PG Music Home
Posted By: Al-David Hot Fudge Sundae - Nu Jazz - 12/04/14 06:56 AM
I hadn't intended on posting this but Brian Anderson posted a question about the versatility and breadth of BIAB. He said he was a big fan of Jazz Fusion. So I am posting this for Brain to listen to. He's considering it (BIAB) for purchase, is my impression.

Brian ... this is a hybrid of Nu Jazz and Jazz Fusion. I wrote this, recorded it and posted it in about three hours. That's how easy it is to use BIAB! It needs some tweaking yet, not completely "touched up". But, this might give you an idea of what you can do with BIAB in just a few hours once you become familiar with it.

Following are the BIAB tracks I used, along with some other data that might be helpful. Hope this might be helpful.

File:Al - Jazz Fusion - Double Fudge Sundae.SGU
Key=D , Tempo 118, Length (m:s)=3:39
8 bar intro, 32 bar chorus, from bar 9 to bar 40. Repeat x3 choruses
Melody has 156 notes, Melody harmony is < no harmony >(0)
Soloist track has 703 notes, Soloist harmony is < no harmony >(0)
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Song is saved with bar changes for Volume Changes,
Style is CHOCLET.STY (Choclet - Smooth Jazz)
Style MIDI Instruments are : 34/1 Finger Slap Bass, GM2 Bank 1, Electric Piano (5), Brass Section (62), Voice Oohs (54),
RealTracks in song: 1944:Synth, Rhythm, EuroDance WhinyPan Ev 120
RealTracks in song: ~1438:Piano, Electric, Soloist JazzFunkGroovin Ev16 110
RealDrums in Song: PopModernGrooveSync16^1-a:Snare on 4, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

The link is right over there ------> http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12988369
Posted By: dani48 Re: Hot Fudge Sundae - Nu Jazz - 12/04/14 11:26 AM
Hi, Al !:))

This is pure magic !:))
This is just the music I dig
and your tune is asolutely
superb in every way !:))
This is the best instro
I have heard from you up
till now !:))

Take Care

and Merry X mas to you and Di
and your dearest and nearest too !!:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Hot Fudge Sundae - Nu Jazz - 12/04/14 11:29 AM
Alan,

This sounds great. A very good mix.

What are you using for your sound source? The brass hits are quite nice. Were they part of the Style or did you add them yourself?

fj
Posted By: sslechta Re: Hot Fudge Sundae - Nu Jazz - 12/04/14 11:56 AM
Haven't listened to much jazz myself but I really enjoyed this Al. Thanks!
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Hot Fudge Sundae - Nu Jazz - 12/04/14 12:50 PM
Top notch performance here Al. Hope you and Di are getting along better now. As for the song, it appears you are peaking here at the end of the year. Really nice. Thanks for posting.

Charlie
Posted By: tommyad Re: Hot Fudge Sundae - Nu Jazz - 12/04/14 01:24 PM
Alan, Very nice and smooth. You really have a grasp of this genre. I enjoyed it. Tom
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Hot Fudge Sundae - Nu Jazz - 12/04/14 01:59 PM
Al,

I'm likin' this a lot! Very peppy and yet smooth! Interesting chord changes and excellent flow of instruments in and out of the mix!

Every time the horns made an entrance I found myself wishing they'd stick around a little longer... but the dynamic effect added by the short bursts really had a nice effect!

I liked the various breaks in the song too. I'd really like to hear some vocals added to this! It is a very pleasing composition all around, just screaming for equally good lyrics!

If your intent was to convince somebody what BIAB can due, I'd say you hit a home run!! And if your intent was to post a song that got my attention and made my feet tap... you hit TWO home runs!

If there was a paypal for attaboys, I would be making a deposit to your account right now!
Posted By: gibson Re: Hot Fudge Sundae - Nu Jazz - 12/04/14 02:06 PM
Al,

Good stuff.

I love the break at 1.20!

The horns are excellent. Where do they come from??

Hope Di is ok!

Alyn
Posted By: boehm Re: Hot Fudge Sundae - Nu Jazz - 12/04/14 02:06 PM
Hi Alan,

yes, it's hot. Especially the horns are great.
I like that piano soloist.
Nice that you have changed the picture.

Guenter
Posted By: Al-David Re: Hot Fudge Sundae - Nu Jazz - 12/04/14 03:27 PM
HI Dani ...

Thank you so much for the kind words about the music. i was gonna do some guitar work in places but wanted to get this posted as quickly as possible so Brian will hear it ...hopefully he does.

And Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones, too. Thanks again, my friend ...

Alan & Di
Posted By: Al-David Re: Hot Fudge Sundae - Nu Jazz - 12/04/14 03:34 PM
Hi Floyd ...

Glad you enjoyed it. I really like this style of music but it has a limited audience. So, I write it for myself and hope a few other folks might like it too.

