PG Music Home
Posted By: Sundance From You To Me (Josie with Pat on Guitar) - 11/28/14 12:01 PM
This is my version of Charlie's song with Pat on lead guitar and cello. It's more of a pop rock version so the vocal is heard but not as out front as some other genres. The mandolin and piano alternate in focus (volume)to add a bit of movement to the track. I tried to make it my own going for an ethereal feel with a slow dance make out vibe while staying true to the soul of Charlie's song. Special thanks to Pat for the guitar and cello.

From You To Me

I'll update RT's in a bit. smile

Hope you like it.

Josie
Josie, Charlie and Pat, This is a great collaboration. Josie, the mix sounds great and the vocals are fabulous. Charlie the write is very good and holds up under this style change. Pat, nice understated guitar and cello. Perfectly executed and very tasteful. The vibe is dreamy and ethereal and just right for the song. Great arrangement. Josie you are on a roll! Your last few have been stellar. Tom
LOVE IT!! Everything works perfectly. I'm not sure I've heard the song before. Swirling BGs are hypnotic. Mandolin and cello work beautifully and the drums/solo guitar feel as if they were played just for this song. To me, I hear a lot of '66/'67 Beatles vibe. Very surreal. Amazing work all the way around!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: RnAM Re: From You To Me (Josie with Pat on Guitar) - 11/28/14 02:33 PM
Hi Josie,

What a beautiful song! It surely has an ethereal feel.
The guitar and cello are very good, your vocals are beautiful!

Rob and Anne-Marie
it hasn't been too long since Charlie posted this song. Here is the link to CHARLIE'S ORIGINAL POST

At the time, something about this song really appealed to me, and I couldn't stop listening to it. Who knows what it is about some songs that call out to us? I knew the mandolin created a mood that I liked... and for a good ol' boy in South Carolina to have written the song, I was awe struck by just how tender the words were. His arrangement was kind of sparse, which reinforced in my mind the image of a regular guy speaking out emotions that perhaps aren't a man's first estate.. so he picked up the nearest instrument and justified the heartfelt sonnet to chords... strummed very simply... with little embellishment.

Even Charlie's presentation was touching, because he never said the song was finished... he presented it as a work in process, and practically apologized for posting it!! What a humble, down to earth and genuine man!

Somewhere along the line, Josie and Charlie must have connected and talked about a remix of the song, because that's what Josie's post represents: her spin on Charlie's love song.

By the time I was asked to contribute, Josie had already added her sweet vocal track and harmonies... so I turned off the light in my studio, put the player on loop and listened over and over to get a feel for the mood of the song before even attempting to strike a note. What I heard in the dark seemed dream-like, given the sentiment of Charlie's lyrics mixed with Josie's absolutely beautiful voice. I really like what My two friends have done with this, and I hope that my contribution hasn't taken anything away from the simplicity of the song. I know Josie worked hard to preserve that quality.

When I look back on all the crap I sent Josie, then listen to what she did with it, I have to remark that her ear for what should stay and what should go is much better than mine. From my perspective, Everything she kept (and how she placed it in the mix) added to the dream-like aspect of the song.

Josie... I think your voice is breath-takingly beautiful in this song! So beautiful that I feel compelled to thank Charlie for handing the project over to you for completion. As we say here in NC: "ya done good, girl!" (Charlie, you done good too!)

And the interesting thing, if you listen to both versions, is that Josie had the sensibility to honor the original song by not making substantial changes to it... She just made what was there REALLY sweet!

I hope y'all like this song as much as I do.
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Pat, nice understated guitar and cello. Perfectly executed and very tasteful. Tom

I'm smiling as I read what you've written here Tommy... because if you heard the whole OVERstated mess I sent Josie, you'd conclude I was a starving guitar player who expected to be paid by the note. It is to Josie's credit (and hers alone) that the song retained most of the airy and uncluttered quality she inherited from Charlie.

So, in spite of my best efforts to undermine the project with my ill-considered contributions, the unassailable quality of Charlie and Josie's teamwork won out in the end.

wink
Tommy,

I appreciate that very much.

I love the RT's but having a real person play to get those extra touches was a real treat. Both Pat and Charlie were great to work with.

Thank you,

Josie
Greg,

Thank you. I wanted to do Charlie's beautiful song proud. I'm so glad you liked it.

Josie
I also really liked the mood on this one. Great vocals and playing as well. Nice way to enjoy the long weekend)) Thanks for posting.

-Jeff
So...wait.. Pat plays cello???? Who knew that? Geez! Nice!

Cool collaboration, guys! A beautiful sound. Such a flow...
Sweet vocals for a sweet song.

Tasty guitar.

