PG Music Home
Posted By: big741 Stick Your Phone - 03/23/15 01:26 PM
Greetings, fellow BiaB enthusiasts.

This song is a little different from my last two submissions in that it's a Bluegrass tune and it has a vocal, too. I don't often write lyrics (it should be obvious why grin ), but sometimes a lyric can come in handy to get the point across.

The song uses a Realtracks style called _BGM_BNJ.STY Med temp Bluegrass w/Ban(100 RS) which uses the following Realtracks: Acoustic Doc Bluegrass Bass and Strumming Guitar, Banjo, and Rhythm Mandolin. Ac.Bass, Ac.Guitar, Banjo(solo), Mandolin.

The vocals were done by yours truly, and the harmonies were done using the built in harmonizer in my trusty Yamaha PSR-3000.
All tracks were imported into Reaper for mixing and whatnot.

WARNING! This song contains extremely mild profanity, so click at your own risk. grin

Stick Your Phone

Thanks for listening,
Dan
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Stick Your Phone - 03/23/15 02:49 PM
Good job of catching the moment in song. I'm sure we have all shared the aggravation of the inconsiderate driver. In this instance, the language 'fit' the theme and was appropriate for a bluegrass parody. I wasn't bothered by the language but find it rarely used in BG. As a parody, it worked for me and I enjoyed my listen and can associate with the circumstances.

Charlie
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Stick Your Phone - 03/23/15 03:50 PM
Well, I agree with the sentiment entirely! I cannot stand people on their phones while driving. So if you reach one or two of the people that do this on a regular basis then very well done to you. We need a bumper stick with all these lyrics on it!
Posted By: RichMac Re: Stick Your Phone - 03/23/15 05:52 PM
Love it Dan!
No missing that message.
I enjoy songs as opposed to instrumentals because they are about something
whereas instrumentals are more like soundscapes or mood pictures.
It's good to able to do both. Cheers.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Stick Your Phone - 03/23/15 06:09 PM
I get the sentiment...and share the feelings. I've played
and listened to bluegrass for 50 years or more and I'll
say that is the most outlying outlier lyric I've ever
heard. What the heck. It was fun.

J&B
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Stick Your Phone - 03/23/15 07:13 PM
Hey Dan.
Very funny and catchy.
Rob.
Posted By: big741 Re: Stick Your Phone - 03/23/15 09:17 PM
Quote:
Good job of catching the moment in song. I'm sure we have all shared the aggravation of the inconsiderate driver. In this instance, the language 'fit' the theme and was appropriate for a bluegrass parody. I wasn't bothered by the language but find it rarely used in BG. As a parody, it worked for me and I enjoyed my listen and can associate with the circumstances.

Charlie

I'm glad you enjoyed your listen, Charlie. I didn't really set out to write a bluegrass tune, but as I fleshed out the lyrics and changes a little voice in my head said, "This tune needs a banjo".grin One thing led to another and, well, you heard the result.

Quote:
Well, I agree with the sentiment entirely! I cannot stand people on their phones while driving. So if you reach one or two of the people that do this on a regular basis then very well done to you. We need a bumper stick with all these lyrics on it!

I feel your pain when it comes to texting drivers. It's without a doubt my biggest peeve when driving (man, I'm starting to sound like my parents here) smile. A bumper sticker is a fine idea. I originally thought a t-shirt would work for this, but then in a "duh!" moment I realized I was a musician of sorts and perhaps I should write a song about it.

Quote:
Love it Dan!
No missing that message.
I enjoy songs as opposed to instrumentals because they are about something
whereas instrumentals are more like soundscapes or mood pictures.
It's good to able to do both. Cheers.

Thanks, Rich. I'm more of an instrumentalist usually. It's difficult to sing while playing the saxophone or EWI. Lyrics are far from my strong point, but I think I'll keep pluggin' away at it.

Quote:
I get the sentiment...and share the feelings. I've played
and listened to bluegrass for 50 years or more and I'll
say that is the most outlying outlier lyric I've ever
heard. What the heck. It was fun.

J&B

I hope I didn't offend any bluegrass purists with this tune. It was certainly not my intent. This is kind of far from where I musically am for the most part. Not much call for bluegrass saxophone players. frown I'm glad that you took it in the spirit it was intended.

Quote:
Hey Dan.
Very funny and catchy.
Rob.

Thanks very much, Rob.

Thanks for listening,
Dan
Posted By: rsdean Re: Stick Your Phone - 03/23/15 09:59 PM
Dan,

LOL! That's perfect. smile

Bob
Posted By: FredM Re: Stick Your Phone - 03/24/15 04:24 AM
Dan,
This is fun!
Richard has some competition ☺

Fred
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Stick Your Phone - 03/24/15 09:25 AM
Dan - a clever write - especially for a guy who claims to not write much... fj
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Stick Your Phone - 03/24/15 09:43 AM
cool tune.

we'll be driving along, and my wife will say... "another idiot on their phone" .... It'll be someone in the center lane on a 3 lane interstate (yeah we have some of them here in NC... 3 lanes in one direction) The person will be doing 55 in the center lane with a 70 mph speed limit..... sure enough.... they're on the phone.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Stick Your Phone - 03/24/15 04:40 PM
I'm not a user of social media for many reasons. Your song makes some of these points so well. Good bit of fun!
Posted By: big741 Re: Stick Your Phone - 03/24/15 06:27 PM
Quote:
Dan,

LOL! That's perfect. smile

Bob

Glad you got a laugh out of this one, Bob!

Quote:
Dan,
This is fun!
Richard has some competition ☺

Fred

Thanks, Fred.

Quote:
Dan - a clever write - especially for a guy who claims to not write much... fj

Thanks, fj. This is only my third composition with lyrics. I have written a few instrumentals, though. To be honest, I don't usually pay a lot of attention to the lyrics of a song. I'm starting to now, though.

Quote:
cool tune.

we'll be driving along, and my wife will say... "another idiot on their phone" .... It'll be someone in the center lane on a 3 lane interstate (yeah we have some of them here in NC... 3 lanes in one direction) The person will be doing 55 in the center lane with a 70 mph speed limit..... sure enough.... they're on the phone.

Thanks! I see it all the time, too. I watched a semi trailer rig almost drive into a retaining wall the other day as the driver was screwing around with his phone. Scares the crap out of me sometimes! shocked

Quote:
I'm not a user of social media for many reasons. Your song makes some of these points so well. Good bit of fun!

I'm not a social media user myself. The closest I come is fora like this and SoundCloud. Glad you got a laugh out of it.

Thanks for listening,
Dan
Posted By: RnAM Re: Stick Your Phone - 03/24/15 06:56 PM
Hi Dan,

Haha, a funny song with a funny lyric, but definitely with a good message.

regards,
Rob & Anne-Marie
Posted By: big741 Re: Stick Your Phone - 03/26/15 11:05 AM
Originally Posted By: R & AM
Hi Dan,

Haha, a funny song with a funny lyric, but definitely with a good message.

regards,
Rob & Anne-Marie

Thanks very much, Rob & Anne-Marie. I appreciate your kind words.

Thanks for listening,
Dan
Posted By: occ Re: Stick Your Phone - 03/26/15 06:36 PM
Hey Dan!! I liked the harmonies. Didn't you say they were done on your Yamaha keyboard? If so, this is the best computer harmonies I have heard. Sounds more realistic! Thanks for sharing! occ
Posted By: Sundance Re: Stick Your Phone - 03/27/15 01:53 AM
LOL! Ain't it the truth.

Thanks for the laugh.

Good job. Reminded of something Steve Martin might do.

Josie
© PG Music Forums