Everything you hear is straight from BIAB ... didn't run it through a DAW ...raw tracks from BIAB. I just took a style, added some instruments (replaced some of the tracks that came with the style, threw in a couple of chords and that was it!). Absolutely **nothing** has been done to the tracks other than what I did with the mixer in BIAB. As I said, all the tracks are raw ... lifted straight from BIAB and used Audacity to get the MP3 ...didn't manipulate anything with Audacity other than the volume of the stereo mix-down.

The horns were part of the style sample. I kept the horns, the drums and the bass from the original and replaced everything else.

This literally took me about two hours and forty-five minutes from beginning to posted on Soundclick.

Thanks for the kind words. Hope I answered your question. best to you ...

Alan & Di
Posted By: Al-David Re: Hot Fudge Sundae - Nu Jazz - 12/04/14 03:35 PM
Hi Steve ...

It's always real boost to the go (yeah, we musician types tend have a bit of an ego!), when someone from outside the genre gives a thumbs up. Sure do appreciate the visit and nice words. Best to you ...

Alan & Di
Posted By: Al-David Re: Hot Fudge Sundae - Nu Jazz - 12/04/14 03:38 PM
Hello Charlie ...

Thanks for taking this for a test drive ... glad it was a smooth ride!

I've had a few extra hours the past week, so I've been doing a little work on a couple of songs and trying ti finish one of my three novels I'm working on. Glad you liked it ... thanks for letting us know!

Wishing you well ...

Alan & Di
Posted By: Al-David Re: Hot Fudge Sundae - Nu Jazz - 12/04/14 03:39 PM
Hi Tom ...

Why, thank ya so much for those very nice words! Although I've rarely played much Jazz in public, I sit around the house and play it a lot ... when I have the time. Thanks for the visit and review ... much appreciated! Best to you ...

Alan & Di
Posted By: Al-David Re: Hot Fudge Sundae - Nu Jazz - 12/04/14 03:50 PM
Pat ...

Good afternoon and thank you so much for the listen and those very kind comments. I had one specific goal when I posted this ... that was demonstrate to Brian Anderson what this fabulous program can do, with a little effort, in his favored genre. If it tweaked the smiles of the ears of others, then that's a real bonus, too!

These tracks came straight from BIAB to Audacity for conversion MP3 ... not one bit of enhancement other than what i was able to do with the BIAB mixer. All I did on Audacity was create the MP3 and gave it a proper volume for the stereo mix. That's it!

I liked the horn stabs, too ... and wished they were a little more common and a bit longer. But, they're Midi tracks from BIAB ... just regular old Midis. They play when and how they want ... can't do much to change them.

As far as a lyric ... that hadn't crossed me mind. Might look into it! I've written a few Jazz Vocals over the years and really enjoyed doing it. I can't post them here because they were created in a different software package. But there is one in particular on my Soundclick site I really like. I won't post a link since I used other software for it.

Thank you again. I find your reviews/critiques, an any song, not just ours, to be educational and they often open my head to some new ideas to play around with. You have an uncanny ability to dissect the individual elements of a song and give them a whole new definition and perspective. I've learned a lot by reading your comments on everyone's songs.

Best to you ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Hot Fudge Sundae - Nu Jazz - 12/04/14 03:56 PM
Hi Alyn ...

First, Di is getting better every day ... thank you for asking. She's got a ways to go for the extent of recovery the doctors are expecting, but in time I think she'll get there.

Glad you liked this one. The horn stabs are indigenous to the band style ... they were just waiting there to be used! I replace about half the instruments from the style sample and created a new chord arrangement ... then hit the "Generate Song" button. three hours work from beginning to end.

As far as the break at 1:20 ... I played around with how I wanted to handle that. I finally settled on just holding everything far a full measure. the drums are pretty busy and I thought that would the listener a quick break ... a chance to regroup get ready for the next verse.

Thanks again, my friend!

Alan & Di
Posted By: Al-David Re: Hot Fudge Sundae - Nu Jazz - 12/04/14 03:59 PM
I Guenter ...

Guten Abend. Hofentlich, geht es dir sehr gut.

Thank you for those very kind words. I'm delighted you enjoyed those tracks. I worked on the lead pianist track longer than anything else. I got it pretty close to where I wanted it.

I appreciate your time to listen and comment so very nicely!

Alan & Di
Posted By: RnAM Re: Hot Fudge Sundae - Nu Jazz - 12/04/14 07:21 PM
Hi Alan,

In only three hours?
Well.... then this is a great result for such a short
time span!! I especially like the horn breaks.
Another one that goes to show that you really master this program!

