PG Music Home
Posted By: Jim Fogle I'm Glad I'm Not In New England - 02/28/15 10:37 PM
Pat Marr's recent thread about ++ SNOW ++ and news articles about how much snow parts of New England have received this winter led me to create a parody song to the tune of Yankee Doodle.

It's not much but was written, recorded and posted in less than five hours. Got to be some kind of record for me! grin

++ I'm Glad I'm Not In New England ++
Posted By: rsdean Re: I'm Glad I'm Not In New England - 02/28/15 10:51 PM
Jim,

LOL! I'm in New York, so I can relate. smile

Bob
Posted By: Noel96 Re: I'm Glad I'm Not In New England - 02/28/15 10:59 PM
Hi JIm,

I love that march you've used. Is it MARCH_16.STY? It's such a lively, happy and cheerful backing.

Out of curiosity, did you try the song transposed up a tone? I found myself wondering what kind of impact on the final result this would have. It would be interesting to compare.

Overall, though, I liked what you put together. Snow is something that's very foreign to me here in Australia. We have it on the higher mountains in winter but that's all. I was in my early 20s before I had any kind of adventure in snow.

Thanks for entertaining me smile

All the best,
Noel

Posted By: AudioTrack Re: I'm Glad I'm Not In New England - 02/28/15 11:11 PM
Nice fun tune Jim. I wonder if the level of the woodwind (clarinet?) could be reduced a bit. Might give it better balance.

Best
Trevor
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: I'm Glad I'm Not In New England - 03/01/15 01:43 AM
very amusing song, Jim!
Perfect style for a humorous tune... I'm not sure I've ever heard that one before! but it worked!

The snow is working its way into all kinds of different threads, isn't it?

wink
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: I'm Glad I'm Not In New England - 03/01/15 03:15 AM
LOL Yankee Doodle lives again.
Send some snow down here please.
I'm sitting in my underpants.
Rob
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: I'm Glad I'm Not In New England - 03/01/15 10:22 AM
Glad you decided to post this. I listened on Soundclick and thought you had done a pretty good job. Enjoyed my listen.

Charlie
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: I'm Glad I'm Not In New England - 03/01/15 10:47 AM
Cool comedy song....

I too thought the key was several steps too low for the vocals.
Posted By: boehm Re: I'm Glad I'm Not In New England - 03/01/15 11:24 AM
Hi Jim,

very funny song!
You chose a perfect style for it.

Guenter
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I'm Glad I'm Not In New England - 03/01/15 12:40 PM
Yeah man, that was a good laugh and
we enjoyed it...particularly given how
bleak it looks out the window at
the moment!

Thanks for brightening things up a bit.

J&B
Posted By: floyd jane Re: I'm Glad I'm Not In New England - 03/01/15 01:24 PM
Jim,

Super enjoyable! Clever lyric.

You did a great job of assembling a marching band.

Where did the Marching Bells sound come from? You must have been doing editing of a midi track to get it to fit so well...

A great listen(s)!

floyd
Posted By: FredM Re: I'm Glad I'm Not In New England - 03/03/15 05:53 AM
Jim,

A smile on my face to start of the new day!

Enjoyed,

Fred
Posted By: gruverider Re: I'm Glad I'm Not In New England - 03/03/15 05:43 PM
much enjoyed!
Posted By: tommyad Re: I'm Glad I'm Not In New England - 03/03/15 07:54 PM
Jim, Very Funny! Great choice of real tracks. All you really can do is laugh about it. Easy for me to say living in SW FL. Tom
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: I'm Glad I'm Not In New England - 03/03/15 11:58 PM
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for listening.

rsdean, I bet everyone in the Northeast has seen enough snow this year!

Noel, You are correct. The song was made using the March_16 style. All the instrumentation is midi generated. The voices were doubled by rendering to audio using Roland's VSC and TTS-1 software sound modules.

Trever, I agree the clarinet is a little loud. I did not pay attention to levels as I should.

Pat, I'm glad OUR snow has come and gone! laugh

Rob, A man in Boston is SELLING a box of snow for $89 US! He reported to the news he sold 123 boxes in a week.

Herb, Normally the key, "A", works well with my voice. That night the voice was froggy but I really wanted to post the song; so I did despite the frog.

Guenter, Thanks for your comment. It felt like a childish song so I found a style children might like.

Janice & Bud, It was looking pretty bright and white when the song struck me but life has returned to bleary, dreary winter again. Spring is on the way!

Floyd, the March_16 atyle did all the work. I didn't edit any tracks. The marching bells are the Glockenspiel instrument sounds of the TTS-1 and VSC virtual sound modules.

Fred, Sometimes it's nice to have some fun. I'm glad you enjoyed the song.

Gruverider, Thank for taking the time to listen and comment.

Tommy, The nice thing about living in NC is it can snow one day and be 60 degrees the next. I'm just glad our houses have heaters. I have friends that live on the panhandle and their home doesn't have heaters so every time a serious cold snap occurs they have to fire up a portable kerosene heater!
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: I'm Glad I'm Not In New England - 03/04/15 06:19 PM
Fun write!! I wasn't sure what to expect when I saw the title. Here in California, we've had Spring all Winter long. I'd welcome some snow (or rain). Enjoyed it! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: I'm Glad I'm Not In New England - 03/04/15 07:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Fun write!! I wasn't sure what to expect when I saw the title. Here in California, we've had Spring all Winter long. I'd welcome some snow (or rain). Enjoyed it! Take care. Greg

Here you go Greg... "... A man in Boston is SELLING a box of snow for $89 US! He reported to the news he sold 123 boxes in a week. I'll bet at such a deal there's probably free shipping too!
Posted By: Sundance Re: I'm Glad I'm Not In New England - 03/05/15 10:55 PM
Me too! What fun Jim.

Much enjoyed.

Josie
© PG Music Forums