PG Music Home
Posted By: boehm I Miss You - 01/10/15 11:28 AM
I Miss You

Hi all,

I felt like taking part in another remix contest the other day. (remixcomps.com/contest/coke-montilla-feat-kate-lesing-remix-contest) (link no longer valid)
I downloaded the 12 stems, but only used the vocals. I totally reharmonized the song and so it is completely different from the original and all the other contestants. And that’s a good thing.
It was rather time-consuming to find appropriate chords on my keyboard and I finally used them for a string track.
RT464_Bass, Acoustic, Bossa Ev 140
RT2288_ Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm BossaKenny Ev 140
RT1449_ Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm GypsyJazzLatin
RT476_Sax, Alto, Bossa Ev 140 (Bluesy)
RealDrums-JazzFunkFiery^1-SStkHH,SnrHH

https://soundcloud.com/boehmusic/coke-montilla-feat-kate-lesing-i-miss-you-boehmusic-remix

I hope you enjoy.

Guenter
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: I Miss You - 01/10/15 11:35 AM
I love remix contests.... they give you the chance to work with tracks that you didn't record and tend to be well recorded.

I clicked on the link to a different version..... then I said that ain't the right track..... then found your link.

OK.... nice version. I'd bring the vox up quite a bit.... the singer is the star and needs to be heard better.

Nice choice using jazz tracks...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: I Miss You - 01/10/15 12:19 PM
Wow, Guenter...

Your version is a HUGE improvement over what is on the linked page (is that the original or a contestants version? - it's hard to listen to).

You make this look too easy - but I take your word for it that it was time consuming. It sounds as though it is what it was meant to be from the start. I agree with Herb that the vocal could come up slightly.

A great listen. Catchy. Had me dancing (in my chair... no one wants to see otherwise - just ask my wife...)

floyd
Posted By: boehm Re: I Miss You - 01/10/15 12:38 PM
Hi Herb and Floyd,

thanks for taking the time for listening and commenting.
The first one on the linked page is the original.
I always take my time when mixing and let it "simmer" for two or three days to get my ears regenerated. And for me the volume of the vocals is ok.

Guenter
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: I Miss You - 01/10/15 06:19 PM
I agree with Floyd that your version is much nicer than the original! This is a great track. Really enjoyable listen. Dig it! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: I Miss You - 01/10/15 06:58 PM
This is really nice and really good. It was quite ambitious to make such a drastic change from the original but your version is decidedly a more natural fit for the vocals than the original. Superb job. Good luck with the contest.

Charlie
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: I Miss You - 01/10/15 07:47 PM
as usual, I can't get Sound Cloud to play. ;(

As soon as it works, I'll be back with my 2 cents' worth
----------later----------------------

Got it to play on a different computer!!

I actually like the original style of music (house, progressive, trance, whatever they call it), so I can't honestly dismiss the other entries because I don't like the style... but REMIX??? Give me a break!! They all sounded the same!!

Yours is the ONLY one that actually cast the melody in a different light at all... and for that reason, if they pick 4, I would be inclined to think you have a pretty good chance of being in that group (depending on their criteria for making the decision... if it's anything like "WE WANT 4 SONGS THAT SOUND JUST LIKE THE ORIGINAL" then you won't win. Good. You wouldn't want to win by those guidelines!

Another thing I notice is that the lyrics are noticeably clearer in your mix than in 90% of the other mixes. Maybe they aren't usually mixing songs that have vocals and they don't have a plan for bringing them forward in the mix... but that's the first thing I noticed when I got to yours...

But Guenter... how do you do this??? I can't even imagine a starting point for doing what you've done here! But I see why you like these remix contests... you're really good at this kind of song mod sorcery!

Did you ever hear anything from the other remix contest you entered? I thought your entry in that contest was the best one too.

Please keep us posted... I'm very curious to hear what they think is a good remix. But, regarding yours... I am very impressed!

PS: I notice some of the remix artists gave their version a different name besides I MISS YOU.
You could have named yours "HOW CAN I MISS YOU IF YOU WON'T GO AWAY?"
wink

Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I Miss You - 01/10/15 08:23 PM
Dang Guenter! I can't imagine how
tedious (and creative) it was to build
all that around the vocal. If they
wanted a remix well by gosh they
got one!

Of course we are biased :-) but we
think it by far sounds the best of
those posted.

Your creative streaks seem to have no
boundaries.

J&B
Posted By: dani48 Re: I Miss You - 01/10/15 08:40 PM
Hi, Guenter !:))

This is really nice, in fact superb !:))
I like your remix very much !!!

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: tommyad Re: I Miss You - 01/11/15 01:37 PM
Guenter, That must take a lot of time to do that. I know I wouldn't have the patience for it. It sounds wonderful and totally different from the original track. You should win just based on the originality of your piece. You are the master of these remixes. Please let us know how the contest turns out. I enjoyed my listen. Tom
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: I Miss You - 01/11/15 02:15 PM
Guenter. This is quite amazing. Quite wonderful how you manage to make this transformation. Very interesting. Love the choice of the jazzy mix.
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: I Miss You - 01/11/15 08:59 PM
hi all been said here you pulled it off great work thanks for sharing eric
Posted By: dcuny Re: I Miss You - 01/11/15 10:49 PM
Listened to and enjoyed. laugh

Different is good!
Posted By: FredM Re: I Miss You - 01/12/15 06:24 AM
Hi Guenter,
I dindn't knew this type of contest existed. I find it very interesting, maybe I take a shot at one in the future!
Your production is very strong. And not out of style, if you listen to productions like Marc Moulins'
I like it very much. In this style the vocals blend more into the music, so I think that's ok to.
Will it pass the jury? Well, it's a jury thing, but that's less important. It's a good study, and I've learned something out of it.

