PG Music Home
Posted By: tommyad More - 11/20/14 03:15 PM
Every time I write a heartbreak- relationship gone bad song, my wife gets a little upset. So a love song has been long overdue. This one's for you baby! A big thanks to Janice Merritt for her help on the choruses. All suggestions/comments are welcome. Tom

http://tommyadamsmusic.com/music

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12976272

RealTracks in song: 1592:Bass, Electric, Pop16ths Ev 065
RealTracks in style: ~368:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Ev 065
RealTracks in song: ~364:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 2336:Viola, Background, Pop Ev 085 (1TrackStringSection)
RealTracks in song: 1602:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm Pop16 Ev16 065
RealTracks in song: 1595:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Pop8thsSteady Ev 065
RealDrums: RealDrums in Song: NashvilleEven8^1-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

More

Come and sit beside me lets not waste another day

Let me say this with a smile it's easier that way

You don’t seem to notice but we’re better than before

And after every slow kiss I couldn't love you more

My heart shows no resistance I'm a victim of your charms

Throwing my existence right into your arms

They said we’d never make it that we would drift apart

Our love’s as strong as a thousand dreams I knew that from the start

My heart shows no resistance I'm a victim of your charms

Throwing my existence right into your arms

I hate when I repeat myself I’ve told you this before

Even when i tried my best

I couldn't love you more

I couldn't love you more

©2014 Thomas Adams
Posted By: horsthartung Re: More - 11/20/14 03:31 PM
I just love ...love songs.

I would suggest bringing up your vocal and bringing down the harmony in the chorus...She's over powering your vocal.

Great song....
Posted By: tommyad Re: More - 11/20/14 03:47 PM
Horst, You may be right about the volume on Janice's part. It was done intentionally as Janice is singing the melody and I didn't want my harmony to overpower her. Thanks for listening and commenting. I appreciate the feedback. Tom
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: More - 11/20/14 04:14 PM
Nice song. This is a nice production and well written song.

Charlie
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: More - 11/20/14 04:27 PM
awww Man!

I didn't want it to end! And it was chokin' me up!

But now I have to ask the obvious awkward question, Tommy:
If your wife is upset when you write breakup songs...
is she pretty tickled when you write love songs that include another woman singing the chorus to you? Seems kinda like... maybe not? ;-)

anyway, all my foolishness aside...
you had my attention before you even got to the lyrics... and once they kicked in, it shot thru the roof!

That is a very easy to like chord pattern, and it is orchestrated very well... perfect tracks for building the mood you're after. And I really liked the guitar parts you added.. very tasteful stuff!
Posted By: Scott C Re: More - 11/20/14 05:23 PM
Boy these collaborations are done well. Excellent song, lyrics, singing, harmonies, just awesome..

It is amazing how powerful the lyrical content of the songs and story telling can be. I did a personal version of "Hurt" by Nine Inch Nails and then played it for my son. He looked at me wanting to know why I would do such a desperate song. Thought maybe he was going to set up and intervention for me lol...I loved the piece and never really considered the content of the lyrics. It is something when you do a piece of music and it affects the listener that way..
Posted By: tommyad Re: More - 11/20/14 06:14 PM
Originally Posted By: c_fogle
Nice song. This is a nice production and well written song.

Charlie
Thanks Charlie. Glad you came by. Tom
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
awww Man!

I didn't want it to end! And it was chokin' me up!

But now I have to ask the obvious awkward question, Tommy:
If your wife is upset when you write breakup songs...
is she pretty tickled when you write love songs that include another woman singing the chorus to you? Seems kinda like... maybe not? ;-)

anyway, all my foolishness aside...
you had my attention before you even got to the lyrics... and once they kicked in, it shot thru the roof!

That is a very easy to like chord pattern, and it is orchestrated very well... perfect tracks for building the mood you're after. And I really liked the guitar parts you added.. very tasteful stuff!

