PG Music Home
Posted By: tommyad Quite Enough - 05/01/15 01:09 PM
In this world of excess. When is enough enough? I think this quest for more more more has infected other areas of our lives. Hopefully we will all learn to appreciate what we have. All comments/suggestions encouraged. Tom

Guitar and Vocals, Tom

RealTracks in style: ~388:Bass, Electric, Metal Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 691:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming AcRockBright Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 695:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm ElecRockArp Ev 120 (A:arp)
RealTracks in style: 697:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm ElecRockDirty Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 671:Organ, B3, Background Southern Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 1258:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopShiningRockSync Ev 120
RealDrums: RealDrums in Song: BluesRockEv^1-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Open HiHat

http://tommyadamsmusic.com/music

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13113408

I don't wanna leave ya
No I don't wanna go
we keep fighting and it's never gonna be right and
It's something we both know

It's a dicey situation
One I'd never thought about
Never thought I'd even
Be thinking bout leavin
And here we are now

How do people even live like that

You know what I'm talkin bout honey

Drop down turnaround look where we’re at

A worn out engine always running

Wanting more and never ever having quite enough

Is that the only way left for us to think about love

thought it would easy
maybe it’s better this way
just keep trying I guess I would be lyingif i said I didn’t want to stay

what if it’s different
from what we’d thought we’d find
What if I found just having you around
Would keep me satisfied

How do people even live like that

You know what I'm talkin bout honey

A worn out engine always running

Is that the only way left for us to think about love

©2015 Thomas Adams
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Quite Enough - 05/01/15 01:22 PM
"Wanting more and never ever having quite enough"

My sentiments exactly Tommy. Why do we never quite have enough! We ALWAYS want more, more and more.

Great job. Love the guitar as usual and your vocals fit the song perfectly.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Quite Enough - 05/01/15 01:32 PM
Good to see this song from you Tommy.. I recall having a conversation about the concept of ENOUGH when I visited in February. I suspected at the time that a song along those lines might follow.

I especially like the live feel of this one! It's a very lively tune, a real foot tapper... which almost belies the more somber theme of the song... but on the other hand it keeps the topic more interesting than burdensome.

I like the line "A worn out engine always running", which paints a picture that fits the story quite well.

Great guitar and vocal work, in addition to your already legendary song writing and mixing abilities!
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Quite Enough - 05/01/15 02:14 PM
Nice one.

It rocks in a classic fashion. This is a good song. I like it.

It has a looseness to it that makes it sound "real". I was trying to think what rocker this made me think of and couldn't pin one specific one down, but I hear influences in there from several.

The live guitar you played sounds like it's slightly flat from the BB tracks but....even with that, I was kinda OK with it.... it in itself adds to the uniqueness of this song. I would have tuned up, but like I said, it kinda works OK in the end. Wondering anyone else hears that and what they think.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Quite Enough - 05/01/15 02:41 PM
This is a good one. Good write, mix, arrangement and production. It fits your vocal style nicely and the guitar playing is stellar.

Enjoyed my listen.

Charlie
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Quite Enough - 05/01/15 05:15 PM
Love your low notes Tommy.(and the high ones smile )
Great write with plenty of power.
Rob.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Quite Enough - 05/01/15 05:36 PM
I like the line "A worn out engine always running", which paints a picture that fits the story quite well.

A big ditto on that!! That line struck me right away. Awesome song!! Love the vibe, love the mix, love it all. The way the vocal drops in fast on the chorus and the melodic hook at that point are PERFECT! This is my favorite of your rockers Tom. Still love More as a ballad but that's kind of apples and oranges but both are juicy and delicious. Great stuff!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: RichMac Re: Quite Enough - 05/01/15 08:52 PM
Love the whole song Tom and think the drums are extra good.
I don't think the engine is quite worn out yet!
Cheers.
Posted By: tommyad Re: Quite Enough - 05/02/15 11:01 AM
Originally Posted By: JosieC
"Wanting more and never ever having quite enough"

My sentiments exactly Tommy. Why do we never quite have enough! We ALWAYS want more, more and more.

