PG Music Home
Posted By: brian anderson about BAND IN A BOX - 12/03/14 12:32 PM
total newbie here asking ridiculous questions that probably have been asked a million times. I'm a composer, multi instrumentalist who occasionally would like a quick way of setting up backing tracks to see how a piece will "FEEL" before going into the elaborate recording process of "TAKES and RETAKES" Would BAND IN A BOX resolve this and which level of this product would be best for a newbie? I see many versions at different prices. My musical preference is ROOTS, BLUEGRASS,BLUES and COUNTRY...I'm mostly an instrumental musician. My biggest love is FUSION JAZZ but many years of practice will be required before I tap into that style. If there is a link that shows a STEP BY STEP of what exactly this software does I would appreciate that. Thanks to all
Posted By: horsthartung Re: about BAND IN A BOX - 12/03/14 12:43 PM
Hello Brian...

If you go to "SUPPORT" and then "VIDEOS" on this site, You'll see all of the videos of how Band in the Box or Realband works. Then you'll be able to make up your mind if it's right for you.
Posted By: DrDan Re: about BAND IN A BOX - 12/03/14 12:45 PM
Brain, that is what BIAB does... and more.

http://www.pgmusic.com/videos.bbwin.htm
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: about BAND IN A BOX - 12/03/14 12:50 PM
Hi Brian and welcome to the forum. It appears you are at the considering stage with Band in a Box. The simple answer to your question if BIAB will resolve your wish to get a feel how a song will sound 'produced' is yes and then some.

It can be as simple or elaborate as you wish. As a multi-instrumentalist, if you plan on playing most instruments yourself, then you don't necessarily need the higher priced offers because the core of the program is the same for all of different versions. The higher priced versions provide more choices of styles, instruments and real tracks and super midi tracks. Real Tracks are real instruments played by musicians that can be utilized by BIAB to play over any chord progression in any key. Super midi is the same except they are midi instruments. You can do takes and retakes for countless hours changing styles, instruments, key and tempo and all as if you were in a room with live musicians. So, doing most of the playing yourself, the basic pro version is all you will need. Of course, if you start there and like the idea of working with super midi and real tracks, you have arrived at the right time because PGMusic is having a sale through the remainder of this year so you could easily upgrade.

Moderators will likely move this post to the OFF TOPIC forum which is the correct location for this type topic. The User Forum is where BIAB users post their original song composed using PGMusic products. Spend a little time there while you are on the forum today to see what can be done with the product. Also, there are a lot of tutorial and real track demos on YouTube.

Charlie
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: about BAND IN A BOX - 12/03/14 12:55 PM
Listen to some of the songs people here create with BiaB & Real Band.

I personally use it to record songs that I pitch to publishers as well as place with libraries for Film & TV..... it's THAT GOOD!!!

I do mix in my live guitar playing and other things I can play along with the BB/RB tracks to create the finished song.

I too enjoy Jazz and BB does Jazz well.
Posted By: Al-David Re: about BAND IN A BOX - 12/04/14 05:14 AM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Listen to some of the songs people here create with BiaB & Real Band.

I personally use it to record songs that I pitch to publishers as well as place with libraries for Film & TV..... it's THAT GOOD!!!

I do mix in my live guitar playing and other things I can play along with the BB/RB tracks to create the finished song.

I too enjoy Jazz and BB does Jazz well.

Yep ... what he said. I (Alan) do a lot of Jazz, some Fusion, and have found BIAB to be a worthwhile addition to my music creation. I'm primarily a lead guitarist and BIAB has allowed me to maker some real sweet back-up tracks!

I'll post one of my Jazz Fusion songs in the next day or two and you can have a listen for yourself.

best to you ...

Alan & Di
Posted By: Al-David Re: about BAND IN A BOX - 12/04/14 06:59 AM
Brian ...

I just posted song that's a hybrid of Nu Jazz and Jazz Fusion. I put it together after reading your question at the top of this post. It's called "Hot Fudge Sundae". It's a real quick sampkle of what you can do with this great program. Best to you ....

Alan

PS: If you go to our personal music page (the link is in our signature at the bottom of the comments), you will find dozens of songs, about two-thirds of them written in BIAB. Music Page Three has a lot of different genres.
Posted By: brian anderson Re: about BAND IN A BOX - 12/05/14 10:50 AM
Thanks everyone for the feedback! Although there ARE tutorials and samples out there it was more poignant to hear from actual users who can give a better insight on quality and practicality. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: about BAND IN A BOX - 12/05/14 03:21 PM
I first bought the pro (intro package) 4 years ago. Within 2 weeks, I upgraded to the Ultraplus, and never had a regret. Updated last year for some sweet, new RTs. For the price, this product has value that's beyond ridiculous. Putting one track mix together with pro live musicians would cost 3 times what the program cost and give no significantly better result. After 4 years, I continue to be blown away! Hope that helps. Take care. Greg
© PG Music Forums