PG Music Home
Posted By: 90 dB Big Time - 11/20/14 08:44 PM
Going a little Country here with our new best friend, Mr. Brian Nolf.

Just a rough mix.

https://90dbband.bandcamp.com/track/big-time

Big Time
©2014 Robert Randall Burke/BMI

Miller's Pond
Friday night
Pretty girl
Feelin' right
She says no
But she might
Just come around.
Countin' stars from a pickup bed
Lonestar runnin' through my head
Thinkin' bout just what she said
Before I hit the ground.

Sweet magnolia fills the air
It's getting' late but I don't care
Don't gotta be nowhere
But right down here
Gonna have a big time, big time, big time in this small town tonight.

Thinkin' bout dippin' in
Maybe take a little swim
Lord knows it ain't no sin
And it feels so right
No one here but you and me
We'll never be so wild and free
Let's make a memory
In the pale moonlight

It don't matter
What other people say
When you're young and in love
And livin' for today
We're gonna have
A big time in this small town tonight.

Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Big Time - 11/20/14 10:13 PM
I think it's a hit!! Simple, concise lines with BIG TIME impact, catchy melody, and excellent delivery of the song on all fronts. Is the other name you mentioned the singer? Excellent vocals. Is this a co-write or all you? It sounds to me like there's not much work to do on the mix. If I were a publisher, I'd be pulling out a contract. Great work!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Big Time - 11/21/14 12:43 AM
I agree with Greg all the way on this. This song is top notch at every level.

Charlie
Posted By: tommyad Re: Big Time - 11/21/14 01:37 AM
Bob, Top notch commercial potential . A great write. Nice progression in the chorus. Mix is solid. And the vocals are fantastic. Where did you get him? So good to see you writing and posting. Just an excellent job on all fronts. Tom
Posted By: dani48 Re: Big Time - 11/21/14 07:31 AM
Hi, Bob !:))

This is a BIG TIME HIT !:))

Absolutely super, must be
one of your best if not
the best !!!!!:))
I enjoyed this tune and
the performance truly much

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Big Time - 11/21/14 08:40 AM
+1 !

Bob, this is a totally pro sounding production! I'm in awe... every single aspect of the song screams quality!

Have you played this live yet? I'm curious to hear how it goes over with audiences. Do they get up and dance? Hoot and holler at the end? Lots of applause? I can say with certainty that if I were in the audience, I would be shaking your hand as soon as you took a break! Totally fun and enjoyable number, full of things that a lot of people could identify with.

You are indeed the consummate music pro!
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Big Time - 11/21/14 10:33 AM
One listen.... without a doubt the best I've heard from you. I'm curious if this is a co-write as well....

This is also one of the more commercially viable songs I've heard on this forum. There's lots of good songs, but a good song isn't necessarily equivalent to a commercial song.

My advice for this one is brush up the mix, you said it's a rough mix and I agree... make it sparkle.....use some basic but nice production, don't overdo it (less is more, just let the song speak for itself) .... then get this into the hands of some folks in Nashville who can help you..... That last part is the hardest part.

Excellent writing job.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Big Time - 11/21/14 10:42 AM
It definitely has the feel of what I hear
when I check in on contemporary
country radio. And lyrically it exceeds
by far what I typically hear. Definitely,
and interesting and enjoyable surprise
from you.

J&B
Posted By: boehm Re: Big Time - 11/21/14 11:39 AM
Hi Bob,
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Top notch commercial potential . A great write. Nice progression in the chorus. Mix is solid. And the vocals are fantastic. Where did you get him?

+1 from me.

Guenter
Posted By: horsthartung Re: Big Time - 11/21/14 01:40 PM
I have to agree with everyone else who's already posted....This is a top notch production and finely written song.

Just one question?....why isn't there a lead or solo part in this country? I think if it were to go commercial...it would need that...
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Big Time - 11/21/14 02:04 PM
Originally Posted By: horsthartung
I have to agree with everyone else who's already posted....This is a top notch production and finely written song.

Just one question?....why isn't there a lead or solo part in this country? I think if it were to go commercial...it would need that...

listening again.....

Actually no. For demo's to Nashville the advice I got was "no one wants to hear your guitar playing.... just play the song".... As a guitarist I naturally want to put a sweet long solo in every song but I hold back on songs that I plan to pitch to publishers and artists.

Now..... whatever the artist decides to do with it once they start recording is totally up to them and their producer...they will decide if the song gets a solo or not.

