PG Music Home
Posted By: floyd jane She Makes It Look Easy - 01/03/15 01:40 PM
Happy New Year, Y'all!!!

Let's line up a few guitars...

RealTracks in style: ~519:Bass, Electric, Pop HalfNotes Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 380:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Syncopated Sugar Ev 102
RealTracks in song: 998:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm HardRockLACrispSync Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 997:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm HardRockLACrispArp Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 805:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm DrivingCountryBalladClean Ev 065 (B:held)
RealTracks in song: 1000:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm HardRockLAFuzzyHeld Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 1513:Guitar, Electric, Soloist CountryBrent Ev 065
RealTracks in song: ~669:Guitar, Slide, Background EasySouthern Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 1260:Guitar, Electric, Soloist PopShining Ev 120
RealDrums in style: NashvilleEven8^6-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, HiHat Open

SHE MAKES IT LOOK EASY

no one likes leaving somebody hurt
broken-hearted and crying
you try everything to make it work
sometimes you can't stop love from dying
piece by piece it rips you up inside
it's a hard thing to say goodbye

she makes it look easy
   like it's a natural thing to do
   she makes it look easy
   tearing my world in two
   i never thought she had it in her to do it
   she walked away like there was nothing to it
   she's breaking my heart
   and she makes it look easy

friday nights she's stepping out
she's with somebody new
carrying on in a corner booth
the way that we used to
it's killing me she's moved on
acting like there's nothing wrong

she makes it look easy
   she makes it look easy
   tearing my world in two
   she's breaking my heart

she's breaking my heart
   she's breaking my heart

Comments welcomed and encouraged.
Thanks for listening.

floyd
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: She Makes It Look Easy - 01/03/15 02:13 PM
Wow Floyd, I really like this song, really think it's a great mix between the vocals and instruments levels. I would like to hear a touch more bass. It is the only thing sitting back in the mix to me. This is some of your best vocals I've heard, and the backing vocals are spot on. You've got the Tom Adams drums thumpin' --- Nice.

It seems you mastered this song differently than others in the recent path. The overall level is higher and the high end EQ is much brighter and becomes somewhat harsh with the volume turned up. Doesn't effect how much I enjoyed this song and the fact of how professionally the instrumentation and vocals, lead and background were done.

Overall, another outstanding job.

Charlie
Posted By: gibson Re: She Makes It Look Easy - 01/03/15 02:30 PM
floyd

You make it look easy, like it's a natural thing to do cool
Yep I believe that, excellent track.
As Charlie says the mix seems very clear, a good mix between you and the backing.

I like the effect at 2.55ish when the 2 solos play and it sounded to me that someone ad-libed something in the background. I re-listened to it a few times and it is the 2 guitars BUT....

You hit 2015 with the bar set high laugh

Alyn
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: She Makes It Look Easy - 01/03/15 02:36 PM
Ha, ha -- eight (count 'em) real track guitars in there!! You make it sound so easy, but your songs never sound like they are BIAB. The nuances and subtleties that you (supposedly) can only get from real playing are always there in your mixes. I don't know how you do it, but it sounds great.

Fine lyrics and super vocals, too.
Posted By: dcuny Re: She Makes It Look Easy - 01/03/15 03:00 PM
Hi, floyd.

So much to like here! Solid writing with the typical grace you bring to the lyrics. There's a nice interplay between short and long lines that propels the song ahead. I like the way the chorus starts out like a list, which allows repetition of the title as well as setting up an abab form only to have you unbalance things with a pair of cc lines, which allows the chorus to end with another repeat of the title. Slick and solid, but it comes across as natural.

The concept is clever as well, building sympathy for the singer without vilifying the ex and not making the singer sound whiney. She's not a bad person, it's just that he can't let go. Nicely done.

Add to that some great singing, instrumentation and mix and you've got me sounding like a fanboy.

Your style is entirely different than mine, but I'm taking notes and stealing whatever ideas I can! smile

-- David
Posted By: ROG Re: She Makes It Look Easy - 01/03/15 03:23 PM
Hi Floyd.

How is it that no one has mentioned the Eagles yet? Surely I'm not the only one transported back to the days of "Peaceful Easy Feeling" and "Lying Eyes".

This is classy stuff. So many guitar RTs in there and yet it doesn't sound over-produced at all. Everything comes and goes just as it should do and the overall impression is of a band that has played together for many years.

Great vocals as usual and super harmony and BVs which seemed more prominent this time.

We don't mention the mix any more, do we?

And yes, I put it up on the big Tannoys and it ROCKED.

