PG Music Home
Posted By: Sundance WILLADEEN - 03/19/15 10:09 PM
Hey y'all,

This is a country bluegrass song about history repeating itself - a teenage girl runs off and gets married - much to her parents chagrin and then her own daughter does the same. Wrote it with Charlene over twenty years ago. I redid the music in BIAB/RB and posted it once back before we got the new forums. It's always been a fav of mine so I spent the last week making a video for it.

WILLADEEN

Thank you for watching!

Josie
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: WILLADEEN - 03/20/15 12:12 AM
I can see why this would be one of your favorites. I think it's my favorite of your songs that I've heard. Good bluegrass music. Very authentic with the lyrics and music. Good job on the harmonies too. To me, this would have been a very good song for the bluegrass/country group, Jim and Jesse. Jim's high harmony would have been perfect on "Willa--deeeeeeeeen"

Enjoyed this one a lot.

Charlie
Posted By: floyd jane Re: WILLADEEN - 03/20/15 12:24 AM
Josie,

No question, one of your best. Good story, good write.

Good mix - good instrumentation for the story. There were a few words that I missed and had to listen a couple of times to get (the "gonna find" for example). Your vocal was very relaxed and "comfortable" - a good thing...

Nicely done video, too.

Enjoyed it.

floyd
Posted By: boehm Re: WILLADEEN - 03/20/15 12:59 AM
Hi Josie,

you know that bluegrass is not my style, but this is a
great performance. Beautiful voice and harmonies.
Nice video.

Guenter
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: WILLADEEN - 03/20/15 03:07 AM
I like it Josie! You did a REALLY nice job building the song... I loved the ending with the banjo by itself, and the fiddle part was excellent from start to finish!

Your vocals are lovely, and the video really captured the essence of the song... and of the rural south... just perfectly!

I remember the first time you posted this, because I remarked that I actually knew a Willadeen when I was a kid. This song is the only other time I've seen that name.

Very nice project, well presented musically, lyrically and visually!
Posted By: rsdean Re: WILLADEEN - 03/20/15 08:46 AM
Hey Josie,

I remember this song as well. Love the video to go along with it. Very nicely done... smile

Bob
Posted By: tommyad Re: WILLADEEN - 03/20/15 02:29 PM
Yee Haw! Really good song. Your voice sounds great on this one. Nicely arranged and mixed. Like it a whole big bunch. Tom
Posted By: ROG Re: WILLADEEN - 03/20/15 03:41 PM
Hi Josie.

Brilliant. Loved every minute. Cool vocals.

Very, VERY, good recording and mix - as professional as it gets.

Great video. Some fancy footwork going on there. Reminds me of dancing "Strip The Willow" in my days on the Isle of Skye.

ROG.
Posted By: RichMac Re: WILLADEEN - 03/20/15 04:04 PM
Love this one Josie! It flows so effortlessly. Video is just right for it too. Cheers.
Posted By: RnAM Re: WILLADEEN - 03/20/15 09:08 PM
Hello Josie,

Oh yes, definitely some nice bluegrass here!
A smooth arrangement, also beautiful and very smooth vocals.
Some of the zooms in the video remind us of Serif's Movieplus. Is this the program you used?

Rob & Anne-Marie
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: WILLADEEN - 03/20/15 09:21 PM
Very nicely done!! Always a treat to hear one of yours, Josie. Well-written song and an excellent delivery (vocal, track choice, arrangement). The truth in the song is almost painful-this kind of stuff happens every day and usually works out about the way you describe. Really good and poignant tune!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: gibson Re: WILLADEEN - 03/21/15 04:04 AM
Josie,

All has been said.
I remember the song from days back and it goes SO well with the video you have done. You have a beautiful voice and it is highlighted on the song.

Great stuff

Alyn
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: WILLADEEN - 03/21/15 11:18 AM
As always Josie excellent.
Where do you find you video material?
Rob.
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: WILLADEEN - 03/21/15 11:32 AM
Josie,
Great song and I really like the video. Thanks for taking the time to post it again. I missed it the first time.
SD
Posted By: Sundance Re: WILLADEEN - 03/21/15 11:58 PM
Originally Posted By: c_fogle
I can see why this would be one of your favorites. I think it's my favorite of your songs that I've heard. Good bluegrass music. Very authentic with the lyrics and music. Good job on the harmonies too. To me, this would have been a very good song for the bluegrass/country group, Jim and Jesse. Jim's high harmony would have been perfect on "Willa--deeeeeeeeen"

Enjoyed this one a lot.

Charlie

Thank you Charlie. A fav of yours means a lot to me.

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Josie,

No question, one of your best. Good story, good write.

Good mix - good instrumentation for the story. There were a few words that I missed and had to listen a couple of times to get (the "gonna find" for example). Your vocal was very relaxed and "comfortable" - a good thing...

Nicely done video, too.

Enjoyed it.

floyd

Appreciate that Floyd. Thank you.

Josie
Posted By: Sundance Re: WILLADEEN - 03/22/15 12:58 AM

Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Josie,

you know that bluegrass is not my style, but this is a
great performance. Beautiful voice and harmonies.
Nice video.

Guenter

Thank you very much Guenter. I sang that one with my trusty old SM58. Glad you liked the video too.

Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
I like it Josie! You did a REALLY nice job building the song... I loved the ending with the banjo by itself, and the fiddle part was excellent from start to finish!

Your vocals are lovely, and the video really captured the essence of the song... and of the rural south... just perfectly!

I remember the first time you posted this, because I remarked that I actually knew a Willadeen when I was a kid. This song is the only other time I've seen that name.

Very nice project, well presented musically, lyrically and visually!

Thank you Pat. Yeah, I was in hog heaven splicing and dicing those RT's - five years ago - time does fly. I'm so happy you got my vision of the video. I appreciate the kind words.

