PG Music Home
Posted By: SpaceDog Our Love - 11/20/14 11:21 PM
Dear Forum Friends,
Here's one from the old catalog. I wrote this song in 1978 with my friend Frank (see "Is This What Faith Got Me?). I fixed a few problems with the music and updated the lyrics. I was only 16 when we originally wrote it.

Here the link: http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=12976731&q=hi&newref=1

I'll post on SoundCloud soon.

I hope you enjoy listening. Here are the technicals:

Style is _SJAZZBL.STY (Smooth Jazz Ballad (65 RS))

RT 1072 Guitar, Electric Rhythm Smooth jazz
RealTracks in style: 908:Bass, Electric, SmoothBallad Ev16 065
RealDrums in style: SmoothJazzBallad^1-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

SpaceDog
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Our Love - 11/21/14 12:33 AM
SpaceDog, I really like this song. Good production and well written. This is reminiscent of a lot of the soft rock songs of the late 60's and early 70's. A favorite period of mine. I easily connected with the song. Thanks for posting.

Charlie
Posted By: dani48 Re: Our Love - 11/21/14 07:28 AM
Hi, SD !

This is one of your best !:))
Superbly performed and the
mix sounds great to me !
I really enjoyed this one SD !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: tommyad Re: Our Love - 11/21/14 10:09 AM
SD, I like the chord progression. Love the elec piano. Very good vocals. I enjoyed it. Tom
Posted By: boehm Re: Our Love - 11/21/14 11:46 AM
Hi Spacedog,

a nice reminiscence of the good old times.
I like that break at 2:07.

Guenter
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Our Love - 11/21/14 01:56 PM
Nicely done, SD. One of your best!

The e. piano is especially nice. The vocals are well recorded. And a good mix.

A beautiful melody, too...

fj
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Our Love - 11/21/14 04:44 PM
Hard to believe you wrote this at such a young age! Lyrics are simple but there's a very nice honesty to them. I did the music! As others have said, the EP is great. Is that a sampled Wurly? I love that sound. Great job!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: RnAM Re: Our Love - 11/21/14 06:01 PM
Hello Spacedog,

a very sweet song!
Like the arrangement a lot. One of your best so far I think.

regards,
Rob
Posted By: Al-David Re: Our Love - 11/22/14 12:48 AM
Originally Posted By: R & AM
Hello Spacedog,

a very sweet song!

regards,
Rob

HI SD,

Yeah, what Rob & Anne-Marie said. This is real pretty. We loved the mellow sound ... the dreamy guitar and electric piano worked great together. We totally enjoyed it!

I wrote my (Alan) first song in 1978, too. It's called "Nothing left To Say Except Goodbye." Listening to this makes me think about updating it with BIAB.

Best to ya, my friend ...

Alan & Di
Posted By: Sundance Re: Our Love - 11/22/14 01:01 AM
Originally Posted By: R & AM
Hello Spacedog,

a very sweet song!

regards,
Rob

+1

Great to see you getting into the RT's SD.

Josie
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Our Love - 11/22/14 02:03 AM
Everyone, Thanks for listening and commenting. I'm so glad you liked it. I've been told my replies are a bit repititious so I wanted to say that up front everyone. I really appreciate your support.

Charlie,
Thanks. We were really into Elton John back when we wrote this. Reminds me of "Your Song" a bit.

Dani,
Thanks. I've been working on my mixing skills. Glad you liked it.

Tommy,
Thaks for the kind comments especially about the vocals.

Guenter,
I appreciate your comment about the break. It's essentailly the intro but I added a reverse cymbal and hit it with a flanger effect. I hoped it would set up the next lyric "Do you remember.." pretty well.

Floyd,
Thanks. It was the melody the made it imperative to revive this old tune. I appreciate you comment on the EP. The RealStyle had a nice EP track so I recorded my own track and mimmicked the sound of the RT.

Greg,
Thanks. There were some nice things from my original set of songs. Regarding the EP, it's the midi patch from the Sample Tank for BB then I converted it audio and I EQ'd it a bit. Not sure what they sampled.

Rob Anne-Marie'
Thanks, I agree it's a very sweet melody and music. Frank was mainly responsible for writing the music. I couldn't let it slip away.

Alan & Di,
Thanks. Glad you liked it. I hope you decide to revive your old tune. The process really sends you back in time. Take care!

Jose,
Thanks. There's so much at your fingertips with RTs and BB. I think the biggest challenge is selection and arrangement. It's all so good.
Good hearing from you!

Thanks again everyone

SpaceDog
Posted By: gibson Re: Our Love - 11/22/14 01:58 PM
Spacedog,

What a song to write at 16!! I too wrote my 1st song at 16....must dig it out.

I would have LOVED to have heard the first version, the one you and Frank wrote.

Everything about the production was excellent.

I am enjoying your songs

Alyn
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Our Love - 11/22/14 06:05 PM
Nice! We also liked the piano
and you sang it very well.

The arrangement and the
production are super supportive
of the lyric and your vocal.

J&B
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Our Love - 11/23/14 06:26 PM
Alyn,
Thank you kindly. It means a lot to me that you like my music. Really.
I highly encourage you to dust off your old stuff. You may find some long forgotten feelings or truths lost to time and toil. You may also find a lot of junk, like I did, but it's worth the effort.
I don't have any recordings of "Our Love" from back then. We only had a mono cassette recorder. I do have an initial version with just a piano comp. I'll put it on my SoundCloud page and post the link later tonight.

https://soundcloud.com/dcspacedog/our-love-piano-comp

Thanks for listening!
SD

Janice and Bud,
I'm glad you liked it. I really appreciate your comment on the vocals. I'm confident with the lead vocals but the BGVs are always a challange for me. Not enough experience singing back up.

SD
Posted By: rsdean Re: Our Love - 11/23/14 06:28 PM
SpaceDog,

I really enjoyed this one. Excellent job.

Bob
© PG Music Forums