PG Music Home
Posted By: Jeff S Soloist Showcase - 03/01/15 01:19 AM
https://soundcloud.com/jsting1/pound-for-pound

Can you create epic solo's with BIAB real tracks? You bet you can. It's a busy piece but I set out to see how far I could drag out a 3 1/2 minute solo that would have an evolving lead and add new elements of interest all the way through. As you know one of the short comings of the soloist real tracks is that BIAB is not a human and while it can stitch together recorded elements of a real musician it lacks creativity.

I used real tracks exclusively and used a custom amp setting in Amplitube to get the lead sound.

I really love how this turned out. I hope you do too. I will post a couple of more soloist tracks in a bit.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Soloist Showcase - 03/01/15 01:46 AM
I feel like I just came from a Bad Company concert!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Soloist Showcase - 03/01/15 01:51 AM
Jeff,

You've assembled these Realtracks musically and with flair. They're stitched together seamlessly. I enjoyed the listen.

Regards,
Noel

Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Soloist Showcase - 03/01/15 10:19 AM
Well done. Enjoyable listen.

Charlie
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Soloist Showcase - 03/01/15 10:33 AM
Very cool.

I'd like to know more about it. Loved the whammy bar dive at 1:37....

What tracks and styles are in use here?

How many tracks did you use to create the solo?

What DAW was used to mix?

It's actually pretty amazing the things you can do with RB if you have the foresight, and are willing to take the time to cross the "t"s and dot the "i"s.....

I used 5 RB guitar solo tracks a few years back to make one composite solo in a song. http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11971116 solo starts at 1:12

Your piece of music was good..... well done in fact.
Posted By: boehm Re: Soloist Showcase - 03/01/15 11:32 AM
Hi Jeff,

you did a good job here.
Enjoyable listen.
Like Herb I'd like to have some more information.

Guenter
Posted By: Jeff S Re: Soloist Showcase - 03/01/15 11:49 AM
Thanks for the compliments. As far as styles I pretty much created this one, auditioning individual real tracks and selecting them as the song started to take shape. The drum and bass tracks are just one of the hard rock styles, don't remember exactly without loading the base tracks and checking. The rhythm guitars I believe were from the LA Guitar real tracks. I did a lot of heavy editing with all the guitar tracks.

For the soloist I used the heavy metal and a couple of the praise styles. All of the styles that were available really. The only caveat is that they all had to have a DI version. I used 12 soloist tracks to create the solo. The heavy metal styles make up the bulk of the licks but I did draw from all the styles at some point. The whammy dive was in only one generation of real tracks at that specific point in the song. A good part of the solo was clipped to fit around the Whammy which was really awkward sounding at first. I used Amplitube to get the custom sound.

Work flow began in BIAB just to get the form. I then regenerated the DI version of the tracks multiple times and dragged them into Reaper as WAV files. All the cut work, mixing and guitar amps were done in the DAW. I don't know if other DAW's allow it, I'm sure they probably do but Reaper lets me collapse several tracks as one take to a single track. This allows me to cut and dice all the tracks at once and audition and select each piece. When I'm happy I render the track and mute the original. It makes the process a lot easier than trying edit 12 separate tracks.

The only thing I'm really disappointed in is the fact that the metal soloist tracks lack any really good endings. I spent hours working to get an acceptable ending and I couldn't which Is why their is a fade out at the end.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Soloist Showcase - 03/01/15 12:19 PM
Excellent use of varied RT's and
the mix nails it.

Nice.

J&B
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Soloist Showcase - 03/01/15 01:32 PM
Jeff,

You could simply cut and paste what I said in your other post for this one....

Awesome listen.

Super nice job of creating a believable solo - for such a long time - great pace to it - good balance of passages - never gets "tired". I assume you have the full version of Amplitude?

Excellent mix.

floyd
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Soloist Showcase - 03/01/15 02:37 PM
Excellent job with the RT's! Good energy, and fits together nicely. Really enjoyed it.

Steve
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Soloist Showcase - 03/02/15 09:29 AM
Thanks for the explanation.... 12 solo RT's...wow.... I bet you were like that one armed wallpaper hanger .....

The result of your hard work was worth it.

Yup... I often find that sometimes only one RT render does a particular thing in the music....and trying to get it to duplicate it again is impossible. That's what's so cool about RB.

Most of the good DAW's allow you to edit and copy, paste and nudge the clips. I've found that one isn't necessarily better than another. They will all get the job done, it's just that some do it in different ways.
Quote:

The only thing I'm really disappointed in is the fact that the metal soloist tracks lack any really good endings. I spent hours working to get an acceptable ending and I couldn't which Is why their is a fade out at the end.

And there's a good reason for that.... metal guitarists don't know how to stop shredding.....

That is one of the real challenges sometimes... and that is to end the song properly and in a believable manner. I don't like to fade the endings. I always try to find a way to end the song in some sort of button ending. I will sometimes hear something back in the song that works well and do a copy/paste into the end. I have also used VSTi instruments to create a note or two in the endings of songs. If that's done right, no one is the wiser.

However, for the most part, BB, as you are creating the song will let you either choose the default ending for that style or you can draw in your own ending. Almost 100% of those.....especially the custom endings work out perfectly.
Posted By: FredM Re: Soloist Showcase - 03/03/15 05:45 AM
Originally Posted By: Steve Young
Excellent job with the RT's! Good energy, and fits together nicely. Really enjoyed it.

Steve

I got a great live feel out of it! Mission accomplished!!!

Fred
© PG Music Forums