PG Music Home
Posted By: floyd jane A Heart To Break - 04/17/15 12:23 PM
A love song - nestled inside a break-up song.

Janice Merritt provides the perfect harmony.

A HEART TO BREAK

all my friends wonder what i'll do
will i try to make this hard on you
they don't understand forgiving you
for leaving me with this heartache
but until you, i never knew
i had a heart to break

never knew how it felt to love someone
   from the very depths of my soul
   to need someone like the air i breath
   my heart beating out of control
   to finally feel the fire inside
   when passion awakes
   until you, i never knew
   i had a heart to break

i never had a dream come true before
you showed me just what hearts are for
i'll never regret loving you
no matter how long the healing takes
'cause until you i never knew
i had a heart to break

never knew how it felt to love someone
   from the very depths of my soul
   to need someone like the air i breath
   my heart beating out of control
   to finally feel the fire inside
   when passion awakes
   until you, i never knew
   i had a heart to break

until you, i never knew
   i had a heart to break

The Band...
RealTracks in style: ~518:Bass, Electric, Pop HalfNotes Ev 085
RealTracks in song: ~365:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 085
RealTracks in song: ~2051:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking CountryBrent Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 1767:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm Pop16 Ev16 085
RealTracks in song: 2024:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm CountryJohn Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 1760:Fiddle, Background Pop16ths Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 1856:Cello, Background PopCountry Ev 085
RealDrums in style: NashvilleEven8^5-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

Harmony: Janice Merritt (thanks, sis!...)
(...and thanks Bud, too! - it's a package deal)

Comments encouraged.
Thanks for listening.

floyd
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: A Heart To Break - 04/17/15 01:03 PM
Hey I got in first with this one! That makes a change.

Now that is definitely how to write a love song! You two just keep doing it and doing it so well.
Posted By: rsdean Re: A Heart To Break - 04/17/15 04:16 PM
Floyd / Janice,

Beautiful song - love the vocals on this. Great job - really enjoyed it.

Bob
Posted By: robsmusic Re: A Heart To Break - 04/17/15 04:31 PM
Another great song in your string of consistently great songs!

-rob
Posted By: RnAM Re: A Heart To Break - 04/17/15 06:14 PM
Hi Floyd and Janice,

Beautiful love song. Very well done!

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: big741 Re: A Heart To Break - 04/17/15 06:24 PM
Bravo!

Great job.

Thanks for the music,
Dan
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Heart To Break - 04/17/15 07:01 PM
Originally Posted By: JosieC
Hey I got in first with this one! That makes a change.

Now that is definitely how to write a love song! You two just keep doing it and doing it so well.

Thanks, Joanne...

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Floyd / Janice,

Beautiful song - love the vocals on this. Great job - really enjoyed it.

Bob

Bob - thanks. I appreciate your support...

Originally Posted By: robsmusic

-rob

rob - it is nice to see you "pop up" here. thank you. would love to see another song from you - they are always spectacular...
Posted By: ROG Re: A Heart To Break - 04/17/15 07:19 PM
Hi Floyd.

A great song and well up to your usual standard of professionalism. Ok, so one thing I might have done differently. Not to say better, you understand, just different.

If Janice's vocal was going to feature as a duet, I'd have raised it up a bit. If it was going to be backing vocals I'd have tracked it up several times, put it into stereo and left the volume where it was.

It's not often I can find anything to change about your productions, so I hope you'll not be offended.

ROG.
Posted By: tommyad Re: A Heart To Break - 04/17/15 07:23 PM
Fridays with floyd. What a great way to kick off the weekend. A beautiful write. A beautiful production. A beautifully presented vocal. Everything you touch comes up gold. I have to mention Sis hit a grand slam on the harmony. I think the song is fantastic, but that harmony takes it up a level. A great idea to keep her volume higher than your normal harmony level. Another hit in a long line of masterpieces. Just so damn good. Tom
Posted By: PatrickH Re: A Heart To Break - 04/17/15 09:30 PM
Floyd,
I wish I had thought of that. Great spin on a heartbreak song. Bravo.
Patrick
Posted By: Sundance Re: A Heart To Break - 04/17/15 10:22 PM
Really love the lyrics on this - great write. I'm especially in line love with your hook ...."cause until you I never knew I had a heart to break"

Wish I'd thought of that one too.

Josie
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: A Heart To Break - 04/17/15 10:45 PM
Your music is so much a Forrest Gump box of chocolates, We never know what we're getting until until we start the song.

Ever changing and unique and not really ever 'in the style of' or this 'sounds like' anyone else.

