PG Music Home
Posted By: boehm Lollie 1 - 12/26/14 03:10 PM
Lollie 1

Hi all,

this time the vocals are made with Harmor from FL-Studio and Presets Lollievox.
That means I can’t use my own lyrics but am dependent on the text snippets they
offer.
(http://www.image-line.com/content/Preset+Content/LollieVox+Vocals+Resynthesized)
So there is not much choice for lyrics in the future. But I was offered a special pricing.
And 19 € were worth it.
The samples are all sung on one note. The rhythm is given and inspires me for my own tune.
The voice follows the velocity and the pitch of a MIDI file. You only must find the starting points of the different words. Even harmonies are possible in one go.
It was a nice experience and a lot of fun experimenting with the resynthesized vocals.
I’ll try two or three other songs with it, then it will be exhausted.
For comparison I made a version with Vocaloid Avanna, but I don’t like that so much.
(If you are interested here it is: https://soundcloud.com/boehmusic/lollie-1-avanna-version)
The lyrics don’t make much sense. That’s life.

“They say you can fall in love eight times in a row oh no
Until you think you finally had enough
I awoke with this thought in my head
Live learn and don't look back”

RTs used:
RT464_ Bass, Acoustic, Bossa Ev 140
RT470_ Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm Bossa Ev 140
RT2146_Sax, Alto, Soloist BossaPhil Ev 140 (Bluesy)
RealDrums-BossaTerryClarke^6-Blstix,Stks

https://soundcloud.com/boehmusic/lollie-1

I hope you enjoy
Guenter
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Lollie 1 - 12/26/14 03:24 PM
To my ears the Avanna version sounds more realistic than the Lollie version, mainly because of the inflections inherent within the words.
Posted By: RnAM Re: Lollie 1 - 12/26/14 06:18 PM
Hi Guenter,

The Avanna version definitely sounds much better, but is of course very expensive sick .
Anyway... very well done.

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Lollie 1 - 12/26/14 07:43 PM
The second is much more "human". I really like the second tune! Very nice feel. Take care. Greg
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Lollie 1 - 12/26/14 08:59 PM
Hi Guenter

Really like the creativity you put into your songs. Nice mix and smooth sound.

I thought Avanna was the better track too actually. Thanks for sharing!

Trev
Posted By: Digital Angel Re: Lollie 1 - 12/26/14 10:58 PM
This combo has great potential for the not so faint of heart.

A few years into the future and we will have virtual singers to audition, can't wait!

DA...
Posted By: Scott C Re: Lollie 1 - 12/27/14 10:30 AM
Very neat use of technology. Song is very creative. Remember back in the late 60's guitar players would route the sound of their guitar to a speaker in a bag then up a tube and into their mouth. We have come a long way...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Lollie 1 - 12/27/14 11:32 AM
Guenter,

Going against the grain, I guess... I like Lollie 1 over Avanna's version. Lollie has a "brighter, fresher, younger" feel to it that fits the song nicely. Avanna sounds "more mature, laid-back-jazzier". After hearing Lollie, Avanna seemed "a bit too comfortable".

But, I listened more to the music than the lyrics. It is spectacular. Are the listed RTs all that is included? The mix is top-notch. The overall pace and sound is professional at every turn. Crystal clear. The sax is snuggled into the mix so nicely. The bass articulates so well. The drums supportive and dynamic at the same time.

A wonderful listening experience.

floyd
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Lollie 1 - 12/27/14 12:47 PM
Floyd pretty much summed up our thoughts on this one.
The use of Lollie and Avanna is fascinating, creative
and makes one ponder where this technology will
end up; however, the essence for us of this tune is
the mix. It has a pro studio sound on my monitors
and a soundstage that is perfect.

You are one of a very few who present mixes like
this. I admire them and continue to strive for that
sound.

Congrats on another both brilliant and provocative
production.

J&B
Posted By: tommyad Re: Lollie 1 - 12/27/14 03:27 PM
Guenter, I like them both. I agree with floyd that the mix is superb and pretty much takes center stage. Great listen. Keep them coming! Your experimentation is always exciting to hear. Tom
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Lollie 1 - 12/27/14 06:03 PM
Hi Guenter,

What great, inspirational musical invention!

