PG Music Home
Posted By: Greg Johnson NEW SONG POST: Catch me (when I fall) - 05/17/15 10:54 PM
This song is the first ever in which I wrote all the music in my head before I put pen to paper (except the bridge which was added later). It came to my in my car (one of my most inspired places for music for some reason-maybe because that's the only place I'm not surrounded by racket). I had the concept and the title for a while. When we were on Spring break in Lake Tahoe, we went to play in the snow. It was a warm Spring here so I just brought my Crocs and no shoes. Up at the higher altitude, it was chilly so I waited on the side of the road in the car while the family made a snowman and had a snowball fight. I pulled the list of activities for the week from the timeshare we were staying at out of my pocket, unfolded it, and proceeded to write these lyrics on the back (I'm frequently unprepared when I get a moment of peace). This is quite contemporary for me-sounds like the 80's or 90's versus 60's/70's. I sent Floyd Jane an MP3 and he helped me tremendously with the mix which was kind of a mess (THANKS FLOYD). Hope you enjoy. I'll post the RTs later. Comments encouraged!! Take care. Greg

CATCH ME (when I fall)

I don’t need someone to tell me I’m funny
To stroke my ego and laugh out loud
I’m no longer seeking the crowd’s approval
No, I’m way beyond that now

What I need now is a friend
A soul to share my beliefs and dreams with
A smile….that reflects the light that shines within
A love that’s warm when days are cold
A strong and steady hand to hold
When my back's against the wall
And to catch me when I fall

I’ve had my fill now of good time strangers
Who three years in, have no idea of who you are
I’m not a child, looking for amusement
But I’m still wishing on a star

I’m dying for some truth
I’m searching for a heart not tainted
Faith, that somehow has survived this world
Eyes that see beyond the skin
That truly see the man within
And find acceptance with it all
Someone to catch me when I fall

When I’m mired in hopelessness
When I’m feeling fragile and blind
I need to reach out
And never have doubt
About the love that I will find

https://soundcloud.com/gjohnson-2/catch-me
Posted By: tommyad Re: NEW SONG POST: Catch me (when I fall) - 05/17/15 11:10 PM
Now That was worth the wait! A fantastic vocal, a really good strong write, a well planned arrangement, a clean mix, and an inspired ending. This is just super all the way around. A triple A ,five star posting. Now if you don't just absolutely love this, there is something seriously wrong with you. This one's special! Tom
Posted By: PatrickH Re: NEW SONG POST: Catch me (when I fall) - 05/17/15 11:29 PM
+1 Tom's comment. Really nicely delivered song. I especially enjoyed the interlude into the sax solo ( and beyond).
Posted By: gibson Re: NEW SONG POST: Catch me (when I fall) - 05/18/15 04:19 AM
Greg,

enjoyed that. +1 to ALL the other comments.
In my opinion it be great to end the song with just the drums playing and fading out.
But hey good song!!

Lucky you were wearing those crocs LOL!

Alyn
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: NEW SONG POST: Catch me (when I fall) - 05/18/15 05:02 AM
Right up I got that seventies feel.
Great vocal especially the backing vocals.

This does have a real element of sole searching.
I can also hear a touch of John Lennon in your vocals.
As song writer's I think we all have moments like these.
Loved the outro.
Rob.
Posted By: olemon Re: NEW SONG POST: Catch me (when I fall) - 05/18/15 11:59 AM
This is an excellent song. Lyrically solid, great message, the music and production match that message and sell it. Love the lead and BG vocals.

Well done!
Posted By: JPeden73 Re: NEW SONG POST: Catch me (when I fall) - 05/18/15 02:01 PM
Hi Greg,

I really enjoyed this one too. It has a nice breezy California vibe to it that's really easy to listen to. Nice job on the mix as well - very clean. Thanks for sharing this!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: NEW SONG POST: Catch me (when I fall) - 05/18/15 07:53 PM
This is SUCH a beautiful song. The write is so very strong. No word out of place and they fall on the ear like magic. There is feeling - strong feeling - in every single line. Delicious melody. This is songwriting at the highest levels.

The arrangement is gorgeous. The vocal drips sincerity. The background vocals - perfectly supportive yet another dimension of their own.

I've heard this a bunch. I like it more and more with each listen.

Love that sax.

You should be a star - you are in my book.

floyd
Posted By: MarioD Re: NEW SONG POST: Catch me (when I fall) - 05/18/15 08:05 PM
A BIG +1 to everything that has been said thus far: great vocals, lyrics, backing tracks and mix.

To really really nit-pick I would eliminate the count in; the song is way too good for that. But on the bright side that is the only thing that I would change.
This is a great write, arrangement and production at every level. Enjoyed this one a lot. And, it seems we now have a template and reference for the FJ drum levels....

Good vocals on this one too. I always enjoy your submissions.

