PG Music Home
Posted By: tommyad Bloodshot Lies (Tom & Janice Co-Write) - 04/14/15 01:39 AM
Here is a Western Swing song that has been in the works for a while. I took this back down to drums and bass several times before I finally got it right. Janice came up with the melody and has laid down another of her signature vocal tracks. We welcome all comments/suggestions. Thanks, Tom

Tom Adams, Guitar and Steel Guitar
Janice Merritt, Vocal

http://tommyadamsmusic.com/music

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13099919

RealTracks in style: ~540:Bass, Electric, Pop Sw 165
RealTracks in song: 2048:Piano, Acoustic, Solo-Accompaniment CountrySwingJohn Sw 120
RealTracks in song: 1872:Fiddle, Soloist WesternSwingAndy Sw 165 (Bluesy)
MIDI SuperTracks in song: 2166:Piano, Rhythm NewOrleansSwinginPop Sw 130
RealDrums: RealDrums in Style: NashvilleSwing8^2-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

Bloodshot Lies

I don’t think that I ask too much just a little honesty

I’ve been good for you now Baby and you’ve been good for me

I’ll need cooperation if this is going to work

If you ask me nice I’ll tell the truth you’ve been a first class jerk

I took one look at you last night it’s enough to make me scream

i’m making myself crazy trying to find you some visine

You said that you’d been cryin wiping tears from your eyes

You can’t hide behind those bloodshot lies

i havent heard you sneezing so it cant be allergies

The least you could do is to tell the truth as a simple courtesy

don’t think that you can turn your head to hide the whiskey on your breath

Man you better close those eyes before you bleed half to death

i took one look at you last night it’s enough to make me scream

Webster’s called to let me know i used too many words

trying to get through to you This is so absurd

how can i still love you after all that you have done

i’ll give you one last chance to prove that you are still the one

i took one look at you last night it’s enough to make me scream

©2015 Thomas Adams/Janice Merritt
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Bloodshot Lies (Tom & Janice Co-Write) - 04/14/15 03:13 AM
Hi Janice and Tom.

Gosh! I've managed to get in first. That's a rare event. It could be a sign. I might buy a Tattslotto ticket tomorrow smile

This is fantastic (as your co-writes always seem to be). So many great and unusual rhymes! The two of you are a writing and performing powerhouse! I love the inventive hook and how you've supported it with such strong lyrics - excellent, excellent, excellent.

Janice, your singing is spectacular. Your performance really breathes life into these lyrics and transforms them into vivid 3-D images. I just sat here and let the movie unroll in my head.

Tom, your guitar work is always top notch and a pleasure to listen to. The piano break took me by surprise because I was anticipating a guitar solo... then came the violin (and I started thinking that there'd be no guitar this time around)... then you surprised me with your steel guitar. Seems like I was lulled into a false sense of expectation! That made me smile.

It sounds like you both had a huge amount of fun putting this one together!

All the best,
Noel

Posted By: RichMac Re: Bloodshot Lies (Tom & Janice Co-Write) - 04/14/15 03:37 AM
Very nice. Sounds like archetipal western swing with a lot of blues in Janice's excellent vocal.
Marvelous title!
Excellent all round. Cheers.
Tom/Janice,

Classic opening! Man! that is picture perfect!

Stunning vocal. You were born to this, girl! The mix under the vocal is just right - supporting, but allowing the vocal to shine. Boy, you sure got that bass in a nice place...

The steel swell into the chorus is special. (jealous)

The leads are all very well put together. Your best steel work so far (that I've heard) - top notch. The piano lead seemed like it needed just a hair more "punch" (volume, perhaps). The guitar was perfect! - great tone on that!

A very clever write. Solid throughout.

Everything about this is... professional. Studio quality.

floyd
Wow guys, super job. The arrangement and production on this one really shines. Excellent playing Tom and Janice is superb with the vocals.

The writing and performance of this one gave me the vibe of those long years ago when girl country singers gave us real songs.

This is realistic to me, so much more so than the current crop of female country singers can do. This song will never be heard by the mainstream because the music industry have disabled their minds, but it should be heard, it will stand up against anything by anybody out there today.