Great job. Love the guitar as usual and your vocals fit the song perfectly.

Joanne, Thanks for your compliments. Now I want more! LOL, Tom
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
Good to see this song from you Tommy.. I recall having a conversation about the concept of ENOUGH when I visited in February. I suspected at the time that a song along those lines might follow.

I especially like the live feel of this one! It's a very lively tune, a real foot tapper... which almost belies the more somber theme of the song... but on the other hand it keeps the topic more interesting than burdensome.

Great guitar and vocal work, in addition to your already legendary song writing and mixing abilities!
Pat, This song was born out of that conversation we had. Thanks for your nice words. Good to see you back. Tom
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Nice one.

It rocks in a classic fashion. This is a good song. I like it.

It has a looseness to it that makes it sound "real". I was trying to think what rocker this made me think of and couldn't pin one specific one down, but I hear influences in there from several.

The live guitar you played sounds like it's slightly flat from the BB tracks but....even with that, I was kinda OK with it.... it in itself adds to the uniqueness of this song. I would have tuned up, but like I said, it kinda works OK in the end. Wondering anyone else hears that and what they think.
Hack, you got me again! I checked the tuning and it was quite flat. Stupid me. Maybe I could have said when one guitar is out of tune a little, it sets up a chorusing effect and results in a bigger sound. But the simple truth is I forgot to check the tuning. It is hard to hear and I am quite surprised and a bit envious that you picked it out. Glad you liked it. Tom
Posted By: boehm Re: Quite Enough - 05/02/15 11:48 AM
Hi Tommy,
Originally Posted By: c_fogle
This is a good one. Good write, mix, arrangement and production. It fits your vocal style nicely and the guitar playing is stellar.
Enjoyed my listen.

Big +1 from me.

Guenter
Posted By: Sundance Re: Quite Enough - 05/02/15 01:12 PM
Love it! Great melodic hooks with those guitar licks. Very catchy melody. The lyrics - love the even and leavin rhyme with the modern melodic phrasing - lots of cool rhymes in there with only one (drop down turnaround) that is a bit cliché but not a deal breaker. The drive straight into the chorus ramps up the energy. Indie rock with a great Costello vibe. Vocals are terrific too. Hooky hooky hooky - this is how it's done.

A+ my favorite of your rockers.

Josie
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: Quite Enough - 05/02/15 01:32 PM
Great song and guitar playing Tom!
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Quite Enough - 05/02/15 03:40 PM
Another fine rocker Tom. I would like some more detail - Guitar (I'm thinking Strat)/ Amp / Effects / Signal path....

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: big741 Re: Quite Enough - 05/02/15 09:46 PM
I enjoyed the heck out of this tune. smile

Liked the guitar work, too.

Thanks for the music,
Dan
Posted By: PatrickH Re: Quite Enough - 05/02/15 11:22 PM
Tom,
You picked a great groove for the song. The guitar lines were great. I can imagine another guitar harmony line ( like you did on the vocals). Thoroughly enjoyed.
Posted By: gibson Re: Quite Enough - 05/03/15 12:42 PM
Tom,

Quote:
Have to disagree, in a small way, with Josie (Sundance) I like that phrase.

Your voice sounds a bit different on this, still good tho' but different somehow, Your guitar, as always, shines cool

Quote:
sounds like me and guitars grin

Great song, solid write.

Alyn

ps Herb (Guitarhacker) has a good ear doesn't he?
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Quite Enough - 05/03/15 02:21 PM
Tom,

SUPER groove on this. The perfect combination of drums, bass and guitar - just the right amount of each. As the verse fell into the chorus I thought I was listening to the Heartbreakers...

One of the best snare sounds I've heard on the forum.