Charlie
Posted By: boehm Re: NEW SONG POST: Catch me (when I fall) - 05/19/15 06:31 AM
Hi Greg,
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
This is SUCH a beautiful song. The write is so very strong. No word out of place and they fall on the ear like magic. There is feeling - strong feeling - in every single line. Delicious melody. This is songwriting at the highest levels.

I especially liked the background vocals.

Guenter
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: NEW SONG POST: Catch me (when I fall) - 05/19/15 07:42 AM
Greg

You just never fail to deliver.

Having Floyd to conspire with can only value-add to anything musical. I really like your style where you jump triads between notes, perfect 5th's etc. It's a signature that makes your songwriting really stand-out.

I can hear Michael Franks in there somewhere.

The sax break fits perfectly, you could not have been done better. The mix is great with a perfect drum rhythm sitting nicely behind, same as the backing vocals.

You continue to set high standards.

Thanks for another one.

Trevor
It's all here:

- a strong thought provoking write

- an engaging melody delivered by one of the forum's top vocalists

- a creative choice of RT's - the sax is great

- a mix that allows all of the above to really shine

Yeah, we liked it -- a lot. A fine addition to our
SC playlist!!

J&B
Posted By: RnAM Re: NEW SONG POST: Catch me (when I fall) - 05/19/15 06:48 PM
Hi there Greg,

This is another very cool one with your very own distinctive sound!
A cool write, cool vocals and (maybe even cooler) backing vocals. A great bridge and the sax solo also works nicely.

Rob & Anne-Marie
Really nice.

Ditto on the harmony comments.. really well done.

The part of this that grabbed me was the lyric writing in the choruses. Word smithery at it's finest.

Sax was cool but I'd probably have used it for fills a bit earlier so that it didn't come as a total surprise in the solo. A few notes at the end of the choruses would have introduced it earlier.

Probably one of the better writes in this forum this year so far.

The nits: I can't quite put my finger on it but the drums don't seem to fit right. Maybe too loud, or too busy in places. Or the treatment.... a reverb that puts it in a different sonic place than the rest of the song. Perhaps a combo of several.

Excellent job.
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: NEW SONG POST: Catch me (when I fall) - 05/20/15 04:36 PM
Greg,
I really enjoyed this one. Outstanding from start to finish.
Thanks for giving the back-story as well. It's always cool to hear how songs are insprired.
SD
Greg,

Let me just add my agreement with everyone who has commented on what a good write this is! I really like this one of yours. Thanks for sharing it.

Steve
Thanks for the kind words my brother. You have no idea how much they mean to me. As one of your biggest fans, your opinion means a lot to me. You are on a roll!! Take care. Greg
Thanks Patrick. Appreciate you listening and taking time to comment. I was really pleased that the sax fit so naturally into the song. Take care. Greg
Thanks for the nice words Alyn. The ending with drums is an interesting idea. Could even begin with drums as well and build over a few measures to bring in the other instruments. In a tune like this, the drums are really the heartbeat. You are a very creative thinker! Got a kick out of Fish and Chips! Take care. Greg
Thanks for listening and commenting Rob. I am a product of the 60's/70's era musically. I certainly find a comparison to John Lennon very flattering. Thanks! I'm really enjoying the diversity of songs you're posting. Your vocals are uniformly excellent! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Noel96 Re: NEW SONG POST: Catch me (when I fall) - 05/23/15 02:57 PM
Hi Greg,

I've listened to this song quite a few times now. It just keeps getting better and better. As everyone has said, either explicitly or implicitly, this is OUTSTANDING! It's an incredibly inventive way of using AABA form and modifying it to do the job it needs to.

I especially like the back end of each A-section (from the 5th line of lyrics onwards). Melodically, harmonically, rhythmically and lyrically these sub-sections cascade with musicality and creativity and weave some wonderful musical magic. To my ears, it's like the first four lines of lyrics in the A-sections set the stage and, from line 5 on, the main act takes over and dazzles with brilliance. I really admire how you've achieved this lyrical and musical contrast through structure. Incredible!

Ok... it's time for another listen!

All the best,
Noel

P.S. When it comes to mixing, floyd is one of the forum's best. Every time I listen to one of his songs, I'm left with the feeling that there's so much I still need to learn when it comes to mixing. In my opinion, you'll never go wrong listening to floyd's advice.

Posted By: Cornet Nev Re: NEW SONG POST: Catch me (when I fall) - 05/23/15 07:39 PM
Can't knock this one or at least not much, the lyrics are superb and well written regardless of the writing formulae, the fit and that's what matters. The music and the harmony of the backing singers is great and just loved the sax instrumental, the only minor criticism is that I thought the out throw was a tad too long, so I agree with the drum at the end suggested, and shortened down a little. and no in my sound system the drums weren't too loud or heavy, just right for the song and the feel of it.
Hi Greg. I am late to this party so it has all already been said. But I must tell you how much I enjoyed the vocal (I guess I am a vocal kind of person). Great write. Well done Greg.