ROG.
Posted By: BruceI Re: She Makes It Look Easy - 01/03/15 03:58 PM
I couldn't remember if this one was from "On the Border" or "One of These Nights," but then it hit me that it's not the Eagles at all!

Wow, Floyd, what an awesome track!

I couldn't help but think Eagles after just a few seconds. But it actually sounds like a great original tune that happens to have a few Eagles-like characteristics (which I happen to love).

Hard to believe all those guitars are playing so well together and are all BIAB! Solid and driving. Great mix (maybe a tad more bass). But the vocals really seal the deal. Very smooth and tight.

Good start to the year! Third listen now...

Thanks,
Bruce
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: She Makes It Look Easy - 01/03/15 04:09 PM
Hi Floyd - This is up to your usual high standard. Just as I have come to expect every time I press play on one of your new songs. Just love your mixes and your vocals are just wonderful. You keep us all going on this forum. You make it look so easy!
Posted By: FredM Re: She Makes It Look Easy - 01/03/15 05:29 PM
Floyd,
Here goes...
One could hear a fairly straightforward song structure, lyrics, melody lines. Like the last one, just a simple song, a decievingly simple song that keeps playing it's tune long after the headphones have gone off.
Floyd, I bet you had a lot of fun putting all these guitars in place, in line, in the right sequence. Vocals and mix nicely balanced. (and needless to say well sung) A challenge to showcase the possibilities of BIAB, putting layer on layer on layer... and making it sound all natural. That's the main goal of this forum I suppose, and you did a great job, again smile
Don't like to be in the shoes of the storyteller tough frown
G
Fred
Posted By: floyd jane Re: She Makes It Look Easy - 01/03/15 06:04 PM
Originally Posted By: c_fogle
Wow Floyd, I really like this song, really think it's a great mix between the vocals and instruments levels. I would like to hear a touch more bass. It is the only thing sitting back in the mix to me. This is some of your best vocals I've heard, and the backing vocals are spot on. You've got the Tom Adams drums thumpin' --- Nice.

It seems you mastered this song differently than others in the recent path. The overall level is higher and the high end EQ is much brighter and becomes somewhat harsh with the volume turned up. Doesn't effect how much I enjoyed this song and the fact of how professionally the instrumentation and vocals, lead and background were done.

Overall, another outstanding job.

Charlie

Charlie - Thanks for pointing that out. I had originally mixed this some time ago and remixed it this morning before I posted it and had neglected the bass - I was tweaking the drums, harmonies and solos and the bass got lost in the dust. I did another mix to bring the bass up. I also dropped the hi EQ some in the mastering process. It has been uploaded but I haven't been able to hear it yet because my cache won't flush - even though I go through the steps to do that - it will eventually.....
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: She Makes It Look Easy - 01/03/15 06:21 PM
On a forum of such skilled listeners, it's hard not to repeat things when you don't there early. I also hear a lot of Eagles (And I love the Eagles). I think it really hits with that solo at the first chorus (I'm guessing that's the shining pop soloist), and the BGs really reinforce it. The production is excellent, and all the guitars work beautifully together. If I was going to play with anything, I might make the BGs a little louder and/or boosted in the highs, and/or possibly a little wetter. They sound great but I feel they could be brought out a bit more somehow. As for the songwriting....Masterful! Another excellent tune, expertly delivered!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: She Makes It Look Easy - 01/03/15 07:48 PM
Superb lyrics, outstanding vocal performance and the mix is superb as usual. thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: She Makes It Look Easy - 01/03/15 10:03 PM
So many cool things about this.... Loved Brent's solo where he switched from solo to dual notes and back... something I enjoy doing as well...

The mixing of clean and dirty tracks was well done.

It's not easy to have 8 guitar tracks and end up with a clean well balanced mix as you did with this. the tendency of most folks would be to try to use the guitars more.... I like that you used restraint. The right thing at the right time. The interesting thing is that there were obviously so many different ways you could have mixed this and none of them would have been wrong, better or worse... just different.

The slide at the end was perfectly placed.

Overall writing was good as was the vox.

Great way to start the new year off the right way.

Edit: there was one thing that stood out to me. In the pause between the first verse into the chorus, everything's as smooth as it needs to be.... when it comes around again on the second verse...pause...chorus.... the first chorus chord is rushed slightly.

Oh yeah... that slide has a definite David Lindley vibe to it..... Jackson Brown... Running on Empty album..... If you haven't heard that album.... do yourself a huge favor....get it.