Charlie
Posted By: boehm Re: Bloodshot Lies (Tom & Janice Co-Write) - 04/14/15 01:35 PM
Hi Tom and Janice,

very funny lyrics and what an arrangement and performance!
You topped yourself with your teamwork.
Masters of vocals and guitars.
I enjoyed this very much.

Guenter
Posted By: tommyad Re: Bloodshot Lies (Tom & Janice Co-Write) - 04/14/15 03:12 PM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
[quote=Noel96]Hi Janice and Tom.

Gosh! I've managed to get in first. That's a rare event. It could be a sign. I might buy a Tattslotto ticket tomorrow smile

This is fantastic (as your co-writes always seem to be). So many great and unusual rhymes! The two of you are a writing and performing powerhouse! I love the inventive hook and how you've supported it with such strong lyrics - excellent, excellent, excellent.

Janice, your singing is spectacular. Your performance really breathes life into these lyrics and transforms them into vivid 3-D images. I just sat here and let the movie unroll in my head.

Tom, your guitar work is always top notch and a pleasure to listen to. The piano break took me by surprise because I was anticipating a guitar solo... then came the violin (and I started thinking that there'd be no guitar this time around)... then you surprised me with your steel guitar. Seems like I was lulled into a false sense of expectation! That made me smile.

All the best,
Noel

Noel, Thanks for your wonderful review. We always look forward to what you have to say. And yes this was a lot of fun. Tom
Originally Posted By: RichMac
Very nice. Sounds like archetipal western swing with a lot of blues in Janice's excellent vocal.
Marvelous title!
Excellent all round. Cheers.
Richard, You are right. Janice can definitely slide around a note with the best of them. Glad you liked the title. Tom
Tom, Janice,
Very well written and produced song. Excellent job!

Ogi
[

Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Janice and Tom.

All the best,
Noel

Noel, no matter when you respond I'm always happy to read your comments. Thank you so much for saying that about my vocal. I love this style and Tom's production made it so easy to feel.

Janice

quote=RichMac]Very nice. Sounds like archetipal western swing with a lot of blues in Janice's excellent vocal.
Marvelous title!
Excellent all round. Cheers.[/quote]

Thank you! I love western swing and blues and this song did give me a chance to combine them.

Janice
Posted By: RnAM Re: Bloodshot Lies (Tom & Janice Co-Write) - 04/14/15 10:31 PM
This one sounds great, one of your best collabs in my opinion. I like the fiddle intro that immediately sets the atmosphere of the song. The piano solo and of course Tom's guitar later on enhances things even more.
Janice's vocal is top notch.
Another winner!

Rob
First just a super lyrical hook!

And then a beautiful Western Swing!

And wow, Janice knocks it out of the park!!!

Wonderful all around!
Posted By: rsdean Re: Bloodshot Lies (Tom & Janice Co-Write) - 04/15/15 07:16 AM
Janice / Tom,

Another great one! Nothing else to say... Loved it!

Bob
Posted By: tommyad Re: Bloodshot Lies (Tom & Janice Co-Write) - 04/15/15 09:56 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Tom/Janice,

Stunning vocal. You were born to this, girl! The mix under the vocal is just right - supporting, but allowing the vocal to shine. Boy, you sure got that bass in a nice place...

The leads are all very well put together. Your best steel work so far (that I've heard) - top notch. The piano lead seemed like it needed just a hair more "punch" (volume, perhaps). The guitar was perfect! - great tone on that!

floyd

floyd, Thank you very much for once again giving us a very kind review. We appreciate everything you have to say about these songs and always look forward to your words. I actually thought the piano lead was a tad loud but maybe it's the fiddle lead that follows that is too loud. With our differing opinions on the piano, it's probably best left untouched for now. I really do appreciate all your thoughts on these songs. You're keeping me on my toes. Thanks from both of us, Tom
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Bloodshot Lies (Tom & Janice Co-Write) - 04/15/15 11:54 AM
Another hit from I-75! grin

Nicely done. Had me reachin' for a beer. cool

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: ROG Re: Bloodshot Lies (Tom & Janice Co-Write) - 04/15/15 01:08 PM
Hi there Tom and Janice.

