PG Music Home
Posted By: Carolyne Speechless Blues - 01/30/15 07:48 PM
Okay back to jazz. First recording with BIAB 2015 and new Focusrite 6i6.

https://soundcloud.com/carolyne-swayze/speechless-blues

Speechless Blues
You leave me speechless, I can’t even say the time of day
It’s most annoying, this disruption to my communique
You think it’s cute, when I’m rendered mute
Baby, I wish you’d just go away.

You leave me speechless, just watching the way you walk
This lack of prose is disturbing, ‘cause a girl with attitude has to talk
But it’s when you’re close, words fail me the most
Oh Baby I wish I could be verbose

You leave me speechless, I can barely make a sound
My vocabulary’s useless anytime you’re hanging around
First I stutter, next I mutter …
Silly words that come out all upside down

I’m left speechless by the way you say my name
This lack of elocution is a low down, dirty shame
I’m dumbfounded, so confounded, amazed, and abused
Somebody help me find a way to end these speechless blues

Copyright 2015 Carolyne Swayze
All Rights reserved

JAZZ NYC -Slow Ballad w/NY Piano
12 bar blues chords
Acoustic NY Piano
Acoustic Bass
Tenor
Terry Clarke sticks
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Speechless Blues - 01/30/15 07:54 PM
Carolyne

Wow, you've nailed another one!

Loved the scat too, and the way the lyrics fall in the cracks, and the dominant bass throughout.

This has really worked well. Top vocal.

Great number.

Thanks for sharing

Trevor
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Speechless Blues - 01/30/15 08:07 PM
Hi Carolyne.

Please excuse my ignorance but jazz is like another language to me.

This tune does work well and you sing it pitch perfect.
Good Job.

Rob
Posted By: Rafa T Re: Speechless Blues - 01/30/15 10:13 PM
Great song!, beautiful music, the arrengement and the mix are perfect, but.... your voice and the way how you sing is FANTASTIC!!! you have a great jazz style, swing & feeling.
It is the first time I hear you but I'm already a big fan of yours.
Thanks for share
Posted By: Sundance Re: Speechless Blues - 01/30/15 10:24 PM
Fabulous Carolyne. Truly fabulous.

Josie
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Speechless Blues - 01/30/15 10:34 PM
Hi Carolyne,

Rafa said ...

Quote:
Great song!, beautiful music, the arrengement and the mix are perfect, but.... your voice and the way how you sing is FANTASTIC!!! you have a great jazz style, swing & feeling.

.. and I completely agree. This was a great listen!

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Speechless Blues - 01/30/15 11:00 PM
Most excellent Carolyne!
Your production and arrangement
were spot on for the fine vocal
feel.

We much enjoyed the listen.

J&B
Posted By: dcuny Re: Speechless Blues - 01/31/15 03:11 AM
Listening to you sing this style is like watching a dolphin leaping out of the water - it sounds like you are in your element, and nothing could be more natural.

Nice production as well.

I'm a bit confused listening to the lyrics, though. Does the singer really "wish you'd go away?" or are they kidding? I'm guessing that's the case, and if the song ended along the lines of:

"Won't you help me find a way to end these speechless blues"

I'd be more certain. But as written, I get the impression that the singer is more annoyed than playful.

Dang, I'm in a picky mood tonight, sorry. Don't let me give the impression that this was anything less than delightful to listen to.
Posted By: Carolyne Re: Speechless Blues - 01/31/15 04:05 AM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Listening to you sing this style is like watching a dolphin leaping out of the water - it sounds like you are in your element, and nothing could be more natural.

Nice production as well.

I'm a bit confused listening to the lyrics, though. Does the singer really "wish you'd go away?" or are they kidding? I'm guessing that's the case, and if the song ended along the lines of:

"Won't you help me find a way to end these speechless blues"

I'd be more certain. But as written, I get the impression that the singer is more annoyed than playful.

Dang, I'm in a picky mood tonight, sorry. Don't let me give the impression that this was anything less than delightful to listen to.

LOL! Thanks David. The singer is blissfully annoyed by the effects this person has on her, making it difficult to even speak. She is full of contradiction... "I wish you'd go away". That's not really what she wants. The beauty of Jazz is that it is full of complexity and uncertainty, and can be interpreted however you choose.
- Carolyne
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Speechless Blues - 01/31/15 09:50 AM
You are at your best when you do Jazz. Your vocals have such a natural feel and your confidence is evident. It is a perfect blend between the singer and the music. This was really nice.

Charlie
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Speechless Blues - 01/31/15 11:08 AM
A good write, Carolyne...

Excellent vocal. Sung with heart - playful and meaningful...

Nice instrumentation and mix. The best compliment I can give is... you make me want to try doing a number like this - you show off this side of BIAB so well...

Enjoyable.

floyd
Posted By: boehm Re: Speechless Blues - 01/31/15 11:53 AM
Hi Carolyne,
Originally Posted By: c_fogle
You are at your best when you do Jazz. Your vocals have such a natural feel and your confidence is evident. It is a perfect blend between the singer and the music. This was really nice.

I especially like that scatting part. Virtuoso!