Josie
Posted By: Sundance Re: WILLADEEN - 03/22/15 01:12 AM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Hey Josie,

I remember this song as well. Love the video to go along with it. Very nicely done... smile

Bob

Thank you Bob. You and I started down the video trail together and I'll always be inspired by you. Appreciate it.

Originally Posted By: tommyad
Yee Haw! Really good song. Your voice sounds great on this one. Nicely arranged and mixed. Like it a whole big bunch. Tom

LOL! That guy over on the right side is doing what we called "buck dancing". Thank you Tommy. I appreciate it.

Josie
Posted By: Sundance Re: WILLADEEN - 03/22/15 01:25 AM
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Josie.

Brilliant. Loved every minute. Cool vocals.

Very, VERY, good recording and mix - as professional as it gets.

Great video. Some fancy footwork going on there. Reminds me of dancing "Strip The Willow" in my days on the Isle of Skye.

ROG.

Thank you Roger. I appreciate that so much. As wonderfully musical as you are I bet you cut quite a rug with some fancy footwork yourself. <grin>

Josie
Posted By: Sundance Re: WILLADEEN - 03/22/15 02:00 AM
Originally Posted By: RichMac
Love this one Josie! It flows so effortlessly. Video is just right for it too. Cheers.

I love hearing that from you Rich, thank you very much.

Originally Posted By: R & AM
Hello Josie,

Oh yes, definitely some nice bluegrass here!
A smooth arrangement, also beautiful and very smooth vocals.
Some of the zooms in the video remind us of Serif's Movieplus. Is this the program you used?

Rob & Anne-Marie

Thank you both Rob and Anne-Marie. I appreciate that very much. On this video I used PowerDirector 13 Ultra. I just got it a couple of months ago and I love all the features it has. Some of the zooms were regular fx and others I did by hand using the magic tools motion keyframing.

Josie
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: WILLADEEN - 03/22/15 12:16 PM
From two longtime bluegrass folks.....

KUDOS!!

Nice relaxed vocal delivery and supporting
RT's/mix and a super cool video.

This song flows along like water in
a mountain stream.

We both really enjoyed it.

J&B
Posted By: FredM Re: WILLADEEN - 03/23/15 09:48 AM

Yee Haw! from me to ☺☺☺

Fred
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: WILLADEEN - 03/23/15 04:09 PM
NICE Josie. Loved this one. I don't think I had heard it before. Love the video too. Never heard the name Willadeen before. Fits nicely.
Posted By: gruverider Re: WILLADEEN - 03/25/15 03:22 AM
Floyd said it well, your vocals are relaxed and comfortable. A great mix overall and a wonderful song to showcase it all!
Posted By: dcuny Re: WILLADEEN - 03/26/15 02:38 AM
It's all been said, and they're right.

She's gonna do things Mamma never dreamed

Great ironic line.
Posted By: musiclover Re: WILLADEEN - 03/27/15 09:48 AM
I really like this song Josie. All the instruments sit so perfectly together and your vocal is the icing on the cake.

Video fits in perfectly too.
Musiclover
Posted By: Sundance Re: WILLADEEN - 03/30/15 11:32 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Very nicely done!! Always a treat to hear one of yours, Josie. Well-written song and an excellent delivery (vocal, track choice, arrangement). The truth in the song is almost painful-this kind of stuff happens every day and usually works out about the way you describe. Really good and poignant tune!! Take care. Greg

Thank you Greg. What's that old saying the more things change the more they stay the same.

Originally Posted By: gibson
Josie,

All has been said.
I remember the song from days back and it goes SO well with the video you have done. You have a beautiful voice and it is highlighted on the song.

Great stuff

Alyn

Thank you Alyn. It's one of my personal favs and I'm so happy - actually relieved - LOL - the video came together like it did.

Originally Posted By: Rob4580
As always Josie excellent.
Where do you find you video material?
Rob.

Thank you Rob. That's the hardest most time consuming part. It takes hours and hours of scouring through the public domain.

Josie
Posted By: Sundance Re: WILLADEEN - 03/30/15 11:45 PM
Originally Posted By: SpaceDog
Josie,
Great song and I really like the video. Thanks for taking the time to post it again. I missed it the first time.
SD

Thank you SD. I think you joined the forum about a year or more later. I'm so glad you liked the song and video.

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
From two longtime bluegrass folks.....

KUDOS!!

Nice relaxed vocal delivery and supporting
RT's/mix and a super cool video.

This song flows along like water in
a mountain stream.

We both really enjoyed it.

J&B

Janice and Bud,

Mountain stream - what a sweet compliment.
Thank you.

Josie
Posted By: Sundance Re: WILLADEEN - 03/31/15 12:11 AM
Originally Posted By: FredM

Yee Haw! from me to ☺☺☺

Fred

Thank you Fred and a big old yee haw to you too. grin

Originally Posted By: JosieC
NICE Josie. Loved this one. I don't think I had heard it before. Love the video too. Never heard the name Willadeen before. Fits nicely.

Thank you very much Joanne. A Willadeen went to our school. I didn't know her but years later when writing this song that name popped in my head and Charlene and I loved the way it "sang".

Josie
Posted By: Noel96 Re: WILLADEEN - 04/03/15 06:08 AM
Hi Josie,

I remember this from when you posted it before, too. I thought it was a terrific song then (and still is) and the video now really adds a new dimension. It's great how the square dancing (at least that's what my parents would have called it and I don't know of any other name for it) so closely matches the tempo of your song. Nice touch!

Your vocals and your production sound excellent on my system. You've got everything coming together in a first-class kind of way as far as I can tell. It's a round of applause from me!

All the best,
Noel

© PG Music Forums