PG Music Home
Posted By: JoanneCooper Fancy Underwear - the video - 02/27/15 08:11 AM
FANCY UNDERWEAR ON YOUTUBE

Some of you may remember this song that I wrote in early 2013. I recently rerecorded and remixed it for my album.

I thought you may be interested in seeing the video I have put together. Have a look at 0.36 where the audience holds their hands over their ears while the guy is singing.

Sometimes I feel like that!

Realtracks are:
RealTracks in song: ~537:Bass, Acoustic, Pop Sw 165
RealTracks in song: ~615:Harmonica, Background HeeHaw Sw 165
RealTracks in song: ~373:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Hank Sw 165
RealTracks in song: ~~610:Mandolin, Rhythm Chop Sw 120
RealDrums in style: NashvilleSwing8^5-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, HiHat

Lyrics:
They tell me I should dance like no one’s watching
I’d sure like to sing like no one cares
But when I dance why do my friends make fun of me
My neighbour shuts her doors when I play

Burn the candles use the best sheets
Wear my fancy underwear
Why is this impossible when you’re not here
Wont wear my fancy underwear

They tell me I must give attention to the now
Not dwell on a past I cannot change
To fret about the future is the very worst
Life so uncertain eat pudding first

Burn the candles use the best sheets
Wear my fancy underwear
Why is this impossible when you’re not here

Kiss slowly love deeply
Let go of what you need
This is just unthinkable
when life’s no longer sweet

Comments are appreciated.
Posted By: rsdean Re: Fancy Underwear - the video - 02/27/15 08:18 AM
Joanne,

LOL! I remember this song - love the vintage footage in the video. Very nice job on this... smile

Bob
Posted By: musiclover Re: Fancy Underwear - the video - 02/27/15 08:20 AM
Absolutely brilliant Josie, I really enjoyed that song and the video fits perfectly.

You have done a fab mix here, couldn't be any better in my opinion. You really know your stuff as regards mixing and mastering, the harmonies sound great too, comes across as done by yourself?

This song is so good it would deserve to be heard by a wide audience. I hope it does well for you.

Musiclover
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Fancy Underwear - the video - 02/27/15 08:25 AM
Hi Bob - Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it. Your videos are an inspiration to me and makes me more determined to make better videos. The vintage stuff is great.

Musiclover - The harmonies etc were done by me. Mixing and mastering is continuing to be a challenge but getting easier. Glad you enjoyed the song. When I wrote it I never thought it was much good as I wrote in honestly about 1/2 an hour. Maybe it will come into its own...
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Fancy Underwear - the video - 02/27/15 09:16 AM
Joanne
the video clip just makes all of this sit like a well choreographed and thought-out production. Great job, and lots of good research. The catchy tune and the great vision go so well together.

Well done
Trevor
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Fancy Underwear - the video - 02/27/15 09:46 AM
Wow Josie, great video and really good mix. I also think you've written a very strong song here. The song would stand well by itself but along with the video, it's top notch.

This has quickly become one of my favorites of yours. Good stuff.

Charlie

ps: I noticed around 1:55 of the video, in the beginning, the trumpet player is tapping in time with your song. Good editing.
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Fancy Underwear - the video - 02/27/15 09:56 AM
Hi Trevor - Thanks for that. I really didn't think too much about this one. It just sort of "happened". I did try to match the clips with the lyrics as much as possible but was limited in my choice of clips.

Charlie - Thank you so much. I think the trumpet player playing in time was also just a stroke of luck. No fancy editing. But I did notice it when reviewing the video.
Posted By: FredM Re: Fancy Underwear - the video - 02/27/15 10:03 AM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Joanne,

LOL! I remember this song - love the vintage footage in the video. Very nice job on this... smile

Bob

+1 here Josie
You always manage to paint a smile on my face!

F
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Fancy Underwear - the video - 02/27/15 10:32 AM
Fun vid and all the better
as the foundation is a good
song. Great idea with the
old footage.

Cool way to start our
day.

J&B
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Fancy Underwear - the video - 02/27/15 11:58 AM
Thank you Fred and Bud and Janice. Glad I got your day off to a good start!
Posted By: boehm Re: Fancy Underwear - the video - 02/27/15 12:23 PM
Hi Joanne,

Charlie nailed it: "Great video and really good mix. I also think you've written a very strong song here. The song would stand well by itself but along with the video, it's top notch."
A really enjoayble watch/listen.

Guenter
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Fancy Underwear - the video - 02/27/15 12:40 PM
Joanne,

I liked the production and the video... but I'm not sure I understand the point you are making.

I started off thinking that it was a song about not falling into the trap of setting good things aside for "someday" (that might never come)... a song about living life fully without worrying about public opinion or the possibility of using precious resources when circumstances don't call for it.