Edit 2: did I mention I like this song alot?
Posted By: dani48 Re: She Makes It Look Easy - 01/04/15 05:16 AM
Hi, Floyd !:))

I simply love everything
about this song, it is so
well written, sung, played,
put together and produced !
Especially I like the vocal
harmony parts, they are just
great !:))One of your best if not
the best ? :))

Just great Floyd !!!:))

Cheers
Dani the Spaniard in spe
Posted By: floyd jane Re: She Makes It Look Easy - 01/04/15 12:01 PM
Originally Posted By: gibson
floyd
You make it look easy, like it's a natural thing to do cool
Yep I believe that, excellent track.
As Charlie says the mix seems very clear, a good mix between you and the backing.

I like the effect at 2.55ish when the 2 solos play and it sounded to me that someone ad-libed something in the background. I re-listened to it a few times and it is the 2 guitars BUT....

You hit 2015 with the bar set high laugh Alyn

ad-libed.. smile that's the way it SHOULD sound, eh? it was just a trick to make you re-listen a few times smile thanks, Alyn...

Originally Posted By: Kemmrich
Ha, ha -- eight (count 'em) real track guitars in there!! You make it sound so easy, but your songs never sound like they are BIAB. The nuances and subtleties that you (supposedly) can only get from real playing are always there in your mixes. I don't know how you do it, but it sounds great.

Fine lyrics and super vocals, too.

Thanks for dropping in, Kevin... I think getting those "nuances and subtleties" from the BIAB tracks is pretty easy. I consider BIAB to be a stable of studio players who will give me professional sounding tracks - if I know what to "ask for". Guitar based songs, like this one are the hardest because there are SO many options. It can be overwhelming because you can find a lot of different things that seems to work. Whittling down to bare essential is the hard part. Part of your perception might be from the leads in the chorus. In a case like this, I find something that works (as fills) and then use the same thing in the other choruses - the way a guy in the studio would - a repeat of the sound theme. If you leave what is originally generated, it will sound good, but not coherent in context - and will give that sense of "the software doing it all".. hope that made sense...
Posted By: rsdean Re: She Makes It Look Easy - 01/04/15 12:26 PM
Hey Floyd,

This is just great - sounds like it could be on the radio. My favorite of your songs so far...

Bob
Posted By: floyd jane Re: She Makes It Look Easy - 01/04/15 12:32 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Hi, floyd.

So much to like here! Solid writing with the typical grace you bring to the lyrics. There's a nice interplay between short and long lines that propels the song ahead. I like the way the chorus starts out like a list, which allows repetition of the title as well as setting up an abab form only to have you unbalance things with a pair of cc lines, which allows the chorus to end with another repeat of the title. Slick and solid, but it comes across as natural.

The concept is clever as well, building sympathy for the singer without vilifying the ex and not making the singer sound whiney. She's not a bad person, it's just that he can't let go. Nicely done.

Add to that some great singing, instrumentation and mix and you've got me sounding like a fanboy.

Your style is entirely different than mine, but I'm taking notes and stealing whatever ideas I can! smile

-- David

...and so much to like about your "review". Your thoughts/understanding of what makes a lyric work are good reading - much like Noel's (when he happens by). You hit on a good point regarding the context that you put your "target" in.. The whiny, vindictive, vengeful thing - which can occur often with some writers - is a very bad place to write from. I did a bunch of those when I was young (and whiny and vengeful). They don't work. And no one wants to hear that... Steal away - I may be stealing your thing about the nonsense-syllable-Phil Collins thing to get a lyric started - it sounds like fun...

Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Floyd.

How is it that no one has mentioned the Eagles yet? Surely I'm not the only one transported back to the days of "Peaceful Easy Feeling" and "Lying Eyes".

This is classy stuff. So many guitar RTs in there and yet it doesn't sound over-produced at all. Everything comes and goes just as it should do and the overall impression is of a band that has played together for many years.

Great vocals as usual and super harmony and BVs which seemed more prominent this time.

We don't mention the mix any more, do we?

And yes, I put it up on the big Tannoys and it ROCKED. ROG.

ROG - Thanks. Always good to know they sound good on the big boys...The Eagles thing was not an original intent - it just happened/evolved... I knew the opening rhythm that I wanted
380:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Syncopated Sugar Ev 102
998:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm HardRockLACrispSync Ev 120
...with a simple bass and hard hitting snare gave me that.
The harmonies were much the same as I always do, although I added in some BIABettes with my own. The Oooohs (in the chorus) seemed like the way to go and really start to give you that Eagles thing.
1513:Guitar, Electric, Soloist CountryBrent Ev 065 worked for the song as fills - and it, too, turned out to lend that Eagles flavor (again, unintentional). The solo guitar that I used in the middle (1260:Guitar, Electric, Soloist PopShining Ev 120) sounded very repetitive for the outro, so I threw in the slide "echos" to give it some variety - and that immediately hit me like a Felder/Walsh combo.... So it just kept building into a very Eagles-sounding production...
Posted By: boehm Re: She Makes It Look Easy - 01/04/15 02:31 PM
Hi Floyd,

I'm a fan!
No time for commenting. Must get back to listen.