Going back a bit.....Actually, the intro is a bit too long.... it should probably be edited to half that length..... for Nashville demo's 13 seconds is max.... this one goes 19.... I would edit it to start at the 9 second point... that gives a 10 sec intro.

In and done with the chorus before 60 seconds and a real cool hook with the repeated Big Time.... total run time under 3 minutes..... what's not to like about this?
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Big Time - 11/21/14 02:08 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
I think it's a hit!! Simple, concise lines with BIG TIME impact, catchy melody, and excellent delivery of the song on all fronts. Is the other name you mentioned the singer? Excellent vocals. Is this a co-write or all you? It sounds to me like there's not much work to do on the mix. If I were a publisher, I'd be pulling out a contract. Great work!! Take care. Greg

Greg-

Thanks for the kind words. The singer is Brian Nolf, a demo singer from Nashville. He is extraordinary. The song is not a co-write. I'm guilty for the whole thing. grin

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Big Time - 11/21/14 02:09 PM
Originally Posted By: c_fogle
I agree with Greg all the way on this. This song is top notch at every level.

Charlie

Charlie -

Thanks.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Big Time - 11/21/14 02:10 PM
Bob, Top notch commercial potential . A great write. Nice progression in the chorus. Mix is solid. And the vocals are fantastic. Where did you get him? So good to see you writing and posting. Just an excellent job on all fronts. Tom

Tommy -

Thanks. The singer is Brian Nolf. I found him through Demosinger.com.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Big Time - 11/21/14 02:12 PM
Dani - Thanks.

Pat -

We haven't played it at all yet. I just finished it this week.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Big Time - 11/21/14 02:15 PM
J & B – Thanks for listening.

Guenter – Thanks

Horst – Thanks for the kind remarks. This is just a song demo, and as such, usually doesn't have a solo.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Big Time - 11/21/14 02:16 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Originally Posted By: horsthartung

listening again.....

Actually no. For demo's to Nashville the advice I got was "no one wants to hear your guitar playing.... just play the song".... As a guitarist I naturally want to put a sweet long solo in every song but I hold back on songs that I plan to pitch to publishers and artists.

Now..... whatever the artist decides to do with it once they start recording is totally up to them and their producer...they will decide if the song gets a solo or not.

Going back a bit.....Actually, the intro is a bit too long.... it should probably be edited to half that length..... for Nashville demo's 13 seconds is max.... this one goes 19.... I would edit it to start at the 9 second point... that gives a 10 sec intro.

In and done with the chorus before 60 seconds and a real cool hook with the repeated Big Time.... total run time under 3 minutes..... what's not to like about this?

Herb,

Thanks for listening, but the song is being pitched as is.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Big Time - 11/21/14 03:13 PM
Bob,

"It don't matter
What other people say
And livin' for today"

Words to live by. smile
You ol' romantic, you!

A fun song. Your singer sounds like Bryan White.
The chorus melody and harmonies are sweeeeeet.
Cool hook line.

"Big Time, Big Time, Big Time..."

That's hard to get outta your head!

see?...

fj
Posted By: Sundance Re: Big Time - 11/21/14 11:14 PM
Terrific song Bob! And Brian really sells it.

I did miss a few more guitar RIFFS (not a solo) in there besides just the start and end but that in no way reflects on the song.

One of the best written country songs I've heard on here.

Love it.

Josie
Posted By: Al-David Re: Big Time - 11/22/14 12:18 AM
Hi Bob ...

tghe key word has already been said ... commercial! And like Herb said, there are many terrific songs on the boards here ... but the commercial aspect isn't what all them are working for. Some just want to write a damned good song ... and they do ... but this one is about as commercial as anything I've heard on the boards in the almost-year we've been here.

Congrats on a great write and nice mic. You demo guy did you good. Whatever you paid him, you got more than your money's worth, I would speculate.

As soon as the vocal kicked in and we hears a couple of lines, Di and I looked at each other and said "If Nashville doesn't like this, their heads are far beyond where the sun doesn't shine!"

Standing "O" from the two of us .... still clapping!

Alan & Di
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Big Time - 11/22/14 07:04 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Bob,

"It don't matter
What other people say
And livin' for today"

Words to live by. smile
You ol' romantic, you!

A fun song. Your singer sounds like Bryan White.
The chorus melody and harmonies are sweeeeeet.
Cool hook line.

That's hard to get outta your head!

see?...

fj

fj-

Thanks. I really love Brian's voice. He's played with some top people - he was in Marty Stuart's band, and has worked with Pam Tillis, Dolly, and a bunch of others. He really brought the song to life.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Big Time - 11/22/14 07:07 AM
Originally Posted By: Sundance
Terrific song Bob! And Brian really sells it.

