PG Music Home
Greetings again to all Forum members. I've been hiding out learning a new DAW and this is my first project with this software.

Some of you know that, in the past, I've included suggested links to tunes before listing my version so that listeners can compare the two and come to their own conclusions. This time however, I am making it compulsory. Before you listen to me, you MUST go here and experience the entire thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqEclRcoZeo

I'm certain that you'll be asking yourself how a thing like this from 1938 Broadway can be made to cruise and pop with that jazz swing. You may decide that you like Bernadette Peters better and what I propose cannot be done. Let me know either way.

...............................FALLING IN LOVE WITH LOVE

Aleck Rand: Arrangement, vocal, guitar, Hammond B3
RealDrums: Jazz #1
Dean as soon as I saw Bernadette Peters name I knew that I would like it. She is one of my favorites!

Your version is excellent. You are a master of the B3 and jazz guitar; I love your guitar chops and tone!

Super arrangement also!
Mario,

Very kind of you my friend. At first I thought you were gonna say you liked Bernadette's version better! Which is perfectly OK, but I'm glad you liked that James & Wes sound. There's no sound in jazz that can top a guitar/organ trio. Equal it, yes. Top it, no.

Dean
Dean, great versión, the guitar solo is amazing!!!, pure jazz guitar, and the hammond is perfect.
I´m with you, the Hammond /guitar trio is "The Sound". Jimmy Smith/George Benson, Jack Mcduf/Grant Green, Melvin Rhyne/Wes Montgomery, Lonnie Smith, Joey Defrancesco....

So great music...
Dean

Sensational!

In the cracks, exactly where everything is meant to be.

Fantastic guitar, and the B3 works so well.

Going back for another listen right now!
Posted By: FredM Re: Richard Rodgers' FALLING IN LOVE WITH LOVE - 01/16/15 09:51 AM
Originally Posted By: MarioD

Your version is excellent. You are a master of the B3 and jazz guitar; I love your guitar chops and tone!

Super arrangement also!

Couldn't agree more,Dean
+1 from me

Fred
Hi Dean,

Really nice work. I was captivated by your performances and your arrangement. I'm a huge fan of Hart/Rodgers songs. You did this one credit smile

Regards,
Noel
Dean,

Nice. You put the aleck rand stamp on this!

Nice B3. Super guitar work. Nice arrangement. Very minimal - and just what it needed...

Love that ending! And that smoky vocal...

floyd

who doesn't love Bernadette?
But I prefer Frank's version over hers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRTzv49B9oo
He makes it his own the same way you do...

For a female version, I'd go with
Helen Merrill with Quincy Jones Septet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlPH3FHNQQI

It's great you share this stuff with us...
Posted By: boehm Re: Richard Rodgers' FALLING IN LOVE WITH LOVE - 01/16/15 11:55 AM
Hi Dean,

as I expected this is a great transformation.
Awesome B3 and guitar. And I like your voice.
Unfortunately you have become what Floyd calls
a "dumper". You don't comment on other people's
posts anymore and only have your own projects in
mind. It's a pity.

Guenter
Dean, Man you can sure play! And sing! Nice ending. Everything right where it should be. Really great sound. Tom
Guenter,

I must thank you, not for the first half, but the second half of your message. So that's what "dumper" means - I thought it meant someone who posts a new tune every other day.

Ich bekenne mich schuldig, Euer Ehren, aber mit berechtigten Gründen.

Instead of going into details, I will try harder.

Dean
Beautiful song. I had not heard it before but I'm a huge fan of this kind of tune, and particularly Rodgers and the Hs. Her version was nice but yours was spectacular! Love the guitar, B3, and the vocal was right in the pocket. Excellent stuff!! Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: aleck rand
Mario,

There's no sound in jazz that can top a guitar/organ trio. Equal it, yes. Top it, no.

Dean

I agree one trillion percent!

I played in a guitar/B3/drum trio for years. Loved that sound but hated carrying around the B3 and Leslie!
Hi, Dean !:))

Hey this is just great
just marvelous both your
wonderful guitar and your
vocal that you do so emotionally
on this absolutely beautiful
tune !:))

It is not difficult to fall in love
with this tune and especially
your handling of it !!!

Cheers
Dani
Thanks Dani,

Believe it or not, I got the inspiration for doing this song from you! Don't ask for an explanation, but it's true. So, I am particularly glad you liked it.

Dean
I always look forward to your submissions and the lessons that come with it. You are a master arranger and very skilled and talented musician.

Charlie
Dean,

every time you post something I struggle to think up suitable superlatives! If you did just one thing well... especially if it's something that I'd like to think that I do well... I could simply be envious.

But DAYUM Dean! You seem to have no boundaries for musical skills that you've mastered! Therefore, I have to hate you.

I tried to be reasonable and hold it down to a low level pi$$off, but you have simply pushed me too far by being this amazing.

One thing I especially hate is the snappy tone of your guitar in this song. Typically jazz guitar tends to have the highs rolled off, but I absolutely LOV.. Um, I mean "am annoyed" by how good that sounds.

Your intro and ending really do a lot to make the song interesting... that sort of thing can't be overstated when we're all using software that tends to provide limited options at both ends of the song.

And I need to know what you use to keep the neck from catching on fire at the 1:32 marker?

Oh, have I mentioned lately that you're annoying? But keep it up, because you're also inspiring. (As in "inspired to quit playing guitar")

Seriously: top notch, best in class, award winning everything.
just perfect, and your vocals do have a Dani vibe - nice

I didn't want to say it, but I think your guitar broke there at the end (lol)
Wow Pat!

You're a clever rascal alright. Who else would have thought of pushing the "backhanded compliment" to the limit?

I am glad you like that song, because getting the whole thing together was a real struggle. It's hard to sing - big range - hard to come up with interesting harmonic twists.

Thank you Pat

Dean
Hey Gruverider,

Bravo on being among the elite few who noticed that last chord. I've been running a joke contest for people to identify this chord, which analysis by a supercomputer has shown to be in the key of Z ... It may have sounded like my guitar broke, but that is absolutely untrue. It was my Hammond that broke.

And thanks for the kind words.

Dean
Charlie,

I thank you kindly for your elegant compliment. Wow!

Dean
Rafa, my friend,

A great compliment and I suspected we would be on the same team when it comes to organ/guitar combos. Now, when are WE gonna do our own guitar/organ thing?

Dean
Trevor,

I am really glad you like this version. Deceptively tough tune: hard to sing (big range), hard to find new ways to voice the changes.

Thank you.

Dean
© PG Music Forums