PG Music Home
Posted By: gibson Cold Calls - 12/16/14 05:05 PM
I assume you all get those bloody Cold calls on your house phone and this is my tribute to them. smirk
My first song with 2015.
I got the idea from LPMan and his use of a vocal recorded on the telephone. Brilliant idea as I thought laterally. An apt title by LPMan also Insane as this nearly drove me mad mad .

I had to answer every call on my house phone to get the vocals. All recorded on my Mobile/Cell phone and restored-ish in Soundforge.

I already had the chords as my only instrumental from BIAB and so I added some synth RTs, bounced to ACID express and spliced and diced the calls until I could take no more. Then male vocal back into BIAB and I finetuned the sgu. Mixed in Cubase,

Cold Call

File:paradise 2014.SGU
Soloist track has 448 notes, Soloist harmony is < no harmony >(0)
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Song is saved with bar changes for Volume Changes,

Style is DEEJDADU.STY (DeeJDadu Euro-Tek)
Bass from MIDI file and ProteusFree finger bass.
Soloist using synths from Proteus Free and FM7
RealTracks in song: 2272:Bass, Synth, DiscoPulse Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 2407:Synth, Rhythm JazzFunkPlucky Ev 110
RealTracks in song: 2109:Tres, Rhythm Guaracha Ev 165
RealTracks in song: 900:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming FolkRockWaltz Ev 150
RealTracks in song: 1449:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm GypsyJazzLatinGonzalo Ev 165
RealTracks in song: 1938:Synth, Rhythm, EuroDance Chorus7HitOffBeat Ev16 120
RealDrums in Song: HipHop: a: HipHopb: HipHop
RealTracks in song: 697:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm ElecRockDirty
Drum loop I made 10 years ago cleverly called Drum Loop.

I shall go and lie down now in a darkened room to recover grin

Alyn
Posted By: Scott C Re: Cold Calls - 12/16/14 05:52 PM
Hey Alyn

Very cool tune. Neat use of technology. Loved it
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Cold Calls - 12/16/14 06:42 PM
I got a kick out of this!! Reminds me of how I feel when I get home at night and my phone is beeping. Frenetic music is the perfect compliment. Take care. Greg

BTW, thanks so much for reposting Take me to the Ocean- Pleasant surprise when I heard it start to play!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Cold Calls - 12/16/14 07:06 PM
Hi Alyn,

I have to say that your creativity never ceases to amaze me. You always manage to take music to a different place than most of us who use this forum. I really admire that. If only I had 50% of your imagination ...

I thoroughly enjoyed this one. As Scott said, it's a "neat use of technology". Very clever!

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: sslechta Re: Cold Calls - 12/16/14 07:17 PM
Alyn, very fun. Some of the audio reminded me of the narration bits on Muse's last CD. Love the creativity too.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Cold Calls - 12/16/14 07:45 PM
Call blocking is my friend.....

Lot's to like here! A creative
idea that is extremely well executed.
Taking some RT's to where I'm sure
they've never been before.

And the patience to do it? Man,
I'd never get there.

Kudos!!

J&B
Posted By: FredM Re: Cold Calls - 12/16/14 09:27 PM
Alyn,
You've developed a personal style that I find direct and creative.
This one is a compact and straight forward song. I like the package. Great production !
Grtz

Fred
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Cold Calls - 12/16/14 11:11 PM
Alyn,

So creative! And so fun! Very well done! Thanks for putting this one together!

Steve
Posted By: boehm Re: Cold Calls - 12/17/14 11:21 AM
Hi Alyn,

very clever and elaborate.
You gave me some fun listens.

Guenter
Posted By: MarioD Re: Cold Calls - 12/17/14 12:44 PM
Yes this is very creative but unfortunately very true, at least here. Call blocking isn't doing very much here as I still get a tone of tele-marketers calling.