Pat, the older I get the more I keep my mouth shut around the wife. If I don't it always seems to end badly. After reading your comments I said oh no I've done it again! I just don't know when to leave it alone. I am so glad that you're hanging around these days. Even when you say stupid stuff. See, now
this is what I'm talking about. Ending badly. Thanks for the good part. Tom
Posted By: dani48 Re: More - 11/20/14 06:30 PM
Hi, Tommy and Janice !:))

This must be one of your best
without any doubt !:))
What a beautiful tune so
wonderfully sung and played !:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: More - 11/20/14 10:36 PM
Tom, I couldn't love it more!! I once heard a songwriter say "Everybody writes, and everybody sings, but everybody doesn't tell the truth, and people are moved by the truth". The emotion of the song and the passion in your voice hit with the power of a cannonball wrapped in the softness of rose petals. The vocal is one of my favorites ever, on forum and through my 50 plus years of listening to songs. Absolutely beautiful!! I do agree with Horst that Janice's vocal (perfectly executed by the way) is a bit too overpowering, and I also feel that the drums could be a bit wetter and softer. Nothing should interfere with that vocal! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: More - 11/21/14 08:43 AM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Tom, I couldn't love it more!! I once heard a songwriter say "Everybody writes, and everybody sings, but everybody doesn't tell the truth, and people are moved by the truth". The emotion of the song and the passion in your voice hit with the power of a cannonball wrapped in the softness of rose petals. The vocal is one of my favorites ever, on forum and through my 50 plus years of listening to songs. Absolutely beautiful!!

VERY well stated, Greg! (I totally agree!)
Posted By: Rafa T Re: More - 11/21/14 09:12 AM
Hi Tom, Bonita canción ;-) and tasteful arrangement with the realtracks. I like the emotion on your voice, and very beautiful the Janice part.
Posted By: tommyad Re: More - 11/21/14 10:12 AM
Originally Posted By: Scottt709
Boy these collaborations are done well. Excellent song, lyrics, singing, harmonies, just awesome..

It is amazing how powerful the lyrical content of the songs and story telling can be. I did a personal version of "Hurt" by Nine Inch Nails and then played it for my son. He looked at me wanting to know why I would do such a desperate song. Thought maybe he was going to set up and intervention for me lol...I loved the piece and never really considered the content of the lyrics. It is something when you do a piece of music and it affects the listener that way..

Scott, I love the story of the intervention. Thanks for the kind words. Tom
Posted By: 90 dB Re: More - 11/21/14 10:51 AM
Tommy -

Superb. Love this one.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: boehm Re: More - 11/21/14 11:13 AM
Hi Tommy,

just love it.

Guenter
Posted By: tommyad Re: More - 11/21/14 11:41 AM
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Tommy and Janice !:))

This must be one of your best
without any doubt !:))
What a beautiful tune so
wonderfully sung and played !:))

Cheers
Dani

Thank you Dani. If anyone can appreciate a love song on this forum it would be you. Tom
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Tom, I couldn't love it more!! I once heard a songwriter say "Everybody writes, and everybody sings, but everybody doesn't tell the truth, and people are moved by the truth". The emotion of the song and the passion in your voice hit with the power of a cannonball wrapped in the softness of rose petals. The vocal is one of my favorites ever, on forum and through my 50 plus years of listening to songs. Absolutely beautiful!! I do agree with Horst that Janice's vocal (perfectly executed by the way) is a bit too overpowering, and I also feel that the drums could be a bit wetter and softer. Nothing should interfere with that vocal! Take care. Greg

Greg, Wow I never expected that anyone would be saying these kind of things about my vocals. I have always considered my voice to be the weakest part of my game. Maybe I hit a growth spurt. I actually used your vocals as a guide to the type of sound I wanted to capture. A breathy, bright tone with a lot of presence. This was the scratch vocal and after three tries to improve it I left it as is including some extra noise that I couldn't remove. As i stated earlier Janice's part is the melody- but maybe you guys are right about it being a hair loud. You are definitely right about the drums and when I revisit it i will add reverb and back them down a bit. I really appreciate this kind of feedback from both you and Horst. It helps me to concentrate on making the mix work and to find the happy medium that works for all listeners. Thank you so much for your astounding review. Tom
Posted By: Sundance Re: More - 11/22/14 01:29 AM
This is my new fav of yours. Beautiful song. Love the vocal - you've never sounded better.

