. Nice job on the writing. I liked the BG vocals. Tom
Posted By: Scott C Re: We The People - 11/20/14 05:31 PM
Nice job. Cut my teeth on the kind of songs. Pete Seeger would also be pleased with this song. Well done.. Heard a hint of Kingston Trio, CSNY go on.
Posted By: dani48 Re: We The People - 11/20/14 06:37 PM
Hi, Horst !:))

Nice song indeed !
Liked the harmony vocals
best of all but as a whole
a very good write !!!:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: floyd jane Re: We The People - 11/21/14 01:14 PM
A very interesting write.

The guitars and vocals are well done. The "shouter" in the background was very effective. The drums are fairly "buried" in the mix. The harmonica is distracting (imo) - its blues vibe doesn't fit as well as a more country background harmonica might (or a dobro?)

Good job of getting all of that lyric into the song. It would have been nice to see that posted.

fj
Posted By: horsthartung Re: We The People - 11/21/14 01:28 PM
Sorry for not posting the lyrics.....so here ya go:

Don't know if the chords will line up with the words.....

Maybe I will try something else besides the harmonica....

G A D
We The People need to know,
G A D Bm
The Declaration of Independence tells us so
G A D
Together we will stand, divided we will fall

Bm Em
We need to know we are free, perusing life, love and liberty
Bm Em
Establish justice, insure tranquility
Bm Em
We need to know, there’s a future, there’s a job, there’s Security