The TP feel continued throughout. Catchy in the same ways that a Petty song is - the combination of the words and music/rhythm and vocal added together and cannot be separated. The guitar under the chorus is nice. Excellent mix - almost forgot to say that - it has become a given...

An excellent rock write. A great listen. Can't get it out of my head...

floyd
Posted By: tommyad Re: Quite Enough - 05/04/15 07:33 PM

Enjoyed my listen.

Charlie
Charlie, Thanks so much for your kind comments and continued support. Tom
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Love your low notes Tommy.(and the high ones smile )
Great write with plenty of power.
Rob.
Rob, thanks for stopping by and giving it a spin. Tom
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson

A big ditto on that!! That line struck me right away. Awesome song!! Love the vibe, love the mix, love it all. The way the vocal drops in fast on the chorus and the melodic hook at that point are PERFECT! This is my favorite of your rockers Tom. Still love More as a ballad but that's kind of apples and oranges but both are juicy and delicious. Great stuff!! Take care. Greg
Greg, Thanks so much for your generous review. I always look forward to what you have to say. Tom
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Quite Enough - 05/04/15 09:44 PM
Big sound on this song.

Excellent lyrics. Clever song writing.
Posted By: RnAM Re: Quite Enough - 05/05/15 08:38 AM
Hello Tom,

we almost missed this laugh It sounds a bit like Huey Lewis and the news.
Steady rock and very melodic!

Rob & Anne-Marie
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Quite Enough - 05/05/15 10:49 AM
I found myself thinking of Tom Petty each time
I listened to this. So I get ready to respond,
read the thread, and see that floyd has already
mentioned it. So maybe I'm validated :-)

The mix is outstanding and you sing and play
the heck out of it so keep that engine
running...it ain't wore out.

Terrific.

J&B
Posted By: tommyad Re: Quite Enough - 05/05/15 07:45 PM
Originally Posted By: RichMac
Love the whole song Tom and think the drums are extra good.
I don't think the engine is quite worn out yet!
Cheers.
Richard, I have been spending more time lately getting the drum sound where I want it. Glad you noticed and glad you liked it. Tom
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Tommy,
Enjoyed my listen.

Big +1 from me.

Guenter
Guenter, thanks for listening and commenting. Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: Quite Enough - 05/05/15 07:51 PM
Originally Posted By: Sundance
Love it! Great melodic hooks with those guitar licks. Very catchy melody. The lyrics - love the even and leavin rhyme with the modern melodic phrasing - lots of cool rhymes in there with only one (drop down turnaround) that is a bit cliché but not a deal breaker. The drive straight into the chorus ramps up the energy. Indie rock with a great Costello vibe. Vocals are terrific too. Hooky hooky hooky - this is how it's done.

A+ my favorite of your rockers.

Josie
Josie, I almost gave up on this one just because of that cliche. I just couldn't seem to come up with a replacement line, so I just went with it. Thanks for the great review! I am flattered. Tom
Originally Posted By: PeterGannon
Great song and guitar playing Tom!
Peter, Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I sincerely appreciate it. Also a big thank you for creating and continuing to improve this amazing program that has touched so many lives. Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: Quite Enough - 05/06/15 10:15 AM
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
Another fine rocker Tom. I would like some more detail - Guitar (I'm thinking Strat)/ Amp / Effects / Signal path....

Regards,

Bob

Bob, Thanks for the comments. I used Scuffham Amps S-Gear. The preset was Vintage Mod Delays. the guitar was an Epiphone Elitist Les Paul. For electric guitars I always record direct. For acoustic guitar I mike it. For steel guitar I mike it through a 69 Fender Deluxe. I stopped playing live a few years ago, but I always used a Voodoo Labs sparkle drive. It is like a dirty amp on one side and a clean boost on the other that you can dial in a great mix. Essentially like the old two amp method using one amp. I thought that may be of some interest to you. Thanks again. Tom
Originally Posted By: big741
I enjoyed the heck out of this tune. smile

Liked the guitar work, too.