My only nit and I rarely nit anything is that I don't like the vocal swap in the chorus with Janice taking lead - nothing against Janice because I love her voice - its disconnecting to the listener who's bonded to your lead vocal by then. I think Greg and Horst are right that she's a tad too loud in the mix however I also think Janice should sing the harmony there with you staying on lead.

Absolutely love the song and production.

Josie
Posted By: tommyad Re: More - 11/22/14 10:51 AM
Originally Posted By: Rafa T
Hi Tom, Bonita canción ;-) and tasteful arrangement with the realtracks. I like the emotion on your voice, and very beautiful the Janice part.

Rafa, Mi amigo, se lo agradezco. Tom
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
Tommy -

Superb. Love this one.

Regards,

Bob

Bob, Thanks for checking in and commenting. Tom
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Tommy,

just love it.

Guenter

Guenter, Glad you made it by for a listen. I appreciate the kind words. Tom
Posted By: floyd jane Re: More - 11/22/14 01:02 PM
Tom!

First of all... what a TERRIFIC opening acoustic lead! Well conceived, well played, well recorded. It's gorgeous. (and a perfect ending lead)

And it blends in perfectly with the RT acoustics - which sound beautiful, as well... whatever you did to them (or if you just left them alone) - they are right where they need to be.

The rest of the production - PERFECT. "Understated" and over-the-top pro quality. It's so good, you don't notice it. You simply listen to the song being sung.

And, OH!, what a vocal! WOW. As good as it gets.

BUT...

The REAL star here is the songwriting. There are very few writers who can do this. Write in a manner that seems "simple" yet packs such incredibly powerful emotion. It is almost indescribable. Danny was like that. At times during writing sessions, I would think that some lines that he wrote were not "crafted enough", but as I looked at them later realized how brilliant they were ("Keeper Of The Stars" is a classic example - he had a "gift"). This is a brilliantly written song. It ought to become a classic. Songwriting does not get better than this.

(it goes without saying that Janice was excellent!)

Perfect songwriting.
Perfect singing.
Perfect production.
Perfect partner.

As good as it gets.

Perfect.

floyd
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: More - 11/22/14 02:04 PM
Quote:
I am so glad that you're hanging around these days. Even when you say stupid stuff.

hahahaha!

Tommy, I wish you lived near me, man... I think we'd be good friends. No, I KNOW we would!

On a slightly different note: your quote above is the best compliment I've had in months. That oughta tell you pretty much all there is to know about the quality of my life. wink
Posted By: gibson Re: More - 11/22/14 02:24 PM
Tom,

Thoroughly enjoyed that.
I know you are lead vocals and she becomes lead vocal but I feel Janice's voice should be lower in the mix so we can hear your harmonies.

Apart from that I have nothing to add except thanks for sharing I really enjoyed that!!
up to your normal high standards!!!

Alyn
Posted By: tommyad Re: More - 11/22/14 08:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Sundance
This is my new fav of yours. Beautiful song. Love the vocal - you've never sounded better.

My only nit and I rarely nit anything is that I don't like the vocal swap in the chorus with Janice taking lead - nothing against Janice because I love her voice - its disconnecting to the listener who's bonded to your lead vocal by then. I think Greg and Horst are right that she's a tad too loud in the mix however I also think Janice should sing the harmony there with you staying on lead.

Absolutely love the song and production.

Josie

I just can't get anything by you! That was the thing that I agonized over. I finally rationalized that the chorus was like a woman and a man singing back to each other. ( The big thing was I couldn't sing the higher melody part with any sort of skill and was required to go to the bench for help ) Consensus has convinced me to revisit it in the future for a remix re Janice's vocal. Your observations always blow me away. You are an important part of my process as I now incorporate a final checklist to include-" What will Sundance find here? " You show a great understanding of all these processes and I appreciate you taking the time to weigh in. Thanks Josie, Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: More - 11/23/14 12:17 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Tom!

First of all... what a TERRIFIC opening acoustic lead! Well conceived, well played, well recorded. It's gorgeous. (and a perfect ending lead)

And it blends in perfectly with the RT acoustics - which sound beautiful, as well... whatever you did to them (or if you just left them alone) - they are right where they need to be.

The rest of the production - PERFECT. "Understated" and over-the-top pro quality. It's so good, you don't notice it. You simply listen to the song being sung.