Guenter
Posted By: receder Re: She Makes It Look Easy - 01/05/15 04:02 PM
Hi Floyd,

That is some achievement and probably my favourite song so far in my short time on these forums!

I echo all the other positive comments. I am also amazed at how you make it sound like it was played by a band rather than a bunch of RTs strung together. Great skills. Thanks for sharing.

Rec
Posted By: Sundance Re: She Makes It Look Easy - 01/05/15 06:12 PM
+1 Always a sucker for those Eaglesque oooo's. Great listen FJ.

Josie
Posted By: sslechta Re: She Makes It Look Easy - 01/05/15 06:38 PM
Agree with the Eagles and "Running on Empty" comments. Really hear that vibe to it.

Love the production quality Floyd. Helps us to strive for that kind of good recording.
Posted By: FredM Re: She Makes It Look Easy - 01/05/15 07:50 PM
Hi Floyd,
Just noticed you got a facebook link on the PG page!
Well earned!
G
F
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: She Makes It Look Easy - 01/05/15 09:25 PM
YOU make it look so easy. Come on....eight guitar tracks
that seamlessly fit in the arrangement and the mix?
I wanna be able to do that when I grow up. You're upping
the RT numbers exponentiallyand making it work. While I'm
paring them down to a, for me, manageable level...that'd be about
15% of your norm smile

And then we get to the lyric, the melody and the vocals.
Eaglesque as mentioned but with the signature fj stamp all over it.
IMHO, "signature" is a helluva achievement for a musician
operating at ANY tier. You have it Mr. jane -- two bars and you know
it's a fj tune....and I know at least 4 playlists this one is gonna soon
be on (;

Kudos!!

J&B
Posted By: tommyad Re: She Makes It Look Easy - 01/06/15 11:46 AM
floyd, Rockin snare sound! Love the eagles type oohs and harmonies. The first guitar turnaround fits like an old shoe. Great idea on the outro with guitar/slide interplay. The usual stellar pro mix/master. Once again you hit the mark. You are the one who makes it look easy! Tom
Posted By: floyd jane Re: She Makes It Look Easy - 01/06/15 01:24 PM
Originally Posted By: BruceI
I couldn't remember if this one was from "On the Border" or "One of These Nights," but then it hit me that it's not the Eagles at all!

Wow, Floyd, what an awesome track!

I couldn't help but think Eagles after just a few seconds. But it actually sounds like a great original tune that happens to have a few Eagles-like characteristics (which I happen to love).

Hard to believe all those guitars are playing so well together and are all BIAB! Solid and driving. Great mix (maybe a tad more bass). But the vocals really seal the deal. Very smooth and tight.

Good start to the year! Third listen now...Thanks, Bruce

Bruce - thanks for all of that... I would imagine we (meaning us forumites) were/are all Eagles fans... I did go back and up the bass - thanks...

Originally Posted By: JosieC
Hi Floyd - This is up to your usual high standard. Just as I have come to expect every time I press play on one of your new songs. Just love your mixes and your vocals are just wonderful. You keep us all going on this forum. You make it look so easy!

Thanks, Joanne... this is such a terrific community..

Originally Posted By: FredM
Floyd,
Here goes...
One could hear a fairly straightforward song structure, lyrics, melody lines. Like the last one, just a simple song, a decievingly simple song that keeps playing it's tune long after the headphones have gone off.
Floyd, I bet you had a lot of fun putting all these guitars in place, in line, in the right sequence. Vocals and mix nicely balanced. (and needless to say well sung) A challenge to showcase the possibilities of BIAB, putting layer on layer on layer... and making it sound all natural. That's the main goal of this forum I suppose, and you did a great job, again smile
Don't like to be in the shoes of the storyteller tough frown
G
Fred

Thanks, Fred. I appreciate that. The best thing about this forum is seeing how everyone uses the software and how they put things together. Ideas flying around all over the place....
Posted By: floyd jane Re: She Makes It Look Easy - 01/07/15 02:10 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
On a forum of such skilled listeners, it's hard not to repeat things when you don't there early. I also hear a lot of Eagles (And I love the Eagles). I think it really hits with that solo at the first chorus (I'm guessing that's the shining pop soloist), and the BGs really reinforce it. The production is excellent, and all the guitars work beautifully together. If I was going to play with anything, I might make the BGs a little louder and/or boosted in the highs, and/or possibly a little wetter. They sound great but I feel they could be brought out a bit more somehow. As for the songwriting....Masterful! Another excellent tune, expertly delivered!! Take care. Greg

