PG Music Home
Posted By: JPeden73 New Song: Things Will Never Be the Same - 05/15/15 05:57 PM
Hello all,

Here is one I had sitting around for a bit and finally found time to record it. The song is about a local musician from my home town. It's my first attempt at mixing using Real Band which proved to be a bit of a challenge. Thanks for listening and comments appreciated.

Things Will Never Be the Same

Tracks:
Bass - 534 Electric Pop Sw 065
Drums - Pop128
Solo Guitar - 576 Soloist Blues Monday BB Sw 065
Rhythm Guitar - 566 Blues Monday Sw 065
Piano - 2167 Country 128 John Sw 065
Organ - 686 B3 Pop Ev 120
Saxes and Voice: Me

Lyrics:
Things will never, never be the same
Things will never, never be the same
I don't know what I'm doin'
My heart's in ruins
Things will never, never be the same again

No I never thought I'd lose a friend
No I never thought I'd lose, my friend
The news was unexpected
We got disconnected
No I'll never, never be the same again

It used to be I thought I'd see the hard times comin'
Thought I knew where they were found
But it seems our lives are strings you can't keep strummin'
But I still need you around

And in the Falls and all around the town
From miles and miles away they'd come to hear your sound
And the blues you were playin'
Kept those folks stayin'

And for all that we've been through
When it comes down to me and you
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Song: Things Will Never Be the Same - 05/15/15 07:13 PM
Jeff,

Right at this moment, I'm on my third listen and I'm sitting here thinking, "This is such a great sound; great production; sensational arrangement; terrific presentation; excellent singing." It seems to me that you have everything in exactly the right place in the mix to create a thoroughly enjoyable listen.

What an excellent tribute to your friend.

Regards,
Noel

Posted By: Rob4580 Re: New Song: Things Will Never Be the Same - 05/15/15 08:06 PM
Wow!
Just love this.
Lovely chord progression.
Perfectly executed.
Just waiting for the radio.
What else can I say.
Rob.
Absolutely sensational. Every instrument perfectly sitting in place to paint a perfect sound-scape. Every so often a stellar arrangement comes along. We just got the presented with another one.
Superb vocals.
Truly fantastic - everywhere.

Trev
Posted By: MarioD Re: New Song: Things Will Never Be the Same - 05/15/15 09:06 PM
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Wow!
Just love this.
Perfectly executed.
What else can I say.
Rob.

Originally Posted By: Noel96
Jeff,

Right at this moment, I'm on my third listen and I'm sitting here thinking, "This is such a great sound; great production; sensational arrangement; terrific presentation; excellent singing." It seems to me that you have everything in exactly the right place in the mix to create a thoroughly enjoyable listen.

What and excellent tribute to your friend.

Regards,
Noel

These two gentlemen hit the nail right on the head! This is one great blues song. I loved the sax, your vocal, the backing tracks and the mix. Everything is perfect IMHO.
Posted By: olemon Re: New Song: Things Will Never Be the Same - 05/16/15 10:04 AM
What?!? Wonderful. Are you familiar with Swamp Pop? I would not be surprised to hear this on the air in Baton Rouge or Lafayette. Two mid-westerners (SD for me) and Swamp Pop. Unexpected.

Those opening vocals, those harmonies, that's you? Awesome!

Excellent song, mix, production. Perfect lead guitar edits!

Take a bow.
Jeff,

What a great listen!

Beautiful, heart-felt vocal. Terrific arrangement. nice selection of instruments. Your sax fits perfectly.

Nice Oooohs!....

Excellent write. I could hear Bonnie Raitt covering this - you've got the guy version covered nicely...

The guitar shot at 1:30 is a bit loud - the BIAB shots often are - which makes it stand out in the mix. The rest of the mix is so nice - you might consider pulling that down with an envelope to match better...

You need to come by more often!!!

This is SO good...

floyd
Posted By: JPeden73 Re: New Song: Things Will Never Be the Same - 05/16/15 04:33 PM
Thanks for all of the comments - truly appreciated.
Jeff,

Regards,
Noel

Noel, thanks for taking the time to listen. Really appreciate the compliments.

Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Wow!
Just love this.
Perfectly executed.
What else can I say.
Rob.

Thank you, Rob

Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Absolutely sensational. Every instrument perfectly sitting in place to paint a perfect sound-scape. Every so often a stellar arrangement comes along. We just got the presented with another one.
Superb vocals.
Truly fantastic - everywhere.

Trev

Trev, thanks for listening. The two guitar RT's and the piano RT seemed to work well together. They almost seemed to arrange themselves))

Mario, thanks for commenting on the sax. This is almost the toughest part to squeeze in for me.

Originally Posted By: olemon
What?!? Wonderful. Are you familiar with Swamp Pop? I would not be surprised to hear this on the air in Baton Rouge or Lafayette. Two mid-westerners (SD for me) and Swamp Pop. Unexpected.

Those opening vocals, those harmonies, that's you? Awesome!

Excellent song, mix, production. Perfect lead guitar edits!

Take a bow.

Scott, there was definitely supposed to be a New Orleans/Louisiana vibe to this one. My friend in the tune was originally from Port Aransas, Texas. Glad you picked up on that!

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Jeff,

What a great listen!

Beautiful, heart-felt vocal. Terrific arrangement. nice selection of instruments. Your sax fits perfectly.

Nice Oooohs!....

Excellent write. I could hear Bonnie Raitt covering this - you've got the guy version covered nicely...

The guitar shot at 1:30 is a bit loud - the BIAB shots often are - which makes it stand out in the mix. The rest of the mix is so nice - you might consider pulling that down with an envelope to match better...