I did miss a few more guitar RIFFS (not a solo) in there besides just the start and end but that in no way reflects on the song.

One of the best written country songs I've heard on here.

Love it.

Josie

Josie,

Thanks for the kind words. I had intended to pepper some guitar fills in there, but I'm not as adept at BIAB/RB as some, and I finally gave up. grin

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Big Time - 11/22/14 07:12 AM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Bob ...

tghe key word has already been said ... commercial! And like Herb said, there are many terrific songs on the boards here ... but the commercial aspect isn't what all them are working for. Some just want to write a damned good song ... and they do ... but this one is about as commercial as anything I've heard on the boards in the almost-year we've been here.

Congrats on a great write and nice mic. You demo guy did you good. Whatever you paid him, you got more than your money's worth, I would speculate.

As soon as the vocal kicked in and we hears a couple of lines, Di and I looked at each other and said "If Nashville doesn't like this, their heads are far beyond where the sun doesn't shine!"

Standing "O" from the two of us .... still clapping!

Alan & Di

Alan & Di,

Thanks for listening and the nice remarks. We're hoping it's commercial as well. wink

Getting a cut on an outside song is next to impossible, so we might have to go to town and start singing it on the streets. In the Springtime, of course! grin

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Big Time - 11/22/14 10:34 AM
Originally Posted By: 90 dB

Herb,

Thanks for listening, but the song is being pitched as is.

Regards,

Bob

I wish you all the best with this... Great song.
Posted By: gibson Re: Big Time - 11/22/14 02:11 PM
Bob,
Who is playing the guitar at the beginning.

What a voice, Brian, and then the harmonies.
This sounds real good loudish!!

thoroughly enjoyed

Alyn
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Big Time - 11/23/14 07:25 AM
Herb -

Thanks. It's making the rounds.

Alyn-

Thanks. Yeah, Brian is brilliant. The guitar in the intro is good Old Brent Mason.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Big Time - 11/24/14 02:07 PM
Per several suggestions, I remixed this song this morning and added some fills. Nothing I can do about the intro unless I cut it really short.

Thanks to all for the suggestions to improve this.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Big Time - 03/11/15 09:01 PM
So I've been listening to a bunch of the user showcase songs and wanted to say I think this is a stand out. I get the thread is a few months old, but I don't feel it doesn't deserve praise just because of that!

Great job all the way around.

Of course there are some things that could be tweaked, but show me a song on here that isn't that way.

Now for my question....what ever happened with this? Anything? I think there is some pretty good potential here!

If you want critique, let me know. I don't like just throwing it out there unless asked for. smile All for good of course!
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Big Time - 03/12/15 08:16 AM
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
So I've been listening to a bunch of the user showcase songs and wanted to say I think this is a stand out. I get the thread is a few months old, but I don't feel it doesn't deserve praise just because of that!

Great job all the way around.

Of course there are some things that could be tweaked, but show me a song on here that isn't that way.

Now for my question....what ever happened with this? Anything? I think there is some pretty good potential here!

If you want critique, let me know. I don't like just throwing it out there unless asked for. smile All for good of course!

Thanks for the kind remarks.

The song is making the rounds in Nashville in search of a publisher, and has received generally favorable reviews. It did make the “Ones To Watch” list in January on the N.S.A.I. “E.A.R.S' report, and I got a personal critique from Bart Herbison, the Executive Director of NSAI.

I received a lot of valid suggestions, and am aware that it could be greatly improved, but I feel that as a simple song demo it is adequate.

If nothing happens with the song, we will still be performing it on the 2015 90 dB Dive Bar World Tour, where it will be heard by tens of people. grin

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Big Time - 03/12/15 09:07 AM
Wow! That's GREAT news! I am all around impressed by your writing. It's very similar to what I am trying to do. I'm excited to hopefully post a few things for the forum's review.

Would you mind keeping us update when you hear anything? I am always curious the process AFTER the song is written as I am about the writing.

Do you have any more explanation of the song itself? Whey you chose what you did to go here or there?

Also, the lyric writing is pretty awesome, I must say! Your use of internal chime is truly first rate!

Now...

Quote:
If nothing happens with the song, we will still be performing it on the 2015 90 dB Dive Bar World Tour, where it will be heard by tens of people.

You've hear the expression lol/laugh out loud...I actually did!