Excellent song!
Posted By: gibson Re: Cold Calls - 12/17/14 02:09 PM
As I start typing my thanks, the phone started ringing but I ignored it. laugh
I have call blocking but it stills lets those 2 I used a samples through. GRRR!!!

Scott Thanks mate, I am really glad it is finished tho, the samples drove me mad!

Greg Thanks for commenting, Have a good break and catch you next year!!

Noel Thanks! I am glad you enjoyed it. Thankfully we all write in different styles.

Steve (sseleta) Thanks for the comparison to Muse and thanks for listening.

Janice and Bud I too have call blocking but it doesn't seem to block all calls.
Quote:
And the patience to do it? Man, I'd never get there.
Yeh I thought that at about 2 seconds in LOL. I sat at it for 4 hours and will NEVER pick such an annoying sample if I do stuff like this again grin

Alyn
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Cold Calls - 12/17/14 03:09 PM
Alyn,

That is quite a diverse list of RTs.
Plus... the cleverly named "Drum Loop"!
Obviously, a lot of work went into this.

Clever all the way around.

Well done.

Fun.

floyd
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Cold Calls - 12/17/14 09:05 PM
Great idea. Great tune. Sounds like a lot of work to get all the details like you wanted.
Certainly worth it for me..

Charlie
Posted By: RnAM Re: Cold Calls - 12/17/14 09:19 PM
Hello Alyn,

oh yes, this is so very original!!!!
like Floyd said, regarding the amount of real tracks, surely a lot of work must have gone into this.
At times, in the beginning anyway, this kind of reminded me of Flash and the Pan, back in the 80s.
Very well done!

Regards,
Rob
Posted By: tommyad Re: Cold Calls - 12/18/14 10:10 AM
Alyn, I really enjoyed this. No more land lines for me! Very creative and a fun listen. Tom
Posted By: dani48 Re: Cold Calls - 12/18/14 10:31 AM
Hi, Alyn !:))

Seems most has already been said
about this most interesting tune of yours !!:))
I join in with all the superlatives
and add that IMO this is just great and
as they say very, very well put together !!:))

Have a Most Merry Xmas Alyn and
may 2015 for you become the best year ever !!

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: gibson Re: Cold Calls - 12/18/14 01:13 PM
FredW I am glad you enjoyed it.
I look forward to hearing more form you

Steve Thank you so much. I hope next year we hear more of you wonderful songs.

Guenter Thank you so much. The praise coming from such an inventive member of the forum is prasie indeed

Mario I too have call blocking but it let the samples I used through grrr. Thanks for listening.

floyd It was only when you mentioned the RTs that I looked properly at them and flipping heck they are diverse. But then that is the wonder of BIAB.

Glad you enjoyed

Alyn
Posted By: ROG Re: Cold Calls - 12/18/14 08:19 PM
Hi Alyn.

Very clever and very, very, inventive. I can appreciate the amount of work that went into this track.

I'm constantly amazed at your creativity, but I have to say that this is the first track of yours which I haven't listened to more than once! I get too many of those calls as well!

Nice one.

ROG.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Cold Calls - 12/18/14 09:53 PM
Gahhhhh!!!! I hate cold calls..... Now days, I don't have the time or perhaps, more accurately, the patience to mess with them..... I hang up.

Cool song composition..... innovative use of the tools available.
Posted By: gibson Re: Cold Calls - 12/19/14 04:40 AM
Charlie Thanks for listening. It was a lot of work, mainly mentally as the sample voice REALLY annoyed me towards the end LOL

Rob Yeh a lot of work and I soon regretted starting it because of the samples. As you mention it I now see the Flash and the Pan similarity. The Young family from Australia/Scotland have some good musicians Angus and Malcolm with ACDC and George in Flash and the pan and originally The Easybeats.
Thanks for listening.

Tom I only have a landline because of the Internet package I have but I used to enjoy some cold calls as I tried to annoy the live ones and make them slam the phone down on me!!
Glad you enjoyed

Dani Thanks for listening and I wish you all the best for Christmas also and look forward to your productions next year.