But then you ended with the opposite of that sentiment by saying that you WON'T wear your fancy underwear. So I'm not sure I got your point. Can you elaborate a little more?
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Fancy Underwear - the video - 02/27/15 12:46 PM
Joanne,

The video is a fun watch.

Good mix on the song...

fj
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Fancy Underwear - the video - 02/27/15 01:53 PM
Wow! You have a classic folk voice.
Well written.
Loved the video especially the musicians playing to the lady on the second story.
Good work.
Rob.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Fancy Underwear - the video - 02/27/15 03:20 PM
When there's a song called Fancy Underwear with a video, I'm there!! A little different than I expected but it was a lot of fun. Really nice job on the song-write, arrangement, and vocal. The harmonica could not have been any better if you hired the guy for this song! Really enjoyed! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Fancy Underwear - the video - 02/27/15 08:48 PM
Hi Josie,

I remember this song from the first post! It's a great video you've put together to accompany it - very entertaining. I enjoyed the journey.

Regards,
Noel

Posted By: RnAM Re: Fancy Underwear - the video - 02/27/15 09:10 PM
Hello Joanne,

We hadn't heard this song before... but it's nice and funny.
The backing vocals are very solid by the way. A nicely compiled video of public domain images, well done!

Rob & Anne-Marie
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Fancy Underwear - the video - 02/28/15 03:17 AM
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Joanne,

Charlie nailed it: "Great video and really good mix. I also think you've written a very strong song here. The song would stand well by itself but along with the video, it's top notch."
A really enjoayble watch/listen.

Guenter

Thank you Guenter. I appreciate it.
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Fancy Underwear - the video - 02/28/15 03:29 AM
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
Joanne,

I liked the production and the video... but I'm not sure I understand the point you are making.

Hi Pat.
The idea of the song is that everybody is always saying you must dance like no ones watching, live life for today as if there is no tomorrow. Burn candles, use the best sheets etc. The point of the song is that I CANT do that when you are not here. I'm just gonna sit here and be miserable! I, especially, just cannot wear my fancy underwear if you're not here!

Its interesting in that I thought it quite clear in this particular song but I guess that is what happens with song writing. It is quite clear in the writer's head but comes out quite different to the listener. The challenge is to put the idea across succinctly.
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Fancy Underwear - the video - 02/28/15 03:30 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Joanne,

The video is a fun watch.

Good mix on the song...

fj

Thank you Floyd. Always appreciate your comments.
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Fancy Underwear - the video - 02/28/15 03:37 AM
Thank You Rob. I am glad you like the guys playing the instruments to the lady in the window on the second floor. It is classic. Especially the one that lost out trying to pull the other one down by the foot.

Hi Noel - Thanks for giving the video a whirl.

Greg - I agree that Heehaw harmonica certainly fits the bill for this song. I hope I didnt disappoint with the video. I thought it was a bit risky tying "Fancy Underwear" into Google's search engine for public domain images. You never know what you will come up with!

Rob and Ann Marie - Glad you enjoyed it. Thank you so much
Posted By: gibson Re: Fancy Underwear - the video - 02/28/15 06:43 AM
Josie,

I got lost in the film as I watched that.And the music seemed to fit so well.

Those old clips are wonderful to watch.

Now to go back for another watch!

Alyn
Posted By: ROG Re: Fancy Underwear - the video - 02/28/15 08:29 AM
Hi Joanne.

Great song and cool video.

The whole thing blends well and makes a very professional package.

Made me smile!

ROG.
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Fancy Underwear - the video - 02/28/15 09:46 AM
Thank you so much Roger and Alyn. Glad you enjoyed it. It certainly was quite a bit of fun to make.
Posted By: gruverider Re: Fancy Underwear - the video - 03/03/15 05:17 AM
Love it!!! But why in the end of the chorus won't she ware her fancy underwear? I missed something in the narrative.
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Fancy Underwear - the video - 03/03/15 03:07 PM
Hi Lawrence. The song is basically saying that even though everybody says you should dance like no ones watching and wear your fancy underwear live like there is no tomorrow, I simply can't do it, I can't wear my fancy underwear because you are not here. Hope it makes sense now.
Posted By: tommyad Re: Fancy Underwear - the video - 03/03/15 07:21 PM
Joanne, Great job on the video and the melody is very catchy. I enjoyed both the listen and the watch. Tom
Posted By: Sundance Re: Fancy Underwear - the video - 03/05/15 11:22 PM
Now that was fun! I've always liked this song and the video is so cute.

Josie
Posted By: RichMac Re: Fancy Underwear - the video - 03/06/15 03:48 AM
What a fabulous song and super video.
That was indeed fun! Cheers.
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Fancy Underwear - the video - 03/06/15 07:38 AM
Thank you so much Josie, Rich and Tommy. Rich thanks for popping in at my Streetjelly show the other night. I know it is the middle of the night for you! Sorry you couldn't get any audio though!
© PG Music Forums