Something that you do over and over again with your outstanding compositions and arrangements is to push the boundaries of musical possibility. Every time I listen to a boehm creation, my head spins with new ideas. You inspire me to be more adventurous with my own compositions.

Regarding "Lollie", the mixing is perfect, your understanding of arranging jazz is top notch and your creativity shines brightly.

In relation to the vocaloids, I agree with floyd when he said...
Originally Posted By: "floyd"
I like Lollie 1 over Avanna's version. Lollie has a "brighter, fresher, younger" feel to it that fits the song nicely. Avanna sounds "more mature, laid-back-jazzier". After hearing Lollie, Avanna seemed "a bit too comfortable".

All the best for 2015!
Noel
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Lollie 1 - 12/27/14 11:21 PM
I always look forward to what's coming next from you. Your mixes and arrangements are only out done by your creativity. Excellent job on this.

Charlie
Posted By: FredM Re: Lollie 1 - 12/28/14 04:48 AM
HiGuenter,
Congrats with another fine song. Indeed the mix is the star of your work. I like the bossa feel very much. It made me dance (when no-one was looking smile
I liked the lollie version. The voice effect made me think of the auto tune Cher song. It fits perfectly with the bossa feel.
Anyway, looking forward to your posts in 2015!
G
Fred
Posted By: gibson Re: Lollie 1 - 12/28/14 06:49 AM
Guenter,

Quote:
Going against the grain, I guess... I like Lollie 1 over Avanna's version. Lollie has a "brighter, fresher, younger" feel to it that fits the song nicely. Avanna sounds "more mature, laid-back-jazzier". After hearing Lollie, Avanna seemed "a bit too comfortable".

A wonderful listening experience.

I can add no more to what floyd has said.
Both versions are beautiful but I too lean towards Lollie's version.

I then wondered what they would sound like together in one tune!

I do hope you have another inventive and productive year!

Alyn
Posted By: Rafa T Re: Lollie 1 - 12/28/14 09:02 AM
Hi Guenter, Your songs are always interesting and a with a original touch . Beautiful melody and nice arrangement and mixing.
At first my favorite was Avanna,but after several listens I've settled on Lollie,... has something "spicy" special.
Thanks for share!
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Lollie 1 - 12/28/14 10:47 AM
Guenter,

I'm late to the party because for some reason I've been having trouble getting SoundCloud to play. If it continues, I may have to stop commenting on any songs that are posted to Sound Cloud... (I mention that in advance so people don't think I'm ignoring their songs on purpose.. but there is a very high likelihood that I'm just going to boycott SC)

I thought the two versions sounded quite different even though only the voice changed! Regarding the synth voices, both are interesting. The new one reminds me of the way a human voice sounds with the Cher effect applied. Avanna is a more sophisticated application of technology that more closely resembles a human voice... but you could probably get a song with Lollie on pop radio without having anyone realize its not a person singing thru vocal processing.

Once again, I am impressed by your innovative thinking and your ability to take completely new ideas and make them work very well the first time you use them in a project! I look forward to heard what you come up with in 2015!
Posted By: boehm Re: Lollie 1 - 12/28/14 11:29 AM
Hi Jim, Rob & Anne-Marie, Greg, Trevor, DA and Scott,

thanks a lot for listening and commenting.

Guenter
Posted By: boehm Re: Lollie 1 - 12/28/14 11:37 AM
Hi Floyd,

"Lollie has a "brighter, fresher, younger" feel to it that fits the song nicely... After hearing Lollie, Avanna seemed "a bit too comfortable"."

Exactly. I'd say Lollie has more "bite".

"Are the listed RTs all that is included?"

Yes. I played around with some horns first, but finally dropped them.

Thanks a lot for your most kind comments on the mix.

Guenter
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Lollie 1 - 12/28/14 11:37 AM
Pat, that would be so disappointing not to have your insight on forum songs because of SC issues. What a bummer. Most songs post through SC. Hopefully some little setting quirk within your OS. If you have a smart phone or Ipad, Kindle fire or similar, use that for SC access. Older version Iphones, touch's, tablets can be really cheap on Craigslist. As the Food Lion lion says, that's my $.02 worth.
Posted By: boehm Re: Lollie 1 - 12/28/14 11:41 AM
Hi Janice & Bud, Tommy, Noel and Charlie,

thanks a lot for listening and your most kind words.

