PG Music Home
Posted By: royg1707 A new Original Song 'Shining Light' - 11/23/14 09:10 AM
https://www.dropbox.com/s/idqip4cgbwnz13j/ShiningLightMp3.mp3?dl=0
https://soundcloud.com/royg1707/shininglight

Shining Light Lyrics.

Verse 1

Your a lone star, out on the horizon, shining your light through the dark clouds
All the fires burn, out on the horizon, burning so bright through the dark night.

Verse 2

Sometimes the sun shines over the horizon, warming the day until the day fades
Then the fires burn out on the horizon shining so bright through the dark night.

Chorus

Shining light, your a shining light, shining your light on this dark night.

BinB Instruments

Guitar Lead ... Electric soloist Pop Power.
Guitar 1 .... Electric Strumming Dirty Open.
Guitar 2 .... Electric Rhythm Pop Shining Gritty.
Drums ... Piano .... Bass ... All Praise and worship.

There's a lot to like here and I liked it all. This is well written, arranged and produced. Nice vocals and harmonies that fit well in the mix for me. Thanks for posting and I look forward to hearing more from you soon.

Charlie
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A new Original Song 'Shining Light' - 11/23/14 10:39 AM
roy,

I would suggest looking for a different method of delivery.

Dropbox is asking that I sign in to get to the file - which would then be a download.

I don't care to create a Dropbox account. (Don't really want to have to download to my computer to hear songs, either...)

fj
Posted By: royg1707 Re: A new Original Song 'Shining Light' - 11/23/14 03:45 PM
OK I will post on Soundcloud later.
Posted By: royg1707 Re: A new Original Song 'Shining Light' - 11/24/14 10:09 AM
Soundcloud Link now added.
Posted By: royg1707 Re: A new Original Song 'Shining Light' - 11/24/14 10:10 AM
Thanks for listening and the nice comments.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A new Original Song 'Shining Light' - 11/24/14 10:40 AM
roy,

Nicely done. A good write - short, simple and effective. Good production and a good mix.

The vocals are nice. The harmonies are very cool. What did you use to produce those? (they sound too tight to be sung... way cool if they are...)

A very enjoyable listen.

fj
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: A new Original Song 'Shining Light' - 11/24/14 12:34 PM
Nice arrangement and harmonies.

Enjoyed the listen.

J&B
Posted By: tommyad Re: A new Original Song 'Shining Light' - 11/24/14 12:52 PM
This is really good. Love the arrangement with just the drums and voice at the end. Guitar lead fits nicely. The vocals are outstanding. Great harmony singing. I enjoyed it immensely. Tom
Posted By: royg1707 Re: A new Original Song 'Shining Light' - 11/24/14 02:42 PM
Thanks again, I use Cubase to finish, it has Vari Audio which is a harmony plug in.
Posted By: royg1707 Re: A new Original Song 'Shining Light' - 11/24/14 02:43 PM
Thank you, glad you enjoyed it.
Posted By: royg1707 Re: A new Original Song 'Shining Light' - 11/24/14 02:47 PM
Thanks, the haromnies are made with Cubase Vari Audio, which is a Harmony Plug In.
I had a listen to your song on Facebook (BinB), lovely country feel and nice lyric, also enjoyed your harmonies.
Posted By: boehm Re: A new Original Song 'Shining Light' - 11/24/14 02:52 PM
Hi Roy,

nice song. The harmonies really sound good.

Guenter
Posted By: gibson Re: A new Original Song 'Shining Light' - 11/24/14 03:46 PM
Roy,

That is excellent.
Production, lead vocals, backing vocals.

Absolutely beautiful ending.

I look forward to more

Alyn
Posted By: dani48 Re: A new Original Song 'Shining Light' - 11/24/14 06:31 PM
Hi, Roy !:))

What wonderful vocals !!!!!
I loved it everything about
the production, but your vocals
are just stellar !!!:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: royg1707 Re: A new Original Song 'Shining Light' - 11/25/14 04:10 AM
Thank you, I use Cubase for mixing, that is really good for getting the sound you want. Thanks again for the comments.
Posted By: royg1707 Re: A new Original Song 'Shining Light' - 11/25/14 04:14 AM
Thank you for your comments. I had a listen to Pleasant Anticipation, very nice, and quite jazzy. Thanks again.
Posted By: royg1707 Re: A new Original Song 'Shining Light' - 11/25/14 04:19 AM
Thank you for taking the time to listen, just purchased a new microphone, a Rode, which really helps with the vocals.
Thanks again.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: A new Original Song 'Shining Light' - 11/25/14 11:24 AM
Nice song.

