PG Music Home
Posted By: jannesan The Theory Of Everything - 02/14/15 06:58 AM
A new song The Theory Of Everything finished right on the Valentine's day, although I started writing it already in 2013. Also video available at YouTube. Inspired by the quantum theory, not the movie, although I changed the title to match with it. I do not take any responsibility on the theoretical accuracy blush

The song is written by me, all those great inspiring instruments by BIAB (+Floyd's loop). The vocalist was hired from Supreme Tracks and I think his voice fits nicely into the song. Mixed in Adobe Audition, Melodyne used for some vocal modifications and vocal harmony.

RealDrums: JazzFunkGroovin
Loops: ChoirClaps (thanks to Floyd!)

RealTracks:
Acoustic Guitar #2403
Acoustic Guitar Solo #1648
Acoustic Piano #1578
Electric Bass #1433
Electric Guitar #1402, #1403, #1435, #1436, #1574
Horn Section #2348
Organ #2492
Sax #1058, #1062, #1776
Synth #2407

Lyrics:

I had heard the phrase
opposites attract
took a test with you
at the Large Heart Collider
we have proved it's much more than a fact.

We levitate
we gravitate
between love and hate
this is our theory of everything
you are my superstring.

Deconstructed lives
weaker atoms were split
settled in the void
there were no more needs to argue
our turn to feel the impact hit.

We levitate...

Fused beyond the time
in a random event
bodies resonate
but they won't annihilate
we have reached the quantum entanglement.

We levitate...

Our union, boson & fermion
supersymmetric spinning sparticles
we are married now in every dimension.

We levitate...

Janne
Posted By: Will Rockwell Re: The Theory Of Everything - 02/14/15 08:58 AM
Charming song, a great Valentines card
Posted By: boehm Re: The Theory Of Everything - 02/14/15 12:09 PM
Hi Janne,

interesting lyrics. Very nice chord progression. And what an arrangement! Entertaining from the start.
You chose a good singer. I wonder how much it cost.
There's an effect on the vocals that distracts me a little.
Nevertheless a very good listen which I've repeated several times.
Funny video.

Guenter
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: The Theory Of Everything - 02/14/15 03:29 PM
Nice song with interesting lyrics. This is a nice melody and arrangement. The vocalist did a good job for you but I'm in agreement with Guenter regarding the effect on the vocals but understand that is a personal production choice and other than noticing it during my listen, it did not detract from the quality of your song. Nice job, enjoyed listening and looking forward to hearing more from you soon.

Charlie
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: The Theory Of Everything - 02/14/15 03:48 PM
Nice mix, well performed, I like the effect on the vocal, thanks for sharing!
Posted By: RnAM Re: The Theory Of Everything - 02/14/15 09:12 PM
Hi Janne,

We think this song is quite well done, one nit though:
we are kind of wondering why you hired a vocalist for this, because we probably would have liked to hear your own vocals?
And yes, we are also wondering was it pricey?

Regards,
Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Theory Of Everything - 02/15/15 06:06 AM
Thanks for all the comments, I'm glad to hear you liked my song.

Gunter & Charlie: I haven't much mixed real vocals, so maybe have overused some of the effects (compressor, eq, chorus, reverb), although I'm content with the result.
Rob & Anne-Marie: even a vocaloid can sing better than me, so I rather leave it to a professional than disturb my neighbors. That's why I use BIAB instruments and not play myself. Hiring a vocalist for just one song is expensive, you get yearly BIAB update with that money, but people buy boats and cars just for hobby, I hope my music is equally good "investment" smile

Janne
Posted By: tommyad Re: The Theory Of Everything - 02/15/15 10:32 AM
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Janne,

interesting lyrics. Very nice chord progression. And what an arrangement! Entertaining from the start.
You chose a good singer. I wonder how much it cost.
There's an effect on the vocals that distracts me a little.
Nevertheless a very good listen which I've repeated several times.
Funny video.