Thanks, Greg. The early guitar parts are all
1513:Guitar, Electric, Soloist CountryBrent Ev 065
- using it in Half-Time since it is 65 bpm in a 120 bpm song.
I think that is the reason it seem to fit so nicely.
The shining pop soloist is the "dirtier" one that comes later and in the outro...
The BGVs are a combination of me and the BIABettes (generated harmonies). You can't let the generated harmonies get too loud or you start to hear those robot-chipmunk singers. If you add too much reverb to them, they fall back too far, so you have to raise the level again, and again start to hear the artifacts - so it's all a fine line you walk when mixing it all.... this was the best balance I could get from the combination of 2 of me and 4 of them...

Originally Posted By: PgFantastic
Superb lyrics, outstanding vocal performance and the mix is superb as usual. thanks for sharing!

Thanks for dropping by, Robert!

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
So many cool things about this.... Loved Brent's solo where he switched from solo to dual notes and back... something I enjoy doing as well...

The mixing of clean and dirty tracks was well done.

It's not easy to have 8 guitar tracks and end up with a clean well balanced mix as you did with this. the tendency of most folks would be to try to use the guitars more.... I like that you used restraint. The right thing at the right time. The interesting thing is that there were obviously so many different ways you could have mixed this and none of them would have been wrong, better or worse... just different.

The slide at the end was perfectly placed.

Overall writing was good as was the vox.

Great way to start the new year off the right way.

Edit: there was one thing that stood out to me. In the pause between the first verse into the chorus, everything's as smooth as it needs to be.... when it comes around again on the second verse...pause...chorus.... the first chorus chord is rushed slightly.

Oh yeah... that slide has a definite David Lindley vibe to it..... Jackson Brown... Running on Empty album..... If you haven't heard that album.... do yourself a huge favor....get it.

Edit 2: did I mention I like this song alot?

Thanks, Herb. Any time you use that slide RT, it's gonna sound like Lindley... seemed even more so playing against the Shining Pop lead..

Posted By: floyd jane Re: She Makes It Look Easy - 01/08/15 11:59 AM
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Floyd !:))

I simply love everything
about this song, it is so
well written, sung, played,
put together and produced !
Especially I like the vocal
harmony parts, they are just
great !:))One of your best if not
the best ? :))

Just great Floyd !!!:))

Cheers
Dani the Spaniard in spe

LOL - muchas gracias, Spanish Dani....

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Hey Floyd,

This is just great - sounds like it could be on the radio. My favorite of your songs so far...

Bob

Thanks, Bob...appreciate that...

Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Floyd,

I'm a fan!
No time for commenting. Must get back to listen.

Guenter

thanks, Guenter...

Originally Posted By: receder
Hi Floyd,

That is some achievement and probably my favourite song so far in my short time on these forums!

I echo all the other positive comments. I am also amazed at how you make it sound like it was played by a band rather than a bunch of RTs strung together. Great skills. Thanks for sharing.

Rec

Rec - Appreciate you droppin' by for a listen... Thanks for the very nice comments. None of this would be possible without BIAB - it still amazes me that it can produce seamless studio quality tracks to allow us to do what we do...

Originally Posted By: Sundance
+1 Always a sucker for those Eaglesque oooo's. Great listen FJ.

Josie

Thanks, Josie...
Posted By: 90 dB Re: She Makes It Look Easy - 01/08/15 12:59 PM
I like this one a lot, but I think it needs more guitars.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: gruverider Re: She Makes It Look Easy - 01/08/15 10:21 PM
Terrific harmonies! Sounds great
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: She Makes It Look Easy - 01/09/15 03:50 AM
Floyd

Great material there. Really like the country rock feel, and the choice of instruments.

Great vocals and especially fantastic lyrics.

Definitely a bit of America and Eagles happening here.

Thanks for sharing!

Trev
Posted By: floyd jane Re: She Makes It Look Easy - 01/09/15 11:00 AM
Originally Posted By: sslechta
Agree with the Eagles and "Running on Empty" comments. Really hear that vibe to it.

Love the production quality Floyd. Helps us to strive for that kind of good recording.

Thanks, Steve...appreciate you dropping by for a listen...

Originally Posted By: FredM
Hi Floyd,
Just noticed you got a facebook link on the PG page!
Well earned!
G
F

Always nice when that happens... You landed there yourself...