It is always so much fun to see one of your new posts on the User Forum.

This is another top notch presentation. Thanks for posting.

Charlie
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Heart To Break - 04/18/15 09:53 AM
Originally Posted By: R & AM
Hi Floyd and Janice,

Beautiful love song. Very well done!

Rob and Anne-Marie

Thanks, guys. We appreciate that....

Originally Posted By: big741
Bravo!

Great job.

Thanks for the music,
Dan

Thanks, Dan...
Posted By: boehm Re: A Heart To Break - 04/18/15 01:14 PM
Hi Floyd and Janice,

just beautiful!

Guenter
Posted By: gruverider Re: A Heart To Break - 04/18/15 02:06 PM
Wonderful write with a great hook!

Stark and passionate vocals, great mix!

I enjoy your mix of acoustic guitar and acoustic piano here.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: A Heart To Break - 04/18/15 04:56 PM
Top notch everything!! Great vocal team, beautiful relatively sparse arrangement which builds nicely (strings are perfect), excellent mix. There are some elements of great songwriting which stand out so clearly here:
1) Melody is simple and sweet. There is a nice motif which makes the melody catchy enough to sing after one listen, and pretty enough to want to.
2) A lyrical angle which is quite unique, and positive. There aren't a lot of songs (any?) which constructively address the upside of a failed relationship. And, the singer takes the moral high ground. I believe the audience likes to sing along with songs where they relate to the message of the singer. And, the message, though unique, is not hard to relate to or contrived. I love some great bitterness as much as the next guy (Dylan's LIKE A ROLLING STONE) but this message is refreshing and sweet.
3) The song oozes craft without being over-crafted. The lyrics are simple, straightforward, and understandable on the first listen. The emotion is great. I hear this as a song that could play during the credits of a film with the same theme. Watch out Dianne Warren!!

Great work Floyd. An instant classic!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Heart To Break - 04/18/15 06:31 PM
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Floyd.

A great song and well up to your usual standard of professionalism. Ok, so one thing I might have done differently. Not to say better, you understand, just different.

If Janice's vocal was going to feature as a duet, I'd have raised it up a bit. If it was going to be backing vocals I'd have tracked it up several times, put it into stereo and left the volume where it was.

It's not often I can find anything to change about your productions, so I hope you'll not be offended.

ROG.

ROG - comments on songs never offend me. LOL... if you knew where I've been... smile You are a pro - and I respect your opinion. In this case, you sort of defined exactly where I wanted the harmony on this to sit... almost a duet, but still a harmony - and I think I achieved that. (If you see Tom's comment, I think he would agree with me). A Linda Ronstadt-J.D.Souther Faithless Love thing. Part of the "problem" (if there is one) is that Janice is just so danged good it's hard not to "key in" on her voice. (It makes it hard to mix because of that). I get what you are saying and I think it depends on where you listen. I mixed this one more for headphones than speakers and I think in headphones it has a very intimate blend... (at least that's gonna be my excuse here smile ).

I really appreciate your ears and will always take note of your comments/concerns and suggestions...
Posted By: Noel96 Re: A Heart To Break - 04/18/15 11:39 PM
floyd,

What a magnificent presentation all around!

I've never before heard a song that takes a broken relationship and uses it as a lens to look at what was valuable. That's very clever lyric writing.

The melody and harmony are fantastic, too. In particular, I really like the way that a number of melody notes that create suspensions resolve upwards rather than downwards. For example, right at the start you sing "all" and resolve it musically up to "my"; then "won-" behaves similarly with "-der". This pattern continues and becomes one of the melody's signatures. Now that's classy.

Janice's harmonies are terrific and blend perfectly. Your and her voice sound so very good together.

I enjoyed this a great deal.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: RichMac Re: A Heart To Break - 04/19/15 04:04 AM
Hi Floyd. Strong melody and a passionate vocal in another fine song.
Lovely bit of violin in there too.

Am a little confused by the rhyme scheme in verse one.
AAABAB. Verse two AABCBC.

Wonderful sympathetic harmonies from Janice.
Very enjoyable . Cheers.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Heart To Break - 04/19/15 12:18 PM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Fridays with floyd. What a great way to kick off the weekend. A beautiful write. A beautiful production. A beautifully presented vocal. Everything you touch comes up gold. I have to mention Sis hit a grand slam on the harmony. I think the song is fantastic, but that harmony takes it up a level. A great idea to keep her volume higher than your normal harmony level. Another hit in a long line of masterpieces. Just so damn good. Tom

Tom - thanks for the nice words... appreciate that. Janice makes everything she touches special. Couldn't ask for better partners than J&B...