Thanks my friend!
Posted By: FredM Re: Big Time - 03/12/15 11:47 AM
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Bob,
Top notch commercial potential . A great write. Nice progression in the chorus. Mix is solid. And the vocals are fantastic. Where did you get him?

+1 from me.

Guenter

What can I add???

This is so professional, catches on from the first notes!
Just the right Mix, and then I hope it hits big time smile

Fred
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Big Time - 03/12/15 06:57 PM
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
Wow! That's GREAT news! I am all around impressed by your writing. It's very similar to what I am trying to do. I'm excited to hopefully post a few things for the forum's review.

Would you mind keeping us update when you hear anything? I am always curious the process AFTER the song is written as I am about the writing.

Do you have any more explanation of the song itself? Whey you chose what you did to go here or there?

Also, the lyric writing is pretty awesome, I must say! Your use of internal chime is truly first rate!

Now...

Quote:
If nothing happens with the song, we will still be performing it on the 2015 90 dB Dive Bar World Tour, where it will be heard by tens of people.

You've hear the expression lol/laugh out loud...I actually did!

Thanks my friend!

Thanks for the kind words. If anybody picks the song up, I'll let you know. I will spare you the rejections. grin

The song itself:

I set out to write the most commercial piece of &^$! I could, and BIAB allowed me to approximate that. laugh

After the song is written:

You start pitching it to everybody with a pulse, have tons of people tell you how to re-write it, or pitch their songs to you, etc. Then, if you're lucky, someone contacts you and offers to sign the song, then sends you a contract that puts your attorney in hysterics of laughter.

It's quite fun, actually. grin

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Big Time - 03/12/15 06:58 PM
Originally Posted By: FredM
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Bob,

+1 from me.

Guenter

What can I add???

This is so professional, catches on from the first notes!
Just the right Mix, and then I hope it hits big time smile

Fred

Fred -

Thanks for the kind words and good wishes.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: RichMac Re: Big Time - 03/12/15 09:01 PM
Sounds so smooth Bob. Could listen to it anytime.
Hope it gets the attention it deserves. Cheers.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Big Time - 03/13/15 07:39 AM
Originally Posted By: RichMac
Sounds so smooth Bob. Could listen to it anytime.
Hope it gets the attention it deserves. Cheers.

Thanks for the kind remarks Richard.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Big Time - 03/13/15 08:22 AM

After the song is written:

You start pitching it to everybody with a pulse, have tons of people tell you how to re-write it, or pitch their songs to you, etc. Then, if you're lucky, someone contacts you and offers to sign the song, then sends you a contract that puts your attorney in hysterics of laughter.

It's quite fun, actually. grin

You left out the best part... after you sign the song..... you wait............then you wait some more.......

I'd be curious to know what Bart said.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Big Time - 03/13/15 09:15 AM
Bart liked the song, but suggested some major changes. Like cutting the steel guitar and dobro. Problem is, there isn't any steel guitar or dobro on the recording. grin
Posted By: musiclover Re: Big Time - 03/13/15 09:43 AM
Great Song Bob, I love everything about this and the vocalist sure does the song justice. Great lyrics and good melody line, and the mix is good too.

I sure hope that somebody picks up on it for you.

Musiclover
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Big Time - 03/13/15 02:32 PM
Bart liked the song, but suggested some major changes. Like cutting the steel guitar and dobro. Problem is, there isn't any steel guitar or dobro on the recording. grin

WOW.... I literally laughed out loud....I've always been suspicious of those so-called hit writers who work at NSAI and the other services offered in this business....and the advice they give.... one says up, the next one says down.....the next one says white, the next one says black.... You have to wonder sometimes did they even listen to the song. It's pretty obvious there's no dobro or steel in that. As you recall, the only comments I had was to add some polish and shorten the intro.... the song was mighty fine..... mighty fine.

Bob....Was that a one on one mentor or a basic review?

I did a one on one mentoring with RC Bannon on a song when he was the president out there.... We discussed 2 songs and he was telling me MAJOR changes and re-writes were needed on the first two.... structural stuff...lyrical stuff...... then with about 12 minutes remaining in the 1 on 1, I asked him to review one more song quickly. After he listened, unlike the first two, he appeared to really like the song and suggested a few changes.... the main one being get another singer who can "sell the song convincingly"... and so I did. Made a few of the other changes.... minor things that he suggested like cut the solo out and do a simple quick turnaround back to the chorus, and sent it back in. The only problem was....well, RC wasn't on the list of reviewers.... he did mentoring but not reviews. So it was a tossup.... I picked a country song reviewer and sent it in with some basic info on what RC had suggested and what I did....

