PG Music Home
Posted By: Guitarhacker Sao Paulo Night - 12/04/14 12:18 PM
Another flashback to 2009 when I was just starting with BB.....

This combines my live guitar playing with some Bossa Nova style based tracks from Real Band. I don't recall the specific RB tracks but basically everything except the lead guitar and some of the chording is all in the box. Hopefully you can tell which is which... maybe not.

SAO PAULO NIGHT

Enjoy
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Sao Paulo Night - 12/04/14 12:27 PM
Sounds good, Herb.

A very good mix - one of your best, I think. The bass sounds especially nice.

floyd
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Sao Paulo Night - 12/04/14 12:37 PM
Thanks Floyd.... I think....

If it's one of the best... and it's from 2009... this is 5 yrs later..... oh my.... I'm slipping.....

I know what you meant.... Thanks for listening and commenting.

This song was a result of using the Melodist to create something and then editing the result and playing with the real tracks. I did a bunch of jazz based stuff back in the early days as I was getting to know BB/RB and playing with all that it could do. I believe that it even came up with the recurring melodic riff you hear throughout the song.
Posted By: dani48 Re: Sao Paulo Night - 12/04/14 12:41 PM
Hi, Herb!:))

I do agree with Floyd !
This must be on of your
absolute best, at least
of those I have heard !!!!
I just love everyhting
about this one, the chords,
the bossa vibe, your
sensitive playing......!!!

Merry X-mas Herb !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Sao Paulo Night - 12/04/14 12:45 PM
This is really nice. Good arrangement, mix and excellent guitar work. Thanks for posting.

Charlie
Posted By: tommyad Re: Sao Paulo Night - 12/04/14 01:28 PM
Herb, Really nice guitar playing. The mix sounds great. It does sound exactly like the title. It's like a little travelogue. Good stuff. Tom
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Sao Paulo Night - 12/04/14 01:49 PM
Herb,

I ALWAYS like your songs, and this one is no exception! I particularly like your playing and the effects you used at various places in the song. You inspire me! Makes me want to delve into the jazz stuff! (maybe somewhere down the road)

I don't think that I've heard vocals on any of the jazz songs you've posted so far. If I got to make one request, that would be it.

Very peaceful song... made me feel like I was sitting in a lounge chair on a Royal Caribbean cruise somewhere in the Caribbean or Gulf of Mexico! (And that ain't a bad feeling to have in December!)
Posted By: boehm Re: Sao Paulo Night - 12/04/14 02:14 PM
Hi Herb,

nice arrangement and good mix. I like your guitar playing. Very tasteful.

Guenter
Posted By: gibson Re: Sao Paulo Night - 12/04/14 02:19 PM
Herb,

Nice guitar work.

Thoroughly enjoyed

Alyn
Posted By: Al-David Re: Sao Paulo Night - 12/04/14 04:13 PM
Hi Herb ...

We simply love Latin music! This was so clean and nicely done. Sweet is the right word, I believe! You're an excellent guitarist, arranger, producer, performer ... all that stuff! I learn something new almost every time you comment on someone's song. Thanks for the education! ... And this great song! nice touch on the strings!

Wishing you the very best ...

Alan & di
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Sao Paulo Night - 12/04/14 06:53 PM
Herbie old friend, that was pleasant. I have always been a fan of your guitar skills.
Posted By: RnAM Re: Sao Paulo Night - 12/04/14 07:26 PM
Hello Herb,

this is a very nice combination of saxophone RT with some excellent guitar playing from your part.
Very well done!

Rob
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Sao Paulo Night - 12/04/14 11:54 PM
Very sweet tune!! I might have put more verb on the BIAB solo instruments. Loved the guitar work!! Primo!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Sao Paulo Night - 12/05/14 09:24 AM
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Herb!:))

I do agree with Floyd !
This must be on of your
absolute best, at least
of those I have heard !!!!
I just love everyhting
about this one, the chords,
the bossa vibe, your
sensitive playing......!!!

Merry X-mas Herb !

Cheers
Dani

Thanks Dani..... I enjoyed recording this tune. I was new to PG at the time and just playing around with it's many attributes.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Sao Paulo Night - 12/05/14 09:25 AM
Originally Posted By: c_fogle
This is really nice. Good arrangement, mix and excellent guitar work. Thanks for posting.

Charlie

Glad you like it Charlie.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Sao Paulo Night - 12/05/14 09:26 AM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Herb, Really nice guitar playing. The mix sounds great. It does sound exactly like the title. It's like a little travelogue. Good stuff. Tom

Tom, on another forum at the time, one of the musicians was from Sao Paulo and commented that it reminded him of home. Glad you enjoyed it too.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Sao Paulo Night - 12/05/14 09:31 AM
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
Herb,

I ALWAYS like your songs, and this one is no exception! I particularly like your playing and the effects you used at various places in the song. You inspire me! Makes me want to delve into the jazz stuff! (maybe somewhere down the road)

I don't think that I've heard vocals on any of the jazz songs you've posted so far. If I got to make one request, that would be it.

Very peaceful song... made me feel like I was sitting in a lounge chair on a Royal Caribbean cruise somewhere in the Caribbean or Gulf of Mexico! (And that ain't a bad feeling to have in December!)

Yes, I did actually use some echo/delay on the guitar. I was into an instrumental phase at the time and no, I do not write vocals to the jazz stuff I write. I did try to collaborate with a woman jazz singer I met in LA at a songwriter's convention but she never came up with anything worth recording..... kinda fizzled you might say. So I stick to instrumental stuff in this genre.

Thanks for listening. I'm glad you liked it.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Sao Paulo Night - 12/05/14 09:32 AM
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Herb,

nice arrangement and good mix. I like your guitar playing. Very tasteful.

Guenter

Thanks Boehm. I prefer tasty over lots of notes.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Sao Paulo Night - 12/05/14 09:32 AM
Originally Posted By: gibson
Herb,

Nice guitar work.

Thoroughly enjoyed

Alyn

Thanks... glad you listened and enjoyed.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Sao Paulo Night - 12/05/14 09:35 AM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Herb ...

We simply love Latin music! This was so clean and nicely done. Sweet is the right word, I believe! You're an excellent guitarist, arranger, producer, performer ... all that stuff! I learn something new almost every time you comment on someone's song. Thanks for the education! ... And this great song! nice touch on the strings!

Wishing you the very best ...

Alan & di

Alan & Di.... thanks for listening.... I'll look and see if I have any more Latin..... I'm sure I do....

Also.... I'm glad you learn things when I comment. That's the purpose of the comments.... to help others by pointing out what I hear....or don't hear.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Sao Paulo Night - 12/05/14 09:37 AM
Originally Posted By: Robh
Herbie old friend, that was pleasant. I have always been a fan of your guitar skills.

Yes... we go back a ways to the heady early days of MC4... you probably recalled this tune from another forum many years back...

Thanks for jumping in on the comments Rob. Hope all is well with you.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Sao Paulo Night - 12/05/14 09:38 AM
Originally Posted By: R & AM
Hello Herb,

this is a very nice combination of saxophone RT with some excellent guitar playing from your part.
Very well done!

Rob

I was using sax as well as vibes quite a bit in the early days....I have some with trombone and trumpet as well.....

Thanks Rob...and AM too.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Sao Paulo Night - 12/05/14 09:40 AM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Very sweet tune!! I might have put more verb on the BIAB solo instruments. Loved the guitar work!! Primo!! Take care. Greg

Greg, you know, I really didn't do a remix on this, maybe I should have, but you're likely right about that verb thing.

Glad you like the guitar work too.
© PG Music Forums