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
YOU make it look so easy. Come on....eight guitar tracks
that seamlessly fit in the arrangement and the mix?
I wanna be able to do that when I grow up. You're upping
the RT numbers exponentiallyand making it work. While I'm
paring them down to a, for me, manageable level...that'd be about
15% of your norm smile

And then we get to the lyric, the melody and the vocals.
Eaglesque as mentioned but with the signature fj stamp all over it.
IMHO, "signature" is a helluva achievement for a musician
operating at ANY tier. You have it Mr. jane -- two bars and you know
it's a fj tune....and I know at least 4 playlists this one is gonna soon
be on (; Kudos!! J&B

Thanks, guys!...y'all are always so nice... smile
Posted By: floyd jane Re: She Makes It Look Easy - 01/10/15 12:05 PM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
floyd, Rockin snare sound! Love the eagles type oohs and harmonies. The first guitar turnaround fits like an old shoe. Great idea on the outro with guitar/slide interplay. The usual stellar pro mix/master. Once again you hit the mark. You are the one who makes it look easy! Tom

Thanks, Tom...appreciate that...

Originally Posted By: 90 dB
I like this one a lot, but I think it needs more guitars.

Regards, Bob

smile smile smile smile

Originally Posted By: gruverider
Terrific harmonies! Sounds great

Thanks Lawrence

Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Floyd

Great material there. Really like the country rock feel, and the choice of instruments.

Great vocals and especially fantastic lyrics.

Definitely a bit of America and Eagles happening here.

Thanks for sharing!

Trev

Thanks, Trevor. Always appreciate you dropping by... (would love to hear another one from you!!)
Posted By: RnAM Re: She Makes It Look Easy - 01/13/15 12:17 PM
Hi Floyd,

Another great song.
Like others mentioned before.... an Eagles'sound!
Vocals (including backing vocals) sound very good!

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: MarioD Re: She Makes It Look Easy - 01/13/15 05:46 PM
Here I go for the 10th time in a row "This is your best to date"!

Man you are setting the bar so high that I'm a little intimidated to post anything!

As I have said many times "You should be signed"! Have you given any thought about trying out for TV show "The Voice"? I'm sure Blake Shelton would pick you in a heartbeat.

This is a keeper.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: She Makes It Look Easy - 01/14/15 07:42 PM
Originally Posted By: R & AM
Hi Floyd,

Another great song.
Like others mentioned before.... an Eagles'sound!
Vocals (including backing vocals) sound very good!

Rob and Anne-Marie

Thanks, guys!

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Here I go for the 10th time in a row "This is your best to date"!

Man you are setting the bar so high that I'm a little intimidated to post anything!

As I have said many times "You should be signed"! Have you given any thought about trying out for TV show "The Voice"? I'm sure Blake Shelton would pick you in a heartbeat.

This is a keeper.

Mario - you're just too nice... made me smile... smile
Posted By: RichMac Re: She Makes It Look Easy - 01/15/15 04:24 AM
Hi Floyd. These Productions just seem to flow out of you.
You certainly do make it look easy.
Which is not easy.
Another great listen. Cheers.
Posted By: Scott C Re: She Makes It Look Easy - 01/15/15 10:09 PM
Awesome tune Floyd. Excellent lyrics. All well done
Posted By: floyd jane Re: She Makes It Look Easy - 01/16/15 10:51 AM
Originally Posted By: RichMac
Hi Floyd. These Productions just seem to flow out of you.
You certainly do make it look easy.
Which is not easy.
Another great listen. Cheers.

Thanks, Richard - it's time to hear another from you, isn't it?

Originally Posted By: Scottt709
Awesome tune Floyd. Excellent lyrics. All well done

Appreciate the listen, Scott...
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: She Makes It Look Easy - 01/17/15 02:42 PM
Floyd, how could it be that you aren't all over the radio yet? I'll tell ya who makes it look easy.. YOU DO! You pop these radio ready hits out like toast!

And I guess its because you understand the "rules" so you can recreate different manifestations of them over and over... the interesting thing is that your songs don't sound like cookie cutter knockoffs... they may all have every element a good country song needs... but you make them all sound unique and interesting.

One of the things I liked about this one is the fact that "you make it look easy" is usually a compliment... but in the song's context, if it is a compliment at all, it's a back handed one. Interesting spin that engaged my cognitive dissonance and got me interested.

This might be my last commentary on your songs Floyd... you're in a class by yourself here. Most of the song writers seek objective analysis in order to hear their song through new ears... for most people that's a necessary part of getting a grip on the craft.