A wonderful mix of styles, all wrapped up in a super professional package.

A bit of swing, a bit of country, a bit bluesy in places and then Janice managed to inject a fair amount of jazz into it with that amazing vocal track.

Loved every minute.

ROG.
You guys make a great team!! With Janice's vocal, Tom's guitar, and some fun, clever writing, what could possibly go wrong? From my perspective...Nothing! An excellent production that works on all levels. Great stuff guys! Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Tom/Janice,

floyd

Thank you floyd for saying that about my vocal. Some of my early memories of country music were of my daddy listening to Western Swing. And he played harmonica!

Janice

Originally Posted By: c_fogle
Wow guys, super job. The arrangement and production on this one really shines. Excellent playing Tom and Janice is superb with the vocals.

The writing and performance of this one gave me the vibe of those long years ago when girl country singers gave us real songs.

This is realistic to me, so much more so than the current crop of female country singers can do. This song will never be heard by the mainstream because the music industry have disabled their minds, but it should be heard, it will stand up against anything by anybody out there today.

Charlie

Charlie, that is incredibly nice of you to say that. It's just fun playing a small part in keeping songs like this alive no matter who hears them. I'm thrilled that you heard it and liked it.

Janice
Posted By: tommyad Re: Bloodshot Lies (Tom & Janice Co-Write) - 04/16/15 08:52 AM
Originally Posted By: c_fogle

Charlie
Charlie, "Disabled their minds" funny, sad but funny. Thanks a lot for your kind words. We were hoping you'd like it. Tom
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Tom and Janice,

Guenter
Guenter, Thanks a lot . We had a lot of fun with this one. Tom
Originally Posted By: Ognian Petrov
Tom, Janice,

Ogi
Ogi, Thank you very much for taking the time to listen and comment. Tom
Originally Posted By: R & AM
This one sounds great, one of your best collabs in my opinion. I like the fiddle intro that immediately sets the atmosphere of the song. The piano solo and of course Tom's guitar later on enhances things even more.
Another winner!

Rob
Rob, Thanks for stopping by and commenting. We appreciate it. Tom
Posted By: Sundance Re: Bloodshot Lies (Tom & Janice Co-Write) - 04/16/15 03:27 PM
Clever and fun. Some very nice western swing picking and singing.

I'm grinning. grin

Josie
Excellent work guys. What a lovely write and great production all round.

I thought visine was a South African/Zimbabwean thing?

I love the line "Man you better close those eyes before you bleed half to death".
Posted By: tommyad Re: Bloodshot Lies (Tom & Janice Co-Write) - 04/16/15 05:29 PM
Originally Posted By: gruverider

Wonderful all around!
Hey Gruve, thanks for coming by. This one was a lot of fun and Janice somehow just seems to get better and better. Tom
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Janice / Tom,

Bob
Bob, Thanks for listening and commenting. Tom
Posted By: cubanpete Re: Bloodshot Lies (Tom & Janice Co-Write) - 04/16/15 08:54 PM
Wow, Janice and Tom! What's not to like? Great mix with the RT's and live playing (terrific as always).

Mike B.
Posted By: PeteG Re: Bloodshot Lies (Tom & Janice Co-Write) - 04/16/15 11:57 PM
I saw your title the other day and have been meaning to have a listen. I thought that has to be country with that hooky title - BINGO! Just Great - Joanne you really sold it with your vocal - very pro! And Tommy great stuff on the guitars and steel. I used to have demos done by a steel player named Marty Rifkin in Santa Monica. Wondered if you might have heard him? I really enjoyed it. I always keep my visine handy in my car. cool ---Pete
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Tom and Janice,

Guenter

Thank you Guenter. I really admire your work and that makes your comments so meaningful.

Janice

Originally Posted By: Ognian Petrov
Tom, Janice,

Ogi

Thanks Ogi. I appreciate it.

Janice

Originally Posted By: R & AM
Another winner!