ROG It is the ONLY song I have written that I CANNOT listen to now, those calls REALLY irritate me, but as I said to Tom the live ones can be fun to wind up. But I have grown out of that now.

Herb Thanks for listening. I can quite safely say I won't be doing another like that for a while LOL

Alyn
Posted By: Sundance Re: Cold Calls - 12/21/14 11:29 PM
Alyn,

This is so creative. And what a great job fitting it to the track - now that is patience.

My head was spinning by the end - where's that darkened room....grin

Josie
Posted By: gibson Re: Cold Calls - 12/22/14 01:39 AM
Josie,

the tune took time initially BUT 4 hours for the vocals was enough.

Hold a cold compress to the forehead helps LOL

Alyn
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Cold Calls - 12/22/14 09:18 AM
This song has been posted for almost a week, I don't know how I missed it until today!

That was very well done! I like "concept projects" in which the composer starts with a specific idea s/he wants to convey, then goes about the business of building a composition that has all the right elements!

In this case, the elements were pretty simple: snippets of actual phone invasions, and a backing track that stirs approximately the same level of audio anxiety! I especially liked the way you cut and pasted the same sound bytes over and over again, because that makes an accurate statement about the problem as most of us see it.

Irritating as it is, there is value in mentioning that most of the people on the other end of the phone are regular folks who are desperate enough to violate their own sense of propriety while being paid practically nothing. In spite of the overwhelming urge to verbally abuse them for bothering us... they aren't the enemy. The enemy, I suppose, is the company that decided this is a good way to market their products.

After having been desperate enough to try that job at one point in my life, I used to try exiting such calls gracefully while maintaining the caller's dignity. But they are trained to exploit that. The most effective and least harmful solution is what Herb does. Just hang up. Cussing somebody who is earning minimum wage and hating his job already accomplishes nothing except to slay the messenger.

Anyway, that's my personal rant...

GREAT project! I thoroughly enjoyed it! You are a very creative man, Alyn!
Posted By: gibson Re: Cold Calls - 12/23/14 06:32 AM
Pat,

My son has worked in call centers also and found it a soul destroying job.
The ones I REALLY dislike are the ones from a foreign country who give a false name prior to starting. for example I recently had a male voice tell me his name was Angela.
To start with such a lie is a great no no!

Anyway glad you enjoyed. laugh mad grin

Alyn
Posted By: sixchannel Re: Cold Calls - 12/23/14 06:26 PM
Hi Alyn
what a clever idea.
I hope that getting it out of your system has made you feel better. It certainly made me smile.
Happy Christmas
Ian
Posted By: gibson Re: Cold Calls - 12/24/14 09:13 AM
Quote:
I hope that getting it out of your system has made you feel better.

yup!!

Glad you enjoyed

Have a good Christmas, Ian.

Alyn
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Cold Calls - 12/26/14 03:38 PM
Clever and very skillfully done. At last someone found a good reason to even listen to the calls.
Posted By: gibson Re: Cold Calls - 12/28/14 06:30 AM
Jim,
Quote:
At last someone found a good reason to even listen to the calls.

I am back to ignoring the calls now thankfully!!

Thanks for listening

Alyn
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Cold Calls - 01/02/15 11:41 AM
Alyn,
You nailed it. This really captures the feeling evoked by these calls.
SD
Posted By: gibson Re: Cold Calls - 01/04/15 06:05 AM
SD,

Quote:
You nailed it. This really captures the feeling evoked by these calls.

You got annoyed listening to it as well laugh grin

Thanks for commenting

Alyn
Posted By: dcuny Re: Cold Calls - 01/04/15 11:07 PM
Like. smile

-- David
Posted By: receder Re: Cold Calls - 01/05/15 09:17 AM
Alyn,

Original and creative. I enjoyed this a lot.
I'm going to play this one back to the next cold call I get (evil grin smile

Rec
© PG Music Forums