PG Music Home
Posted By: RnAM 90s room - 12/12/14 06:31 PM
Hello everyone,

This week's song:

90s room

This is a BIAB redo of one of my old recordings: 80s room
I altered a couple of things, updated the lyrics and baptized it to 90s room.
The video is a collection of pictures of that decade.
I honestly have to say that I like the original version best, however I think that this new version showcases BIAB in an entirely different way.
I created the vocoder part with the freeware vocov vst.

Hope you like it, any comments are welcome
Regards,
Rob

Song specifics:
Style is _DANCEPP.STY (Modern Dance Pop [120RS])
1740:Bass, Synth ModernDancePopA-B Ev 120
1746:Synth, Rhythm ModernDancePopChordsA-B Ev 120
1749:Synth, Rhythm ModernDancePopOctave16thsA-B Ev 120
1743:Synth, Rhythm ModernDancePopRaveStringsA-B Ev 120
RealDrums: EuroDance^d-a,b:Bass
Additional Synth: Z3ta+
Additional Drums: Fruity loops

Link to the original version:

80s room
Posted By: MarioD Re: 90s room - 12/12/14 07:21 PM
EXCELLENT

This not only shows your versatility but also shows BiaB versatility.

You did a fantastic job on the video not to mention the pro quality mix you have here.

Two thumbs up!
Posted By: RnAM Re: 90s room - 12/12/14 08:47 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
EXCELLENT

This not only shows your versatility but also shows BiaB versatility.

You did a fantastic job on the video not to mention the pro quality mix you have here.

Two thumbs up!

Thank you Mario!!
Yes, this is definitely the most versatile music creation program around.

Regards,
Rob
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: 90s room - 12/12/14 09:51 PM
Really good production on the audio and video for this one. Both versions are top notch but I preferred 80's Room. It seemed to be more vibrant to me plus I think the song itself seems better suited for the 80's than the 90's. It was a nice trip through both decades though. I enjoyed both songs.

Charlie
Posted By: BruceI Re: 90s room - 12/12/14 11:00 PM
A dark yet fun track with a cool video trip through the 90's, from Smashing Pumpkins to smashing... Iraq (sorry). In the right hands (like yours), BIAB is truly an amazing tool. Not my favorite style of music, but nicely done all around!

Thanks,
Bruce
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: 90s room - 12/12/14 11:46 PM
Great 80s and 90's euro vibe there, Rob! You really nailed the period! I had to stop mid song and go listen to some 80s and 90s bands on youtube. I hear elements of Billy Idol, Simple Minds, New Order, Tears for Fears and Duran Duran. Was there somebody in particular you were trying to emulate?

And yeah, this song is a testimony to you and to BIAB... a lot of versatility in both camps!

I don't know how you hold down a job and still have time to create this much really good music!

how did you create the vocal effects starting at 2:49?

Should we assume that Anne-Marie made the video? (very nice, as usual!... lots of memories from the 90s collected in one place)

Another success!
Posted By: RnAM Re: 90s room - 12/13/14 09:12 AM
Thank you Charlie!

Well, both versions have a different 'drive', I think.
The vibrancy of the original version is mainly due to the Uniretro vst. The arrangement is mostly built upon the arpeggios of this synthesizer.
The new version comes to life especially in the chorus sections. The BIAB realtracks really give a boost here.

By the way: I checked out the new features video of the BIAB 2015 version, some very cool onces there. Especially the 'Hold' feature for real tracks. Very suitable for guitar or piano accents.

Regards,
Rob
Posted By: floyd jane Re: 90s room - 12/13/14 10:51 AM
It's great that someone is using (and posting) the dance tracks from BIAB. Can't imagine what you will do when you get your hands on the loops in 2015... I also can't imagine constructing these kinds of songs since I don't generally listen to them. Kudos for being able to do that.

Good mix. Good vocals (I did wonder a couple of times if they were a little too out front for the style? but don't know the style well enough to say). Also, at one point, I wondered if they should have more processing (echo, maybe). Then your 80's version did...so again - not familiar enough with it to know...

The video was fun. Infectious music - I'm still hearing it in my head...

floyd
Posted By: boehm Re: 90s room - 12/13/14 12:28 PM
Hi Rob and Anne-Marie,
Originally Posted By: c_fogle
Really good production on the audio and video for this one. Both versions are top notch but I preferred 80's Room. It seemed to be more vibrant to me plus I think the song itself seems better suited for the 80's than the 90's. It was a nice trip through both decades though. I enjoyed both songs.

Like Pat I wonder how you get the time for doing all this. Impressive.

Guenter
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: 90s room - 12/13/14 05:22 PM
This is great stuff!! You've captured the feel of that era perfectly. I was listening with cans and struck with the quality of the mix. What kind of DAW, plugins/hardware, mic/pre, etc. are you using? Your mixes are amazing, and this is one of your best! Take care. Greg
Posted By: RnAM Re: 90s room - 12/13/14 07:39 PM
Originally Posted By: BruceI
A dark yet fun track with a cool video trip through the 90's, from Smashing Pumpkins to smashing... Iraq (sorry). In the right hands (like yours), BIAB is truly an amazing tool. Not my favorite style of music, but nicely done all around!