I was expecting a decent review and perhaps a recommendation....at least a "ones to watch" posting..... nope... I'm glad I didn't make a bet on that.... because this new review tore that song a new one.... up one side and down the other....I've gotten better reviews from rough first drafts than I did from that polished up and re-worked song....

FYI the song in question I'm referring to is Come & Go (Rose Version)

Kinda makes you just want to throw your hands up and pull your hair out from the pure frustration
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Big Time - 03/13/15 02:53 PM
Bob,
Well done. Very enjoyable. Great BGVs.
SD
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Big Time - 03/14/15 07:49 AM
Originally Posted By: musiclover
Great Song Bob, I love everything about this and the vocalist sure does the song justice. Great lyrics and good melody line, and the mix is good too.

I sure hope that somebody picks up on it for you.

Musiclover

Thanks for the kind remarks. Appreciate it.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Big Time - 03/14/15 08:43 AM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

WOW.... I literally laughed out loud....I've always been suspicious of those so-called hit writers who work at NSAI and the other services offered in this business....and the advice they give.... one says up, the next one says down.....the next one says white, the next one says black.... You have to wonder sometimes did they even listen to the song. It's pretty obvious there's no dobro or steel in that. As you recall, the only comments I had was to add some polish and shorten the intro.... the song was mighty fine..... mighty fine.

Bob....Was that a one on one mentor or a basic review?

I did a one on one mentoring with RC Bannon on a song when he was the president out there.... We discussed 2 songs and he was telling me MAJOR changes and re-writes were needed on the first two.... structural stuff...lyrical stuff...... then with about 12 minutes remaining in the 1 on 1, I asked him to review one more song quickly. After he listened, unlike the first two, he appeared to really like the song and suggested a few changes.... the main one being get another singer who can "sell the song convincingly"... and so I did. Made a few of the other changes.... minor things that he suggested like cut the solo out and do a simple quick turnaround back to the chorus, and sent it back in. The only problem was....well, RC wasn't on the list of reviewers.... he did mentoring but not reviews. So it was a tossup.... I picked a country song reviewer and sent it in with some basic info on what RC had suggested and what I did....

I was expecting a decent review and perhaps a recommendation....at least a "ones to watch" posting..... nope... I'm glad I didn't make a bet on that.... because this new review tore that song a new one.... up one side and down the other....I've gotten better reviews from rough first drafts than I did from that polished up and re-worked song....

FYI the song in question I'm referring to is Come & Go (Rose Version)

Kinda makes you just want to throw your hands up and pull your hair out from the pure frustration

“Bob....Was that a one on one mentor or a basic review?”

It was a response to my complaint about a horrible “Pitch To Publisher”, when the “publisher” (actually a gum-chewing, baseball cap-wearing, word-slurring, knuckle-dragging Millennial cretin with 0 credits to his name) grin had
given the song short shrift.

After my complaint, I got a response from Bart. Obviously, he either didn't listen to the song, or the underling who did the “critique” for him can't tell a Telecaster from a pedal steel. laugh

NSAI is not in the music business. They are in what I call the “Music Business Business”. It is what it is.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Big Time - 03/14/15 08:44 AM
Originally Posted By: SpaceDog
Bob,
Well done. Very enjoyable. Great BGVs.
SD

Thanks SD.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: gruverider Re: Big Time - 03/14/15 11:51 AM
Well done! Love the chorus hook. And the mix and instruments are spot on.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Big Time - 03/15/15 08:57 AM
Originally Posted By: gruverider
Well done! Love the chorus hook. And the mix and instruments are spot on.

Lawrence,

Thanks for listening and the kind words.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: ROG Re: Big Time - 03/15/15 03:15 PM
Hi Bob.

I'm weighing in late as usual and of course it's all been said...

but for what it's worth I thought it was brilliant.

Plus what everyone else said.

ROG.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Big Time - 03/15/15 10:20 PM
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Bob.

I'm weighing in late as usual and of course it's all been said...

but for what it's worth I thought it was brilliant.

Plus what everyone else said.

ROG.

Thanks Professor. Appreciate the listen.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: gibson Re: Big Time - 03/16/15 04:14 AM
Bob,

Just thought I would comment again to this megalith type post

Quote:
Gonna have a big time, big time, big time in this small town tonight.