Originally Posted By: nobilis
Floyd,
I wish I had thought of that. Great spin on a heartbreak song. Bravo.
Patrick

Patrick - nice to see you back around! Thanks for taking this for a spin...
Posted By: vicarn Re: A Heart To Break - 04/19/15 02:53 PM
You didn't lose anything by changing forums Floyd. :-)
Up to your usual standard in every way.

Vic
Posted By: dcuny Re: A Heart To Break - 04/20/15 01:42 AM
As usual, a solid production in every respect. I also noticed that you'd placed Janice a bit differently than usual, but it wasn't bad - it was only a bit jarring because it wasn't what I was expecting.

After the chorus, I had a hankering for a bridge where you and Janice might have some back and forth... I guess that shows how much you tapped into that classic "duet" genre for me.
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: A Heart To Break - 04/20/15 02:51 AM
Fabulous song Floyd and Janice!
Posted By: gibson Re: A Heart To Break - 04/20/15 04:24 AM
floyd,

-rob

Absolutely correct, marvelous song, that Janice lady has a good voice to compliment yours

Another hit from the fJB stable
Keep 'em coming

Alyn
Posted By: musiclover Re: A Heart To Break - 04/20/15 08:37 AM
Another Floyd classic write and Janice's harmony is great.

Each instrument coming through clear and concise a lesson in music production.

I really enjoyed the listen.

musiclover
Posted By: 90 dB Re: A Heart To Break - 04/20/15 08:38 AM
" until you, i never knew
i had a heart to break "

Great line. Well done, I-75!

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Heart To Break - 04/20/15 06:04 PM
Originally Posted By: Sundance
Really love the lyrics on this - great write. I'm especially in line love with your hook ...."cause until you I never knew I had a heart to break"

Wish I'd thought of that one too. Josie

Thanks, Josie. When someone says that it always reminds me of the song by Doug Stone - "Why Didn't I Think Of That" (Bob McDill and Paul Harrison) - which was exactly one of those titles that we all said that about!!! Now, THAT was a great one...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN9JXytpteY

Originally Posted By: c_fogle
Your music is so much a Forrest Gump box of chocolates, We never know what we're getting until until we start the song.

Ever changing and unique and not really ever 'in the style of' or this 'sounds like' anyone else.

It is always so much fun to see one of your new posts on the User Forum.

This is another top notch presentation. Thanks for posting.

Charlie

That's a nice thing to say, Charlie... thank you..
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: A Heart To Break - 04/20/15 10:52 PM
floyd,

Well crafted song. To me the song has a Ronnie Dunn feel to it. Janice, wonderful harmony behind floyd. You match him note for note and close harmony like that's difficult.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: A Heart To Break - 04/21/15 10:44 AM
Thanks to each and everyone who mentioned my harmony. It was a small contribution to a great song. It is very easy to sing with floyd because of the feeling that he puts into his vocals. I'm always drawn in by a vocal that has soul no matter what type of music it is. This was fun and I really do appreciate the comments.

Janice
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Heart To Break - 04/22/15 09:15 AM
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Floyd and Janice,

just beautiful! Guenter

Thanks, Guenter - we appreciate that...

Originally Posted By: gruverider
Wonderful write with a great hook!

Stark and passionate vocals, great mix!

I enjoy your mix of acoustic guitar and acoustic piano here.

Thanks, Lawrence...
Posted By: FredM Re: A Heart To Break - 04/23/15 05:50 AM
Hi Floyd a d Janice,
Just came back from the south, and opening with a Floyd and Janice's special.
Nothing to add to these wonderful comments.
Enjoyed it thoroughly!
Fred
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Heart To Break - 04/23/15 12:41 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Top notch everything!! Great vocal team, beautiful relatively sparse arrangement which builds nicely (strings are perfect), excellent mix. There are some elements of great songwriting which stand out so clearly here:
1) Melody is simple and sweet. There is a nice motif which makes the melody catchy enough to sing after one listen, and pretty enough to want to.
2) A lyrical angle which is quite unique, and positive. There aren't a lot of songs (any?) which constructively address the upside of a failed relationship. And, the singer takes the moral high ground. I believe the audience likes to sing along with songs where they relate to the message of the singer. And, the message, though unique, is not hard to relate to or contrived. I love some great bitterness as much as the next guy (Dylan's LIKE A ROLLING STONE) but this message is refreshing and sweet.
3) The song oozes craft without being over-crafted. The lyrics are simple, straightforward, and understandable on the first listen. The emotion is great. I hear this as a song that could play during the credits of a film with the same theme. Watch out Dianne Warren!!