A great listen.

floyd
Posted By: dani48 Re: From You To Me (Josie with Pat on Guitar) - 11/28/14 08:29 PM
Hi, Josie, Pat and Charlie !:))

I love both instrumentation,
playing and vocals and those
nice chords naturally ......!!!

This is a very nice tune
so beautifully performed !!!:))

Gracias por todo !!:))

Cheers
Dani
Josie, Pat, Charlie,
What a great collab. Great song and a beautiful arrangement. Just superb.
SD
Posted By: rsdean Re: From You To Me (Josie with Pat on Guitar) - 11/28/14 11:01 PM
Josie / Charlie / Pat,

This is great - love everything about it. Great vibe and feel all around.

Bob
Posted By: MarioD Re: From You To Me (Josie with Pat on Guitar) - 11/28/14 11:46 PM
Everything that I wanted to say already has been said.

Josie your vocal is super on this one and Pat you guitar fantastic. Who know that you played the cello?

This is a keeper.
Originally Posted By: R & AM
Hi Josie,

What a beautiful song! It surely has an ethereal feel.
The guitar and cello are very good, your vocals are beautiful!

Rob and Anne-Marie

Thank you Rob and Anne-Marie.

Josie
Pat,

It was my pleasure working with you.

Josie
Originally Posted By: JPeden73
I also really liked the mood on this one. Great vocals and playing as well. Nice way to enjoy the long weekend)) Thanks for posting.

-Jeff

Jeff, thank you very much.

Josie
Originally Posted By: floyd jane

Tasty guitar.

A great listen.

floyd

Floyd,

Pat played the cello on guitar with his guitar synth - I'm not an electric guitar player so I don't know about these things....blush

Thank you very much.

Josie
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Josie, Pat and Charlie !:))

I love both instrumentation,
playing and vocals and those
nice chords naturally ......!!!

This is a very nice tune
so beautifully performed !!!:))

Gracias por todo !!:))

Cheers
Dani

Dani,

Thank you, yeah I love those romantic chords.

Josie
Originally Posted By: floyd jane

I wish!! the cello part was added via a guitar synth (Roland Gr-55)

Quote:

Tasty guitar.

A great listen.

floyd

Floyd, I really appreciate hearing such kind words from you. I agree that Josie and Charlie did a great job... but I'm not entirely comfortable being on the receiving end of forum comments, so I'm gonna step out of the way here. Josie and Charlie are both much more invested in this project than I am. I was so busy with other stuff that I cranked out a very quick & dirty mess, which Josie did a wonderful job of sanitizing. Thanks to you and everyone else who took the time to listen and offer comments (especially such kind ones!) This is an awesome forum full of people who are talented and gracious... and I appreciate every one of you!
Josie did a superb job of assimilating the suggestions and recommendations from comments made when I posted my version of this song and then crafting a version that corrected all the little nits all the while making the song her own. I think this song was a very good fit for Josie and I appreciate Pat Marr stepping in and giving a great performance of the guitar and synthesized cello. Josie dropped the key to fit her vocals better and that made it difficult to find a suitable real track. Pat took care of that situation for us.

Josie said she hoped to make me proud and I just wanted to drop in and let her and everyone know that she did make me proud and to also let her know how impressed I am not only with her sweet voice, but also her arranging and production/mixing capabilities.

Thanks to all who have stopped in for a spin of the song and taken time to comment.

Charlie
What a beautiful song. Loved the lyrics. Just love these collaborations. Vocals were so heartfelt. Guitar work and cello was such a nice touch to the song. Well done
Posted By: boehm Re: From You To Me (Josie with Pat on Guitar) - 11/29/14 11:06 AM
Hi Josie, Pat,and Charlie,

what a great collab. Josie's voice is great. I love those background vocals. And Pat did a great job with his guitar and cello. I didn't know you can do that. I'm impressed.
It's a grat arrangement all over. Charly, you can be proud.

Guenter
Posted By: 90 dB Re: From You To Me (Josie with Pat on Guitar) - 11/29/14 05:53 PM
Very nice. Great playing as well Pat ( I want details - guitar/amp/amp modeler, etc.). Kudos to Charlie too. This sheds a new light on the forum's restriction on posting covers. Just cover each other. grin

Regards,

Bob
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
Very nice. Great playing as well Pat ( I want details - guitar/amp/amp modeler, etc.).

Thanks for asking Bob! The ACTUAL guitar was a GODIN LGXT Midi guitar... but it was played through the ROLAND GR-55 , which offers MIDI patches (for the cello) and it also has tons of classic guitars and amps modeled... for this song I used the model of a generic electric guitar with lipstick-style pickup...played through a model of a deluxe crunch tube amp. Gain on the amp was set at about 36% , and two soft pads were added to the patch to get the sustain. I also added reverb from a STRYMON BIG SKY reverb pedal to extend the sustain.