And, OH!, what a vocal! WOW. As good as it gets.

BUT...

The REAL star here is the songwriting. There are very few writers who can do this. Write in a manner that seems "simple" yet packs such incredibly powerful emotion. It is almost indescribable. Danny was like that. At times during writing sessions, I would think that some lines that he wrote were not "crafted enough", but as I looked at them later realized how brilliant they were ("Keeper Of The Stars" is a classic example - he had a "gift"). This is a brilliantly written song. It ought to become a classic. Songwriting does not get better than this.

(it goes without saying that Janice was excellent!)

Perfect songwriting.
Perfect singing.
Perfect production.
Perfect partner.

As good as it gets.

Perfect.

floyd

floyd, After reading this, I don't deserve to feel this good. Thanks for all your support. Tom
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
Quote:
I am so glad that you're hanging around these days. Even when you say stupid stuff.

hahahaha!

Tommy, I wish you lived near me, man... I think we'd be good friends. No, I KNOW we would!

On a slightly different note: your quote above is the best compliment I've had in months. That oughta tell you pretty much all there is to know about the quality of my life. wink

Pat, To quote the great philosopher, Bugs Bunny " Might as well have a good time cause we ain't gettin out of here alive "
Posted By: RnAM Re: More - 11/23/14 05:43 PM
Beautiful guys!
We love these kinds of ballads (especially Rob whistle).
The mix sounds crispy clear especially the 1595!
Stellar all of it.

Regards,
Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: More - 11/23/14 06:12 PM
Really good stuff coming out of the writers here in recent times...

This is good.

I have a slightly different view of the harmony. I actually like that the female vox is up nice and loud.

Janet sings the lead in that part and you're on harmony and that makes it sound like she's louder. I like that...a freaking lot!

I was expecting to hear Janet take the lead on a verse later.... but alas.... that's not how you worked it out......

After the harmony at 2:25 ended.... I would have gone straight to a short lead/turnaround of a few measures.... then come into the last section and finished it up with Janet joining the harmony on the last line and tag. Essentially just moving the solo to that point at 2:26 or so.... Of course,,,, that's just my opinion....

Loved it.
Posted By: rsdean Re: More - 11/23/14 06:19 PM
Tommy,

Beautiful song and your vocal delivery is just perfect. Loved it.

Bob
Posted By: tommyad Re: More - 11/24/14 10:13 AM
Originally Posted By: gibson
Tom,

Thoroughly enjoyed that.
I know you are lead vocals and she becomes lead vocal but I feel Janice's voice should be lower in the mix so we can hear your harmonies.

Apart from that I have nothing to add except thanks for sharing I really enjoyed that!!
up to your normal high standards!!!

Alyn

Alyn, Thanks for your kind words. You've been very supportive. Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: More - 11/24/14 06:27 PM
Originally Posted By: R & AM
Beautiful guys!
We love these kinds of ballads (especially Rob whistle).
The mix sounds crispy clear especially the 1595!
Stellar all of it.

Regards,
Rob and Anne-Marie

R&AM, Thanks for taking the time to listen and your generous comments. Tom
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Really good stuff coming out of the writers here in recent times...

This is good.

I have a slightly different view of the harmony. I actually like that the female vox is up nice and loud.

Janet sings the lead in that part and you're on harmony and that makes it sound like she's louder. I like that...a freaking lot!

I was expecting to hear Janet take the lead on a verse later.... but alas.... that's not how you worked it out......

After the harmony at 2:25 ended.... I would have gone straight to a short lead/turnaround of a few measures.... then come into the last section and finished it up with Janet joining the harmony on the last line and tag. Essentially just moving the solo to that point at 2:26 or so.... Of course,,,, that's just my opinion....

Loved it.

Herb, I had been playing this on acoustic for a few weeks and when it came time to arrange in BIAB, I never thought of adding a turnaround. I think it is a good idea. Where were you when I was putting this together? Thanks for the input and I think it is a very valid observation. Glad you liked it. Tom
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: More - 11/28/14 02:38 PM
Have to push this one up to the top before it rolls off the first page. If you haven't listened to it, you should! If you have, you should listen again! What a beautiful song and wonderful performance!! Take care. Greg
© PG Music Forums