PG Music Home
Posted By: Jeff S I Don't Understand - 03/09/15 02:36 PM
https://soundcloud.com/jsting1/i-dont-understand

This song was recorded with all Realtracks. I do customize them a lot so I don't have a list of the ones used.

I absolutely hate the sound of my own voice but the vocals turned out ok and I think the fiddle plays along nicely in the background. Anyways give a listen. A bit of Rock, a bit of country and a bit of praise. Constructive criticism is welcomed.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: I Don't Understand - 03/09/15 03:40 PM
Jeff, you might add a bit more reverb to the vocal, and the heavy distortion guitar intro maybe didn't match the song so well. Take out the distortion might be a better match. Just ideas anyway.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: I Don't Understand - 03/09/15 04:50 PM
Jeff,

Seems a good write for the Contemporary Christian genre (though I'm not real familiar with that style).

I like how you set the fiddle underneath. Great drum sound - it carries the opening verse and chorus nicely. I like the arrangement overall, too. I thought you might add a clean arp guitar in the second verse - simple, subtle, but a bit of build. The bridge has a good full sound. I think there is a piano added to the last verse - which I think is a good idea - but it needs to be brought up in the mix to be a solid part of things and help drive that last verse and chorus. It's so soft I was left "guessing" if it was there...

I agree with Trevor about adding more reverb to the vocal. Your production seems well suited for that.

floyd
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: I Don't Understand - 03/09/15 05:36 PM
Nice song!! I think the guitar (as sweet as it is) is a bit heavy for the feel of the song. Maybe if it were tamed with more reverb and less volume it could fit better. Really like the feel of the song, and fiddle works great. I think Floyd's right that the guitar could come up. Nice work! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Jeff S Re: I Don't Understand - 03/09/15 06:15 PM
Great ideas. I don't know if I'm willing to give up the rock distortion on the lead guitar but I agree it could be set back a bit in the mix with a bit of verb on it. It does over power the opening vocal which is subdued to the point that it seems like an abrupt change.

I like the idea of bringing the piano up. I originally didn't as I though it would be too busy. There is an acoustic track with a picked guitar in there as well that I thought would get lost competing with the piano.

As far as adding verb to the vocals this is something I really struggle with. I'm not a very dynamic singer and when I add verb my voice gets tinny sounding and loses body. I've tried EQ to bring the mids back up but it tends to get hollow sounding. I've tried several mics and find the sure 57 adds some midrange but only if I get up close on it. Of course then I lose what little dynamics (character) I have.

Thanks for the critiques. I tend to get complacent and think its good enough but sometimes extra ears is just what I need.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I Don't Understand - 03/09/15 06:30 PM
One idea you might consider. If the distortion guitar RT has a "direct input" option you can render it clean and then put whatever distortion levels you want on it if you have available amp simulations (some DAW's have a lot of them). Just a little less or sometimes more or a different type can make a huge difference re the way a distortion guitar track sits in the mix. Pardon the ramble...but I'm trying to learn these tricks.

Wherever you take it, it is a nice song!

J&B
Posted By: floyd jane Re: I Don't Understand - 03/09/15 06:38 PM
Originally Posted By: Jeff S
I like the idea of bringing the piano up. I originally didn't as I though it would be too busy. There is an acoustic track with a picked guitar in there as well that I thought would get lost competing with the piano.

Pianos are one of my "soapboxes" (Anyone can tell you, Drums is my other)... A piano is a percussive instrument. If it's part of your mix, it should sound like a piano - loud and proud (this is my spiel) - not like an engineer turned a track way down. It is a good idea to DROP the acoustic by the time you get to a point where something is competing. It opens up your mix - allow that competing instrument (piano) to take over... you don't need the acoustic anymore (that's kind of my 3rd soapbox, but I don't mention it as often)

Quote:

As far as adding verb to the vocals this is something I really struggle with.

Something to experiment with.... make a copy of your vocal - dry. Then add heavy reverb to the other. Pan one left, one right about 10-15% and then play with the volumes of the 2 tracks - it will give you a wide variety of verb and clarity to test out...
Posted By: boehm Re: I Don't Understand - 03/09/15 09:14 PM
Hi Jeff,
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Seems a good write for the Contemporary Christian genre (though I'm not real familiar with that style).

Enjoyable listen.

Guenter
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: I Don't Understand - 03/10/15 04:11 AM
Hi Jeff.
Every thing has been covered by the others.
Not sure if you've been recording your own voice for long?
You will get used to hearing it.
Think of your voice as another instrument.
At least that's what I do.
Too me your voice sounds great any way.
Touch of Willie Nelson there.
Rob.
Posted By: gibson Re: I Don't Understand - 03/10/15 05:09 AM
Jeff,

I like that distorted guitar.
Quote:
I absolutely hate the sound of my own voice
I spent years like that and as Rob4580 says treat it as an instrument and you will also soon get used to it.

Good advice fro the rest of the gang.

I look forward to more

Alyn
© PG Music Forums