Thanks,
Bruce

Thanks Bruce!
Posted By: RnAM Re: 90s room - 12/13/14 07:52 PM
Hi Pat,

Thank you!
"Was there somebody in particular you were trying to emulate?"
That would be.... Billy Idol
You've made a very nice analysis of the song and my musical influences in it!
I've created the video for both this song, and the original version. If it weren't for my increasing RSI problems, I would have created lots more. But now I have to set some major priorities in my computer work. That would be recording music with Biab.

Regards,
Rob
Posted By: pikeyh Re: 90s room - 12/14/14 06:56 AM
Nice one Rob, I like this a lot, keep rocking.... sounds like a typical 80s to me...in a good way.
Posted By: RnAM Re: 90s room - 12/14/14 07:30 PM
Hi Floyd,

Thanks for your nice comment.
Yes, these kind of styles take a totally different approach concerning vocal FX. On 90's room I tried several FX's on the vocals and finally
chose to keep it relatively natural (well natural..... There is still compressor, delay, chorus and finally some reverb on it).
Talking about these kind of styles.... just wait and see what we have in store for New Year's Eve.... laugh

Rob
Posted By: RnAM Re: 90s room - 12/14/14 07:31 PM
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Rob and Anne-Marie,
Originally Posted By: c_fogle

Like Pat I wonder how you get the time for doing all this. Impressive.

Guenter

Thanks Guenter! (I work part time :D)
Rob
Posted By: RnAM Re: 90s room - 12/14/14 07:35 PM
Thank you Greg!

About the set up: DAW - Cubase 7 AI
Soundcard: Fast track solo (AVID), AKG mic.
Commonly used plugins: Z3ta+, TSLEDGE vst (freeware).

Regards,
Rob
Posted By: RnAM Re: 90s room - 12/14/14 07:36 PM
Originally Posted By: pikeyh
Nice one Rob, I like this a lot, keep rocking.... sounds like a typical 80s to me...in a good way.

Thanks pikeyh!
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: 90s room - 12/14/14 09:27 PM
Rob,

Listened to both 80's Room and 90's Room. Totally different vibes with both. 80's Room seemed to be a little more overt trip through Rob's mind.

In 90's Room around the 2:49 mark what is the sound source, effect you are using and how are you using the effect?

The sound of the synth throughout reminds me of the synth in Patrick Hernadez's Born To Be Alive.

Excellent trip down memory lanes.
Posted By: Steve Young Re: 90s room - 12/14/14 11:33 PM
Rob,

I always look forward to hearing anything you post. I know it's going to be good before I ever hear it. This one is no exception. It shows your versatility as well as BIAB's versatility and strength. Great job on the arrangement, and your vocals shine as usual.

Steve
Posted By: Scott C Re: 90s room - 12/15/14 10:04 AM
Excellent tune. Well done Loved the video as well
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: 90s room - 12/15/14 11:17 AM
We missed that era -- lost in our bluegrass band world
but it is certainly not difficult to immediately see the
talent that is required to put this together. We rarely
work, other than vocals, with more than 3-4 instrumental
tracks...so productions like this when they work as this
one does are extremely impressive to us from a production
perspective. I can't imagine having the tenacity to
put together arrangements like you guys and then you
always ice the cake with the vid.

Really impressive.

J&B
Posted By: RnAM Re: 90s room - 12/15/14 03:50 PM
Hello Jim,

Thank you!.
The part from 2.49 is done with the Vocov vst
Here is the downloadlink:

Vocov vocoder

This plug in requires you to record some samples of your own and import them into the vocoder (some default samples are already included in the download though).

Regards,
Rob
Posted By: RnAM Re: 90s room - 12/15/14 03:51 PM
Hello Steve,

Thanks for your very positive comments.
The feeling is mutual, also looking forward to hearing more songs from you.

Regards,
Rob
Posted By: RnAM Re: 90s room - 12/15/14 03:55 PM
Originally Posted By: Scottt709
Excellent tune. Well done Loved the video as well

Thank you Scott!
Posted By: RnAM Re: 90s room - 12/15/14 03:58 PM
Hi Janice and Bud,

Appreciate this comment, especially since this kind of music is not exactly your style.
Did you guys already check out the new features in the 2015 version?

Regards,
Rob
Posted By: tommyad Re: 90s room - 12/15/14 08:46 PM
R&AM, This surely showcases your versatility and the magic of BiaB. Great mix! Tom
Posted By: gibson Re: 90s room - 12/17/14 01:20 PM
Rob and Anne Marie,

Brilliant, definitely an 80's synth sound. I really liked that era and this captures the sound and vision perfectly.

Very enjoyable.

Alyn
Posted By: RnAM Re: 90s room - 12/17/14 09:46 PM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
R&AM, This surely showcases your versatility and the magic of BiaB. Great mix! Tom

thank you Tom!
Posted By: RnAM Re: 90s room - 12/17/14 09:46 PM
Originally Posted By: gibson
Rob and Anne Marie,

Brilliant, definitely an 80's synth sound. I really liked that era and this captures the sound and vision perfectly.

Very enjoyable.

Alyn

thanks Alyn!
© PG Music Forums