Guenter

+1, I agree with Guenter. Great arrangement. I thought the vocal was over processed. Just a little delay and reverb would have been my preference. Since you hired the vocalist, you might as well let his natural voice shine through. Anyway you look at it. It stands up very well. Good Job! Tom
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: The Theory Of Everything - 02/15/15 12:49 PM
We enjoyed it and agree with both Tom and
Guenter regarding the vocal processing. Just
let it shine through the mix. Really a cool
write and production...And not every day
you hear a love song reference a particle
collider!

J&B
Posted By: dcuny Re: The Theory Of Everything - 02/15/15 06:45 PM
Fun song.

As others have noted, the processing detracts from the vocal because you hear the effects rather than the vocals.

I agree with Tommy on the theory that if I've hired a vocalist, I'm going to want to hear what I paid for! wink

Thank for posting - nice and upbeat track.
Posted By: Sundance Re: The Theory Of Everything - 02/16/15 03:34 AM
Originally Posted By: PgFantastic
Nice mix, well performed, I like the effect on the vocal, thanks for sharing!

I agree with Robert. For this style, I thought it fit fine. Cute video too.

Josie
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: The Theory Of Everything - 02/16/15 06:48 AM
It's great to hear something from outside the square. This choice of funk feel isn't used often enough in compositions, and you must be very please with your results here. Sax works nice, as does the lead break. Great effort really!
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Theory Of Everything - 02/16/15 01:04 PM
Thanks Tom, Janice&Bud, David for positive comments and over processed feedback wink Because I can't hear a problem with the vocal effects, they sound the way I like it, I have made a test render: Theory Of Effect, there are 6 takes of the first verse, now please tell me which ones you like, and which take removes the problem.

Thanks Josie & VideoTrack for liking the way it is smile I wish too there were more funk/soul songs here. I like this type of blue-eyed soul with a funky flavor, and yes I'm pleased with the result, BIAB has made it possible to realize my vision with a song I love to hear over and over again smile

Janne
Posted By: Scott C Re: The Theory Of Everything - 02/16/15 05:12 PM
Song has a very neat feel to it. Well done
Posted By: floyd jane Re: The Theory Of Everything - 02/16/15 08:09 PM
Janne,

A very interesting write! Some very clever lines.

"we are married now in every dimension" - great finish.

Your choices of instrument is inspired (not just saying that because you used one of my clap loops - but that worked well, too!). The horns were VERY well used. Nice drums sound! The guitars are cool! The track ROCKED!

The use of chorus on vocal is unusual (but not unheard of). You could drop it and use a delay instead (which is more conventional), but I think the "problem" (IF there is one, that is) is that the vocal is just a little too "out front" for this type of song. If it were "tucked into the mix" just a bit more, the chorus on the vocal would "work".

The production and mix are very nice (where the vocal sits is a "producer's choice". If I were doing this, I would take a few dB off the vocal - but you need to please yourself first).

A very enjoyable song! It is stuck in my head...

floyd
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: The Theory Of Everything - 02/16/15 10:30 PM
nice arrangement really like the vocal great voice thanks eric
Posted By: FredM Re: The Theory Of Everything - 02/17/15 04:39 PM
Hi Hanney,
This is funky ☺
(as it is supposed to be)
I understand your choice for a paid singer. In the end, like a painting, the song is here to last, and we want it to be perfect, maybe our grandchildren will listen one day ☺

You have got to be proud, as it is a great song!

Fred
Posted By: Noel96 Re: The Theory Of Everything - 02/18/15 09:28 AM
Hi Janne,

What a brilliant arrangement! You certainly have a flair for production. You also have a great sense of melody and harmony. I enjoyed the journey.

All the best,
Noel

Posted By: jannesan Re: The Theory Of Everything - 02/19/15 12:09 PM
Thanks for your kind and flattering comments Scott, Eric, Fred, Noel.
Floyd, thanks for being so analytical, always nice to read long comments smile You are right that the vocal is too out front, at least in some parts. Most likely my compressor settings are totally wrong wink I'll check that again.

Janne
© PG Music Forums