G

Fred
Posted By: boehm Re: I Miss You - 01/12/15 03:05 PM
Hi Greg, Charlie, Pat, Janice & Bud, Dani, Tommy, Joanne, Eric, David and Fred,

thank you all for taking the time to listen and your very nice comments.
I was not among the winners, but that was predictable, because my version wouldn't fit on a CD of EDM style.
There was another nice contribution:
https://soundcloud.com/mantrarec/i-miss-you-wallace-tungsten-remix
He didn't win either, of course.
@Pat: The reason why some have different titles is that they sneaked in different songs.

Guenter
Posted By: gruverider Re: I Miss You - 01/12/15 06:48 PM
masterfully done, you have a great ear!
Posted By: RnAM Re: I Miss You - 01/13/15 12:07 PM
Hi Guenter,

Your remix certainly sounds better than the original.
The vocals get louder after some time, (at least, that is what we noticed), from that moment on they sound better.
Nice work.

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: receder Re: I Miss You - 01/14/15 08:56 AM
Hi Guenter,

I'm a bit late to the party here but can only echo the other praise.

It almost sounds like your track was the original piece and the other entries took the vocals from it and placed them against a standard dance track backing.

This clearly took a lot of effort on your part and the end result is superb. Congrats!

Rec
Posted By: boehm Re: I Miss You - 01/14/15 11:50 AM
Hi Lawrence, Rob & Anne-Marie and Rec,

thanks a lot for taking the time to listen and for your most kind comments.

Guenter
Posted By: MarioD Re: I Miss You - 01/14/15 05:32 PM
I listened to your version then some snippets of some of the other versions. The others sounded too much like the original whereas yours was pure magic! Of course I do like jazz a whole lot more than other genres.

Yours is the winner in my book.
Posted By: boehm Re: I Miss You - 01/15/15 01:38 PM
Hi Mario,

thanks a lot for listening and comparing.
And for your nice judgement.

Guenter
Posted By: keltie Re: I Miss You - 01/20/15 10:23 AM
one word wow man ! Maybe I should shelf the my guitar (never lol ) Rob !
Posted By: boehm Re: I Miss You - 01/21/15 08:31 AM
Hi Rob,

thanks for listening and commenting.

Guenter
Posted By: Noel96 Re: I Miss You - 01/23/15 09:55 PM
Hi Guenter,

Just amazing!

You've taken this vocal to places that I suspect few could imagine. What you've done is nothing short of brilliant: it's classy, it's creative, it's very adventurous. As others have said in comments above, I can't begin to appreciate how this is done and the amount of time you must have spent consolidating the final mix.

Outstanding!

Best regards,
Noel
Posted By: boehm Re: I Miss You - 01/24/15 12:44 PM
Hi Noel,

I very much appreciate your kind words.
Thanks.

Guenter
Posted By: gibson Re: I Miss You - 01/24/15 01:21 PM
Guenter,

Your version is infinitely better than the original, I couldn't listen to it for too long but yours.............a different story!!

As Janice and Bud said
Quote:
Your creative streaks seem to have no boundaries.
I totally agree.

wonderful, you must have the patience of a saint to do a remix cool

good stuff

Alyn
Posted By: aleck rand Re: I Miss You - 01/24/15 11:53 PM
Hi Guenter,

I thought I already commented on this one, but I just looked and I must have done my usual clever trick of shutting down the browser after writing. That is, before clicking on "Submit."

I said it was a great performance! And I asked, "What is a remixing contest?" What is it that gets remixed? How do you win, and did you win this contest too?

OK Dean. Steady now. First review post, below. Don't forget to press "Submit." Don't forget to sign your name.
Posted By: boehm Re: I Miss You - 01/25/15 12:48 PM
Hi Alyn,

you make my halo shine! Thanks for your kind words.

Guenter
Posted By: boehm Re: I Miss You - 01/25/15 01:04 PM
Hi Dean,
Quote:

... shutting down the browser after writing. That is, before clicking on "Submit."

That sometimes happens to me, too. We're getting old!

Quote:
I said it was a great performance! And I asked, "What is a remixing contest?" What is it that gets remixed? How do you win, and did you win this contest too?

Thanks.
In a remix contest they offer you instrumental and vocal stems to download. I usually only use the vocals. That gives me good voices without having to struggle with vocaloid programming.
They choose the winners according to their taste.
I have never won and I don't really plan to do so, as the prizes are usually publication on remix compilations which I'm not interested in.
It's a lot of fun for me to work with the stems. I even enjoy finding out the tempo of the tracks. It's like a puzzle that I like to solve.
It can be compared with the derivative works you often make.

Guenter
© PG Music Forums