PS.Is that you singing the background vocals as well?
THanks for the kind words Scott. Really appreciate your comments. You've been doing some really good stuff. Loved Chicory!! Take care. Greg
Thanks Jeff. Very much appreciate your nice comments. Have to give a lot of credit for the mix to Floyd Jane. It was quite a mess when I first sent him an MP3 but he ID'd the problems for me which made a huge difference. Take care. Greg
Thanks for that wonderful review Floyd. It is humbling to receive such high praise from the most seasoned writer on the forum. AND thanks so much for your help with the mix which was incredible. You do have the golden ears, along with the golden pen! Take care. Greg

nice song, harmony and vocal.
More I listen and more I like it.
I would have liked a guitar solo at the end but it's also good
with the sax

Hello.
Thanks for listening and taking time to comment Mario. It means a lot to me. Really glad to have you back posting again. Missed hearing your stuff!! Take care. Greg
Charlie, thanks so much for the kind words. You were very generous with your praise on this one and it really means a lot to me. I always look forward to hearing your stuff too!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: RichMac Re: NEW SONG POST: Catch me (when I fall) - 05/25/15 07:31 PM
Fantastic!
And to think I almost missed it.
Loved it from the first bar.
Truly interesting and unique.
Bravo.
Cheers.
Guenter, thanks so much!! Keep posting those remixes. You are amazing with that!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Sundance Re: NEW SONG POST: Catch me (when I fall) - 05/27/15 02:07 AM
Loving it here. Beautiful song and arrangement. Someone else mentioned the laid back CA vibe and I agree. Lots of depth in the mix and a spot on ending imho. Love those harmonies.

Terrific Greg.

Josie
Thanks for the kind words Trevor. Yes, having Floyd's help was huge! Thanks for taking time to listen and post. Take care. Greg
Thanks J and B!! You guys are always so supportive and encouraging, and it is hugely appreciated! I have been digging the BIAB sax stuff lately! Take care. Greg
Posted By: dcuny Re: NEW SONG POST: Catch me (when I fall) - 05/29/15 03:29 AM
Where's the "like" button?

There's really nothing left to add, other than to say that I liked it a lot!
R and AM. Thanks so much for the positive words and encouragement! You guys always do great stuff!! Some of the best vocals and sweetest arrangements/mixes on the forum, and you produce that quality at an amazing pace. Take care. Greg
The part of this that grabbed me was the lyric writing in the choruses. Word smithery at it's finest.

Very much appreciate that feedback Herb. I know you are one of the most active listeners on the forum, and a compliment like that from you is huge in my book! Take care. Greg
Posted By: dani48 Re: NEW SONG POST: Catch me (when I fall) - 06/01/15 10:38 AM
Hi, Greg !

This is the best I´ve heard
from you ! Just wonderful
and I don´t really fine
the right words for this -
how about - MASTERPIECE

Cheers
Dani
Thanks for the nice feedback SD! Enjoyed your new one. Thanks for taking the time to post. Much appreciated! Take care. Greg
Thanks for the kind words Steve. You're doing some great stuff lately, and your mixes/arrangements are superb!! Take care. Greg
Thanks so much for the kind review Noel. I love the way you get into the deep analysis of song structure. It is fascinating, and it is always interesting to note when things work and why. Love your feedback! Take care. Greg
Thanks Coronet Nev! Appreciate you taking time to listen and comment. Take care. Greg
Thanks Joanne! Really appreciate the kind words. Boy, you have been busy lately. The project is wonderful!! Take care. Greg
Thanks RichMac!! Much appreciate your kind words, and always appreciate your clever and interesting contributions to the forum!! Take care. Greg
Thanks David. Good to see you around again. I hadn't seen you post for a while. Love your thoughtful analysis. We're about due for another from you. You write some great lyrics. I wish you'd hook up with a singer (lot of good ones on the forum!). Appreciate the kind words! Take care. Greg
Dani, So nice to have you back around!! The forum would be missing a lot without you. THanks for your overly kind comments on my latest! Take care. Greg
Posted By: 90 dB Re: NEW SONG POST: Catch me (when I fall) - 06/09/15 05:28 PM
Very nice Greg. I can't add to what's already been said, except to say I really love this song. I was hearing some Brian Wilson in there somewhere, which is always a good thing. cool

Regards,

Bob
Thanks so much Bob. A compliment from you is very valued by me-you do some great music and mixes! Really like the cover you did of Joel's song. Thanks again! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: NEW SONG POST: Catch me (when I fall) - 06/12/15 08:59 PM
Greg,

Everybody has said everything I want to say much better than I would say it. I really, really hope this came out close to what you heard in your mind because it is really, really good and I REALLY mean it. crazy

I didn't get a seventies or eighties vibe. I believe the song would play well on an adult contemporary radio station.
Thanks so much Jim for those extremely flattering comments! It means a lot to me. Take care. Greg
© PG Music Forums