PG Music Home
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Die A Little At A Time - 02/16/15 04:04 AM
Here is a short country song done in the style of Waylon Jennings.

Hope you enjoy. Created in BIAB and recorded and mixed entirely in RealBand. Comments welcome.

Die A Little At A Time

****** Song Summary *************
Title: Die A Little At A Time
File:Die A Little At A Time.SGU
Key=C , Tempo 114, Length (m:s)=2:37
Style is _FPBRTEV.STY (2 EvFgerpickGuitars wBand[120RS])

RealTracks in style: ~684:Bass, Electric, PopHalfNotesSync Ev 120
RealTracks in style: ~405:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Ev 120
RealTracks in style: ~1677:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking CountryBrent Ev 120
RealTracks in style: ~522:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 120
RealTracks in song: ~405:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Ev 120
RealTracks in song: ~685:Harmonica, Background Pop Ev 120
RealDrums in Song: BossaRockPerc^1-a:Congas , b:Percussion Busy

Die A little at a time

I wake up in the morning with no sunshine
fighting a battle I may never win
you left me with this burden on my mind
and I'll die just a little at a time

when you left you broke this heart of mine
broke it into a thousand tiny pieces
you left me with this burden on my mind

instrumental break

Well I wake up in the morning with no sunshine
fighting a battle I may never win
my heart is broken into a thousand tiny pieces
a little at a time
Posted By: RichMac Re: Die A Little At A Time - 02/16/15 06:37 AM
Good song in a style I love. Much enjoyed. Cheers.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Die A Little At A Time - 02/16/15 06:44 AM
Charlie

Really liked the entire song. Great introduction, good lyrics, nice feel throughout.

The harmonica was especially influential in the breaks.

Nice job all 'round.
Posted By: rsdean Re: Die A Little At A Time - 02/16/15 09:17 AM
Charlie,

I really enjoyed this one. Great vocal and loved the harmonica.

Bob
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Die A Little At A Time - 02/16/15 09:24 AM
Hi Charlie,

I really enjoyed the listen. The mood you created with your singing, your arrangement and your production was really excellent. It's two enthusiastic thumbs up from me!

Regards,
Noel

Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Die A Little At A Time - 02/16/15 10:02 AM
Very very nice Charlie. The vocal on this one is great. So gentle. I enjoyed it very much.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Die A Little At A Time - 02/16/15 01:28 PM
RichMac - Thanks for stopping by. I was very much influenced by Waylon Jennings music and wrote this song many years ago when just starting out learning and playing music.

Trevor - I appreciate you listening and taking time to comment. Glad you enjoyed it. The harmonica was heard in a lot of Waylon's early songs. I thought it fit the song well too.

Bob - Thanks for listening. This seems like a song that would catch your attention.

Noel - I always look forward to your comments. I'm glad you enjoyed this one.

Josie - Always glad to hear from you. Thanks for listening. I was probably enjoying your Facebook video of your live performance with your friends doing John Denver's "Back Home Again " about the same time you listened to this tune here on the forum. Good job on the cover.
Posted By: boehm Re: Die A Little At A Time - 02/16/15 01:57 PM
Hi Charlie,

very gentle song. Your voice and the nice arrangement deliver the mood of the lyrics very well.
I really enjoyed the listen.

Guenter
Posted By: Sundance Re: Die A Little At A Time - 02/16/15 01:59 PM
Very heartfelt vocal which I enjoyed and nice chord changes.

Josie
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Die A Little At A Time - 02/16/15 02:05 PM
Very nice tune!! Music and arrangement are very pleasant and sweet. As others have said, excellent vocal. Love the vibe of this one!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Scott C Re: Die A Little At A Time - 02/16/15 05:14 PM
Hi Charlie I also love this style of music. Excellent story. Well done
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Die A Little At A Time - 02/16/15 08:44 PM
Charlie,

Nice production. It fit the song perfectly. And a good mix.

The real standout here, though, is your vocal. You really "brought it" on this. (with a nice Waylon feel, too). Heartfelt. Or, actually... "broken-hearted-felt"...

floyd
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Die A Little At A Time - 02/16/15 10:14 PM
hi charlie this is very well done love the chord changes vocal harp everything eric
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Die A Little At A Time - 02/16/15 11:23 PM
Guenter - Thanks for listening. Glad you found it enjoyable.

Josie - I appreciate your comments. I've been singing this one a long time and I'm partial to the early Waylon Jennings style. Must have helped me out this time. ;=)

Greg - Thanks for taking time to listen and comment. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Scott - Thanks. This is my favorite style. Thanks for stopping by.

Floyd - Always look forward to your thoughts on a song. Thanks for listening. Using a new mic on this one. Maybe it helped...

F.M.M. - Thanks. Yep, you hear this chord progression in a lot of Americana and 70's country music. Favorite style of mine too.
Posted By: gruverider Re: Die A Little At A Time - 02/16/15 11:29 PM
Love the intro with the staggered introduction of instruments. And the vibe from the vocals to the mix are all spot on.

Super job! much enjoyed!

Oh on second listen, I just heard the percussion that precedes the drums. Excellent touch!
Posted By: FredM Re: Die A Little At A Time - 02/17/15 04:16 PM
Hi Charlie,

A classic!
Sung in this introvert style this song needs. This is a great write! This is one of my favourites since I joined the forum!
Simplicity reveals the genius!

Tipping my hat,

Fred
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Die A Little At A Time - 02/17/15 06:02 PM
We miss Waylon -- a lot. I think I
have his whole catalog.

This is indeed reminiscent of his
style. Your vocal and the harp
really nail it.

