PG Music Home
Posted By: SpaceDog Baby, I Just Don't Know - 11/28/14 05:15 PM
Greetings Forum Friends,
I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving!
I'd like to post one more song this year. It's another one from the old songbook. I wrote this one with my old friend Frank back in 1975 when C&W and truckin' songs were all the rage.
I "matured" the lyrics a bit and took advantage of 30 years of technology (Thanks PG) and final recorded, "Baby, I Just Don't Know." For all of you out on the open road this weekend, I hope this toe-tapper makes the drive a bit more fun. Enjoy.

Here's the link
http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=12983373&q=hi&newref=1
http://www.soundclick.com/dcspacedog

Here are the RTs etc.

Style is C_HONKIN.STY (Honkin - Country Rock)
RealDrums will be substituted :NashvilleEven8^6-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, HiHat Open
RT 620 Pedal Steel, background Cowboy ev 165
RT 405 Guitar Accoustic Strumming ev 120
RT 520 Bass, Electric Pop Half notes ev 165
RT 436 Mandolin soloist Bluegrass ev 130
RT 433 Banjo soloist Bluegrass ev 130

Posted By: RnAM Re: Baby, I Just Don't Know - 11/28/14 05:33 PM
Hi SD,

A toe-tapper indeed!
The banjo and pedal steel are very functional here and sound great.
Nice vocals too.

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Baby, I Just Don't Know - 11/28/14 05:43 PM
SpaceDog. Enjoyed this. I thought the background vocals were done well. It's been a lot of fun hearing this resurgence of country music on the forum.

Charlie
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Baby, I Just Don't Know - 11/28/14 06:58 PM
Nice tune!! Melody is very cool and lyrics are simple but work great as well. Changes in the bridge are unusual but I think they work. I would make everything a bit wetter, particularly the vocals and drums. Great work! Take care. Greg
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Baby, I Just Don't Know - 11/28/14 07:20 PM
SD,

A good "drivin' song". They were, indeed, popular in that period.

Nice harmonies on this. The banjo and mandolin could come up a little in the mix... everything else sits nicely.

fj
Posted By: MarioD Re: Baby, I Just Don't Know - 11/28/14 11:50 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
SD,

Nice harmonies on this. The banjo and mandolin could come up a little in the mix... everything else sits nicely.

fj

I agree with Floyd about the banjo and mandolin but otherwise I think that this is a winner.!

Great job on the lyrics and vocals also.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Baby, I Just Don't Know - 11/29/14 12:37 AM
SD I liked this country side of you. Smooth toe tapper and cool harmony too.

Josie
Posted By: Scott C Re: Baby, I Just Don't Know - 11/29/14 10:09 AM
Nice tune. Loved the lyrics. Heard a little of one of our fellow Albertan's (Ian Tyson) in you vocal..
Posted By: boehm Re: Baby, I Just Don't Know - 11/29/14 11:23 AM
Hi SD,
Originally Posted By: Sundance
I liked this country side of you. Smooth toe tapper and cool harmony too.

+ 1
Enjoyable listen. Regards to Frank.

Guenter
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Baby, I Just Don't Know - 11/30/14 01:01 AM
Rob and Anne-Marie,
Thanks glad you liked it.
SD
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Baby, I Just Don't Know - 11/30/14 01:05 AM
Charlie,
Thanks. The BB C&W stlyes are pretty good. I appreciate your complement.
SD
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Baby, I Just Don't Know - 11/30/14 01:07 AM
Greg,
Thanks. I agree about the vocal effects and mix. I'll post a new version soon.
SD
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Baby, I Just Don't Know - 11/30/14 01:08 AM
Floyd,
Thanks for listening and commenting. I'll bring the banjo and mandolin up as you suggest.
SD
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Baby, I Just Don't Know - 11/30/14 01:13 AM
Mario,
Thanks. I'm glad you liked the lyrics. The original title was "Baby, I'll Let you Know" and the lyrics were rather arrogant. Much better now.
SD
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Baby, I Just Don't Know - 11/30/14 01:17 AM
Josie,
Thanks. I'm really glad you enjoyed it. My country style is rather old but I'm glad you think it still works.
SD
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Baby, I Just Don't Know - 11/30/14 01:19 AM
Scott,
Thanks. I'll have to look up Ian Tyson but I'm sure I'll be flattered.
SD
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Baby, I Just Don't Know - 11/30/14 01:22 AM
Guenter,
Thanks. I'm glad you like it. I'll pass your regards to Frank. He'll be touched.
SD
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Baby, I Just Don't Know - 11/30/14 12:21 PM
OK, Space Dog... this song requires a name change for you:
from now on you should go by the name "ROAD DAWG" ;-)

This song is a real departure from the ballads you usually present to the forum, but I gotta say... I LIKE this side of your playing! I'd like to hear more of this from you!

I thought it had a "live performance" feel more than a studio feel, and from my perspective that's a good thing. The way you merged the harmony to the melody is part of what gave it the live feel... most studio produced harmonies are a tad too perfect and programmed sounding. In your song there was just enough difference in when the two singers started and ended that it was like a band on stage playing the song in real time. I LIKE that sound!

Anyway, add my name to the list of people who enjoyed this one! I hope you're already working on the next one!
Posted By: gibson Re: Baby, I Just Don't Know - 11/30/14 01:31 PM
SD,

Wonderful vocals and harmonies.

Good change to the middle bit just before the solos.

I really enjoyed it, certainly had my foot tapping along

Alyn
Posted By: tommyad Re: Baby, I Just Don't Know - 11/30/14 01:47 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
SD,

fj

+1 , I agree with floyd. I liked the vocals. I would also add reverb to the vocals like Greg said. I enjoyed it. Tom
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Baby, I Just Don't Know - 11/30/14 11:58 PM
Pat,
I'm really flattered by your comments and review. Thanks for taking the time to give you're perspective. It's really helpful.
I was a bit worried about this one. It's been so long since I wrote it, I thought it might be stale. Also I know the performance and recording wasn't perfect but I also thought it gave it a more authentic sound. It's really nice to hear that you agree.
With you're encouragement in addition to the other supportive comments I've gotten on this song, I'll definitely come back the country genre more frequently.
Thanks so much.
SpaceDog
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Baby, I Just Don't Know - 12/01/14 12:02 AM
Alyn,
Thanks so much for listening. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I really appreciate the comments on the vocals.
Best wishes
SD
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Baby, I Just Don't Know - 12/01/14 12:04 AM
Tommy,
Thanks I'm glad you liked the song. I'm working on a remix and should be posting it in a few days. I appreciate your advice/
SD
© PG Music Forums