Quote:
Kudos to Charlie too.

I'll vote for that!

Quote:
This sheds a new light on the forum's restriction on posting covers. Just cover each other. grin

I like that idea, actually! Floyd just did a cover of Joanne's song, Josie did a cover of Charlie's... there are lots of other songs on the user showcase that are interesting enough to survive a remix by somebody else on the forum
Josie, this highlights the "sultry" in your beautiful voice without overdoing it. I loved it!

And Pat's guitar work framed you perfectly.

An excellent collaborative result.
Well, well, well, Mr Marr steps out. Very cool
and effective parts!

This is a tune that it would have been
easy for many arrangers to "overcook."
It speaks to y'all's collective taste that
the production includes just what is needed.
"Just what" meaning...not too much nor
too sparse. It hits that sweet spot that
is needed to support, in this case, a
sweet vocal and lyric.

Kudos! Gotta love these collabs.
Nice work from all involved.

I think it's cool when other folks in the forum hear a song written by a fellow forumite and decide to cover it.
Originally Posted By: SpaceDog
Josie, Pat, Charlie,
What a great collab. Great song and a beautiful arrangement. Just superb.
SD

SD, thank you. The cello (Pat's idea), I thought was the little bit of gel that made a huge difference for me. I loved it.

Quote:
Josie / Charlie / Pat,

This is great - love everything about it. Great vibe and feel all around.

Bob

Hey Bob! Thank you so much.

[quote]Everything that I wanted to say already has been said.

Josie your vocal is super on this one and Pat you guitar fantastic. Who know that you played the cello?

This is a keeper./quote]

Mario, you are such a wonderfully talented person, thank you so much. I was battling the sniffles but was able to sing it without being too honky. Pat's guitar synth Cello has a nice rich sound.

Josie
Originally Posted By: Scottt709
What a beautiful song. Loved the lyrics. Just love these collaborations. Vocals were so heartfelt. Guitar work and cello was such a nice touch to the song. Well done

Thank you very much Scott. Charlie had a really good arrangement to build on. Pat was under the gun time wise and we're so happy he was able to do it. I enjoyed it.

Quote:
Hi Josie, Pat,and Charlie,

what a great collab. Josie's voice is great. I love those background vocals. And Pat did a great job with his guitar and cello. I didn't know you can do that. I'm impressed.
It's a grat arrangement all over. Charly, you can be proud.

Guenter[quote]

Thank you Guenter, that's means so much coming from you. I really appreciate it and so do Charlie and Pat.

[quote]Josie, this highlights the "sultry" in your beautiful voice without overdoing it. I loved it!

And Pat's guitar work framed you perfectly.

An excellent collaborative result.

Hey Don! Good to see you. Thank you. I was picturing a couple slow dancing in my head while doing this one. Yeah, of all the licks that one shouted I'm the signature lick here to me too.

Quote:
Well, well, well, Mr Marr steps out. Very cool
and effective parts!

This is a tune that it would have been
easy for many arrangers to "overcook."
It speaks to y'all's collective taste that
the production includes just what is needed.
"Just what" meaning...not too much nor
too sparse. It hits that sweet spot that
is needed to support, in this case, a
sweet vocal and lyric.

Kudos! Gotta love these collabs.

Thank you very much Bud. You sir, have been very much an influence on me in not "overcooking" unless I'm really going for a wall of sound. Kudos appreciated.

Josie
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
Very nice. Great playing as well Pat ( I want details - guitar/amp/amp modeler, etc.). Kudos to Charlie too. This sheds a new light on the forum's restriction on posting covers. Just cover each other. grin

Regards,

Bob

Quote:
Nice work from all involved.

I think it's cool when other folks in the forum hear a song written by a fellow forumite and decide to cover it.

Bob and Herb,

Thank you both very much. So glad you both enjoyed it.

When I found out that Charlie had originally written this song with me in mind to sing it - and it was such a good fit and I liked it - I was happy to do it. grin

Thanks again from all of us for everyone who listened and commented.

Josie
Posted By: MikeK Re: From You To Me (Josie with Pat on Guitar) - 12/02/14 11:59 PM
WOW! I haven't been around for too long, it appears - and I'm missing some really awesome music! This is just fantastic from the beginning to the end! What a nice song and performance!

Love it!!!!
Josie, Pat and Charlie,

Agree with everything said up to this post.

Josie your voice, arrangement and mixing are all outstanding. Professional quality, radio ready, anyway you want to state it just outstanding.

Pat I must agree with Josie; you deserve much credit since the cello is the glue that binds the song. When you can get other guitarists to ask how you created your signature guitar sound, you know you've done good!