But there is no observation I can make about your songs that you don't already know. I actually feel foolish trying to say something that adds a perspective you haven't already considered. I'll continue to check in so you know I listened and enjoyed your songs... but you are confident enough that you don't need encouragement, smart enough that you don't need analysis and busy enough that you don't need to spend time reading my long dissertations anyway. wink

But even in the absence of new kudos, rest assured that I am (and will continue to be) blown away by each project you post here.
Posted By: Joe Ramsay Re: She Makes It Look Easy - 01/17/15 10:45 PM
Late on the scene here, so I can't really add anything that hasn't already been said, except a ton of admiration for your command of the multiple layers of inspiration, lyric-writing, music-writing, arranging, vocals, real guitar playing (sometimes), mixing and mastering. And you are able to create such a live studio sound with your choices and technical mastery of instrument mixes, shots, holds, etc. Lot's to learn from you bro'.

I am using BIAB on a MacBook and GarageBand for mixing, so I am not sure what you mean when you say you added BIABetts to the vocal mix. I do recall in RealBand on the Windows platform there was a feature to modulate your own voice into harmony parts, but RealBand isn't available on the Mac.

Anyway ... great song, great production, and like just about everybody here, I am a bit fan of the Eagles, and intentionally or unintentionally, you nailed that early Eagle's groove with multiple guitar tracks (Hotel California has 12 I believe) and those great vocal harmonies. Thanks!
Posted By: Earl G. Re: She Makes It Look Easy - 01/17/15 11:49 PM
Floyd,

One of the first songs I listened to on the forum. This is top notch quality, hit potential, vocal, lyrics, etc. You set a high bar.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: She Makes It Look Easy - 01/18/15 05:55 PM
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
Floyd, how could it be that you aren't all over the radio yet? I'll tell ya who makes it look easy.. YOU DO! You pop these radio ready hits out like toast!

And I guess its because you understand the "rules" so you can recreate different manifestations of them over and over... the interesting thing is that your songs don't sound like cookie cutter knockoffs... they may all have every element a good country song needs... but you make them all sound unique and interesting.

One of the things I liked about this one is the fact that "you make it look easy" is usually a compliment... but in the song's context, if it is a compliment at all, it's a back handed one. Interesting spin that engaged my cognitive dissonance and got me interested.

This might be my last commentary on your songs Floyd... you're in a class by yourself here. Most of the song writers seek objective analysis in order to hear their song through new ears... for most people that's a necessary part of getting a grip on the craft.

But there is no observation I can make about your songs that you don't already know. I actually feel foolish trying to say something that adds a perspective you haven't already considered. I'll continue to check in so you know I listened and enjoyed your songs... but you are confident enough that you don't need encouragement, smart enough that you don't need analysis and busy enough that you don't need to spend time reading my long dissertations anyway. wink

But even in the absence of new kudos, rest assured that I am (and will continue to be) blown away by each project you post here.

Pat - I certainly appreciate all the kind words. I would be greatly disappointed if I did not get the pleasure of reading your thoughts on what I post. I like that you have suggested different ways of doing things here and there. And I enjoy the discussion that come out of that... there is every chance that you will find an angle that I had not considered... and I am quite open to new thoughts and ideas... So, as Glen used to say "I'll leave the dogs tied up and the latch string out..."

Originally Posted By: Joe Ramsay
Late on the scene here, so I can't really add anything that hasn't already been said, except a ton of admiration for your command of the multiple layers of inspiration, lyric-writing, music-writing, arranging, vocals, real guitar playing (sometimes), mixing and mastering. And you are able to create such a live studio sound with your choices and technical mastery of instrument mixes, shots, holds, etc. Lot's to learn from you bro'.

I am using BIAB on a MacBook and GarageBand for mixing, so I am not sure what you mean when you say you added BIABetts to the vocal mix. I do recall in RealBand on the Windows platform there was a feature to modulate your own voice into harmony parts, but RealBand isn't available on the Mac.

Anyway ... great song, great production, and like just about everybody here, I am a bit fan of the Eagles, and intentionally or unintentionally, you nailed that early Eagle's groove with multiple guitar tracks (Hotel California has 12 I believe) and those great vocal harmonies. Thanks!

Joe - I appreciate all that. The "BIABettes" are, in fact, a Windows thing - 4 part harmony created in RealBand using the BIAB SGU and the TC Helicon harmonizer plugin that comes with BIAB... It might be possible to use it in BIAB, but I have not tried that (so I don't know how it works there). Thanks for dropping in for a listen....

Originally Posted By: Earl G.
Floyd,

One of the first songs I listened to on the forum. This is top notch quality, hit potential, vocal, lyrics, etc. You set a high bar.