Quote:
The song is making the rounds in Nashville in search of a publisher, and has received generally favorable reviews. It did make the “Ones To Watch” list in January on the N.S.A.I. “E.A.R.S' report, and I got a personal critique from Bart Herbison, the Executive Director of NSAI.

I received a lot of valid suggestions, and am aware that it could be greatly improved, but I feel that as a simple song demo it is adequate.

If nothing happens with the song, we will still be performing it on the 2015 90 dB Dive Bar World Tour, where it will be heard by tens of people. grin

Hmmmm Sounds just as good on the 2nd listen so maybe it is I that could borrow $ 73.78 USD ( at the current exchange rates) grin

Good luck with the song

Alyn
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Big Time - 03/16/15 01:00 PM
Thanks Alyn.

If I had $ 73.78 USD, we wouldn't be on the 2015 90 dB Dive Bar World Tour! We'd be in Key west getting legless. grin
Posted By: gibson Re: Big Time - 03/16/15 02:09 PM
Quote:
We'd be in Key west getting legless. grin

NOW that sounds a plan!! grin laugh

Alyn
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Big Time - 03/16/15 02:16 PM
Originally Posted By: gibson
Quote:
We'd be in Key west getting legless. grin

NOW that sounds a plan!! grin laugh

Alyn

We'll be right here:

http://sloppyjoes.com/
Posted By: davidgitar Re: Big Time - 03/18/15 01:41 AM
Bob,

I'll try not to rehash what's already been said but won't make any promises. wink I've been away from the boards for a few weeks and then hear this as the first song coming back..

To put it mildly, I was gobsmacked.

To understand how big of a statement that is, consider this: I've been a guitarist for well over 4 decades and have invested TONS of time and thousands of dollars on music gear. I've learned and play several styles fluently. As many excellent contributing members on the forum do, I recognize a strong production when the sound hits the ear canal. In other words, "When you've heard it all, it's hard to be this impressed with anything".

Unless the piece really delivers the goods, of course. This song has it in spades.

I enjoy listening to, and playing a tasteful guitar part based on the needs of a song as much as the next six-slinger. However, the songwriting, production and vocal performance on this number were so good that I didn't even MISS it. It really didn't matter. This is huge because I'm always zeroing in on everything that is going on (or not going on) musically speaking. I've listened to a good many Nashville demos back in the day and this tune is as good as any I've heard, then or now. You've done a really nice job at capturing a contemporary country feel to the song.

Best wishes to you and your efforts pitching it.. I know as a seasoned musician, I was enjoying the whole vibe going on with it. I believe if it gets to the right artist, you have a great chance at getting a few more than tens of fans. laugh

David
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Big Time - 03/18/15 09:31 AM
Originally Posted By: davidgitar
Bob,

I'll try not to rehash what's already been said but won't make any promises. wink I've been away from the boards for a few weeks and then hear this as the first song coming back..

To put it mildly, I was gobsmacked.

To understand how big of a statement that is, consider this: I've been a guitarist for well over 4 decades and have invested TONS of time and thousands of dollars on music gear. I've learned and play several styles fluently. As many excellent contributing members on the forum do, I recognize a strong production when the sound hits the ear canal. In other words, "When you've heard it all, it's hard to be this impressed with anything".

Unless the piece really delivers the goods, of course. This song has it in spades.

I enjoy listening to, and playing a tasteful guitar part based on the needs of a song as much as the next six-slinger. However, the songwriting, production and vocal performance on this number were so good that I didn't even MISS it. It really didn't matter. This is huge because I'm always zeroing in on everything that is going on (or not going on) musically speaking. I've listened to a good many Nashville demos back in the day and this tune is as good as any I've heard, then or now. You've done a really nice job at capturing a contemporary country feel to the song.

Best wishes to you and your efforts pitching it.. I know as a seasoned musician, I was enjoying the whole vibe going on with it. I believe if it gets to the right artist, you have a great chance at getting a few more than tens of fans. laugh

David

David,

Thanks for the kind remarks and good wishes. I can take credit for the song, lyrics and arrangement - BUT:

BIAB provided the players to bring it to life, and Brian Nolf (the singer) added the magic that only a seasoned pro can. Without those two entities, it would just be a little country folk song.

The pitching continues apace. I pitched it to a lady in the frozen food aisle in the supermarket yesterday. She wasn't interested. grin

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: davidgitar Re: Big Time - 03/22/15 10:24 PM
I agree, Bob. Points well taken. The song is a prime example of what is possible with the current incarnation of BIAB and/or RT and a pro singer (and a quality ear for arrangement as well as mix).

Regards,
David
© PG Music Forums