Great work Floyd. An instant classic!! Take care. Greg

Greg - what a very nice review! It is always nice to have various aspects of the writing noted - you covered a bunch of things! thank you so much for all of that...

Originally Posted By: Noel96
floyd,

What a magnificent presentation all around!

I've never before heard a song that takes a broken relationship and uses it as a lens to look at what was valuable. That's very clever lyric writing.

The melody and harmony are fantastic, too. In particular, I really like the way that a number of melody notes that create suspensions resolve upwards rather than downwards. For example, right at the start you sing "all" and resolve it musically up to "my"; then "won-" behaves similarly with "-der". This pattern continues and becomes one of the melody's signatures. Now that's classy.

Janice's harmonies are terrific and blend perfectly. Your and her voice sound so very good together.

I enjoyed this a great deal.

All the best,
Noel

Noel - It is so very nice to have you around on a regular basis - I know your life has been hectic... You and Greg have combined to make me blush a bit...nice to have the "positive from a negative" aspect of the song noted. And to have you both make note of the melody is quite nice... gave me a good smile... I love having Janice do these songs with me - it lifts them to a new level. Thanks for the listen..

Originally Posted By: RichMac
Hi Floyd. Strong melody and a passionate vocal in another fine song.
Lovely bit of violin in there too.

Am a little confused by the rhyme scheme in verse one.
AAABAB. Verse two AABCBC.

Wonderful sympathetic harmonies from Janice.
Very enjoyable . Cheers.

Thanks, Richard. I consider the rhymes to be AABB in both verses - the other parts of that are incidental.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Heart To Break - 04/24/15 10:33 AM
Originally Posted By: vicarn
You didn't lose anything by changing forums Floyd. :-)
Up to your usual standard in every way.

Vic

Thanks, Vic. Not a change - this is my home forum... been here a while... it is as good as they come...

Originally Posted By: dcuny
As usual, a solid production in every respect. I also noticed that you'd placed Janice a bit differently than usual, but it wasn't bad - it was only a bit jarring because it wasn't what I was expecting.

After the chorus, I had a hankering for a bridge where you and Janice might have some back and forth... I guess that shows how much you tapped into that classic "duet" genre for me.

David - always appreciate you stopping by... and always enjoy your comments - you often have a different perspective than most others and I like that... The "back and forth" of course wouldn't happen here because it was not intended to be a duet but a "just shy of duet harmony". I've always been a fan of that. As I mentioned earlier, onr of my favorites is "Faithless Love"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMUw67bNQ8Q
J.D. Souther's harmony starts @ 1:40 and is close to Linda's level...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Heart To Break - 04/24/15 10:35 AM
Originally Posted By: PeterGannon
Fabulous song Floyd and Janice!

Peter - It is always a pleasure to have you drop by. You, your team, and your incredible software have changed my life - in a truly incredible way.... a dream come true. Allowing me to bring songs to life as I could only imagine previously. Thank You!

Posted By: Cornet Nev Re: A Heart To Break - 04/24/15 03:56 PM
I don't normally comment as I feel under qualified to do so, especially not these days since I dropped out of brass playing. However I have now listened to quite a few of your songs and liked them all Floyd. I can only echo what everyone else has said about the lyrics and putting the positive note to a negative situation. I look forward to more of your work.

Nev.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Heart To Break - 04/25/15 05:44 PM
Originally Posted By: gibson
floyd,

-rob

Absolutely correct, marvelous song, that Janice lady has a good voice to compliment yours

Another hit from the fJB stable
Keep 'em coming

Alyn

Thank you, Alyn... we do appreciate it...

Originally Posted By: musiclover
Another Floyd classic write and Janice's harmony is great.

Each instrument coming through clear and concise a lesson in music production.

I really enjoyed the listen.

musiclover

Thanks, musiclover... we appreciate you dropping by for a listen...

Originally Posted By: 90 dB
" until you, i never knew
i had a heart to break "

Great line. Well done, I-75!

Regards,

Bob

Robert - always pleased to catch your attention with whatever that takes... smile

Originally Posted By: JimFogle
floyd,

Well crafted song. To me the song has a Ronnie Dunn feel to it. Janice, wonderful harmony behind floyd. You match him note for note and close harmony like that's difficult.