Rob

Thank you Rob. Tom really did a great job in arranging the song. It made it so easy for me to sing to. And thank you for mentioning the vocal!

Janice

Originally Posted By: gruverider

Wonderful all around!

That is mighty kind of you Mr Gruve. Thanks!

Janice

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Janice / Tom,

Bob

Thanks Bob!

Janice
Posted By: big741 Re: Bloodshot Lies (Tom & Janice Co-Write) - 04/17/15 06:34 PM
I quite enjoyed this number.

Great job!

Thanks for the music,
Dan
Posted By: tommyad Re: Bloodshot Lies (Tom & Janice Co-Write) - 04/17/15 07:29 PM
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi there Tom and Janice.

A bit of swing, a bit of country, a bit bluesy in places and then Janice managed to inject a fair amount of jazz into it with that amazing vocal track.

Loved every minute.

ROG.
ROG, Thanks for coming by for a listen. We enjoyed your comments and yes Janice is amazing. Tom
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
You guys make a great team!! With Janice's vocal, Tom's guitar, and some fun, clever writing, what could possibly go wrong? From my perspective...Nothing! An excellent production that works on all levels. Great stuff guys! Take care. Greg
Greg, Thanks much for your kind review. We are eagerly awaiting your next one. All the best, Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: Bloodshot Lies (Tom & Janice Co-Write) - 04/18/15 10:02 AM
Originally Posted By: Sundance

I'm grinning. grin

Josie
Josie, I am always happy to see you smiling. Thanks, Tom
Originally Posted By: JosieC

I love the line "Man you better close those eyes before you bleed half to death".
Joanne, Funny that you mentioned Visine. I was thinking that the international forum members might not get that. The bleeding eyes line is a very old saying. Some of the great old lines are ripe for the picking as they may not have been heard before by the younger generations. Thanks, Tom
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
Another hit from I-75! grin

Nicely done. Had me reachin' for a beer. cool

Regards,

Bob

Thank you Bob. Reachin' for a beer means a successful country swing song!

Janice

Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi there Tom and Janice.

Loved every minute.

ROG.

Thanks ROG! Tom did a wonderful job with this production and that made it so easy to play around with the vocal. It was very nice of you to comment on it.

Janice

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson

Thanks Gregg -- all I did was engineer the vocal but it was fun. Janice much appreciates your comments.

Bud
Posted By: dcuny Re: Bloodshot Lies (Tom & Janice Co-Write) - 04/19/15 09:01 PM
What a fun listen that was! Clever hook, good production and well sung. smile
Posted By: gibson Re: Bloodshot Lies (Tom & Janice Co-Write) - 04/20/15 04:05 AM
I don't know what to say

If my ears could talk then maybe words would appear.

Stunning in all aspects, Tom's guitar, Janice's vocal and Bud woteva he does grin

You 3 make one hell of a team.
I had to google "visine" AHH HA the American optrex, much easier to find a rhyme to visine LOL

brilliant as always

Alyn
Posted By: tommyad Re: Bloodshot Lies (Tom & Janice Co-Write) - 04/20/15 10:00 AM
Originally Posted By: cubanpete
Wow, Janice and Tom! What's not to like? Great mix with the RT's and live playing (terrific as always).

Mike B.
Hey neighbor. Thanks for stopping by. We appreciate it. Tom
Originally Posted By: PeteG
I saw your title the other day and have been meaning to have a listen. I thought that has to be country with that hooky title - BINGO! Just Great - Joanne you really sold it with your vocal - very pro! And Tommy great stuff on the guitars and steel. I used to have demos done by a steel player named Marty Rifkin in Santa Monica. Wondered if you might have heard him? I really enjoyed it. I always keep my visine handy in my car. cool ---Pete
Pete, Thanks for listening and commenting. Marty sure has a strong resume. The demo business is drying up with the advent of BIAB. Thanks again. Tom
Originally Posted By: big741

Great job!