You need to come by more often!!!

This is SO good...

floyd

Floyd, as always the feedback is greatly appreciated. I'll take a listen at that shot again and see if I can tame it a little. Thanks for the nice words. I really appreciate it.
Posted By: RnAM Re: New Song: Things Will Never Be the Same - 05/16/15 10:07 PM
Hello Jeff,

Well, you sure are new asset to the forum!
We love the soloist guitar, your vocals and the professional use of BiaB (almost doesn't sound like BiaB wink

Rob and Anne-Marie
I was pretty much blown away from the oohs, and never let down!! This is amazingly well put together in every sense. You jam so well with the "boys in the box". It is seamless and "live". If there was one thing I would change, it would be to bring the vocal UP-it is awesome and deserves the spotlight. Welcome! Great stuff!! Take care. Greg
OUTSTANDING!!!!

The has "The Subdudes" all over it and
that is a good (very good) thing. I won't
parse it out. EVERYTHING works and it
just got added to our Soundcloud playlist.

Strong stuff.

WTG

J&B
Posted By: tommyad Re: New Song: Things Will Never Be the Same - 05/17/15 06:47 PM
I am all in on this one. Great arrangement. Great vocals. Great sax. My,my,my. I am going to crack another cold one and go back in for another listen. The chord progression is outstanding. Looking for more where tihis came from. Bravo! Tom
Posted By: gibson Re: New Song: Things Will Never Be the Same - 05/18/15 04:12 AM
Quote:
OUTSTANDING!!!!

wonderful vocals and the backing vocals are excellent.

enjoyed the listen

Alyn
Posted By: JPeden73 Re: New Song: Things Will Never Be the Same - 05/18/15 02:54 PM
Thanks again for the encouraging comments.

Originally Posted By: RnAM
Hello Jeff,

Well, you sure are new asset to the forum!
We love the soloist guitar, your vocals and the professional use of BiaB (almost doesn't sound like BiaB wink

Rob and Anne-Marie

Rob and Anne-Marie, thanks for listening. Being called professional is truly a compliment coming from you two.

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
I was pretty much blown away from the oohs, and never let down!! This is amazingly well put together in every sense. You jam so well with the "boys in the box". It is seamless and "live". If there was one thing I would change, it would be to bring the vocal UP-it is awesome and deserves the spotlight. Welcome! Great stuff!! Take care. Greg

Thanks Greg. You are right, BiaB is truly a nice group to jam with!

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
OUTSTANDING!!!!

The has "The Subdudes" all over it and
that is a good (very good) thing. I won't
parse it out. EVERYTHING works and it
just got added to our Soundcloud playlist.

Strong stuff.

WTG

J&B

Janice and Bud, thanks for giving it a listen, and thanks for introducing me to the Subdudes.

Originally Posted By: tommyad
I am all in on this one. Great arrangement. Great vocals. Great sax. My,my,my. I am going to crack another cold one and go back in for another listen. The chord progression is outstanding. Looking for more where tihis came from. Bravo! Tom

Thanks Tom. It means a lot coming from a blues guy like yourself.

Originally Posted By: gibson
Quote:
OUTSTANDING!!!!

wonderful vocals and the backing vocals are excellent.

enjoyed the listen

Alyn

Thanks for listening, Alyn.
This song reminds me of the Eagles !

Great music, lyrics and arrangement.

Loved it my friend.

Trax
Jeff,

Regards,
Noel

So Plus 1 from me. Exactly how I felt from the opening bar. The song has a great vibe to it. I can picture a great many top artists who would have loved to cut this. To me, this is a lot of the Pure Prairie League sound when Vince Gill was fronting them.
Posted By: Sundance Re: New Song: Things Will Never Be the Same - 05/27/15 02:56 AM
Jeff! I'm trying to catch up on here as I have time and almost missed this one. So happy I didn't.

As you know you are one of my favorite singers. Your voice reminds me of the great Timothy B. Schmidt (Poco, Eagles) yet all you. Bring up the vocal. Like Greg said, it's mixed too low in this mix and you want to always spotlight that great voice. Love the arrangement and super sax.

Great job.

Josie
Posted By: RichMac Re: New Song: Things Will Never Be the Same - 05/27/15 04:26 AM
Lovely blues. Great instrument mix and nice balance.
Well I agree the voice could come up. Very nice . Cheers.
Yep...I too got a Henley/Eagles vibe from this.

Very well done.
Jeff,

Very, very nice! Like has been said, your vocals are so nice, I would like to have heard them brought up a bit. Need to hear more from you.

Steve
Posted By: PRADON Re: New Song: Things Will Never Be the Same - 05/28/15 05:28 AM
Hello

Don't worry, your first RB mix is pro, we can hear each instrument, and turn the volume up there's no problem with the speakers
Both sax and solo guitar are interesting
Posted By: dcuny Re: New Song: Things Will Never Be the Same - 05/29/15 02:16 AM
What they said!

Awesome harmonies hooked me into the song at the beginning. You've got a fantastic voice, and a song that fits it. The arrangement convinced me that real people were playing it, and the mix was excellent.
Posted By: JPeden73 Re: New Song: Things Will Never Be the Same - 05/29/15 07:21 PM
Wow, I really appreciate the comments.

As many have mentioned, I also agree the vocals needed to be a little higher in the mix. I think the problem is that I'm a little behind the curve on how to utilize RB to the fullest. Another problem might be the mic I'm using to record myself....probably need to upgrade there. Anyways, I will keep working on it. You guys set the bar pretty high around here!

Thanks again.
© PG Music Forums