Earl - good of you to come around for a listen - appreciate that...thanks
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: She Makes It Look Easy - 01/19/15 12:03 PM
QUOTE:"Joe - I appreciate all that. The "BIABettes" are, in fact, a Windows thing - 4 part harmony created in RealBand using the BIAB SGU and the TC Helicon harmonizer plugin that comes with BIAB... It might be possible to use it in BIAB, but I have not tried that (so I don't know how it works there). Thanks for dropping in for a listen...." QUOTE

Just a quick note to advise that harmony (TC Helicon) is available in BIAB 2014-2015 Windows Versions. It is located in the drop down menu just to the right of the soloist button in the tracks menu I don't know if it is available in earlier versions or the MAC version.

With only a single audio track available, it is more limited than what is available in RealBand.

Charlie

Posted By: Achordocaster Re: She Makes It Look Easy - 01/19/15 04:28 PM
Hey Floyd,

I'm late so it's all been said. grin A great job, definitely up to your usual high standards. I had several ideas for another guitar part! wink

Everybody's mentioned the Eagles... but I'm hearing a Vince Gill sound when he was with Pure Prairie League (Firin' Up album) all it's missin' is a sax part.

Great Job,

Greg
Posted By: Noel96 Re: She Makes It Look Easy - 01/24/15 12:51 AM
floyd,

Oh my goodness! Is this inspired songwriting at its very best or what? As others have noted, yet again you send the forum bar for good quality ratcheting its way up the notches. This really is an excellent write, an excellent performance and a first-rate production. The melody, the harmony and the instrumentation are all awesome.

As your songs always seem to do, you've caused me much thought from a lyric perspective.

I've been sitting here puzzling over why the chorus works so well. The hook features three times and the lyric pattern from a title/rhyme perspective is...

• T a T a b b x T

...where T = title; a = first rhyme type; b = second rhyme type; x = unrhymed

What's puzzled me is that each time I've listened to the song, I feel a sense of closure at the end of the chorus. This is strange because:

(a) the title does not rhyme with any other line in the chorus and so it doesn't seem as though it's capable of creating aural closure;

(b) the penultimate line of the chorus is also unrhymed and, theoretically, this means it's also incapable of aural closure.

Even though this chorus finishes on the scale tonic, I wasn't convinced that this has enough aural clout to produce the sense of closure I felt. So I played around a bit and substituted the word “simple” in place of “easy”. This still fulfills the overall rhyme pattern, has two syllables with the stress on the first syllable, and more-or-less maintains the chorus's meaning. This gave me...

Quote:
she makes it look simple
she makes it look simple
tearing my world in two
she's breaking my heart
and she makes it look simple

When I read this aloud, it sort of works even though it pales by comparison to your version. Having the open vowel sound at the end of the chorus is much nicer. The most interesting thing about the above modification, though, is that the sense of closure that I feel from reading your chorus aloud is gone when I read the modified version aloud. Hmmm.... this means that the power of the word “easy” is much greater than it initially seems.

Pondering the word “easy” for a while, I realised that it's unusual in that, if one stresses both syllables, the word actually rhymes with itself. Since I changed nothing else in the chorus, it must be this inherent quality of the word "easy" coupling with the music's finishing on the tonic that is producing the sense closure that I felt. Interesting. I never realised that rhyme closure can occur with a carefully placed single word. That's quite eye-opening and something I'm adding to my lyricist toolbox!

In his song “Recipe For Insanity”, Steve Seskin uses a similar principle to close his very last chorus by rhyming 'more or less' with 'happiness'.

Quote:
Three parts joy, two cups of understanding
A tablespoon of tenderness with the sweet taste of trust
They'll throw in some forgiveness and hope for tomorrow
Tears will turn to laughter and all blame will turn to dust
That's a remedy for insanity
That's a recipe, more or less, for happiness

Here's a link to the song: Recipe For Insanity

If you get a chance to listen to Steve sing this at the above Youtube link, you'll be able to feel the power of that very last rhyme. To feel the fullness of this power, though, it's necessary to journey through the entire song. When I heard him sing this a few years ago, the lyric strength of that last line resonated.

Ok … time for another listen to “She Makes It Look Easy”.

Thanks for today's lesson!
Noel
Posted By: Steve Young Re: She Makes It Look Easy - 01/25/15 08:30 PM
FLoyd,

Well, it seems I only have about one day a month to spend any time with anything musical around here for the past several months. When I do have that day, I always look for your latest contribution, knowing that I will really like it even before I hear it. I am never disappointed! This one is just so good! I like everything about it.

So glad I didn't miss this one!

Steve
© PG Music Forums