PG Music Home
Posted By: JPeden73 New Song: 'Long, Long Road' - 11/28/14 04:40 PM
Hello all and Happy Thanksgiving!

Here is my next crack at this. This time only realtracks (no sax - though I was tempted). Anyways here is what I used:

Bass ~572
Guitars ~368 (Acoustic) ~382 (Slide) ~694 (Electric Rhythm) ~363 (Steel Guitar)
RealDrums ~RockEven8
MIDI ~1807 Strings ~1887 Piano

The song is Long, Long Road

As always, thanks for comments and suggestions.

Here are the lyrics for those interested:

Took a long, long road to you
Seems my searchin' days are all but through
And when I feel like giving up, oh
I just keep moving on
I took a long, long road to you
And things are lookin' up

And I guess that it's time to choose
With all the twists and turns I've paid my dues
And I never put stock in fate, no
I'm right where I belong.
I'm just a little late

On the road I'm often led astray
By the fears inside that cloud the way
Up ahead I think I finally see
A light that shines for me.

On the road I'm often led astray
But your love inside will guide the way
Up ahead I think I finally see
What my life could be

Took a long, long road to you
Now it seems my dreams are coming true
And when I fell like giving up, no
I just keep moving on
And things are looking up
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: New Song: 'Long, Long Road' - 11/28/14 05:08 PM
Nothing to suggest here. This is an excellent written, arranged song and performance. Your vocals really cut through on this. Loved it.

Charlie
Posted By: RnAM Re: New Song: 'Long, Long Road' - 11/28/14 05:39 PM
Nice song.
Good vocals (also the backing vocals).

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New Song: 'Long, Long Road' - 11/28/14 07:05 PM
Sweet track!! Love the vocals, and the slide guitar fits soooo sweetly. Really nice feel. To me, the song wanders a bit musically at the bridge/instrumental/bridge portions. I wouldn't even mention this except that I think the rest of the song is so strong, I guess I feel it would be worth re-thinking. Just a thought. Absolutely a sweet song!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: floyd jane Re: New Song: 'Long, Long Road' - 11/28/14 07:33 PM
Jeff,

A really nice song. Love your vocal.

I actually think your sax would have been a great addition to this. To take the place of the slide fills - let the slide do the middle lead - that's quite nice - but have your sax do all the other spots that the slide is now. Just a suggestion IF you were to re-do this. There seems to be questioning about some of my suggestions these days - LOL...

I enjoyed this...

floyd
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: New Song: 'Long, Long Road' - 11/28/14 08:44 PM
Jeff,
Well done. I like the composition very much and your vocal sounds perfect in this style.

SD
Posted By: MarioD Re: New Song: 'Long, Long Road' - 11/28/14 10:57 PM
Originally Posted By: c_fogle
Nothing to suggest here. This is an excellent written, arranged song and performance. Your vocals really cut through on this. Loved it.

Charlie

A BIG +1

I really liked the lyrics, outstanding job on that and your vocals. Great mix also.
Posted By: Sundance Re: New Song: 'Long, Long Road' - 11/29/14 12:29 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Jeff,

A really nice song. Love your vocal.

I actually think your sax would have been a great addition to this. To take the place of the slide fills - let the slide do the middle lead - that's quite nice - but have your sax do all the other spots that the slide is now. Just a suggestion IF you were to re-do this. There seems to be questioning about some of my suggestions these days - LOL...

I enjoyed this...

floyd

A HUGE +1 Couldn't agree more with FJ's suggestions on this one.

Really nice song and your vocal is captivating.

Josie
Posted By: JPeden73 Re: New Song: 'Long, Long Road' - 11/29/14 01:56 AM
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Once again, greatly appreciated...

Charlie, Rob and Anne-Marie - Thanks for the kind words. Worked on the vocals quite a bit on this one, especially the backgrounds. Glad you liked that part.

Greg - Point taken. It seemed I was stuck on whether to do the bridge once or twice. I really wanted to keep the solo (as this song was sort of a project on whether I could put one of these together). Song seemed a little short with just once through the bridge. If you have any advice on this, I'd be glad to hear it. Thanks for the thoughtful listen.

Floyd and Josie - Of course I originally had a sax in mind when doing this)) I'll experiment and see if I can come up something appropriate (always fun to try). Thanks for listening.

SD - Thanks for the encouraging words. Much appreciated.

Mario - Thanks for taking the time to comment on the lyrics and the mix. These are two of the most difficult parts for me right now. Glad that you liked that part of it.
Posted By: Scott C Re: New Song: 'Long, Long Road' - 11/29/14 09:53 AM
Nice job. Love the tone to your vocal. Excellent lyrics. Here a little Don Henley in there. :-) Well done
Posted By: boehm Re: New Song: 'Long, Long Road' - 11/29/14 11:15 AM
Hi Jeff,

nice song. Good vocals and background vocals. Like the arrangement. Enjoyable listen.

Guenter
Posted By: tommyad Re: New Song: 'Long, Long Road' - 11/29/14 12:48 PM
Jeff, Really nice job on the vocal. This style fits you very well. You are heading the right direction. I will be looking for your next one. Tom
Posted By: JPeden73 Re: New Song: 'Long, Long Road' - 11/29/14 02:39 PM
Scott - Thanks for the kind words. Listened to a lot of Don Henley over the years. Guess it was bound to creep in there.

Guenter - Thanks for taking a listen. Glad you liked the arrangement. I struggled a little deciding on that part.

Tom - Always appreciate your feedback. Thanks for listening.

-Jeff
© PG Music Forums