PG Music Home
Posted By: pikeyh New demo... updated with a quick master - 12/06/14 06:41 PM
Hi Guys, just posted a new demo, did this a year or two back and thought i would revisit. acc,guit,horns and hammond are real band, drums programmed with addictive drums 2, bass programmed with scarbee rick, the rest is me.. be gentle with with me.

https://soundcloud.com/jakeyh/something-missin-mastered
Posted By: floyd jane Re: New demo... - 12/06/14 07:53 PM
Jake,

A very cool song. Great flow to it.

Listening in phones, the vocals seem tucked too far into the mix. Just a bit. The bass is dominating them. The music is very well done. The vocals are, too - I think they need to come up to rise above the music.

I listened a number of times. Really enjoyed it.

Very nice.

floyd
Posted By: dani48 Re: New demo... - 12/06/14 08:14 PM
Hi, Jake !:))

I´ll be gentle with you (lol) !!!
The truth is that I like your
tune really much and that makes it
quite easy to go gentle with you (lol)!
What you have here is a good tune
well done ! Like your voice and
vocals too !

Merry Xmas Jake !:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New demo... - 12/06/14 09:56 PM
Cool song Jake!! I just love the feel. Just one of those songs where the chords and instrumentation draw you in. I think the vocals are excellent, although maybe a bit soft as Floyd suggested. This is a great effort all around! Take care. Greg
Posted By: cubanpete Re: New demo... - 12/06/14 11:58 PM
Hi Jake, I agree with Floyd about bringing the vocals to the front a bit, and maybe the horns too, other than that good tune all around.
Thanks for posting.

Mike B.
Posted By: gibson Re: New demo... - 12/07/14 06:51 AM
Jake,

Shwmae from Neath.

I really enjoyed that.
The vocals were wonderful. Maybe they could be a little more prominent in the mix but it sounds good as it is.

I look forward to more.

Alyn
Posted By: pikeyh Re: New demo... - 12/07/14 08:16 AM
Thanks guys, very kind words, this is only a demo, as there is no mastering or limiting done as such, just to put the feeler's out for if the song structure is working. Thanks. Ade.. (Jakeyh)

btw. festive wished to you all, nice to see a fellow Welshman here as well, I am not to far away from you as I am In blackwood Gwent...
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: New demo... - 12/07/14 09:53 AM
Really enjoyed the song. Nicely put together. You could lift the vocals a little. Overall Nice feel.
Thanks for sharing
Posted By: boehm Re: New demo... - 12/07/14 12:50 PM
Hi Ade,

very nice song. If you apply the powerful mix of your first version this is going to be a real cool production.
Good vocals and very nice background vocals.

Guenter
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: New demo... - 12/07/14 12:56 PM
I've been trying since you posted this to get it to play, but still no luck. I'll keep trying.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: New demo... - 12/07/14 01:03 PM
Love this one Jake. Very anthemic. "Only a demo"? Naw, it's much better than that.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Scott C Re: New demo... - 12/07/14 01:45 PM
Excellent song. Loved the tone of your guitar. Lyrics, singing and playing excellent..
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: New demo... - 12/08/14 09:42 AM
Excellent!!

There's so much I really like about this. First, it's a ballad rock song... kinda reminded me of Procol Haram and Clapton in the early days...probably due to the mellow groove and the B3.... loved the B3.

The guitar.... man, that one caught my attention immediately. Nice tone, and tasty, tasty playing. I thought the intro guitar was wet but it worked fine.

Nice job writing both the song/melody and the lyrics. I'd like to see the lyrics in a post. Structure is working perfectly.

I think the vocals are great too.... nice lick going on with the BGV in verse 2.

Recommendations:

The vocals are good and it could be argued that with the style/genre, the level you have works..... HOWEVER, I'd bump them up a few db. Not much, maybe 2 or 3 should work.... I might even consider a volume envelope and just bump the vox were the music is fuller. Using the envelope and a small db level increase won't be noticeable, but the vox will float on the music a bit better.

Guitar: in the short turnaround solo, come up 3db perhaps 6db... let it be heard.

Ending: I would likely have added a few measures for a guitar outro..... but that's just me. I thought the ending could have been better. 4 measures in an instrumental tag.

Nice work.

edit: I also like the Scarbee bass tone.... nice! Good to see you played a number of the tracks live/midi in combination with the BB/RB tracks..... that makes for the most interesting and unique songs that get posted here.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: New demo... - 12/08/14 10:38 AM
Man.. This song totally drew me in. Loved it from start to finish. I really enjoyed your guitar work and would have loved to hear more. The guitar worked very well with this song.

Good melody, vocals, write, arrangement and production. This is top notch.

Charlie
Posted By: tommyad Re: New demo... - 12/08/14 11:12 AM
Jake, The intro was great, the vocals are great, the arrangement is great. A few mix tweaks and you're there. Did I mention that I really like it. Tom
Posted By: pikeyh Re: New demo... updated with a quick master - 12/08/14 12:06 PM
Thanks Gents, All input greatly appreciated, will post a couple more over the coming weeks, if i am up to it. thanks again all . Ade
© PG Music Forums