Jim - I really appreciate that! Ronnie Dunn is a favorite... Janice is really good at hitting things just right... thanks for noticing - I'm sure she appreciates that...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Heart To Break - 04/27/15 05:00 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Thanks to each and everyone who mentioned my harmony. It was a small contribution to a great song. It is very easy to sing with floyd because of the feeling that he puts into his vocals. I'm always drawn in by a vocal that has soul no matter what type of music it is. This was fun and I really do appreciate the comments.

Janice

Janice - thank you for being a part of this - a big part in my book! You're the greatest!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Heart To Break - 04/27/15 05:00 PM
Originally Posted By: FredM
Hi Floyd a d Janice,
Just came back from the south, and opening with a Floyd and Janice's special.
Nothing to add to these wonderful comments.
Enjoyed it thoroughly!
Fred

Thanks, Fred. Good to see ya back!
Posted By: aleck rand Re: A Heart To Break - 04/27/15 06:38 PM
Nice one Floyd.

Dean
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Heart To Break - 04/28/15 06:47 PM
Originally Posted By: Cornet Nev
I don't normally comment as I feel under qualified to do so, especially not these days since I dropped out of brass playing. However I have now listened to quite a few of your songs and liked them all Floyd. I can only echo what everyone else has said about the lyrics and putting the positive note to a negative situation. I look forward to more of your work.

Nev.

Nev - Thanks, so much, for dropping by for a listen and a comment. I really do appreciate that...

Originally Posted By: aleck rand
Nice one Floyd.

Dean

Dean - it is great to see you back! I have an idea for something we might do...
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: A Heart To Break - 04/30/15 02:18 PM
Nice collaboration with Janice! Your voices complement one another well, especially in this genre.

I like the premise of the song. It's inspiring when a broken heart phoenix rises from the ashes of defeat and reframes the experience into something positive and uplifting.

I liked the way you eased into the song with one acoustic guitar and added instrumentation slowly.

And of course, strings are always the perfect touch in an emotive song

update:
I want to add that I think the video did a better than average job of depicting the song. You obviously put some thought into how each scene should be framed and which parts of the song should be depicted visually. As an adult male the cuteness factor of the stuffed bears was a little bit hard to watch, but given the message in the song, I'd have to say that a sentimental video remained consistent with the mood of the song. You are a born communicator, Floyd... this video tells me that you have an intuition about the best way to present info to an audience, be it audio or video. I strongly encourage you to consider honing that talent by making more videos.

Considering the impact that one viral video can have, putting your songs on youtube with clever video interpretations could be a game changer.

Or not. I'm just thinking out loud here. And I know we've already had that conversation.
Posted By: Achordocaster Re: A Heart To Break - 04/30/15 03:02 PM
Floyd & Janice,

Great vocals! Beautiful song! As others have said... I really like the hook... Wish I had thought of it. grin

Greg
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: A Heart To Break - 05/03/15 02:43 PM

oops.. I posted the video comments to the wrong song, and now my EDIT capability is no longer active! Although I can't change it here, I'll be reposting the comments to the correct song in a few minutes...
Posted By: olemon Re: A Heart To Break - 05/04/15 08:52 AM
Beautiful! Excellent writing and performing, as per usual:)
Posted By: lancew Re: A Heart To Break - 05/12/15 05:24 PM
beautiful and stylish. Really well done!!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Heart To Break - 05/13/15 08:32 AM
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
Nice collaboration with Janice! Your voices complement one another well, especially in this genre.

I like the premise of the song. It's inspiring when a broken heart phoenix rises from the ashes of defeat and reframes the experience into something positive and uplifting.

I liked the way you eased into the song with one acoustic guitar and added instrumentation slowly.

And of course, strings are always the perfect touch in an emotive song

Thanks, Pat... I intended to leave your comment as the last, but the songs keeps popping up... just know that I always appreciate knowing your thoughts on a song...

Originally Posted By: Achordocaster
Floyd & Janice,

Great vocals! Beautiful song! As others have said... I really like the hook... Wish I had thought of it. grin

Greg

Thanks, Greg - we appreciate that...

Originally Posted By: olemon
Beautiful! Excellent writing and performing, as per usual:)

Thanks, Scott...

Originally Posted By: lancew
beautiful and stylish. Really well done!!

Appreciate the listen, Lance...
Posted By: dani48 Re: A Heart To Break - 05/13/15 03:55 PM
Hi, Floyd & Janice !

This must be one of your best
if not actually the best both as
a write and performance !!!!!

I canĀ“t say anything else but WOW !!!!

Congrats to this wonderful collab !!!

Cheers
Dani
© PG Music Forums