Guenter
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Speechless Blues - 01/31/15 04:21 PM
Great tune! Great feel! Wonderful lyric! I think Jazz is your wheelhouse. Love the classic lyric style of the long gone great standard writers. It was pretty clear to me that the lyric was playful. Rhymes were clever and interesting. Great work all around! Take care. Greg

BTW, congrats on your award for the showcase neighbor!!
Posted By: Carolyne Re: Speechless Blues - 01/31/15 06:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Great tune! Great feel! Wonderful lyric! I think Jazz is your wheelhouse. Love the classic lyric style of the long gone great standard writers. It was pretty clear to me that the lyric was playful. Rhymes were clever and interesting. Great work all around! Take care. Greg

BTW, congrats on your award for the showcase neighbor!!

Thanks neighbor. Congrats to you as well. There are so many songs on the forum. I'm so busy, it's hard to get around to all of them. I did finally get to listen to Paradise. My kind of song, both lyrically and melodically. Great job. Okay, see ya round the neighborhood!
-Carolyne
Posted By: MarioD Re: Speechless Blues - 01/31/15 07:08 PM
Carolyne this is absolutely fantastic. You have an excellent voice and your backing tracks are perfect.

I could picture Eartha Kit, Lena Horn or Ella singing this one!
Posted By: stratos Re: Speechless Blues - 01/31/15 08:30 PM
Absolut wonderful! I agree with everything said.
I heard You Dont Know Me and To Late To Tell You, on your SoundCloud. Enjoyed it a lot.

Posted By: sfiks Re: Speechless Blues - 01/31/15 09:41 PM
You left me speechless, Caroline!
But still - absolutely stylish, delicate, cute and flirty!
Enjoyed every minute of it.

Slava
Posted By: FredM Re: Speechless Blues - 02/02/15 06:39 PM
Hi Carolyne,

Almost missed this one! Bumping it up again!

A smile on my face all through the song. Opens like a Marilyn Monroe, evolves to Ella... But Carolyne all the way!

Did I tell you already I love your voice smile smile smile

See you around!

Fred
Posted By: tommyad Re: Speechless Blues - 02/03/15 02:32 PM
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Carolyne,
Originally Posted By: c_fogle

I especially like that scatting part. Virtuoso!

Guenter

+1 Carolyne, Charlie and Guenter both said it well. Great mix as well as a vocal that showcases someone who has been a student of the genre. Fabulous listen. Tom
Posted By: Carolyne Re: Speechless Blues - 02/03/15 04:59 PM
Thanks one and all! A big MWAH to PG Music for the reign it has given artists to express themselves, particularly on the jazz side.
Posted By: Will Josef Re: Speechless Blues - 01/15/19 10:39 PM
Hi Carolyne,

I - unfortunately - don't know you, but what a wonderful experience it was to find this song... it's like a blast from the past... long before I became a member of this forum.

It's a stunning song and your vocal is incredible good sounding!

I love this kind of jazz/blues-music and your song is one of the best I have heard in this genre in many years.

Thank you!
Will
Posted By: Belladonna Re: Speechless Blues - 01/16/19 01:24 AM
Very smooth and totally captivating. Very nice.
Posted By: bluage Re: Speechless Blues - 01/16/19 01:44 AM
Ms. Swayze...

May I borrow a line from your song, "Speechless Blues", please? Assuming you've granted my request, I'll follow-up by saying that "I'm left speechless" by this...this...this elegantly swinging, sassy-as-a-stolen kiss, tastily sung piece of happy blues!!!

Sometimes, my first impulse when commenting on a song or composition that thrills my heart, soul, and ears, is to try to think of a known musician who's work compares favorably to the User's Forum member's production. But, you know what, Ms. Swayze? In this case I ain't gonna do that, because from where I'm standing, it would be an insult to you. Why compare you to someone else when you're as "good", if not better, than they are??? And your scatting was as effortless and stylish as a blue-hearted bird tweeting on a jazz kick.

If I must use a superlative, then it would be that "Speechless Blues" is probably the finest jazz vocal performance by a lady that I've heard on the forum. You should have sold tickets to us before you posted it!

Ms. Swayze, please promise me that you're going to post more songs on this forum, starting, like, right now. Not only do we (the forum members) need more women "in the mix" (in my opinion, of course), but we need you even more to show us how the fine art of jazz singing is done.

Okay, you don't have to promise, but, I hope like you-know-what that we hear from you much, much more often, okay?

I'm your's,

LOREN
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Speechless Blues - 01/16/19 09:30 AM
Your vocal performance is flawless. I enjoyed all aspects of this song. I particularly like these lines: "This lack of elocution is a low down, dirty shame/I’m dumbfounded, so confounded, amazed, and abused." These are cleverly written lyrics.

Scott
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Speechless Blues - 01/16/19 11:19 AM
Wow - really well done! Love the groove, and your vocals match the backing tracks perfectly. The whole tune has a fantastic velvety texture to it. It flows like water. The scatting was a nice addition - you really nailed your performance here.

Great work, and thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: Will Josef Re: Speechless Blues - 01/16/19 08:36 PM
This song is a good example of why we all should listen more to the PGMusic Radio, where random songs will be played, which also mean random pleasant surprises. I would never have found this song otherwise.

And I think you all agree that this song really deserves renewed attention.

smile Will
© PG Music Forums