Charlie, you know you're a good songwriter when others ask to cover your song. You done good.
Hi There!

All three of you did a marvelous job on this. Outstanding in so many ways. i think this might be the most sultry vox we've heard from Josie. everything is outstanding! Congrats on a wonderful collab! best to all of you...

Alan & Di
Thanks to all who have taken time to listen and/or post.

I can't thank Josie enough for taking on this project. I could not have asked for more. Pat Marr did an excellent job for helping with the instrumentation and delivered just what was needed for the song. I had enough sense to stay on the sidelines and let these guys do their work.

I've always been more motivated to see what others do with one of my ideas than what I do.

This was over the top for me.

Again, Thanks for listening and providing feedback.

Charlie
Listened to Charlie's original version first and really enjoyed it's slightly hypnotic groove.
Then the collaboration sent it into hyperdrive.
Huge bottom end Josie just right in the middle rhythm and fiddle on top.
Songs I'm hearing lately are beyond my ability to analyse and criticize.
Can only say i enjoy them hugely. Great work from all concerned. Cheers.
Posted By: gibson Re: From You To Me (Josie with Pat on Guitar) - 12/05/14 05:25 AM
Josie and Pat,

I have listened to this quite a few times but cannot put my thoughts into words.

I have to say something but all the other posters have covered my bases blush

Josie's voice is perfect for the song and Pat's contribution was a surprise BUT WOW.

Well written Charlie and a wonderful cover.

Alyn
Originally Posted By: RichMac
Listened to Charlie's original version first and really enjoyed it's slightly hypnotic groove.
Then the collaboration sent it into hyperdrive.
Huge bottom end Josie just right in the middle rhythm and fiddle on top.
Songs I'm hearing lately are beyond my ability to analyse and criticize.
Can only say i enjoy them hugely. Great work from all concerned. Cheers.

Thank you very much Rich. We appreciate that.

Josie
Originally Posted By: gibson
Josie and Pat,

I have listened to this quite a few times but cannot put my thoughts into words.

I have to say something but all the other posters have covered my bases blush

Josie's voice is perfect for the song and Pat's contribution was a surprise BUT WOW.

Well written Charlie and a wonderful cover.

Alyn

Alyn, that means a lot to all of us. Thank you.
Here's the link for the video. Thanks for watching.

http://youtu.be/pmePYQSfeLU

Josie
Posted By: rsdean Re: From You To Me (Josie with Pat on Guitar) - 02/04/15 01:26 PM
Josie,

This is a great song - love the new video effect.

Bob
Thank you Bob, I can only take credit for the production and video - Charlie wrote me a beautiful song to sing.

Josie
Posted By: FredM Re: From You To Me (Josie with Pat on Guitar) - 02/04/15 01:49 PM
Hi josie,
All has been said I guess. I like the song very much. It has this Woodstock feeling... End sixties , early seventies... Good times ☺

G

F
Thank you Fred. It took me a little while to come up with a video - something simple to keep the focus on the song.

To me Charlie's song has a "beach music" feel and I LOVE that. He zeroed right in on my taste. And Pat was the icing.

Josie
Jose, and Pat, and Charlie,

This is real nice! I really like the song. And Josie, you did your usual good work here. Nice vocals, and nice overall feel. Pat, great job on the guitar and the guitar-cello! And of course the song is great.

Steve
Posted By: Noel96 Re: From You To Me (Josie with Pat on Guitar) - 02/05/15 07:13 AM
Hi Josie, Pat and Charlie,

I'm really glad that this song was bumped up to the top of the list again. I can't believe that I missed it!!! It's a great listen. I love the ambiance that the backing creates. To my ears, it was like 'ethereal' meets 'meditative' meets 'adult contemporary'. It matches the lyric and melodic content beautifully. The arrangement and the mix was just right.

Josie, your singing is terrific.

Pat, great guitar work.

Charlie, what a write!

All in all, everyone got my ovation.

Regards,
Noel

Hi Josie, Pat and Charlie,

Like Noel, I missed this one too but I'm glad I found it eventually.

Love the chord progression and airy feel. Your voice is outstanding and sounds different to other songs of yours that I have heard, more like Rumer with a pleasing softness. I really loved the harmony backing vocals as well on "smile", "dream" etc.

Congrats to Pat also for the guitar work which fits perfectly.

Thanks for sharing,
Rec
Steve, Noel, and Rec,

On behalf of Charlie, Pat and myself, thank you all very much!

Josie
Glad I caught this one. Love the style of the song and it suits your vocal perfectly. And the harmonies are super!

much enjoyed!
Josie,

All I can do is second what's already been said. Just a great job all around by everyone involved. I loved your vocals on this!

Excellent!

Greg
© PG Music Forums