PG Music Home
Posted By: Guitarhacker Oh Come Emmanuel - 12/10/14 01:35 PM
This is the traditional song from the hymn book.... just probably like you never heard it or expected it....

Safely in the public domain.... I changed or... rewrote a few of the lines to my liking.

The band:

Gene Rabbi on B3 organ
John Jarvis on piano
Wayne Killius on drums
Mark Hill on Bass
Herb Hartley on all guitars and vocals

THe basic style is LA hard rock.... everything else is up for grabs.

OH COME EMMANUEL

I hope you enjoy this version.... feel free to comment.

Brand new, smoking hot off the DAW.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Oh Come Emmanuel - 12/10/14 05:46 PM
A good job on that, Herb.

A much more updated sound than your usual. Good guitar work and harmonies are well done.
A dozen more of these would make a good CD.

floyd

(I don't get not listing RTs to help others out a bit)
Posted By: sslechta Re: Oh Come Emmanuel - 12/10/14 06:01 PM
Wow! I work with that same band. smile That's an RT set I use a lot as well. Love it and the way you mixed your song with it. Nice job.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Oh Come Emmanuel - 12/10/14 06:58 PM
Floyd: Thanks... I try.

Sslechta: Yup.... they're a good bunch of guys to jam with.

SO: To go more in depth on the behind the scenes info....

This was started in BB using the LA Hard Rock style. I deleted or muted all 4 of the original tracks

Bass 995
Real drums LA hard rock
Guitar 999
Guitar 996

the bass and drums in the original tracks were too mushy and not well enough defined for this tune. And while the guitar tracks were OK... they weren't me playing.... so they had to go as well. Sorry PG....

So I generated these instead:

Hammond B3 686
Piano 1564
Real drums hard rock modern even 8
and for bass electric pop shining even held 1253 and electric pop shining even sync 1254. I alternate the bass tracks with envelopes ....even held on the verses and sync on the chorus..... they have different energy levels.

Then I recorded my guitars and vocals.

My guitar is 4 tracks.... 2 are rhythm panned 100% opposite and lower in the mix.... and the 2 leads are higher in the mix....centered on solo and panned 20% on twins. They were mostly recorded on the Mesa Boogie mic'd with the Rode.... volume was low... clean channel. Ultimate Drive stomp box was the only FX in the guitar signal chain.... verb in the box. The second lead was recorded this morning using the POD2 for a slightly different tone. I'm digging the tone I got on this.... finally figgered a few things out.

Vocals.... one lead and 4 harmony tracks.... panned in pairs at 30% and 60% lower but not as low as I generally mix harmonies.

The ending..... major slow down..... I was blown away by the piano as it syncopated itself a bit naturally.... so freaking cool.... My favorite part of the song....

All mixing done in Sonar with surgical envelopes on the keys and some other things.... oh yeah and the secret sauce was applied there as well. (Propitiatory recipe)

I took some liberty with the words and melody to this old classic.

If I forgot anything or you have further questions.... just ask. I don't intend to hide anything about how I do what I do.... I simply use different ways to describe the tracks used. Sorry if it was too cryptic.... hope this clarifies it better.

Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Oh Come Emmanuel - 12/10/14 08:53 PM
Don't believe I know this song BUT I like it! Band fits right in there, vocal sounds great and guitar work is delicious. Very much enjoyed! Take care. Greg
Posted By: MarioD Re: Oh Come Emmanuel - 12/10/14 09:39 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
A good job on that, Herb.

A much more updated sound than your usual. Good guitar work and harmonies are well done.
A dozen more of these would make a good CD.

floyd

A BIG +1

I couldn't say this any better!
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Oh Come Emmanuel - 12/10/14 10:00 PM
Greg.... you probably would recognize it if you heard it sung in a church....at christmas.

Mario..... thanks..... glad you folks are liking this tune. I almost canned it before I got halfway..... another one that I pushed through to finish and then decide what to do with it.
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: Oh Come Emmanuel - 12/10/14 10:01 PM
I really like this style for this song! Very nicely produced piece of music; The lead is outstanding! thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Oh Come Emmanuel - 12/10/14 10:09 PM
Originally Posted By: PgFantastic
I really like this style for this song! Very nicely produced piece of music; The lead is outstanding! thanks for sharing!

thanks... glad you like it. I like the LA HR style for christmas tunes.... I posted Greensleeves that is also this same style... just a few days ago.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Oh Come Emmanuel - 12/11/14 10:02 AM
First time hearing this song, very cool tune. Guitar, Singing, playing = excellent.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Oh Come Emmanuel - 12/11/14 10:28 AM
Excellent arrangement, mix, performance and production. This is top notch.

Always interesting to learn about the artist's work flow. Thanks for providing that for us too.

Charlie
Posted By: pikeyh Re: Oh Come Emmanuel - 12/11/14 12:46 PM
What a rocking traditional song,sounding good and kickin a--e
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Oh Come Emmanuel - 12/11/14 01:14 PM
Hi Herb,

I have never heard this song before. I like what you did, though. There's a great drive and energy flowing through the whole mix.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Oh Come Emmanuel - 12/11/14 01:20 PM
As always, Herb... I like it!
Posted By: RnAM Re: Oh Come Emmanuel - 12/11/14 06:25 PM
Hi Herb,

Although we don't know the original... this is a very good rock song!
Great band and the guitar is very good. Your vocals sound very well.

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: Oh Come Emmanuel - 12/11/14 06:42 PM
Hi Herb

you're great for me.
good song, sound and voice too.
You play the kind of sound I like best here in Italy:
country rock

Hello.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Oh Come Emmanuel - 12/11/14 07:14 PM
Scott: thanks for listening.

Charlie: Glad I could provide a bit of the behind the scenes on how I do things here.

Pikeya: I like to rock things up from time to time. Thanks

Noel: I was trying to make this sound like it was live as opposed to studio....and wanted the raw energy... sounds like it happened.

Pat: As always....thanks

R & AM: I am amazed the number of folks who say they've never heard this song.... it's a traditional Christmas song from the 1800's.

Sergio: I'm a big country rock fan from way back.... as hard as I try, the country always seems to creep into everything I do. Thanks
© PG Music Forums