Really nice work. That new Rode is getting the job done. I also have a nice Rode in my studio.... well worth the cost for the result it gives. Nice clean vocals. I use mine on vox and acoustic instruments. I have also mic'd my amp with it.

The chorus is catchy as heck. Loved the harmony on the bridge. Nice guitar playing too on the solo if that was live. (just looked back and it's a BB track...really nice) The vocal harmony on the last chorus as the music stops.... really nice. Nice production chops. All around thumbs up.

Now.... my nits with this....

Trying to figure if it's an inspirational/religious kind of song or about something else..... or someone else. Having the lyrics missing doesn't help. What I could hear was a bit cryptic to my understanding of the subject matter. A listener should generally come away from the song understanding it..... unless it's a Beatles song about Walruses, plasticene people and such things.....koo koo ka choo.... maybe I just missed it and everyone else gets it.... that's been the case in other songs before.

One thing I noticed was in the verses the lyrics tend to repeat the same words..... repetition is good, but in the chorus where you have it, it works well. Verses should generally avoid repetition of the same words. Using the same words... horizon, fires, dark night in verses one and two.... well, it's kinda lazy songwriting. Each verse should be unique, and even in the same verse, unless it's really important to repeat a word more than once.... don't. Put your thinking cap on and dig deeper for unique ways of saying something.

All in all, I like this song. Good work...
Posted By: royg1707 Re: A new Original Song 'Shining Light' - 11/25/14 02:27 PM
Thank you for your thoughts and comments. I don't know where the song came from really, I tend to write words and then fit the music to them, this is a bit repetitive, it must have been a late night session, and my lyrics don't always have a background meaning, they just appear sometimes.
Thanks again for taking the time to listen, really appreciated.
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: A new Original Song 'Shining Light' - 11/25/14 04:18 PM
I like how the song thins out and ends on the dominant rather than the tonic. Unexpected.
SD
Posted By: royg1707 Re: A new Original Song 'Shining Light' - 11/25/14 08:38 PM
Thanks for your comments, the ending was not as planned but it seemed to work.
Thanks again.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: A new Original Song 'Shining Light' - 11/25/14 11:49 PM
Nice song Roy! A lot to like there, as Bob said.

I thought it was mixed very clearly, great use of real tracks, and your voice is quite good! In fact, your voice is SO dang good, I find myself wondering why you would use a harmony plug when you could clearly NAIL the harmony yourself, and it would sound totally authentic, with no artifacts.

But, part of what's cool about writing songs is that each artist gats to make all the creative control decisions. (And I support that 100%)

I listened to some of your other songs too when this one was over... you have some good stuff! Keep it coming!
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: A new Original Song 'Shining Light' - 11/26/14 10:32 AM
Originally Posted By: royg1707
Thank you for your thoughts and comments. I don't know where the song came from really, I tend to write words and then fit the music to them, this is a bit repetitive, it must have been a late night session, and my lyrics don't always have a background meaning, they just appear sometimes.
Thanks again for taking the time to listen, really appreciated.

great insight to your creative process..... now, you can leave it as is or you can do the hard work and do a rewrite of this song.....starting from where it is currently. The rewrite gives you the opportunity to "fix" the lyrics and give this some thought and direction.

The key to writing a great song is all in the rewriting process. Take the "lyrics that just appear" and ponder on them and write a better line, swap them around, use them in a more effective way, find new rhymes that work and take the lyric in new directions..... you now have the time to set and do this, unlike that first writing session where you needed to get the thoughts written down lest they be lost.

You do not have to throw this version away... let it set on the proverbial shelf while you deconstruct and reconstruct the song.....if you like ver 2 better.... move forward but if ver2 is not as good simply delete it and keep ver 1.....

Nothing that you hear from me is a first draft.... well I should probably say rarely... rarely will you hear something from me that is a first draft. Most often it's been rewritten and reworked numerous times. Words tweaked, phrases removed or added, verses swapped around, choruses deleted and rewritten..... all before the recording starts in earnest.

additional thoughts and musings from me.....
Posted By: Sundance Re: A new Original Song 'Shining Light' - 11/27/14 03:16 AM
I really enjoyed this a lot. That mic fits your voice like a glove. Sounds great. Catchy song and cool arrangement.

Herb has given you some solid songwriting advice. However, I must add that a lot of songs today have a ton of repetition. So I'm assuming you listen to those genres of music which is bound to influence your writing.

Josie
© PG Music Forums