Guenter
Posted By: boehm Re: Lollie 1 - 12/28/14 11:48 AM
Hi Fred,

thanks a lot for listening and your most kind comments.
Originally Posted By: FredM
The voice effect made me think of the auto tune Cher song.

Exactly. That's how the thing works. The words are sung on one note and get tuned via midi.

Guenter
Posted By: boehm Re: Lollie 1 - 12/28/14 11:53 AM
Hi Alyn,

"I then wondered what they would sound like together in one tune!"
I tried that, too. But it would have been too much to publish that.

I do hope you have another inventive and productive year!
Same to you.

Guenter
Posted By: boehm Re: Lollie 1 - 12/28/14 11:56 AM
Hi Rafa,

Guenter
Posted By: boehm Re: Lollie 1 - 12/28/14 12:04 PM
Hi Pat,

Quote:

.. but there is a very high likelihood that I'm just going to boycott SC)

Dare you! Like Charlie said, that would be very disappointing not to have your insight on forum songs because of SC issues.

Quote:
The new one reminds me of the way a human voice sounds with the Cher effect applied.

See my answer to Fred.

Happy New Year.
Guenter
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Lollie 1 - 01/02/15 11:59 AM
Guenter,
It's always a tutorial listening to and examining your compositions. I find vocaloids interesting but somewhat intimidating. I guess I felt the same way when I first saw a Moog synthesizer.
I really like the underlying melody and accompaniment.
SD
Posted By: boehm Re: Lollie 1 - 01/02/15 10:08 PM
Hi SD,

thanks for your kind words.
Why aren't you afraid of BiaB?
Isn't it kind of an instrumental vocaloid? Let's see what's coming next.

Guenter
Posted By: dcuny Re: Lollie 1 - 01/03/15 02:29 AM
Hi, Guenter.

SoundCloud is finally working for me again. I sent it a number of emails, but so far only saw automated replies. I'm hoping it stays working.

The song is a fun mix, although I kept feeling the need to clear my throat of phlegm when the vocals would glitch. wink

Originally Posted By: guenter

The lyrics don’t make much sense. That’s life.

Ha! Noting that Vocaloids often sound better in a languages I don't know (because I'm listening for different features), I've been tempted to put together a song using nonsense words with Avanna. There's a new Vocaloid called Ruby that should be coming out Real Soon Now that's got a much more aggressive voice than Avanna. I don't think she'll be my cup of tea, but possibly a good match for you! laugh

-- David
Posted By: boehm Re: Lollie 1 - 01/03/15 01:33 PM
Hi David,

thanks for taking the time to listen and comment.
I'm looking forward to hearing the final version of Ruby.

Guenter
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Lollie 1 - 01/03/15 04:44 PM
Hi Guenter
A very enjoyable listen. Great job and always so creative.
Posted By: dani48 Re: Lollie 1 - 01/04/15 04:59 AM
Hi, Guenter !:))

Home from Spain (I could and maybe
I should have stayed there for a longer
period) back to this cold and dark but
sweet corner I call my home again !:))

I also liked both versions but maybe
The Alannas a little more ! :)) Would
be really nice to meet them, maybe
next summer in Karlsruhe ?? (LOL) !

The best of years for you Guenter !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: receder Re: Lollie 1 - 01/04/15 09:07 AM
Very interesting, and very "pleasing to the ears". Thanks Guenter.
It reminded me a little of when I watched Cleo Laine and Johhny Dankworth at the Stables in my youth.

I like both versions but I think the Avanna version is more suited to the style of song.
I must look into Vocaloid and Harmor. Does the latter work with any DAW or just FL?

Best wishes,
Rec
Posted By: boehm Re: Lollie 1 - 01/05/15 01:37 PM
Hi Joanne, Dani and Rec,

thanks a lot for taking the time to listen and comment.

@Dani: Qui vivra, verra.

@Rec: Harmor is a VSTi and works in any environment.

Guenter
© PG Music Forums