Regards,
Rob
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Hot Fudge Sundae - Nu Jazz - 12/04/14 11:59 PM
I agree the program is fantastic!! And this song showcases it very well. BUT, some big props have to go to the guy who put the tune together-knowledge of the genre and great musical taste is still not an included feature of BIAB. Great work. Enjoyed it thoroughly!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Al-David Re: Hot Fudge Sundae - Nu Jazz - 12/05/14 05:38 PM
Hi Rob and Anne-Marie ...

Thank you very much for all those nice words! This was actually, a pretty simple task. the hardest part was settling on the chords. I had a couple different versions and decided I liked this one best. If I had had more time, I would have added a verse of my guitar work. Pat suggested putting a vocal to the music. I am considering that and if I do, I'll add some of my original guitar work.

Thank you again. We appreciate all the nice things you two say about our music. Best to you ...

Alan & Di
Posted By: Al-David Re: Hot Fudge Sundae - Nu Jazz - 12/05/14 05:43 PM
Greg,

You are much too kind with your praise! Thank you for the encouragement and validation of what Di and I have been able to do so far. I mentioned in an early reply that I have seldom played Jazz publicly but sit around the house and play it quite a bit. Country is where the money was, so that's what I played most of the time ... Country and 60's rock. And, I made a pretty good living doing it.

I like most genres of music. Country, R&B and Jazz are my favorites. I'm also big on Latin and soundtrack beds. But, over the years, I followed the money and, as I said, did pretty good financially. Plus, I like Country just fine ... grew up with it.

Anyway, thank you very much for listening and for your kind comments. Best to you ...

Alan & Di
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Hot Fudge Sundae - Nu Jazz - 12/05/14 05:44 PM
Cool BIAB showcase Alan. Another fine
demonstration of what a creative person
plus BIAB can do. It's a powerful combo
and this is a great example!

J&B
Posted By: RichMac Re: Hot Fudge Sundae - Nu Jazz - 12/05/14 06:07 PM
Hi Alan. Not such a big jazz fan But really like this one especially the intro. All cruizy. Cheers.
Posted By: cubanpete Re: Hot Fudge Sundae - Nu Jazz - 12/05/14 11:39 PM
Hi Al, as you probably know I'm exclusively an instrumental kind of guy, reason being that I cannot sing at all! But always been a Jazz fan since I was a kid ( many moons ago), so this one got my attention. Love the style and what you did with it. You have an audience here.

Mike B.
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Hot Fudge Sundae - Nu Jazz - 12/06/14 02:00 AM
Hey Al
I could do with some hot fudge Sundae on this beautiful Saturday morning in South Africa. I think you demonstrated the power of BIAB very well in such a short space of time. I am sure we will have a convert!
Posted By: Al-David Re: Hot Fudge Sundae - Nu Jazz - 12/06/14 06:06 PM
Greg,

You are very kind! Thank you so much for those warm words. It's a genre AI really enjoy but seldom have played in public ... just around the house for the most part. It was selected as "Song of the Week" by one of the groups over on Soundclick.

I'm delighted you enjoyed it ... thanks for letting me know. Best to you ...

Alan & Di
Posted By: Al-David Re: Hot Fudge Sundae - Nu Jazz - 12/06/14 06:08 PM
HI Josie ...

I hope you're right about another convert. The more support PG Music gets, the more they can improve and keep offering these great programs!

Glad you enjoyed the song. And as we're coming into winter here, you'r headed into summer. I'm not abig desseerts eater but a hot fudge sundae usually will persuade me!

Thanks again. Best to you ...

Alan & Di
Posted By: Al-David Re: Hot Fudge Sundae - Nu Jazz - 12/06/14 06:13 PM
Janice & Bud ...

Thank you very much for the kind words. perhaps I have a bit of creative talent, but BIAB makes it so much better and offers the opportunity to showcase what we hear in our heads. This was just a real quick "throw-together' to get something up for Brian to hear and demonstrate to him the power of the program.

Thanks again for the listen and very nice words. Best to you ..

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Hot Fudge Sundae - Nu Jazz - 12/06/14 06:14 PM
Hi Rich ...

Always nice to hear that someone who doesn't follow the genre enjoyed the song. Thanks for letting me know ... I appreciate you listening and commenting so nicely! best to you ...

Alan & Di
Posted By: Al-David Re: Hot Fudge Sundae - Nu Jazz - 12/06/14 06:16 PM
Mike ...

So glad you enjoyed this. And yes, you are one of the best instrumentalists on the site. We always enjoy your work. Glad this one works for you! Wishing you well and Happy Holidays! best to you ...

Alan & Di
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Hot Fudge Sundae - Nu Jazz - 12/07/14 06:31 PM
hi al great peace here love the changes in this awesome work thanks for sharing eric
Posted By: Sundance Re: Hot Fudge Sundae - Nu Jazz - 12/09/14 12:14 AM
What a great title - this is deliciously done.

Josie
© PG Music Forums