Thanks for the enjoyable trip
back a few years...to a time when
country music was, well, music.

J&B
Posted By: tommyad Re: Die A Little At A Time - 02/18/15 01:18 PM

This is indeed reminiscent of Waylon's
style. Your vocal and the harp
really nail it.

J&B[/quote]

Charlie, You've never sounded better! The restraint in the vocal brings it home. I really like the write and the mix sounds great. This is the real deal. Tom
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Die A Little At A Time - 02/18/15 05:37 PM
Gruverider - Thanks for listening. It was a fun song to do and I'm glad you enjoyed it. Even more so that you went back for seconds.

Fred - I really appreciate your nice compliment. It means a lot. It's always fun to make someone's favorite list.

Janice and Bud - Thanks for listening and commenting. Waylon was a big influence for me. I even had an old fender guitar finished in the same style as his. Of course, his songs fit right into the country rock band's playlist I played in back in the day. I'm glad I got it close enough to make your memories enjoyable.

Tommy - I always look forward to your thoughts and comments. My chest puffed out a little today and I'm still smiling. Thanks for listening. And.... I'll take a vocal compliment anytime I can get one!
Posted By: cavalier blanc Re: Die A Little At A Time - 02/20/15 06:57 AM
beautifull song...Il like the arrangement (Viva BIAB)
Posted By: George Nelson Re: Die A Little At A Time - 02/20/15 07:19 AM
Nice song and well sung.
Enjoyed the listen.

George
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Die A Little At A Time - 02/20/15 11:21 AM
Nice one Charlie. Well done all around. What's the new mic? Inquiring minds and all......

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Die A Little At A Time - 02/20/15 12:18 PM
White Ryder and George,

Thanks for stopping by and taking a listen. Much appreciated.

Charlie
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Die A Little At A Time - 02/20/15 12:23 PM
Hi Bob. Thanks for listening.

The Mic is new to me but not a new mic. It is a ribbon mic I purchased quite a while back off Craigslist and had never used previously. Wasn't sure it even worked. I purchased it along with a Presonus tube preamp. The preamp was my primary interest, the mic was included with the purchase. I did not use the preamp in this recording, already going through a Presonus preamp with the Audiobox.

I'm not where I can look at the mic to tell what the name brand or model number is at the moment. It came in a shoe box...

I'll check it later today and post the information.

Charlie
Posted By: RnAM Re: Die A Little At A Time - 02/20/15 07:36 PM
A nice and sweet song Charlie.
We like it very much!

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Die A Little At A Time - 02/21/15 09:29 PM
Bob, I examined the mic and it is a Nady RSM-2 Ribbon Mic that I used for this recording
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Die A Little At A Time - 02/22/15 03:02 PM
Charlie,

I like this song a lot! In fact, this is my new favorite Charlie Fogle song! GREAT job on the vocals... you did the song justice, providing exactly the feel it needed!

I really liked the concept of dying a little at a time. Unfortunately, it creates a mental image of being tied spread-eagled over a fire ant hill. Not the way I want to die. wink

Much as I'd like to validate the Waylon Jennings comparison, I'm afraid this ol' music reprobate is not familiar with that artist. But based on the responses you've gotten from virtually everybody else, I have to believe you absolutely nailed his style!

The harmonica really does fit well as accent instrument. My only nit is that I think the song would benefit from a bridge or something else to break up the recurring pattern (which I like a lot)

A lot of people would have over developed this song, but I like the fact that you kept it minimal. As Noel said "two enthusiastic thumbs up!"
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Die A Little At A Time - 02/22/15 08:59 PM
Hey Pat. Glad you stopped by for a listen.

As to the Die A Little at a Time, the comparison in the deep south is to 'pine away' over a lost love.

Now, regarding Waylon Jennings, you probably know more about him than you are aware.

One, his first claim to fame was as a Cricket in Buddy Holly's band. He was the bass player and famously gave up his seat to Big Bopper on that ill-fated flight the night the music died.

Two, Waylon is the original Nashville Outlaw. He is the pioneer of the movement being the first performer winning the rights from the publishers, executives and producers to write and produce his own albums in the Nashville conglomerate.

Three, he was the narrator of the original Dukes of Hazzard TV show and also wrote and recorded the Dukes of Hazzard theme song - Good Ole Boys.

If you listened to any country back in the day, you may recall his song with Willie Nelson, "Mama Don' Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys". Other hits are "Amanda", "Good Hearted Woman" and "Lukenback, Texas".

He was inducted to the Country Music Hall of Fame in 2001.

Trivia: This is the first 'real' song written by me. Did it around 1968. Musically speaking, at that time, a bridge was something you drove a car over a body of water in my mind. Also, a fourth chord in the progression wasn't happening either.

Technically, I had a song copyrighted in my name in 1958 by a cousin of my Mother's. He was a professional song writer and I thought that was cool. I bravely told him I was a songwriter too. He had me sing my 'original song' to him and a few weeks after our visit, I received a manila envelope with a lead sheet and US copyright of my 'song' in the mail as a gift.

Thanks for listening and glad you liked the song. I'll probably keep using this old microphone - Surprised at the good vocals comments but my wife (sometimes a brutal critic) said they were good too.

Charlie
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Die A Little At A Time - 02/22/15 10:21 PM
that mic is definitely a keeper!

I appreciate the lowdown on Mr Jennings... you're right.. I had more awareness of him than I realized.

The bit about him narrowly escaping a spot in music history due to the plane crash was news to me.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Die A Little At A Time - 02/22/15 11:26 PM
Charlie,

That microphone is a good fit to your voice. The song is pretty good too. laugh
© PG Music Forums