Thanks for the music,
Dan
Thanks for the kind words Dan. Tom
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Bloodshot Lies (Tom & Janice Co-Write) - 04/20/15 11:00 PM
Tommy and Janice,

Love me some western swing. Janice you rock on this! Tommy, I be frank (even though I'm Jim), love all the arrangement. If that's you on steel and lead guitar all I can say is man do you have the touch!

WELL DONE!

By the way, gave it a five star rating on SoundClick.
Posted By: tommyad Re: Bloodshot Lies (Tom & Janice Co-Write) - 04/22/15 11:23 AM
Originally Posted By: dcuny

Thanks David, We appreciate it. Tom
Originally Posted By: gibson
I don't know what to say

Stunning in all aspects, Tom's guitar, Janice's vocal and Bud woteva he does grin

I had to google "visine" AHH HA the American optrex, much easier to find a rhyme to visine LOL

brilliant as always

Alyn
Thanks Gib, We value your comments and I knew that visine line would confuse someone. LOL, Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: Bloodshot Lies (Tom & Janice Co-Write) - 04/22/15 11:24 AM
Originally Posted By: JimFogle
Tommy and Janice,

Love me some western swing. Janice you rock on this! Tommy, I be frank (even though I'm Jim), love all the arrangement. If that's you on steel and lead guitar all I can say is man do you have the touch!

WELL DONE!

Thank You Jim. We appreciate your kind review. Tom
Originally Posted By: Sundance

I'm grinning. grin

Josie

Thanks Josie! I'm glad we started a grin.

Janice

Originally Posted By: JosieC

Thanks you so much Joanne. Bud said that he bet that visine was mostly a North American thing!

Janice

Originally Posted By: cubanpete

Mike B.

Thanks! We also enjoy your live playing and RT's.

Janice

Originally Posted By: PeteG

Thank you! Tom's steel really made the song.

Janice

Originally Posted By: big741

Great job!

Thanks for the music,
Dan

Thanks!!

Janice
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Bloodshot Lies (Tom & Janice Co-Write) - 04/27/15 11:21 AM
Great song. I love Janice's vocal. Classic counrty sound!
SD
Originally Posted By: dcuny

Thank you!

J&B

Originally Posted By: gibson
I don't know what to say

brilliant as always

Alyn

Thanks Alyn and my "woteva" on this was about zip -- just engineering Janice's vocal.

J&B

Originally Posted By: JimFogle
Tommy and Janice,

WELL DONE!

Thanks and Janice said she most appreciates you mentioning her vocal. And, yup, that is Tom playing!

J&B

Originally Posted By: SpaceDog
Great song. I love Janice's vocal. Classic counrty sound!
SD

Thank you. We all appreciate you saying that.

J&B
Posted By: olemon Re: Bloodshot Lies (Tom & Janice Co-Write) - 05/04/15 04:52 PM
What a gem! The mix is perfect!

Terrific and engaging song and production in every respect. It just sounds like this kick-a.. swing band is on stage and the 'A-team' musicians each get to take a ride.

Janice, that is one of your best performances and by that I mean stunning! Patty Loveless could back you up:)

Y'all are a winning combo:)
Posted By: tommyad Re: Bloodshot Lies (Tom & Janice Co-Write) - 05/04/15 06:51 PM
Originally Posted By: olemon

Terrific and engaging song and production in every respect. It just sounds like this kick-a.. swing band is on stage and the 'A-team' musicians each get to take a ride.

Janice, that is one of your best performances and by that I mean stunning! Patty Loveless could back you up:)

Scott, Always glad to see you show up. Thanks from both of us. Your comments are appreciated. Tom
Originally Posted By: olemon

Apologies for being so late in responding to your very kind comments. We have been on the fly of late. You put a HUGE smile on Janice's face when she read what you had written. She was genuinely taken back by your comparison! Thanks again.

Bud
Posted By: MarioD Re: Bloodshot Lies (Tom & Janice Co-Write) - 05/16/15 11:11 PM
I'm very late to the party and everything that I wanted to say already has been said. All I can add is WOW this is fantastic and if I win a lottery I'm starting a record company you three will be the first I sign! Janice can sing, Tom play and Bud, BTW what does Bud do confused grin grin
© PG Music Forums