Thanks for the music,
Dan
Dan, Thanks for stopping by and giving a listen. Tom
Originally Posted By: nobilis
Tom,
You picked a great groove for the song. The guitar lines were great. I can imagine another guitar harmony line ( like you did on the vocals). Thoroughly enjoyed.
Patrick, That is a good idea about the two guitars. I may try to twin something in the future. Thanks, Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: Quite Enough - 05/06/15 07:00 PM
Originally Posted By: gibson
Tom,

Quote:
Have to disagree, in a small way, with Josie (Sundance) I like that phrase.

Your voice sounds a bit different on this, still good tho' but different somehow, Your guitar, as always, shines cool

[quote]Wanting more and never ever having quite enough
sounds like me and guitars grin

Great song, solid write.

Alyn
ps Herb (Guitarhacker) has a good ear doesn't he?

Alyn, you're right the voice is processed completely different than my normal settings. I turned up the saturation. Just continuing to experiment. Thanks for your kind words and yes Herb has an amazing ear. Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: Quite Enough - 05/06/15 07:06 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Tom,

SUPER groove on this. The perfect combination of drums, bass and guitar - just the right amount of each. As the verse fell into the chorus I thought I was listening to the Heartbreakers...

One of the best snare sounds I've heard on the forum.

The TP feel continued throughout. Catchy in the same ways that a Petty song is - the combination of the words and music/rhythm and vocal added together and cannot be separated. The guitar under the chorus is nice. Excellent mix - almost forgot to say that - it has become a given...

An excellent rock write. A great listen. Can't get it out of my head...

floyd

floyd, Love me some Petty. Not consciously trying for his sound on this one though. The drums went through many different iterations of EQ until I got them there. Glad you noticed. I probably spent more time on the drums than I ever have before. Thanks for your continued support. Tom
Posted By: cubanpete Re: Quite Enough - 05/06/15 08:23 PM
Excellent song Tom, vocals and....oh what the heck, everything is excellent! Now when I listen to any of the songs written and performed by any of you guys makes me support even mote Pete's idea of a BIB radio station. So much talent around!

Later

Mike B.
Posted By: ROG Re: Quite Enough - 05/07/15 10:09 AM
Hi Tommy.

Yeah, that chorus is pure Tom Petty.

I just loved everything about this song.

It has to be one of your very best.

Everything working together and exactly as it should.

Brilliant.

ROG.
Posted By: tommyad Re: Quite Enough - 05/07/15 06:32 PM
Originally Posted By: JimFogle
Big sound on this song.

Excellent lyrics. Clever song writing.
Jim, Thanks so much for your kind words. I appreciate hearing from you. Tom
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Hello Tom,

we almost missed this laugh It sounds a bit like Huey Lewis and the news.
Steady rock and very melodic!

Rob & Anne-Marie
Rob, Now that you mention it I also am hearing a little Huey Lewis in there. Thanks, Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: Quite Enough - 05/09/15 12:26 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
I found myself thinking of Tom Petty each time
I listened to this. So I get ready to respond,
read the thread, and see that floyd has already
mentioned it. So maybe I'm validated :-)

The mix is outstanding and you sing and play
the heck out of it so keep that engine
running...it ain't wore out.

Terrific.

J&B
J&B, Thanks guys. glad you liked it. Tom
Originally Posted By: cubanpete
Excellent song Tom, vocals and....oh what the heck, everything is excellent! Now when I listen to any of the songs written and performed by any of you guys makes me support even mote Pete's idea of a BIB radio station. So much talent around!

Later

Mike B.
Mike, Thanks for the nice words. Tom
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Tommy.

Yeah, that chorus is pure Tom Petty.

I just loved everything about this song.

It has to be one of your very best.

Everything working together and exactly as it should.

Brilliant.

ROG.
ROG, I always enjoy your comments as well as your songs. Thanks, Tom
© PG Music Forums